BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Josh's Ultimate 2022 Movie Ranking!, Ranking all 141 of the '22 films that I saw
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post 6th January 2023, 11:34 AM
Post #21
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

99. The Forgiven
directed by: John Michael McDonagh
starring: Ralph Fiennes, Jessica Chastain, Matt Smith, Ismael Kanater, Caleb Landry Jones, Abbey Lee, Mourad Zaoui, Marie-Josée Croze, Alex Jennings, Saïd Taghmaoui, Christopher Abbott

Didn’t even watch a trailer for this so it was a total surprise. It had some interesting comments on class and culture differences, and I appreciated that final scene came full circle. It was a powerful moment.

I’m turning into a bit of a Matt Smith stan. He’s doing great in everything he’s in at the minute. Bit of a femme king here, haha. My crush only intensifies…

In the end, I liked that we saw Fiennes be redeemed and Chastain the same old horrible person, but throughout I found the Chastain scenes an unwelcome distraction. They weren’t particularly exciting scenes in comparison although they were, ultimately, necessary. I do love Chastain though, it’s just that Fiennes’ storyline was far more unnerving, eye-opening etc.

98. Official Competition
directed by: Gastón Duprat & Mariano Cohn
starring: Penélope Cruz, Antonio Banderas, Oscar Martínez, José Luis Gómez, Irene Escolar, Manolo Solo, Nagore Aranburu, Pilar Castro, Koldo Olabarri

Penélope Cruz as a lesbian power-top earned this immediate extra stars.

I loved the interactions between the main three, especially when they were rehearsing. That’s where all my major laughs came from (mainly Cruz force them to do unhinged stuff for the love of the arts). I knew I was in for a fun time when she was getting her actors to repeat ‘good night’ over and over. She had a point though!

I do think the film was a little overly pretentious at times when it wasn’t that clever really. I predicted ahead of time that Iván would drop out and they’d steal his idea and get Felix to play both brothers. Yet the film acts like it’s an everlasting masterpiece. I’m not so sure…

Some moments that will stick with me though and I’m glad I watched it. That make-out scene was absolutely wild! I loved watching things going into the grinder too (it’s like something I’d watch on TikTok for hours, lol).

97. Men
directed by: Alex Garland
starring: Jessie Buckley, Rory Kinnear

Erm... I feel like I had more questions coming out of this than I did going in? There was a time where I was going to give this a stronger score but I think the final act ruined things massively. There were parts that built the tension well but I left my screening feeling like I didn't really get it (aside from 'men are trash', of course).

The body horror in this was just insane. I thought it couldn't possibly get worse than the severed hand but that whole birthing sequence one after the other can't be topped. I'll certainly not get those images out of my head for a while. I was praying for the film to be over by that point as I'd felt sick to my stomach for the best part of an hour straight, lol. The length of that sequence felt unnecessary too in all honesty.

There was a long segment in the middle of the film that was just so horrifying and full of dread. Each Rory Kinnear character was more unnerving than the last and you couldn't help but feel a pit in your stomach for Jessie Buckley's character. I genuinely felt ill watching it and at times even thought I could've burst into tears.

Was it successful in making me wince? Yes. Did I enjoy a single second of actually viewing this? No. Would I watch it again? No chance.

96. Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore
directed by: David Yates
starring: Eddie Redmayne, Jude Law, Ezra Miller, Dan Fogler, Alison Sudol, Callum Turner, Jessica Williams, Katherine Waterston, Mads Mikkelsen

Ah man, this spin-off series has really lost all the charm that the original Harry Potter movies had in abundance. All the colours are so washed out and the scenery is stripped of any light. Ironically, this feels so devoid of magic despite being a film about magic, lmao.

That big moment we've all been waiting for between Dumbledore and Grindelwald felt SO low stakes that I almost didn't think the film was going to end after the final act. Why did it take place in some weird white-washed alternate universe?! Dumbledore versus Voldemort was much more of a spectacle in Order of the Phoenix. If I've seen that then why would I be impressed by this? Dumbledore didn't even lose his hat for goodness sake!!!

This version of Grindelwald only felt mildly cruel too which was a choice. Depp's portrayal was a lot more unhinged and you believed that he was ready to fly off the bat at any moment. This Grindelwald declares war on all Muggle-kind and has the perfect opportunity to Avada Kedavra the f*** out of one (on the largest stage in the Wizarding World, no less) but instead just uses a pain curse for five seconds and then leaves him be? OK then. Don't be afraid to kill off your lead characters occasionally please... it can be very impactful when used correctly (and this would have been one of those moments).

There are some bits to mention on the good side so I'll comment on those too. The film is openly very gay and it's nice to see something like that in a major movie blockbuster. Dumbledore and Grindelwald didn't attempt to hide their history and I hope we get some more sexual tension in future instalments (although I guess this is likely an early end for the franchise).

Story wise, it was pretty by the numbers but I did enjoy the deception trick with the multiple suitcases. It kept me guessing as a viewer and I was glad to see it all paid off in the end. I half suspected it may have all been a double bluff and Kowalski had the important one all along and that's why Dumbledore wanted to go with him. That was about the only plot point I enjoyed though, lol.

I also liked that they kept the Fantastic Beasts central to the storyline too with the Qilin being such an important part. They were super cute too. I could've done without the magical lobster sequence though as that fell a bit too far on the childish side.

I'll finish on a positive, as we've come to expect from this franchise, the characters are great so that's where the majority of these stars are earned. Lally was a great addition and was a total badass during the fancy dinner scene. She looked stunning there too (and throughout the film) - she'd definitely be my favourite teacher in school. Queenie remains the best character this spin-off series has given us so yay for her redemption as well. I'm glad to see her wearing some vibrant clothes again and being a bit more perky in general.

Overall, I'm left feeling bitterly disappointed. What was once my childhood favourite world is now lacking in all whimsical magic-ness. I'm sticking it out for the characters but give me more please David Yates.

95. All Quiet on the Western Front
directed by: Edward Berger
starring: Felix Kammerer, Albrecht Schuch, Daniel Brühl

This is objectively good but it just falls in line with literally none of my interests. I don't like war movies and this is as war-ry as war movies get. It also felt veeeery long to me but I blame myself for being disinterested in the topic itself. I feel bad rating this low but I just didn't enjoy it at all so I guess it's my fault if this falls below a 4.0 on Letterboxd.

There were some very harrowing moments that will stick with me though so in that sense I'm glad I sat through it. The moment where the tanks are squashing people underneath them was terrifying. There's also that very touching moment of humanity where Paul feels remorse after stabbing the enemy soldier. These few (and far between) moments made it worthwhile watching for me but the filler in between simply didn't engage me.

The worst bit to watch was those final moments before the peace treaty comes into effect where Paul loses his life after going through so much and surviving it until then. It was a brutal ending and it will be something I remember for years. It's so unfair that they were sent to battle still knowing that world peace was minutes away.

So yeah, I'm glad historians are gushing over it (and deservedly so, I guess) but these types of movies are just categorically not my thing.

94. The Invitation
directed by: Jessica M. Thompson
starring: Nathalie Emmanuel, Thomas Doherty, Stephanie Corneliussen, Alana Boden, Hugh Skinner, Sean Pertwee

I had not seen a trailer for this so I had no idea what to expect but this was kind of camp?! Full on gothic vampire schtick and I was kind of eating it up. The first half is so tonally different to the second part though that I'm not sure it gels that well as a final piece.

I enjoyed seeing Nathalie Emmanuel as our final girl, and appreciated she had some funny moments. She's been showing her comedic chops off a little bit in the Fast & Furious franchise too and she pulls it off well. She looked absolutely stunning in a lot of the outfits too so props to the costume design department.

That wicked-tongued older wife was an absolute icon too. She reminded me of Caroline Stanbury if she was a black-haired vampire in an alternate reality, lmao.

