BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> First girl group to claim 100 weeks in Top 10
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Frenchie
post 30th July 2021, 05:08 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 72,030

Little Mix make history as first girl group to claim 100 weeks in UK singles chart Top 10
The group celebrate a landmark 100 weeks in the singles Top 10 across all of their releases.

Little Mix celebrate hitting a landmark 100 weeks in the Top 10 on the Official Singles Chart - more than any other girl group in UK chart history.

In the same week the group's figures at the iconic Madame Tussauds were unveiled, Heartbreak Anthem - the trio's collaboration with Galantis and David Guetta - places at Number 7, marking their 100th week in the Top 10 across all of their releases.

“Wow! It’s amazing, and we wouldn’t have done this without you guys," she said. "You never fail to blow us away – you’re just incredible and we wouldn’t be here without you. Thank you.”

A collective 100 weeks in the Top 10 far exceeds any other girl group in UK chart history - the closest are Girls Aloud, with 61 weeks across their 21 Top 10 singles. Behind them are iconic Motown group The Supremes at 59 weeks, followed by Sugababes at 57 weeks, and Spice Girls on 50 weeks.

Little Mix have landed 18 UK Top 10 singles to date, including five Number 1s, most recently in January this year with Sweet Melody. That track is also their longest running Top 10 single, at 13 weeks, followed by Shout Out To My Ex and CNCO collaboration Reggaeton Lento at 11 weeks.

What's more, Little Mix look set to extend that record even further; their new collaboration with Anne-Marie Kiss My (Uh Oh) lands at Number 17 on this week's chart and could climb in the coming weeks.

Girl groups with the most weeks in the Official Singles Chart Top 10
Little Mix - 100 weeks
Girls Aloud - 61 weeks
The Supremes - 59 weeks
Sugababes – 57 weeks
Spice Girls - 50 weeks
Pussycat Dolls - 43
All Saints – 41
Bananarama – 40
Atomic Kitten - 38
Eternal - 35
Destiny’s Child - 35

Little Mix's longest-running Top 10 singles
Sweet Melody - 13 weeks
Shout Out To My Ex - 11 weeks
Reggaeton Lenton (with CNCO) - 11 weeks
Touch - 10 weeks
Heartbreak Anthem (with Galantis, David Guetta) - 9 weeks

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/l...-top-10__33680/
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 30th July 2021, 05:57 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 120,499

Such amazing news, truly Little Legends wub.gif

+Quote this post
M477h3w
post 30th July 2021, 06:51 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 81,871

Amazing!!!

+Quote this post
shindymindy
post 30th July 2021, 07:15 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 2,021

Legends only!

+Quote this post
Perriechu
post 30th July 2021, 07:33 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 109,885

when they exceed another 10 weeks in the top 10 they will also pass Take That, The Rolling Stones and Queen and become the 5th Group/Band overall with the most weeks in the top 10, they currently sit at #8

They are also joint 7th for female acts.

Heartbreak Anthem will easily stick around for a few more weeks and then Kiss My (Uh Oh) can take over.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 30th July 2021, 07:38 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Incredible feat. I love that 2 out of 5 of their longest top 10 runners are songs released in the run up to their 10th year. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 30th July 2021, 09:34 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 120,499

QUOTE(jsweetxe @ Jul 30 2021, 08:33 PM) *
when they exceed another 10 weeks in the top 10 they will also pass Take That, The Rolling Stones and Queen and become the 5th Group/Band overall with the most weeks in the top 10, they currently sit at #8

They are also joint 7th for female acts.

Heartbreak Anthem will easily stick around for a few more weeks and then Kiss My (Uh Oh) can take over.

I love how you said when they exceed another 10 weeks in the top 10 cheeseblock.png

This post has been edited by Slayer: 30th July 2021, 09:34 PM

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 31st July 2021, 06:53 AM
Post #8
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

That's impressive.

So 39 weeks clear of #2.

How far ahead were they before Sweet Melody was released?

+Quote this post
shindymindy
post 31st July 2021, 10:57 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

They will be number 3 on this list by the end of the year I think.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 31st July 2021, 11:38 AM
Post #10
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

Tip 3 definitely in sight, especially if they release one or two more songs and they’re as big as the current singles.

+Quote this post
Perriechu
post 31st July 2021, 12:00 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 109,885

QUOTE(Slayer @ Jul 30 2021, 10:34 PM) *
I love how you said when they exceed another 10 weeks in the top 10 cheeseblock.png

oh you know I have faith in our girls! there’s absolutely no stopping them now 😎

+Quote this post
Mangø
post 31st July 2021, 10:55 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151

I'm not knocking their success or popularity but I wish the article provided some context as to why they're so far ahead of Girls Aloud - it's clear to anybody who follows the charts that songs hang around for a lot longer in the top ten in the streaming era compared to entering high and then falling in the held back phsyical/download era, so it's only natural that they would be so far ahead. Joe Public obviously isn't aware of that and thinks it's a much more incredible achievement than it actually is. Again, not knocking the girls and they deserve every bit of success they've had, but you need to look at the full picture.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 31st July 2021, 11:20 PM
Post #13
Group icon

Is that point not irrelevant when Little Mix are the 7th group to achieve this and the top 6 are all acts from (WAY) before the streaming era/had to hold their releases back etc..?

