BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Cabaret at the Kit Kat Club, (aka the Playhouse Theatre)
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Suedehead2
post 27th October 2022, 09:07 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

I went to see the latest stage production of Cabaret this week at the Playhouse Theatre in Northumberland Avenue, London (rebranded as the Kit Kat Club). I have always loved the film (with Liza Minnelli and Joel Grey) but hadn't managed to see a stage production. I know several people who know the stage production and are not fans of the film. Now I can see why - although I still think the film is well worth seeing.

Callum Scott Howells (Colin in the excellent It's A Sin) has just taken over the role of the Emcee, a part filled at the start of this production last year by none other than Eddie Redmayne). He was absolutely outstanding and seemed to having the time of his life. I can now see why some people don't rate the film - a major plot thread was totally absent.

When I first saw the film I knew little about Nazi Germany - I didn't learn anything about it at school. Therefore, I didn't fully understand what parts of it were about. It was only later that I filled in the gaps. In particular, the singing of Tomorrow Belongs To Me took on a whole new meaning once I knew the history behind it. Mow I can see it as one of the most chilling pieces of cinema history.

With a much greater understanding of history (built up over the last few decades), the stage production made a lot more sense. There was also a much stronger gay thread than there was in the film, inevitably for a film made in the early 1970s. I think Callum Scott Howells has already got another stage part lined up so he may not be in Cabaret for long. Even if he isn't in it, it makes for a great night out.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 28th October 2022, 08:27 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

sounds interesting Simon, I bet Martin would like to see it! Thanks for the great review and heads-up! I never saw the film at the time, what with being an X-rated, but the clips were all over TV of the iconic Money, Cabaret scenes and others, so it's pure 1972 for me even so...
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 09:49 PM