On the other side, I don't think Evie's FaceTime friend worked that well and felt tonally off from the rest. It reminds me of the awkward distraction from the main plot that Lil Rel Howery brings to Get Out.

Also, they were going all in on generic vampire stuff in the second half that it didn't even make sense in the movie. Generic bad guy saying generic bad things like 'I can't wait to feed you to the wolves' when wolves had never been mentioned before this.

Did I enjoy this? Yes. Was it any good? Not really, no. But certainly a fun surprise and I'm glad I watched it.

(I have myself a newfound crush in Thomas Doherty too. I'll have myself a piece of that posh totty please).

93. Causeway
directed by: Lila Neugebauer
starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Bryan Tyree Henry

This was strong in the sense that it was a very human story and its small scale helped it achieve that. As a piece of entertainment though, it was rather slow and a lot of the conversations weren't engaging. It's not the sort of script that has you hanging on every word... more so the sort of script that has you drifting in and out of interest.

Both lead performances are great though so I'm glad to see them getting some well-deserved praise. I wouldn't say it's Jennifer Lawrence's best ever performance or anywhere close but it's certainly raw and she does a good job making it feel real. I'm just glad to have her back in serious dramas after being away for seemingly forever.

I was impressed with Brian Tyree Henry too and I thought he shone in their scene in the pool where he gets out after the pity comments from Lawrence's character. Proving to be quite the versatile actor between this and Bullet Train in 2022.

My verdict is that yes, this is true to life and but it's far from interesting. I'll not be rushing to watch this ever again but I'd be happy to see some Oscar clips doing the rounds.

92. Spirited
directed by: Sean Anders
starring: Will Ferrell, Ryan Reynolds, Octavia Spencer, Sunita Mani, Patrick Page, Marlow Barkley, Tracy Morgan

Fun little twist on A Christmas Carol and at the end of the day, it's such a good story as a concept that any adaptation of it always has a strong base point. This brings it into the modern era and we have some fun references to TikTok and social media (etc.) that you'd expect with a 2022 retelling.

The Ryan Reynolds quippy shtick still makes me chuckle from time to time so I enjoyed watching him as lead. Will Ferrell doesn't make me laugh so much any more but he was bearable. I liked both Ghost of Christmas Past and Future too (the former was a total queen for sh*gging Ryan Reynolds at work, lmaooo).

Octavia Spencer turns up and plays herself yet again (hey, it's earned her three Oscar nominations so why not?) but she's so incredibly charming that she manages to be my favourite thing about the movie. She slays "The View from Here" (and its many reprises) and it manages to be one of the most uplifting moments in the whole film.

That song and "Good Afternoon" were my favourite musical numbers. The latter complete with JUDI DENCH cameo!!!! I was gobsmacked. There are about four too many merely satisfactory show tunes though which make the film totally drag. Pasek and Paul have their moments here but they're not on their A game like they are in The Greatest Showman and La La Land.

Ultimately, not a bad bit of festive cheer and AppleTV+ always manages to impress me with its quality production value. Bit of a slog when the musical numbers drag on and on though (and that's coming from a big fan of musical theatre).

91. Windfall
directed by: Charlie McDowell
starring: Lily Collins, Jesse Plemons, Jason Segel

I thought the script and cinematography were pretty strong for a streaming movie so props to it for that. I liked that it was a kidnap movie but with a lot of humour injected into it. Segel was a useless robber yet I know I’d have been compliant and gone along with it too if I were in their shoes, lmao.

Wow at those shots in the orange tree garden as well. It makes me want to go to one and I hate the taste of oranges, haha. That gardener deserves a pay rise for making a literal outdoor paradise but I bet he was paid a pittance by that asshole billionaire.

Speaking of the gardener… I’m still in shock at that poor man making a run for it and then ending up with a window pane shard lodged in his throat. My mouth was agape watching that scene!

Overall, a pretty solid watch. The short runtime probably helps it out in that regard but the script deserves a mention for balancing comedy and genuine thrill very well (especially as the final act heats up). A bit forgettable though.

90. The Phantom of the Open
directed by: Craig Roberts
starring: Mark Rylance, Sally Hawkins, Rhys Ifans, Jake Davies, Christian Lees, Jonah Lees, Mark Lewis Jones, Johann Myers

This is simply your run-of-the-mill British true story dramedy that we see time after time. You know exactly what you’re going to get but they’re always charming and put a smile on your face… and this is no exception.

Flitcroft was a really fun bloke and his story lends itself well to this kind of biopic. I enjoyed seeing the real life footage at the very end in comparison to Rylance’s accurate performance. The humour hit more often than not, especially when he was in disguise and speaking foreign languages shoddily, haha.

I would also give absolutely anything for Sally Hawkins so I enjoyed seeing her back in that supportive wife role where she often excels and makes your heart all warm inside.

I was surprisingly endeared by the dancing disco twins and their endless supply of quirky moves to fit any occasion. They were simultaneously the dorkiest and yet the coolest duo I’ve ever seen. I’d watch a spin-off about their lives to be honest, lmao.

This doesn’t reinvent the wheel but if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it.

Re-cap:
90. The Phantom of the Open
91. Windfall
92. Spirited
93. Causeway
94. The Invitation
95. All Quiet on the Western Front
96. Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore
97. Men
98. Official Competition
99. The Forgiven

This post has been edited by Josh!: 6th January 2023, 11:35 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 6th January 2023, 02:12 PM
Post #22
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

I'm so glad I saw you think similarly to me about Smile. More thoughts from my review/during my countdown, but yeah... I think now 2022 is all said and done, it's the most disappointing movie of 2022 for me. As for Minions: Rise of Gru I preferred it a lot more to the first! I had much more fun than I had anticipated. Lmao.

MEN was odd af and I was so, SO gutted that I came out of it feeling like I'd just seen one of the worst movies I'd ever seen, rather than feeling like "well, at least I got what they were going for, even if it wasn't for me" (ala 'Malignant') but nope. Ugh. Fantastic Beasts time to bury this entire franchise now. Spirited was fun and cute. I'll be interested to see how it holds up after repeated seasonal viewings.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 7th January 2023, 01:06 AM
Post #23
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I don't know if you've seen It Follows or Drag Me to Hell, but they are very similar to Smile and do the concept a little bit better. For all its faults though, I had a great time with Smile. The scares were really well done, as you say, and I like any horror that digs into proper human grief as the scariest thing of all.

Men shows Alex Garland at his best and worst for me. It had a really good concept, the performances were excellent and the tension built throughout was really strong, but it just didn't conclude well, that ending just seemed a bit too WTF to be profound. Shame, a bit of a missed opportunity overall.

Lol at Fantastic Beasts, I saw the first one and it was fairly decent, but there was no way this should be a franchise and I'm very pleased it's dead (and I could do with less publicity for JK Rowling x)

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 7th January 2023, 02:56 PM
Post #24
Group icon
c:

QUOTE(Tafty³³³ @ Jan 6 2023, 02:12 PM) *
I'm so glad I saw you think similarly to me about Smile. More thoughts from my review/during my countdown, but yeah... I think now 2022 is all said and done, it's the most disappointing movie of 2022 for me. As for Minions: Rise of Gru I preferred it a lot more to the first! I had much more fun than I had anticipated. Lmao.

MEN was odd af and I was so, SO gutted that I came out of it feeling like I'd just seen one of the worst movies I'd ever seen, rather than feeling like "well, at least I got what they were going for, even if it wasn't for me" (ala 'Malignant') but nope. Ugh. Fantastic Beasts time to bury this entire franchise now. Spirited was fun and cute. I'll be interested to see how it holds up after repeated seasonal viewings.

Definitely up there with the most disappointing film for me too. And I felt mad because the GP seemed to be loving it?! I'll still be there opening weekend for the inevitable Smile 2 though, lmaoooo.

