BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Death to 2020, made by the creators of Black Mirror ~
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Klumzee
post Dec 30 2020, 09:56 PM
Post #1
#TeamAnneMarie
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,421

A satirical take on 2020 with a mockumentary by Charlie Brooker and Annabel Jones interviewing some 'characters' of 2020 and looking back at news coverage from the year from hell! Quite a star-studded cast for something that's seems to have a quite low-key release, featuring Samuel L Jackson, Hugh Grant, Leslie Jones and Lisa Kudrow amongst other recognisable faces.

I thought it was quite a clever satire of the year and ongoing attitudes we face in society and certainly made me laugh with some of the audacity of statements and reactions the characters had laugh.gif In particular my favourites were Kathy, the conspiracy theorist/Karen and Gemma, the most average Briton found in existence. Seemed to be getting quite a negative reaction in my circles due to the script but I loved it! Feels very UK panel show take on 2020 which might be a bit marmite for some.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Dec 30 2020, 10:25 PM
Post #2
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I was interested in this, but the reviews are awful oops. I do normally love Charlie Brooker's material, so that's a shame, I may still check it out.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Dec 30 2020, 10:26 PM
Post #3
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Feliz Wombat @ Dec 30 2020, 10:25 PM) *
I was interested in this, but the reviews are awful oops. I do normally love Charlie Brooker's material, so that's a shame, I may still check it out.

Hard to describe but I was left disappointed by it. I spent most of it just wishing he'd done a 2020 Wipe instead. This just feels like he phoned it in to keep the bosses at Netflix happy.

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Dec 31 2020, 01:35 AM
Post #4
The Lady Said Go Home!
Member No.: 20,835

I actually rather enjoyed it? To the point the reviews and disapointing comments are baffling.

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post Dec 31 2020, 07:33 AM
Post #5
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

Yeah I watched this the other day and haven't read any reviews and I really liked it! Surprised it hasn't gone down so well. I'd say my favourite characters were the same two that Klumzee mentioned and I'd also add Lisa Kudrow to form my top 3.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Dec 31 2020, 02:11 PM
Post #6
❤️❤️➕🟦
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I think some of the reviews are a bit bizarre in how extreme they are (The Independent seem to randomly be revelling in it as well??), although granted the Biden jokes were incredibly lazy. It wasn’t as funny as Wipe but still great to have something from Charlie and some of the characters were so good. Aside from Diane Morgan being excellent as per, I loved Lisa Kudrow’s character and the Karen character, particularly the cosying up with a cuppa to read the far-right forums and the viral clips of her. Both characters have been done before but they felt pitch-perfect and the most accurate representations.

It did feel Netflix had greater control over it and so I missed the proper British perspective but I’ll take anything x

+Quote Post
Slick
post Dec 31 2020, 02:16 PM
Post #7
electric butterflies
Group: Members
Member No.: 70
   No Gallery Pics

I don't usually watch Wipe or any of Charlie Brooker's other stuff but I was interested in this. It was good (I thought that some of it was really well-written!) but I can definitely see why it has had mixed/negative reviews. It left me feeling like I hadn't really watched anything.

There are a few really good scenes so I would perhaps show somebody a YouTube compilation of the best bits rather than sit through the whole thing.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Dec 31 2020, 06:58 PM
Post #8
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

So I watched it and yeah, it wasn't horrible and there were a fair few genuine laughs, but it was well below par, particularly when compared to Charlie Brooker's other annual wipes he did (and the one he did this year!). Idk the humour just felt a bit too obvious (and yeah, we get it, Biden is old) and it didn't have that usual original wit, I do agree it did miss the traditional British sense of humour (I'd have loved to have seen his take on Dominic Cummings) and felt catered to Netflix. I suppose 2020 is just so hard to satirise, we're living in one!

It wasn't without it's merits though, it was well acted, the Karen, Millenial and Lisa Kudrow's Alternate facts woman were particularly brilliant.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Dec 31 2020, 07:43 PM
Post #9
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Lisa Kudrow was brilliant - a rare highlight in what (as you accurately describe Chez) was a bit of a miss overall.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:09 AM