BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
19 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> United Kingdom (You Decide) · Eurovision Song Contest 2019, Michael Rice - Bigger Than Us
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Silas
post 19th May 2019, 02:24 PM
Post #341
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

So many excellent points here.

The BBC at it’s heart needs to forget what it thinks a Eurovision song sounds like and just send a genuinely good song that happens to be 3mins long. If Radio1 wouldn’t put it on the A list then why the f*** would the rest of Europe?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 19th May 2019, 02:29 PM
Post #342
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161

All of this.

The constant 'let's stop ploughing money' and 'we could send Adele etc' I've seen online today drama.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 19th May 2019, 03:34 PM
Post #343
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

If we really did send Adele or Ed Sheeran, I suspect there would be many people in the rest of Europe accusing us of somehow cheating by sending a global superstar. That might even lead to people voting against us even if the song was the best thing wither of them had ever recorded. However, there is a lot of space between sending an unknown and sending a global superstar. We need to get rather closer to the latter end of that scale.

It is understandable that a lot of performers and writers fear that entering Eurovision could damage their career. However, it could equally well enhance Eurovision's credibility with the British public. There are plenty of veteran performers whose credibility has been enhanced massively as a result of a younger performer announcing that they were a fan.

+Quote this post
Harve
post 19th May 2019, 04:07 PM
Post #344
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

QUOTE(Andrew. @ May 19 2019, 03:29 PM) *
All of this.

The constant 'let's stop ploughing money' and 'we could send Adele etc' I've seen online today drama.gif

Can someone give a run-down on why we can't send Adele? Or at least someone vaguely recognisable like Marina idk.

(looks like Suedehead already did but I took an hour to make my post MB)

This post has been edited by Harve: 19th May 2019, 04:07 PM

+Quote this post
danG
post 19th May 2019, 04:25 PM
Post #345
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

It wouldn't even surprise me* if Ed ending up (co)writing one of our future Eurovision entries one day (if he's willing to write for Westlife...) but there's no way will he perform it, and it'll be an album reject performed lifelessly with minimal effort into the staging which will once again flop.

*it would be a bit surprising given the recent BBC track record but you get the point

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 19th May 2019, 04:28 PM
Post #346
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Id love to know how many public votes were cast in the uk.

This post has been edited by Feel_The_Fever: 19th May 2019, 04:29 PM

+Quote this post
Jacky boy
post 19th May 2019, 04:30 PM
Post #347
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,107

QUOTE(Iz~ @ May 19 2019, 01:41 PM) *
I genuinely preferred the period earlier this decade when the British entry wasn't the end result of an amateur hour X-Factor (with all the awful tendencies that the British voting public tend to have) and was just an artist that the BBC kept under wraps until late in the process. Public choice has very little bearing in how we do continent-wide.

Agree. The selection process this year was low-production, with cringeworthy canned jokes from Mel and the whole thing was awkward. The 'voting' element from the judges was poor, with them acting like they had some sort of free choice when choosing. They've already been briefed who to send through to the final three. The songs on offer were also poor. That was really the best 3 of all the entries sent in?

The whole thing needs scrapping and completely restarting.

+Quote this post
zenon
post 19th May 2019, 04:41 PM
Post #348
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 8,809

Get someone like Example or Katy B to represent us. Not marquee performers but still quite a lot of success behind them and not in the bland category.

+Quote this post
danG
post 19th May 2019, 04:47 PM
Post #349
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

The problem there is people like Example and Katy B probably don't want to do Eurovision as it's seen as career damage. It's why we're stuck with talent show finalists.

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post 19th May 2019, 04:53 PM
Post #350
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155

QUOTE(danG @ May 19 2019, 05:47 PM) *
The problem there is people like Example and Katy B probably don't want to do Eurovision as it's seen as career damage. It's why we're stuck with talent show finalists.

It’s not like either of them have careers anymore kink.gif (jk ofc)

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 19th May 2019, 04:58 PM
Post #351
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

What's the sitch with HURTS? They're huge names across Europe right? Didn't BBC shut them down when they came forward and asked to represent us? Or have I just made that up? laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post 19th May 2019, 04:59 PM
Post #352
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421

All it would take is one relatively current act to bite the bullet and go for it, the UK just need to see one 'credible' act doing well in Eurovision and I'd imagine a tide of artists would start showing interest. Most of our current British artists doing well in the singles or albums charts would be pretty successful in Eurovision with any of their recent singles. As someone was saying earlier, something authentic and not deliberately written for Eurovision would do just fine!