Thanks for all of your other thoughts!! It's a shame what's happened to Wizarding World so quickly but I'm not sure there's a comeback in there as long as JK is so prominent either. Such a shame as it was my everything during childhood.

Looking forward to yours beginning!!

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jan 7 2023, 01:06 AM) *
I don't know if you've seen It Follows or Drag Me to Hell, but they are very similar to Smile and do the concept a little bit better. For all its faults though, I had a great time with Smile. The scares were really well done, as you say, and I like any horror that digs into proper human grief as the scariest thing of all.

Men shows Alex Garland at his best and worst for me. It had a really good concept, the performances were excellent and the tension built throughout was really strong, but it just didn't conclude well, that ending just seemed a bit too WTF to be profound. Shame, a bit of a missed opportunity overall.

Lol at Fantastic Beasts, I saw the first one and it was fairly decent, but there was no way this should be a franchise and I'm very pleased it's dead (and I could do with less publicity for JK Rowling x)

I've seen It Follows and I thought it was much stronger. I guess it seemed more adult? The characters in this were just soooo silly to me. Not seen Drag me to Hell though so I'll put it on my watchlist.

It's mad to think this is the same Alex Garland that created Ex Machina which was such a controlled and focus sci-fi thriller. Men was just far too much and for no pay-off either. I don't mind gross but what's the message here? Like you say, too WTF to be profound - hit the nail on the head!

This post has been edited by Josh!: 7th January 2023, 02:56 PM

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 7th January 2023, 03:28 PM
Post #25
Group icon
c:

89. The Northman
directed by: Robert Eggers
starring: Alexander Skarsgård, Nicole Kidman, Claes Bang, Anya Taylor-Joy, Gustav Lindh, Ethan Hawke, Björk, Willem Dafoe

All I could think during this was how much I’d hate to be around in these days, lmao. Without doubt, I wouldn’t last a single day. Some of the kills in this movie are absolutely f*ckin’ brutal!

I did think that between the darkly lit scenery, heavy accents and ye olde language that this was very hard to follow. I got the gist of things thanks to visual storytelling and the mantra of “I will avenge you, Father. I will save you, Mother. I will kill you, Fjölnir” but that’s about it. I didn’t understand a single thing actually going on in each individual scene… I just about grasped the overarching story as a concept, lol.

Saying that, I was pretty hooked when the showdown occurred between mother and son as it was revealed she didn’t want saving at all. And then the final fight ending in death for both Fjölnir and Amleth was the perfect ending.

Overall this was technically masterful and did have a strong plot but it was just so inaccessible to a casual viewer like myself.

88. The Lost King
directed by: Stephen Frears
starring: Sally Hawkins, Steve Coogan, Harry Lloyd, Mark Addy, Lee Ingleby, James Fleet

This sort of quirky history plot is right up my street. It feels like the movie version of those little fun facts you read around castles and cathedrals when you’re bored of reading the actual main event historical stuff. Like… it is just a bit mad when you think about the fact they found an actual King of England underneath a car park in Leicester.

University of Leicester was actually my 2nd choice university and I’m glad I didn’t pick it after seeing this because it turns out they’re totally evil. The tourist side of me would quite like to visit Leicester now though to see the re-burial site with the coat of arms. I thought Edinburgh also looked glorious and had me longing to hop on the train there for the day as well. I’d go as far as to say it made me a little bit proud to be British, as these sorts of British dramas often do.

I don’t think the Richard III apparition moments worked for me as it just made her look more insane rather than painting her out to be an actual academic. I’m not sure I’d be that happy if I were her and I was represented as a bit of a mad woman. Now that I have Googled the real Philippa Langley, I’d also be fuming if I were her that they gave me that horrible haircut when I actually had lovely blonde hair in real life, lmao.

Sally Hawkins is such a national treasure and we should protect her at all costs.

87. The Tragedy of Macbeth
directed by: Joel Coen
starring: Denzel Washington, Frances McDormand, Bertie Carvel, Alex Hassell, Corey Hawkins, Harry Melling, Brendan Gleeson

My GCSE English Lit teacher would’ve loved this. I foresee this being a staple in secondary schools for decades to come, haha.

The original text is, of course, brilliant & has rightfully stood the test of time for centuries. I appreciated how charmingly small-scale the set pieces were here as it almost felt like watching a polished stage production (but zoomed in). Saying that, it does very little to modernise Macbeth and feels like a retread of adaptations that have been done before.

The American accents at times were dreadfully distracting. I wasn’t impressed with Denzel Washington at all to be honest. He did a fine job with line reading but he felt very unsuited to the role. He didn’t even attempt to disguise his own American accent! Frances McDormand was much stronger and really sold Lady Macbeth’s spiralling character arc. I was impressed with Alex Hassell too and felt he did a very underrated performance.

In conclusion, this gets three stars because Macbeth is just so good, and therefore redoing it word for word is still great to watch. The film itself though doesn’t feel like a particularly exciting adaptation, and it only really has the production design & cinematography going for it. I’d steer well clear of American-ising more Shakespeare in the future please, Mr. Coen.

86. Enola Holmes 2
directed by: Harry Bradbeer
starring: Millie Bobby Brown, Henry Cavill, Helena Bonham Carter

So yes, I'm totally sold on this franchise now. Those 4th wall breaking moments are soooooo cringe but somehow Millie Bobby Brown just makes it work in an endearing way. I'm kind of obsessed with the way she sells the character of Enola Holmes to the audience. Sis earned that 10 million dollar pay day.

I liked that this was loosely based around true events and was educated on a topic I didn't know anything about before (the 1888 matchgirls' strike). They made 'phossy jaw' seem scary in this and it looks even worse after seeing pictures online. I was thinking the whole how dreadful it'd be to be a Victorian factory worker. Just insane how relatively recent in history that is.

I don't know much about Sherlock (I've never seen the RDJ or Cumberbatch iterations) but I'm excited to have been introduced to this universe's Moriarty and Watson too. It feels a bit like Sonic the Hedgehog 2 from earlier this year where you feel like they've really found the footing with the sequel, classic characters are starting to be established and it's exciting to think where things will go with the next instalment. Count me in!

85. Deep Water
directed by: Adrian Lyne
starring: Ben Affleck, Ana de Armas

This gives off such major Gillian Flynn adaptation vibes that I was gobsmacked to see that the book was written in the 50s originally! It feels like a sibling to Gone Girl and Sharp Objects.

This brings nothing new to the game, especially after we’ve had adaptations of the aforementioned Flynn novels as well as stuff like Girl on the Train in recent years… but I’d be lying if I said this wasn’t pretty enjoyable.

It was so damn juicy! I couldn’t believe the cheek, the gall, of Ana de Armas just open rubbing her ass on random men’s crotches in front of her husband, lmao. And the way she screamed at Alexa for playing nursery rhymes, haha. Certainly not a natural family woman.

A predictable ending with the car crash but I was hooked by that point so I didn’t mind. And I was kind of rooting for him to get away with it to be honest, lol - he just wanted a nice family.
I did like that it came full circle and finished where it started off too.

(Shout out to Jacob Elordi for being one of the sexiest beings on the planet).

84. Do Revenge
directed by: Jennifer Kaytin Robinson
starring: Camila Mendes, Maya Hawke

This was a tale of two halves for me. I found the first half a bit of a chore and don’t think I chuckled once. It was frustrating because it was definitely going for comedy but nothing was landing but I really wanted to like it.

The Nora twist came just at the right time though and made the second half an entertaining twisty-turny story of friendship and betrayal. It wasn’t a twist I saw coming either but it did well to show how self-absorbed Drea was. Then the surprises didn’t stop coming after that!

In all honesty though, I think I enjoyed the superficial things more than the plot or execution itself. The costume design was very strong. Each outfit linked to the each character’s personalities to a T and were often vibrant and bold enough to enjoy just watching the clothes as a viewer. The soundtrack too was brimming with gay banger after gay banger.

