BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

26 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Spice Girls - Chart Runs & Sales Thread: Worldwide, Group & Solo
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
tommie
post Oct 24 2020, 01:17 AM
Post #161
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Oct 23 2020, 11:00 PM) *
Record labels mean shipped when they talk about 'sold' as when they ship an album they have sold those to retailers. I wouldn't be shocked if Scream shipped 1m but lots ended up unsold in pound shops.

Scream opened with 30k+ which would have been all physical it wouldn't be surprising if UK shipments were 200k as I'm sure after opening with decent numbers retailers were confident it would sell well.

It's also worth remembering that It's Raining Men was a huge hit and probably the biggest solo hit any of them had at that point, so retailers probably had a lot of confidence that Scream was going to sell better than it did. Of course, it being a cover ended up having the same effect that Emma suffered a few years later with Downtown - people ended up not really being that interested in the album since it was just a track that was tacked on to try and sell an album that the label didn't seem to have much faith in.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Oct 24 2020, 06:36 AM
Post #162
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
QUOTE(tommie @ Oct 24 2020, 02:17 AM) *
It's also worth remembering that It's Raining Men was a huge hit and probably the biggest solo hit any of them had at that point, so retailers probably had a lot of confidence that Scream was going to sell better than it did. Of course, it being a cover ended up having the same effect that Emma suffered a few years later with Downtown - people ended up not really being that interested in the album since it was just a track that was tacked on to try and sell an album that the label didn't seem to have much faith in.

Yep iirc It's raining men was a big hit in France then you look at France peak for the album and it having a 100k cert. It was evidently incredibly over shipped compared to what it actually sold in France.

Scream could have easily shipped 300k between the UK and France alone.

+Quote this post
tommie
post Oct 24 2020, 08:56 AM
Post #163
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Oct 24 2020, 06:36 AM) *
Yep iirc It's raining men was a big hit in France then you look at France peak for the album and it having a 100k cert. It was evidently incredibly over shipped compared to what it actually sold in France.

Scream could have easily shipped 300k between the UK and France alone.

I think a lot of people forget how big It's Raining Men actually was at the time - it was everywhere due to the tie-in with Bridget Jones Diary. I think it must've been a surprise when Scream didn't sell off the back of it; of course today Geri's version of It's Raining Men is forgotten and people have (rightfully, I might add) gone back to The Weather Girls, but it was massive and probably the last "big" solo Spice single; Emma had blips after that and Mel C some local successes.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Oct 24 2020, 09:07 AM
Post #164
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587
QUOTE(tommie @ Oct 24 2020, 09:56 AM) *
I think a lot of people forget how big It's Raining Men actually was at the time - it was everywhere due to the tie-in with Bridget Jones Diary. I think it must've been a surprise when Scream didn't sell off the back of it; of course today Geri's version of It's Raining Men is forgotten and people have (rightfully, I might add) gone back to The Weather Girls, but it was massive and probably the last "big" solo Spice single; Emma had blips after that and Mel C some local successes.

This is all true tbh so maybe it shipped loads but no-one was interested?! pirate.gif

As much as I love the original 4 piece, their moves in 1999-2000 really damaged their chances. It's also no suprise that after Forever thanked, so did their solo outputs, as the general public and press were very much against them.

It also didnt help that Schizo and everything that came out of Solo Spice-dom post 2000 was subpar (apart from Free Me and Life in Mono imo) teresa.gif

+Quote this post
tommie
post Oct 24 2020, 09:13 AM
Post #165
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Oct 24 2020, 09:07 AM) *
This is all true tbh so maybe it shipped loads but no-one was interested?! pirate.gif

As sad as that sounds, it's fairly possible; I can see both the label and retailers overestimating demand and somewhere in China there's a road built on discarded Scream If You Wanna Go Faster cds. It's a bit like Victoria's Secret buying 600k of the Greatest Hits - for the label it means they sold that amount in the US and was a very smart business deal. Of course it doesn't mean it sold anywhere near that in households in the US (at least initially).

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Oct 24 2020, 09:24 AM
Post #166
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(tommie @ Oct 24 2020, 10:13 AM) *
As sad as that sounds, it's fairly possible; I can see both the label and retailers overestimating demand and somewhere in China there's a road built on discarded Scream If You Wanna Go Faster cds. It's a bit like Victoria's Secret buying 600k of the Greatest Hits - for the label it means they sold that amount in the US and was a very smart business deal. Of course it doesn't mean it sold anywhere near that in households in the US (at least initially).

Can I ask if this means they still got the money? When it comes to the sales, record labels get the money from shipments right? Not necessarily on how many copies it actually sold in stores?!

+Quote this post
tommie
post Oct 24 2020, 09:46 AM
Post #167
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Oct 24 2020, 09:24 AM) *
Can I ask if this means they still got the money? When it comes to the sales, record labels get the money from shipments right? Not necessarily on how many copies it actually sold in stores?!

Yes. I don't remember exactly, but I think the record label sells "regular" priced cds to retailers for around £4.99 (which then retails for somewhere between £7.99-10.99) and budget cds for £2.99 (which won't count towards the main chart; retails maybe £4.99). This is just from memory and is probably outdated so don't hold me to this.

This post has been edited by tommie: Oct 24 2020, 09:47 AM

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post Oct 25 2020, 08:45 AM
Post #168
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588
QUOTE(tommie @ Oct 24 2020, 09:56 AM) *

It's a shame the era basically ended after It's Raining Men. I am not that surprised the song didn't do much for the album as it seemed more like a stand-alone single to support to movie, but you would have expected the Scream... single to do better (and get better radio support, as well) after four #1 singles.