Or should we look at the bigger picture and ignore GA's achievements because if Little Mix were held back also, they would likely have broken GA's consecutive top 10 record etc..?

It's just a very moot point. It's not like Little Mix have hit the top 10 every time they've released or had top 10 singles with 2 weeks or less inside the top 10.

+Quote this post
Mangø
post 31st July 2021, 11:54 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151

I don't see how it's a moot point at all? They've had 18 top 10 singles and Girls Aloud had 21 - it's just that many of Little Mix's top 10 singles are from the streaming era when top 10 singles generally hang around for a lot longer. If we took Little Mix's entire chart era and shifted it back 10 years, or if we took Girls Aloud's entire chart era and moved it forward 10 years then they'd probably be on a very similar number of total weeks inside the top 10, that's the point I'm making.

Yes it's still a very respectable achievement but context is everything.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 1st August 2021, 07:56 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

Well done Little Mix 👏

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 1st August 2021, 01:57 PM
Post #16
Group icon

QUOTE(Mangø @ Aug 1 2021, 12:54 AM) *
I don't see how it's a moot point at all? They've had 18 top 10 singles and Girls Aloud had 21 - it's just that many of Little Mix's top 10 singles are from the streaming era when top 10 singles generally hang around for a lot longer. If we took Little Mix's entire chart era and shifted it back 10 years, or if we took Girls Aloud's entire chart era and moved it forward 10 years then they'd probably be on a very similar number of total weeks inside the top 10, that's the point I'm making.

Not necessarily? It's all very hypothetical and "what if". Also, it's not like Little Mix are an unbeatable streaming force. Every release it's "Ugh. Their streaming lets them down" etc.. nearly EVERY release. They've had songs miss the top 10 IN the streaming era. The top 6 above them are all acts from before the streaming era. The only thing that gives LM an advantage in this is their longevity as an act. Even removing their 2/3 of their biggest hits they still out perform GA in the amount of weeks there. It's an OCC record. It's how the charts are compiled. Their longest runners inside the top 10 have been legit hits (and actually it's harder to get long running top 10 hits due to ACR if you're not in their quick enough)

Just bored of people discrediting LM for an impressive record that should be celebrated and applauded. It happens every time they achieve something "oh they wouldn't be there if it wasn't for streaming", "certifications need to be changed" etc.. like, erm... lets argue that with EVERY ARTIST that is in the charts right now.

+Quote this post
shindymindy
post 1st August 2021, 02:57 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Little Mix aren’t a streaming force to constantly get the ‘but steams help them massively’ talk we always hear.

Yes it of course helps them a bit, but I don’t think they’d do any worse if they were in a non-streaming time.
There are other acts that can’t match their success and they’re around at the same time with streaming. We need to see it for what it actually is - they’re incredibly successful and rightly so.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 1st August 2021, 04:06 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

QUOTE(Mangø @ Aug 1 2021, 12:54 AM) *

I agree with this as the charts are so different now, even leaving girls Aloud out if we look at earlier little mix chart runs they are so different to their later ones. All this aside they have built an amazing career in their first 10 years.

+Quote this post
Slick
post 1st August 2021, 05:44 PM
Post #19
Group icon
electric butterflies
Pronouns: he/him
User: 70

QUEENS! That list is full of legends.

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post 1st August 2021, 09:09 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059

The fact streaming dominates the charts these days and songs have insanely long chart runs makes it even harder to get top 10 singles nowadays. If anything it's more impressive that Little Mix have managed to be such a success and earn that place on the list considering previous groups were ALWAYS guaranteed a top ten single by holding their song back for 2 - 3 months.

There was also the advantage of Girls Aloud (etc) that they could promote their singles on multiple TV shows a week and get multiple boosts in sales each time. In 2021 TV performances have little impact on the charts and there's nothing to promote on besides late night talk shows. Gone are the days of appearing on morning shows like GMTV and This Morning or lunchtime shows like Alan Titchmarsh and stuff like Blue Peter/CD:UK etc.

Of course every group has had their struggles within their 'era' but I'd definitely say it's harder to get a top 10 single nowadays. If this was the sales/iTunes/CD era then Little Mix would probably have had more number 1 singles and songs like Love Me Like You/Hair/No More Sad Songs/Change Your Life would all have been easy top 10's as well.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 10:30 PM