The casting director also deserves a big credit for the success of this film. It was fun to see who would pop up from your favourite streaming show next. I was happy myself as a big fan of ‘13 Reasons Why’, ‘Love, Victor’ and ‘Euphoria’. On that topic, how gorgeous did Alisha Boe look? Why is she not in more things, dang.

83. Love in the Villa
directed by: Mark Steven Johnson
starring: Tom Hopper, Kat Graham

Yes, I definitely watched this for the plot. Feeling a bit robbed we only got one topless Tom Hopper scene to be quite honest.

Actually quite pleasantly surprised at how much I did enjoy this, lol. I usually think a 2 hour rom-com always overstays its welcome but this was fun because we had the pranks of the first half before they then began to like each other. I didn't foresee him having an on/off girlfriend either but she was an iconic bimbo.

Verona is a gorgeous backdrop to the main plot and makes for some scenic shots ripped straight out of a travel brochure. I high-key related to Kat Graham's character too because I'm very that person who has everything pre-booked and tickets ready weeks before the holiday begins, haha.

Yay for happy endings! *starts looking at flights to Italy, ASAP*

82. Kimi
directed by: Steven Soderbergh
starring: Zoë Kravitz, Rita Wilson, India de Beaufort, Emily Kuroda, Byron Bowers, Derek DelGaudio, Betsy Brantley

Ah man, I was so into this for the first hour or so but the final act really lets it down. It had such a good premise and was playing out like a top-notch Black Mirror thriller episode and then it just suddenly turned into this awful chase movie?!

I think this movie was really in its bag when it took place in Angela’s apartment. Her character was really rather endearing and that little sound bite of the screaming woman had you on the edge of your seat wanting to know more…

But then, dumb bad guys chase after her making mistake after mistake. It was like a darker 'Home Alone' by the end, lol. Just such a random tonal shift that treated its viewers as if they didn’t have enough brain cells to enjoy a movie that doesn’t contain guns, stabbing and mindless violence. I don’t want to completely shade the movie because it was still entertaining but it was a bit of a letdown.

Yet another agoraphobic cured in an instant by literally killing another person in their apartment block. Angela must’ve watched ‘Woman in the Window’ on Netflix during the pandemic and taken some inspiration, lmao.

81. Nope
directed by: Jordan Peele
starring: Daniel Kaluuya, Keke Palmer, Steven Yeun, Michael Wincott, Brandon Perea, Keith David

This wasn’t what I expected from Jordan Peele after his first two movies and I’m not sure I’m all that enthused by it. It’s good when it’s good but it’s quite slow to begin with and I found some of the dark shots in the first half frustrating too as it was hard to tell what was going on. I’d say it feels more elevated Hollywood blockbuster than unique horror future classic like Us and Get Out.

Credit where credit is due, there are some spectacular moments that do make it feel more elevated than the usual Hollywood popcorn flick. The idea of the monster regurgitating the non-edible stuff and killing the dad/attacking the house made for a clever reveal. The whole Jupiter’s Claim being swallowed was horrific. And the final act which was thankfully well lit made for some striking visuals. The final act makes the rest of the film worth it.

The darkly lit first act ruined my enjoyment for the most part because it was just near impossible to tell what was going on when the monster was around. It was quite slow to begin with anyway which wouldn’t have bothered me if I could actually distinguish what I was seeing in the few alien-heavy moments. Another thing I didn’t enjoy was the monster transforming in the final act which I found unnecessarily confusing and didn’t look as cool as I was being told it was.

To end, Keke Palmer is a star and I want her in every movie. Shout out to the cinematography and Abels’ score which completely deliver. Well done for the striking final act too. But it’s a disappointing comedown from Peele’s previous movies for me.

80. Halloween Ends
directed by: David Gordon Green
starring: Jamie Lee Curtis, Andi Matichak, Rohan Campbell, Will Patton, Kyle Richards, James Jude Courtney

Maybe the bad reviews had me expecting worse but I thought this was a decent ending to the recent trilogy. It ended how I wanted it to end with Laurie Strode on top so I can’t complain at all.

I liked the Corey plot and was stunned by how brutal the opening act was with his backstory. I really sympathised with him so it was intriguing to see him go off the rails but still manage a personal life with a relationship too. I wish that was able to be explored more before he was killed off. I thought they’d pass on the mantle to him actually so I was surprised by his fate.

However, there were some overly silly moments that just frustrated me as a viewer. For example, all the characters in the car park sequence were so idiotic. Why would the two girls run away in the same direction as the accelerating car? Why would the guard pop up as a bullet was coming at him? Yes, we’re here for a good time but don’t insult your audience with stupid character decisions.

It’s also a shame the writers didn’t realise what an asset Kyle Richards is to this franchise. Do they not see the huge fan base she has from her Real Housewives work? She was barely an extra and got absolutely no closure. Annoying when she was one of the better things about Halloween Kills.

Finally, I know he’s a serial killer but I don’t think you can parade a corpse around tied to the top of a car? Will someone think of the children please!

I still had a good time though so that’s just me being a nitpicker from an objective POV. Halloween remains a good time at the movies and the theme tune will never get old. That shit was getting me hypeeeeed in the opening credits, wow. Timeless!

Re-cap:
80. Halloween Ends
81. Nope
82. Kimi
83. Love in the Villa
84. Do Revenge
85. Deep Water
86. Enola Holmes 2
87. The Tragedy of Macbeth
88. The Lost King
89. The Northman

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 7th January 2023, 06:45 PM
Post #26
Group icon

I loved both 'Northman' & 'NOPE'! Omg. I also found 'Do Revenge' to be a lot of fun, too. Expect 'The Tragedy of Macbeth' to appear low for me too, incredibly dull! But that story has always been boring to me.

'Halloween Ends'... lmao.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 8th January 2023, 02:47 PM
Post #27
Group icon
c:

QUOTE(Tafty³³³ @ Jan 7 2023, 06:45 PM) *
I loved both 'Northman' & 'NOPE'! Omg. I also found 'Do Revenge' to be a lot of fun, too. Expect 'The Tragedy of Macbeth' to appear low for me too, incredibly dull! But that story has always been boring to me.

'Halloween Ends'... lmao.

I'm intrigued to see where Northman and Nope end up for you in your list. I expect high then! They were just style over substance for me sad.gif

I pretty much liked all of the movies at this stage though, just some more than others haha x

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 8th January 2023, 03:29 PM
Post #28
Group icon
c:

79. Bodies Bodies Bodies
directed by: Halina Reijn
starring: Amandla Stenberg, Maria Bakalova, Myha'la Herrold, Chase Sui Wonders, Rachel Sennott, Lee Pace, Pete Davidson

This is mainly fun thanks to its ensemble cast who all get their own moment to shine. Alice was my favourite so I’m glad she lasted long enough to spill all that tea at gunpoint. Pete Davidson also made me chuckle with the face he pulled when he was awaiting a slap.

I was constantly flitting between thinking it was Bee or Sophie who was behind it all so it definitely had me guessing. Even then, I didn’t even think of the reveal that it was actually none of them but it all makes sense thinking we pretty much saw every other death in the film actually happen. I’d like to rewatch this for that very reason.

But… I can’t stand a darkly lit film where you can’t see what’s going on and this is very that for the entire runtime, gah! They tried to get around that issue with the phone flashlights but then it just made for odd character choices where they’d leave their torches on when trying to hide etc.

I also wish we’d got to see more of the Bodies Bodies Bodies game as that was an interesting concept that got dropped pretty quick, and I could’ve used the results to theorise a bit more from that as well.

Bangin’ soundtrack too. All horror movies should come with a dose of Charli XCX, Azealia Banks and Slayyyter.