+Quote this post
LexC
post 19th May 2019, 05:07 PM
Post #353
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

I don't believe that there wouldn't be at least SOMEONE. Okay, the likes of Adele and Ed Sheeran is being a bit too optimistic but someone on the teir or Ella Eyre, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Marina, The Shires ect would surely say yes.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 19th May 2019, 05:12 PM
Post #354
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Jessie J would be a good choice I think. She smashed a Chinese singing show and with the right song could absolutely be a success in Eurovision too!

+Quote this post
Juranamo
post 19th May 2019, 05:16 PM
Post #355
Group icon
"Everything seems different the second time around."
User: 5,830

Jessie J for Eurovision 2k20! Let’s start the campaign now. 😄

Just IMAGINE her putting out a ‘Domino’ or ‘Bang Bang’. *.*

This post has been edited by Juranamo: 19th May 2019, 05:18 PM

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post 19th May 2019, 05:17 PM
Post #356
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421

Jessie J is also the type who wouldn't show her nose up to Eurovision. Considering she's already done some Chinese talent show, this would be a step up from that! The essential thing would be that these artists are allowed to go away and create the song rather than the BBC creating something 'for Eurovision'. It's why we end up with such a safe MOR song all the time. They'd never select something like the Australian, Icelandic or Slovene entries this year but they all did much better than us!

Labrinth would also be a strong artist to send to - and capable of writing a good song himself!

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 19th May 2019, 06:00 PM
Post #357
Group icon
is in hibernation

QUOTE(Harve @ May 19 2019, 05:07 PM) *
Can someone give a run-down on why we can't send Adele? Or at least someone vaguely recognisable like Marina idk.

What I meant was that I’m seeing lots of comments along the lines of ‘we could send Adele and we still couldn’t win’ and think we’re hated because of the b word.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 19th May 2019, 06:00 PM
Post #358
Group icon
is in hibernation

QUOTE(Harve @ May 19 2019, 05:07 PM) *

What I meant was that I’m seeing lots of comments along the lines of ‘we could send Adele and we still couldn’t win’ and think we’re hated because of the b word.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 20th May 2019, 03:10 AM
Post #359
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

Ella Eyre doing a Walk On Water-esque song would be a NUT moment omg

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 20th May 2019, 03:35 AM
Post #360
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ May 19 2019, 03:34 PM) *
If we really did send Adele or Ed Sheeran, I suspect there would be many people in the rest of Europe accusing us of somehow cheating by sending a global superstar. That might even lead to people voting against us even if the song was the best thing wither of them had ever recorded. However, there is a lot of space between sending an unknown and sending a global superstar. We need to get rather closer to the latter end of that scale.

It is understandable that a lot of performers and writers fear that entering Eurovision could damage their career. However, it could equally well enhance Eurovision's credibility with the British public. There are plenty of veteran performers whose credibility has been enhanced massively as a result of a younger performer announcing that they were a fan.

I disagree. You can't vote against a song in Eurovision, and no one from the former Soviet bloc has ever balked at Russia sending a huge Russian popstar, nor did the former Yugoslavia do anything other than give instant 12 points to Zeljko, a legendary artist in that region, when he entered in 2012. Obviously most other countries don't have truly global superstars to choose from but I don't think that that would hinder us. The one thing it would do for the audience would be to raise their expectations on our side, and for us, that means anything less than a win would be a disappointment and the risk is greater. Adele would get us a good result with even one of her less good efforts. Pretty much guaranteed. And I can say that because it'll never happen, but you only have to look at something like this year's Russia or Macedonia to see what that sort of song written by a singer who really cares will do.

But yes, there are tens of British singers out there whose careers are winding down, who have the experience to come up with something a little more musically complex than a single key change and get us a result we can be happy with. If there's a competition, it needs to be between those, not between Mark from Sheffield and Gemma from Coventry singing a bargain basement Swedish castoff song. And then the problem is that Example and Ella Eyre and whoever else aren't going to put up with a competition if there's a chance they'll lose. Who wants to be the popstar who failed to get picked for Eurovision? Ugh.

+Quote this post

19 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 29th April 2024, 07:05 AM