I wouldn't say it's completely forgotten now though, while it may not be a classic, it's the most streamed solo Spice song (besides When You're Gone but that is labelled as Bryan's) on Spotify with over 26 million streams.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Oct 25 2020, 10:50 AM
Post #169
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(tommie @ Oct 24 2020, 10:46 AM) *
Yes. I don't remember exactly, but I think the record label sells "regular" priced cds to retailers for around £4.99 (which then retails for somewhere between £7.99-10.99) and budget cds for £2.99 (which won't count towards the main chart; retails maybe £4.99). This is just from memory and is probably outdated so don't hold me to this.

Interesting, thank you. So when it comes to royalties, it is based on those shipments rather than actual sales, I would guess?!

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post Oct 25 2020, 10:51 AM
Post #170
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574
Geris cover of It's Raining Men is far from forgotten.

Definitely a cover thats lasted the distance.

This post has been edited by schizo_spice: Oct 25 2020, 10:53 AM

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Oct 25 2020, 11:07 AM
Post #171
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(schizo_spice @ Oct 25 2020, 11:51 AM) *
Geris cover of It's Raining Men is far from forgotten.

Definitely a cover thats lasted the distance.

Yeah as much as I think it's an aweful cover, you cant deny that it is still today her biggest hit and probably one of the most enduring solo Spice releases (and probably the only reason she has half a million listeners on Spotify lol)

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post Oct 25 2020, 12:29 PM
Post #172
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Oct 25 2020, 12:07 PM) *
Yeah as much as I think it's an aweful cover, you cant deny that it is still today her biggest hit and probably one of the most enduring solo Spice releases (and probably the only reason she has half a million listeners on Spotify lol)

That would be for the awesomeness that is Schizophonic with its high relistenability. wub.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Oct 25 2020, 01:24 PM
Post #173
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
Yeah Geri's version of IRM is far from forgotten, it's one of THE most remembered solo Spice songs.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Oct 25 2020, 01:53 PM
Post #174
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(schizo_spice @ Oct 25 2020, 01:29 PM) *
That would be for the awesomeness that is Schizophonic with its high relistenability. wub.gif

pirate.gif that album is so dissapointing lol

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post Nov 1 2020, 06:25 PM
Post #175
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 64,815
In 2007 when the group announced the ROTSG Tour one of the original tour dates was in China. They planned to do a few shows there, unlike Japan, where they sold a lot of records.

I was wondering if anyone knew how well the SG did in China in terms of chart positions and sales?

Thanks smile.gif

+Quote this post
JaneJ
post Nov 2 2020, 06:46 PM
Post #176
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 88,953
QUOTE(Spice Girls Net @ Nov 2 2020, 01:25 AM) *
In 2007 when the group announced the ROTSG Tour one of the original tour dates was in China. They planned to do a few shows there, unlike Japan, where they sold a lot of records.

I was wondering if anyone knew how well the SG did in China in terms of chart positions and sales?

Thanks smile.gif

In the 90s Mainland China was not the significant market in the music industry. There were no charts or certification systems, the values were too small. They have been growing rapidly since 2000s though and might crack the top five biggest markets in a few years. Among the 90s western girl groups, the SG have the most followers on QQ music but no where near boy bands like Westlife or Backstreet Boys. The sales data and insight info about the popularity of the girls in China, might belong to the label, I assume. There were a lot of Chinese fans asking them to play there in 2007-2008, no?

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Nov 2 2020, 08:23 PM
Post #177
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(JaneJ @ Nov 2 2020, 07:46 PM) *
In the 90s Mainland China was not the significant market in the music industry. There were no charts or certification systems, the values were too small. They have been growing rapidly since 2000s though and might crack the top five biggest markets in a few years. Among the 90s western girl groups, the SG have the most followers on QQ music but no where near boy bands like Westlife or Backstreet Boys. The sales data and insight info about the popularity of the girls in China, might belong to the label, I assume. There were a lot of Chinese fans asking them to play there in 2007-2008, no?

They added dates in China originally to a total of 3, only to cancel them, which was so sad. They really screwed up that tour, which could have done much better and go for much longer. The power was there if they had been on it.

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post Nov 3 2020, 12:59 PM
Post #178
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 64,815
QUOTE(JaneJ @ Nov 2 2020, 06:46 PM) *

Thanks for the info.

China was already one of the original dates along with Argentina, South Africa, Australia etc so the group were always going to play in China which I found interesting

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Nov 3 2020, 02:48 PM
Post #179
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Spice Girls Net @ Nov 3 2020, 01:59 PM) *
Thanks for the info.

China was already one of the original dates along with Argentina, South Africa, Australia etc so the group were always going to play in China which I found interesting

Maybe they had originally intended to do it and expand to other regions of South East Asia, which would have been announced had they actually gone for it, but were cancelled... I think Japan and a few other countries around there should be included in future tours, to be honest. WILD that they were so successful in those countries but never made it there on tour...

+Quote this post
Babyboy
post Nov 4 2020, 08:09 PM
Post #180
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,611
I edited the first page just with the peaks. It is easy and "clean" to read.
Also it is easy to find chart runs around the web.
I will add soon Mel recent projects.

+Quote this post

26 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:03 AM