78. Parallel Mothers
directed by: Pedro Almodóvar
starring: Penélope Cruz, Milena Smit, Israel Elejalde, Aitana Sánchez-Gijón, Rossy de Palma

I'm a simple man... give me a Penélope Cruz and Pedro Almodóvar collaboration and I'm already happy.

I appreciate that all of his movies come back to a love for Spain, its culture and history. However, this one did feel a little like two separate storylines with the excavation one seeming like an afterthought at times. It almost feels like the film never got to really explore the excavation side of things in order for the final title card to really hit home. At the same time, the parallel mothers plot didn't get a proper wrap up because it switched to the other right at the end, hmm.

Two great performances from our lead actresses though. It's to be expected from Cruz, of course, but she nailed those scenes where you could sense her inner doubts were beginning to cloud her judgements. I was impressed by Milena Smit too - one to look out for perhaps!

77. Three Thousand Years of Longing
directed by: George Miller
starring: Idris Elba, Tilda Swinton

I’ve let this one settle now and I still don’t know what to think of it. Certainly a unique film and it made for some very compelling visual storytelling even if I didn’t like everything about it.

The stories told by Elba in the hotel room were so interesting and the visuals to match were just as engaging. I felt like there were loads of little props and things to see in the back of every shot during the flashbacks. I enjoyed Swinton’s comedic interjections too and I thought her and the djinn built up a charming camaraderie throughout their time in the hotel.

After that, things lost me a bit when she made her wish for him to love her. Not sure how I felt about the consent of that and then the movie wasn’t ever fun again following from then. Ultimately, I didn’t really get the message of the final act despite enjoying the love for storytelling in the first half of the film. Her evil bigoted next-door neighbours were the only moment that I liked in the whole final half hour or so.

You can tell there’s a creative mind behind this one and it’s phenomenally narrated at its best but then it loses its way and never pulls back on track. Shame about the ending as I thought this was a real surprise hit up until then.

76. The Lost City
directed by: Adam Nee & Aaron Nee
starring: Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum, Daniel Radcliffe, Da'Vine Joy Randolph, Brad Pitt

This started off strong with Bullock's aloof attitude in the Q&A and Brad Pitt's cameo but it descended into meh before long. After Pitt was gone, the rest of the film was just completely average/'whelming'. It didn't really find a lane that it particularly excelled in... it wasn't funny enough to be a proper comedy and not action-packed enough to be thrilling. I was looking forward to the end once we reached the final act and the jokes became few and far between.

On the cast side, Sandra Bullock shone the most as she was dependable as ever. Simply woooow at Channing Tatum's ass and V-lines. I always have a soft spot for Daniel Radcliffe too and I enjoyed that he threw himself into the role. He added a spark to an otherwise underdeveloped, one-note villain.

I will say that the ongoing gag of Bullock being tied to a chair was indeed fun to watch carry on for so long. Stuffing her into the wheelbarrow whilst Tatum propped up one foot as they ran off in slo-mo was a genius shot. But for every amusing moment like that, there was another that just didn't land. For example, every scene with Da'Vine Joy Randolph at the centre fell short of funny. Her subplot should've been left on the cutting room floor.

To conclude, this reminded me of Jungle Cruise (2021) but for adults only. I'd rather stick that on and have some nice family fun-time instead.

75. The Adam Project
directed by: Shawn Levy
starring: Ryan Reynolds, Walker Scobell, Mark Ruffalo, Jennifer Garner, Catherine Keener, Zoe Saldaña

Sometimes I lose faith in Netflix’s original films because they definitely prioritise quantity over quality. Their movie of the week is usually skippable but I was actually pretty impressed with how big budget and cinematic this felt.

It’s not the most original by any stretch of the imagination but I actually quite liked how it borrowed so heavily from other sci-fi classics and then mish-mashed them all together. The soundtrack was certainly inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy, those forest scene were ripped straight from Endor in Return of the Jedi and the rest of the plot was borrowed from Back to the Future. Yet it all blended well into a fun little popcorn flick. This is the sort of thing I’d go watch at the cinema ordinarily and be happy enough that I spent money on it, haha.

Ryan Reynolds was on autopilot (not that Ryan Reynolds on autopilot is a bad thing but you know what you’re going to get) but it was quite refreshing to see him banter against a younger self. Walker Scobell might be one to watch out for because he held his own against the master of witty quips.

Special shout out to that explosion lightsaber weapon which managed to elevate even Star Wars. It could do almost anything. The way you could use it not only like a sword but also jump far using it, pick yourself back up after a fall, or blow people away for miles. It looked awesome!! I want one!!!

74. Morbius
directed by: Daniel Espinosa
starring: Jared Leto, Matt Smith, Adria Arjona, Jared Harris, Al Madrigal, Tyrese Gibson

It’s really not half as bad as people say. In my opinion, it’s quite a good time at the movies for what it’s worth. It feels low quality compared to the Spidey content we’ve been treated with recently but the only way is down from the huge peak that is No Way Home at the end of the day.

I’m a Matt Smith fan always and I thought he played a great little villain here. His awkward natural presence helped him nail the weedy dying aspect already and then he was real fun chewing the scenery after he took the serum too. I don’t think Jared Leto is a strong leading man though and was one of the main reasons that this film didn’t quite click for me.

I’m usually a hater of slow-motion too but it really worked for me here. I loved the way the vampiric characteristics would sort of bubble under the surface fighting to get out as Morbius attempted to hold them back. And the claws being unleashed in the Leto vs. Smith fights were better to see in slo-mo too. Yeah sure, the CGI could have been stronger but I’ve seen worse in other major blockbusters.

Far from a comic book movie classic but doesn’t deserve mass levels of hate either. I’d like to see these characters crop up again so I hope something does come of those post-credit teases.

73. Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris
directed by: Anthony Fabian
starring: Lesley Manville, Isabelle Huppert, Lambert Wilson, Alba Baptista, Lucas Bravo, Ellen Thomas, Rose Williams, Jason Isaacs

OK, I'll be the first to admit that I was not looking forward to this but I did end up being totally charmed. It has that warm cozy feeling that a good old British production gives you.

Manville is just lush in this and gives me Meryl Streep (in recent years) vibes which is high praise coming from me. Isabelle Huppert is deliciously savage too. I especially loved their first scene together when Huppert is prioritising the posh customers over Ada, haha. Also a bit obsessed with Natasha and her love interest spouting philosophical nonsense at one another and falling in love (it's OK though because he was fit).

Very happy for Mrs. Harris that she got a good ending after all. I was worried when we were a good 7/8ths through the film and she still didn't have that jaw-dropping red gown yet. I almost teared up when she had her Hermione Granger at the Yule Ball moment. Good on her too for bagging the sexy af (and Irish!!) Jason Isaacs in the end, phwoar.

I do find it a bit odd that this kind of frames itself a bit like a true story though. There are so many specific details like featuring Dior rather than a generic fashion house, betting on a certain dog, being a war widow etc. that make this seems like it's based on real life, but it just... isn't(?!). I almost felt a little cheated going home and seeing it was based on fiction, lmao.

72. Nightmare Alley
directed by: Guillero Del Toro
starring: Bradley Cooper, Cate Blanchett, Toni Collette, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins, Rooney Mara, Ron Perlman, Mary Steenburgen, David Strathairn

My one & only qualm with this was its slow start. If things had kicked off from the ‘2 years later’ segment then I would’ve been absolutely hooked from start to finish but I felt it took a little while to really get going (even though it did pay off!). Also, Rooney Mara remains a complete charisma vacuum and bore but I guess she can’t help it if she keeps getting work.

I was really in my element once Blanchett was introduced and the deceitful double act began. Getting involved with some very dangerous men made the stakes feel super high and my tummy was turning throughout knowing something was bound to go wrong. Blanchett was so captivating on screen, she always brings such an electricity to her roles.

I also liked that everything came full circle in a sense and Stan was offered the ‘geek’ role at the very end. It like a fitting end for such a complicated character.

