BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How did you get into the Spice Girls?, What was the moment that SPICED up your life
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jade-o-Lantern🎃
post Oct 10 2017, 11:16 PM
Post #1
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

The Spice Girls had so many iconic moments. Storming to #1 with their debut single, the above Brits performance, Spiceworld the Movie... but what was THE moment that got you into the Spice Girls, if you can remember? ohmy.gif

Sadly I was born on 4th August 1997 so was obviously not even born/far too young to remember their heyday laugh.gif my Spice obsession began at the age of 10 in mid-2008. I had a vague knowledge of them before then but didn't really know much about their music except their "if you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends" song. I discovered more about them in year 6, my final year of primary school, when we were rehearsing for our leavers assembly, and we watched a DVD of the leavers assembly from a previous group of year 6s from my school - it was 90s themed! One of the songs that was incorporated into a dance for their assembly was 'Spice Up Your Life' and I thought it sounded fab *.* so I then looked up the music video when I got home and then started to binge all of their vids and the rest is history. 'Spice Up Your Life' remains a fave of theirs for me to this day. I soon became a fangirl who started listening to them constantly/watching Spiceworld the Movie all the time and buying merchandise from eBay. I was GUTTED that I got into them mere months after their Return of the Spice Girls tour had finished cry.gif what makes things worse is that my parents actually went to it but I had no interest in them at the time </3 in my tween/teen years I got VERY obsessive about things and continued to grow my Spice collection for a few more years! I remember emailing Liz West (owner of the biggest Spice Girls collection ever ofc) years ago and I think she might have been a little taken aback by my age at the time haha - the Spice Girls still had 12 year old fans in 2009? kink.gif Rewind to now and I'm not really the mega stan I was back then but I still adore their music and enjoy hearing about what the girls are doing.

So, what about you guys?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jay ☆
post Oct 11 2017, 12:28 AM
Post #2
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Aww! wub.gif I think it's great that their appeal could stretch to those who weren't even born when they first came on the scene! What a pity you got into them slightly too late to experience The Return of the Spice Girls! cry.gif I remember seeing a pic of your collection. *.*

Well for me, it was from the very start! I was 8 years old in the summer of 1996, and pop music hadn't particularly interested me up to that point - I liked some random songs, but I wasn't knowledgeable about who these songs were by - I wasn't a fan of anybody. Then the Spice Girls came along and changed everything. *_*

The first time I became aware of them would have been seeing them on a kids show, because I always watched shows such as Live and Kicking. I was enthralled by them - they just seemed so exciting, their vibe was infectious! It was pretty crazy, because when 'Wannabe' became a hit it was as if my entire primary school was taken in by them overnight. I remember reading some information about them on teletext ( laugh.gif ) and making sure I remembered certain facts to be able to impress my friends with. They really were a huge talking point, and which girl was your favourite was an important discussion. x Mine was Emma. *.*

For a few months, my access to the Spice Girls was restricted to TV shows I caught them on, and kids magazines. For some reason I wasn't yet aware of the concept of buying singles/albums. I remember a friend brought a tape of 'Spice' into school to show off, and it was like a revelation to me that they had more songs to be heard! Don't even ask how I remember this so specifically, but I eventually bought the Spice cassette on 2nd January 1997 in Cardiff Woolworths. kink.gif (Clearly a momentous occasion in my life x). I played that tape soooo much. <3

1997 was an amazing time to be a fan of theirs, because it seemed like they were literally everywhere - TV, magazines, merchandise... on packets of crisps, cans of Pepsi and chocolate wrappers. :') (Spice Girls made me fat x). When they released Spice Up Your Life, I somehow became even more obsessed with them... I absolutely adored that song, and it's still one of my favourite songs. wub.gif Then I received the Spiceworld album on CD for Christmas - my first ever CD.

My classmates' obsession with them began to wane in 1998... suddenly acts like All Saints, B*Witched and Aqua were cooler (can you believe it x), but I continued to regard Spice Girls as my favourites. Sadly by 2000 (when I was in secondary school, Year 8) it was pretty much social suicide to admit you still liked them, so I had to keep my excitement for their 'Forever' era to myself. cry.gif

I didn't get to see them on tour until their 2007 reunion - I saw them once at London O2, on 15th December 2007. biggrin.gif I was 19 at the time. A dream come true, particularly because I'd feared for a few years that they were never getting back together.

I doubt I would have anticipated back in my childhood days that I'd still be a fan of theirs and interested in their solo ventures, for 20+ years and counting. They'll always have a special place in my heart! I think there's certainly an element of nostalgia and sentimentality there, but ultimately their music/performances etc makes me feel happy. heart.gif

(Sorry, I went on a bit there heehee.gif )

+Quote Post
Sonia Fowler
post Oct 11 2017, 12:34 AM
Post #3
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,835

I first enjoyed their music when I got older because I was born around the time when Wannabe came out and dominated so ovbs I was quite young when they first came out etc. I think Wannabe was the first thing I heard of them most likely because It was on a music channel as it's still regularly featured a lot there. I wouldn't say I am a stan of theirs but they have such a strong singles discography (I need to hear their albums at some point)

+Quote Post
Jay ☆
post Oct 11 2017, 12:37 AM
Post #4
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

^ We'll have to have an album listening session! cool2.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 03:05 AM