71. Jurassic World Dominion
directed by: Colin Trevorrow
starring: Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Isabella Sermon, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, Sam Neill, DeWanda Wise, Mamoudou Athie, BD Wong, Omar Sy

Not entirely sure what to think of this one as it was a bit up and down. None of the Jurassic World films have really hit in the same way that the 2015 one did.

This one started off pretty boring considering the exciting premise that Fallen Kingdom left us with. I feel like they didn't do much with humans and dinosuars co-existing and thus, the opening didn't really grab me.

It got pretty exciting towards the middle with some of the action scenes. At the end of the day, watching dinos unleashed will never get old. The Malta chase scene was really exhilirating, especially the big chase. The highlight of the whole movie was Dallas-Howard cowering underwater and that insane shot from the trailer.

And then the final act was a total mixed bag. On one hand, I enjoyed the T-Rex vs Giganotosaurus fight and I was happy to see the old cast interact with the new. Dern & Dallas-Howard were such a female boss duo.

On the other hand, that human clone character was so irritating. The way she yelled 'STOP! LISTEN TO ME' like she was telling off a naughty school child and not a literal velociraptor, lmao. The final act was a bit too dimly lit to be 100% enjoyable as well. That's where the outdoors Malta sequence excelled.

Overall, we know this franchise can be so much better so it's a shame when it's not. This one massively lacks the theme park magic that made the Spielberg ones so charming too. Still some awesome dinos and loveable characters so I'm glad I watched it and let's be honest, I'll continue to watch them as long as they make them.

70. Watcher
directed by: Chloe Okuno
starring: Maika Monroe, Karl Glusman, Burn Gorman

F*cking hell… it’s not only Ryan Murphy giving me the fear of being watched in my own home this Autumn, ey. I’m never going to look out of my bedroom window ever again.

I’ve always found Burn Gorman a bit creepy, way back since Torchwood so I thought he was excellently cast in this role. His eyes were so dark and so cold in that moment where he lies down with her in the apartment at the end.

I’ve never jumped so much at a gunshot in my life either. The sound was turned all the way up on those two gunshots, bloody hell. Even the second had me up out of my seat. Good on her though, I bet she feels so damn vindicated.

I also would like to say that I liked having the foreign setting of Romania. Having a lot of dialogue not be in English threw you right in to the uneasy feeling of not knowing what’s going on around you. Good little trick to get you to sympathise with Maika Monroe immediately.

Re-cap:
70. Watcher
71. Jurassic World: Dominion
72. Nightmare Alley
73. Mrs Harris Goes to Paris
74. Morbius
75. The Adam Project
76. The Lost City
77. Three Thousand Years of Longing
78. Parallel Mothers
79. Bodies Bodies Bodies

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 8th January 2023, 03:53 PM
Post #29
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I wasn't sure about Nope at first, but it's definitely a movie that stays with you. I really loved the Spielbergian influences and the stories tying together to comment on how we are as people. I do think it was a bit overlong overall, but I'm glad Jordan Peele is still putting out really thought-provoking stuff.

The Northman wasn't as good as Robert Eggers' other work (The Witch and The Lighthouse are absolute favourites), it felt more predictable and simplistic, but I was pleased to see him get more of a budget and it was still a real epic and looked beautiful. Such a shame it flopped :'(

Bodies Bodies Bodies was a real surprise for me and was in my top 10 of the year, I loved that the twist fed into how absolutely cartoonishly awful all the characters were, very entertaining film.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 9th January 2023, 06:42 PM
Post #30
Group icon
c:

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jan 8 2023, 03:53 PM) *
I wasn't sure about Nope at first, but it's definitely a movie that stays with you. I really loved the Spielbergian influences and the stories tying together to comment on how we are as people. I do think it was a bit overlong overall, but I'm glad Jordan Peele is still putting out really thought-provoking stuff.

The Northman wasn't as good as Robert Eggers' other work (The Witch and The Lighthouse are absolute favourites), it felt more predictable and simplistic, but I was pleased to see him get more of a budget and it was still a real epic and looked beautiful. Such a shame it flopped :'(

Bodies Bodies Bodies was a real surprise for me and was in my top 10 of the year, I loved that the twist fed into how absolutely cartoonishly awful all the characters were, very entertaining film.

I can see why people find Nope impressive but it was just such a let-down after Peele's first two for me. Cinematically strong perhaps but it was more style over substance than anything for me. I'm still perched to see what he does next though and it's nice to have a new director around with such a unique sense of film-making.

I've not seen any of the other Eggers movies but can't say I'm in a hurry after The Northman. Another one that I can see why people like it but I just didn't get personally at all. From what I know of them, I bet the other two movies you mentioned are even less accessible, haha. I'd be setting myself up for disappointment I think

Enjoyed reading all of your thoughts Chez!

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 9th January 2023, 06:48 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

Watcher was one of my biggest surprises this year, so slow burning but so so good and realistic. One of my favourite horror films this year I think!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 9th January 2023, 07:02 PM
Post #32
Group icon
c:

69. The Eyes of Tammy Faye
directed by: Michael Showalter
starring: Jessica Chastain, Andrew Garfield, Cherry Jones, Vincent D'Onofrio

I knew nothing of Jim and Tammy Bakker before watching this movie so I'm glad it exists to educate me on these modern historical figures. Jim was a right piece of work but I wasn't expecting it to go that catastrophically wrong for him. I'm glad she dumped him once he was imprisoned, lol.

I really liked Jessica Chastain in this (she was very watchable). She had that endearing, sweet quality to her which made you want to listen to what she had to say. I can see how they garnered such a fanbase so quickly in real life. I really felt for her when she was crying on screen at various moments, and especially when you could see her empire crumbling around her in the final act.

The downside of this being that it was a bit biopic by numbers and I did feel it drag a little towards the end. I was expecting it to wrap up a couple times before it did.

68. Red Rocket
directed by: Sean Baker
starring: Simon Rex, Suzanna Son

So this movie confirms that Sean Baker has the monopoly on iconic fight scenes that take part in doughnut shops.

I’m not usually the biggest fan of films that feel more like a collection of real life scenarios as opposed to a storyline with a proper narrative… but there’s something special about the way Baker directs that makes it different. He manages to make his movies so warm and fuzzy and vibey that they just feel like a breeze to watch.

Shout out to Simon Rex for a stand out performance too. He had the exact swagger and self-confidence that an ex-pornstar would have. Equal parts charming and vulnerable, he showcased an impressive range in this role. Certainly a stronger awards contender than American Macbeth in my eyes.

67. Elvis
directed by: Baz Luhrmann
starring: Austin Butler, Tom Hanks, Olivia DeJonge, Helen Thomson, Richard Roxburgh, Kelvin Harrison Jr., David Wenham, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Luke Bracey

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would considering I'm not a fan of Elvis' music at all and know next to nothing about his personal life. Butler's performance helps to sell this whole package and I thought the 'Suspicious Minds' and Christmas special moments would make brilliant Oscars clip if things go his way this awards season.

I must say I was a little lost in the first act when Luhrmann's maximalism was at its peak and I didn't the know story well enough beforehand to follow it along. I was really hooked by the time it got to the Vegas residency segment though and the power politics in play between Presley and Parker. The latter was such a conman... I couldn't believe the title card at the end saying he tried to get away with things by claiming he wasn't a proper US citizen!

Overall, a little too long for a biopic and it doesn't fit my personal tickboxes or interests but it was certainly jam-packed full of style which made things more exciting than other biopics of recent times. Job well done - I can see why people are enjoying it.

66. Sing 2
directed by: Garth Jennings
starring: Matthew McConaughey, Reese Witherspoon, Scarlett Johansson, Taron Egerton, Tori Kelly, Nick Kroll, Bobby Cannavale, Halsey, Pharrell Williams, Nick Offerman, Letitia Wright, Eric André, Chelsea Peretti, Bono

I remember finding the first Sing kind of long and it certainly dragged during the final act. This was the complete opposite! I was having a whale of a time during the actual concert… I’d have watched a whole film of it. The songs were bangers & the cast was so stacked that it was fun hearing celebs basically do jukebox karaoke.

It still does juggle a bit too many characters though and some are less interesting or harder to root for than others. Could do with cutting out Tori Kelly’s elephant completely (and Gunter tbh but I get that he’s there for comedy relief to three year olds).

Saying that, the new additions were really welcome to the cast. Halsey’s wolf was a scene stealer and Letitia Wright’s proper British accent was endearing too. I’d personally just drop the irrelevant original characters for Sing 3 and keep those around, haha. More gags about Miss Crawly’s eye too please because that shit is surprisingly funny!

65. Orphan: First Kill
directed by: William Brent Bell
starring: Isabelle Fuhrman, Rossif Sutherland, Hiro Kanagawa, Matthew Finlan, Julia Stiles

In many ways this was even more camp than the first. The mother versus daughter rivalry is already one for the ages, lmao. “I’m going to go upstairs and f*** my husband” is the one liner to end all one liners.

In fact, anything Julia Stiles said was instantly iconic. I knew that parrot was going to crop back up again but I could never have predicted the line “all macaws are parrots but not all parrots are f***ing macaws”. Camp!!!

A few of those silly horror tropes and plot holes that made me frustrated as things unfurled. Name one good reason why mother and son would split up in that house in the final act with a killer on the loose?! And then in the attempted murder train push scene, why would the dad (who is seemingly most affected by the loss of Esther) encourage his daughter to go up to the platform alone whilst he gets coffee?! Make it make sense.

All in all, the woman-child character that Isabelle Fuhrmann has created is an excellent one to watch. She singlehandedly makes these movies a success, and will continue to do so as long as they make more. Throw in a fun bit of female rivalry, some blunt one liners and I’m all in. I can’t be too mad at picking scenes apart when it’s just a fun thriller and it never pretends to be anything more.

I did not see that twist coming either so props to the writers for coming up with something almost as shocking as the first movie’s twist.

64. Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance With Somebody
directed by: Kasi Lemmons
starring: Naomi Ackie, Stanley Tucci, Ashton Sanders, Tamara Tunie, Nafessa Williams, Clarke Peters

I wasn't looking forward to this after seeing the run-time and finding last year's similarly-themed Aretha biopic Respect a total slog. However, I was entertained throughout and I guess that's just the power of Whitney. This doesn't tell us anything much that I didn't know before (and nothing I wouldn't be able to pick up from a skim over her Wiki page) but her life has ups and downs enough to be an engaging tale for the big screen.

In fact, my favourite bit about the whole film was seeing the live performances recreated. Her real-life voice used in the live performances here just sounds spectacular. My highlights were the Oprah comeback, "I Will Always Love You" in South Africa and her very first big moment with her cover of "The Great Love of All".

Of course, my ultimate favourite moment being the 1994 AMAs medley that is kept until the very end. It's not a performance that I was familiar with before but is 100% something I need to check out. That is right up my street!

Naomi Ackie puts in an impressive performance, and one that is rather transformative, but I wouldn't say anything is particularly awards worthy about this. Overall, this is by the book and whilst it does everything competently enough... it's not memorable or unique in any way.

What a tragic ending. I've been getting my Whitney fix over the past few days for sure on Spotify. What a phenomenon.

63. Jennifer Lopez: Halftime
directed by: Amanda Micheli
starring: Jennifer Lopez

What a woman! What a grafter! The part where they were talking about JLo balancing three full-time careers is too true. Imagine being that talented at singing, dancing, acting, modelling and so on (Meanwhile, I can’t even find one thing to be good at, lmao).

This was kind of a tough watch knowing how The Academy unjustly snubbed her in the end for Hustlers. As another famous musician once said, “I think I've seen this film before and I didn't like the ending”. It was gutting to see her get more excited about the chance to finally be respected by peers and critics in the form of a nomination, to have that snatched away. We were all here for that awards season and know she deserved a spot, damnit.

I loved seeing all the behind the scenes of the Super Bowl show too. I think it’s one of my favourite half-time shows of recent years and it was touching to see how passionate JLo was about making it a big moment for inclusivity. Love the shoe-horning in of “Let’s Get Loud” at any opportunity too, haha - even the inauguration event! It’s a banger though so good for her.

She’s a star and I’m ready to be obsessed all over again. It must be said though, there was a weird blurring effect on loads of scenes in this documentary and it high-key made me dizzy.

62. The School for Good and Evil
directed by: Paul Feig
starring: Sophia Anne Caruso, Sofia Wylie, Laurence Fishburne, Michelle Yeoh, Jamie Flatters, Kit Young, Peter Serafinowicz, Rob Delaney, Mark Heap, Patti LuPone, Rachel Bloom, Cate Blanchett, Kerry Washington, Charlize Theron

Probably the least unique film I’ve ever seen… BUT I still had a fabulous and fun time watching it, lmaoooo. My standards when it comes to enjoying movies really must be f*cking low.

Like literally every single thing about it was borrowed from another franchise. The schools felt very Hogwarts and the bad guys felt very Slytherin. The whole entire plot is just the plot of Wicked. The combination of magic powers and the sword fighting were ripped straight from the Snow White huntsman film and its sequel. The outfits and set design must’ve been wheeled out from the Bridgerton section of Netflix’s storage facility. Yet it somehow worked in its own charming way.

It felt expensive for a streaming movie and it’s the sort of thing that easily could’ve had a theatrical release if it were out a decade ago. There was at least some use of special effects like every 30 seconds!! It must’ve cost a fortune. And some of it looked really good too like the giant featherless bird monster.

I was excited to see Sofia Wylie as a HSMTMTS fan and she did do a good job. It was so unrealistic how they were calling her ugly, witch, troll etc. in the first act though because she’s absolutely stunning. Her and her love interest looked great together. (He’s younger than me but come on, he was dreamy).

It was Sophia Anne Carruso who stole the show though. She was looking camp right in the eye, lmao. I didn’t know it could get better than her storming in to the sound of Billie Eilish, but then her descent into ugliness with the heavy prosthetics and black veil was even more iconic - Queen!!

So yeah, totally derivative of literally everything but I had a super fun time. This is peak streaming entertainment and I’m glad we get to enjoy such high budget fare from our own living rooms.

61. My Policeman
directed by: Michael Grandage
starring: Harry Styles, Emma Corrin, Gina McKee, Linus Roache, David Dawson, Rupert Everett

Makes you grateful to be gay in this day and age don’t it… that shot of them embracing at the end hits home because they could’ve been happy if they were falling in love just 50 years later. What a horrible era to have lived through if you were harbouring those totally natural gay thoughts, damn.

I’ve never warmed to Emma Corrin before, especially in The Crown, but she managed to be the one I sympathised most with here. You’d think I’d relate to the gays way more but I just felt awful for her. That postcard she received felt like such a kick in the face. I’d have acted the same to be honest!

The difference in the two lots of sex scenes was striking too and I liked the way they were shot in such a contrasting way. The ones between the two boys were so much more passionate than the stale, awkward, seemingly painful sex between the newlyweds. That must’ve sent her mind into overdrive, poor thing.

On that note, thanking this film that we got to see Harry Styles in various states of undress (rip tattoos) and topping! Back up to #1 on the list of 1D members that I’d like to f***. He can’t maintain an accent for the life of him though, bless. I think he ought to get a few more lessons before picking up another major film role.

I’m pleased with this film though and I wasn’t sure that I would be. I’d probably read this book actually because it’s the sort of thing I’d have loved reading as a closeted 17 year-old.

60. Ambulance
directed by: Michael Bay
starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Eiza González

You can so tell Michael Bay bought himself a drone, played around with it and just so happened to make a movie as a result. The swooping shots as if you’re on a rollercoaster just being used to establish the characters are in a bank was wild, haha.

I was dreading this a little based on runtime alone but it got going immediately and it never let up. I can’t complain at runtime if I was never ever bored! I must admit that I did forget who that young girl was when she cropped up at the end again as so much had happened in between start and finish, haha.

In fact, I was pretty gripped for the most part. That surgery in the back of the ambulance with the doctors on FaceTime was insane and I was on the edge of my seat. Some of the tactics for keeping the police at bay were really clever too and I enjoyed seeing the power be in the robbers’ hands a lot of the time.

Some poor dialogue (some of it funny though in all honesty) makes it a bit of a cringe at times but it’s not like you go and watch a heist thriller for the dialogue, lmao.

Re-cap:
60. Ambulance
61. My Policeman
62. The School for Good and Evil
63. Jennifer Lopez: Halftime
64. Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance With Somebody
65. Orphan: First Kill
66. Sing 2
67. Elvis
68. Red Rocket
69. The Eyes of Tammy Faye

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 9th January 2023, 11:51 PM
Post #33
Group icon

'Bodies Bodies Bodies' was a pleasant surprise for me! One of my favourite endings to a movie in 2022 too laugh.gif

'Morbius' being not last though cheeseblock.png I always forget that I need to see 'Watcher' but I didn't get around to it! I really need to as I love Maika wub.gif I keep seeing 'Red Rocket' pop up quite a bit too, maybe I'll give it a go at some point. Ugh, 'Elvis' & 'I Wanna Dance...' so disappointing that for such prolific careers of musical legends we basically got movies in bullet points with no real story weaved in. I was gutted, more for Whitney's biopic though </3

'Ambulance', I'm glad you got enjoyment out of it. I hated it. But I'm not really *that* into that kinda action movie.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 10th January 2023, 10:58 AM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

Orphan: First Kill was on the right side of camp for me and had so many iconic one liners - "now I'm going to go f*** MY husband" and "here have this coffee, it tastes like shit" or something along those lines made me scream.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 10th January 2023, 06:30 PM
Post #35
Group icon
c:

QUOTE(JackTheeStallion @ Jan 10 2023, 10:58 AM) *
Orphan: First Kill was on the right side of camp for me and had so many iconic one liners - "now I'm going to go f*** MY husband" and "here have this coffee, it tastes like shit" or something along those lines made me scream.

So camp!!! Like yeah, it was a bit rubbish but like movies are about enjoyment and it was undeniably fun!! Julia Stiles was chewing up those one liners, lmao.

Always enjoy reading your opinions Jack!

QUOTE(Tafty³³³ @ Jan 9 2023, 11:51 PM) *
'Bodies Bodies Bodies' was a pleasant surprise for me! One of my favourite endings to a movie in 2022 too laugh.gif

'Morbius' being not last though cheeseblock.png I always forget that I need to see 'Watcher' but I didn't get around to it! I really need to as I love Maika wub.gif I keep seeing 'Red Rocket' pop up quite a bit too, maybe I'll give it a go at some point. Ugh, 'Elvis' & 'I Wanna Dance...' so disappointing that for such prolific careers of musical legends we basically got movies in bullet points with no real story weaved in. I was gutted, more for Whitney's biopic though </3

'Ambulance', I'm glad you got enjoyment out of it. I hated it. But I'm not really *that* into that kinda action movie.

Watcher was actually pretty worth the watch. Too late to include in this year's countdown for ya but if you're ever stuck on what to watch one afternoon then I think it'd make a great streaming movie.

Have you even seen Tangerine or The Florida Project? Red Rocket the same director so might be up your street if you liked those!

I usually hate a bog-standard action movie but there was just something about Ambulance kept me thoroughly entertained!! Maybe it was Jake Gyllenhaal's sweet face, lmao :')

Thank you for all the comments so far x

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 10th January 2023, 06:50 PM
Post #36
Group icon
c:

59. Lightyear
directed by: Angus MacLane
starring: Chris Evans, Keke Palmer, Peter Sohn, Taika Waititi, Dale Soules, James Brolin
Uzo Aduba

I've never been a big Toy Story fan so this already had a bit of an uphill battle but I'd have to say that it was more fun without the insufferable Woody centre stage. I did think it felt terribly short though and felt almost lacking in a proper final act... I thought there'd be more and then the final credits rolled.

As far as Pixar movies go, it felt less clever and less full of heart than some of their very best like 'Inside Out' or 'Turning Red'. Of course, there was the Interstellar-esque sequence where Buzz slowly saw his space ranger partner age and eventually die which was an emotional one.

If I was Andy in the Toy Story universe though, I'd skip straight past the Buzz toys in favour of the Sox ones, haha. That cat was a total scene stealer. It was like the Stanley knife of companions, lol, it could do everything. The tranquilliser dart, the USB stick tail, the bunsen burner - obsessed!

Overall, I did enjoy this more than I have enjoyed anything else from this universe so it has that going for it. There were some gorgeous cinematography moments of outer space and Sox was one of Pixar's best companions yet. It was also nice to see a gay relationship in a mainstream Disney movie and it feel so natural.

However, I was not so keen on the Zurg twist and I didn't think Taika Waititi was on top form either (he felt more annoying than funny) even though I usually think he's great. Also, what did ever happen to the rookie from the first act? Seems unusual that he was never mentioned again.

58. Fall
directed by: Scott Mann
starring: Grace Caroline Currey, Virginia Gardner, Mason Gooding, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Darrell Dennis

I do love a little survival thriller so this was right up my alley. Everything to do with the actual survival was super engaging and did a good job of giving me a massive pit in my stomach. My tummy wobbled every time we saw how far up the structure they were.

I did think some of the actual plot and character points ruined an otherwise entertaining flick though. That blonde friend was just so unlikeable that it was hard to watch her. She was fame-hungry, a total showboater, heavy on peer pressure, cocky, arrogant, a home wrecker, foul-mouthed. There wasn’t one redeeming feature! I’m not even sure why they designed such a central character to be that one-dimensionally horrible, lmao.

Some silly moments too like her phone somehow having 60% battery days later when we all known an iPhone wouldn’t last five hours without a charge. She didn’t even have it on low power mode! Funny that she just had whatever app necessary downloaded already to fly the drone too, because she certainly didn’t have signal to download it. Huh?! And why would she fly the drone right through the busy road, ffs.

Overall, I enjoyed the uneasiness the film captured very well. I felt sick at times and the tower structure itself looked so daunting. I just wish certain other bits had a bit more time and effort put into them. I'd watch again though in the future.

57. Downton Abbey: A New Era
directed by: Simon Curtis
starring: Hugh Bonneville, Jim Carter, Michelle Dockery, Elizabeth McGovern, Maggie Smith, Imelda Staunton, Penelope Wilton

Ah, I just love the Downton Abbey universe. It’s like a warm hug each and every time. I would gladly watch an instalment every few years until Michelle Dockery is Maggie Smith’s age!

There’s something not very cinematic about this one though. I think it’s the two completely separate plots made to pad out a two hour runtime. It feels like we could’ve just as easily had a 1 hour ITV special for the movie-making at Downton, and one for the trip to France. I do love a good Hollywood-esque storyline too so I enjoyed seeing the change from silent films to “talkies”, and the dialogue being layered on to the visuals.

A lovely send off for Violet and I’m happy she got her little moment with each family member at her bedside. As scathing as ever, of course. My favourite one liner was “I can’t even hear myself die”.

Overall, good vibes and classic British fun but did it need to be a cinema-going experience? I don’t think so. I’ll still go back though, film after film (as long as they keep making them), to see Michelle Dockery run the show. I’m also glad Imelda Staunton came back as she was so iconic in the first movie. I hope she’s a Downton staple now.

56. The Duke
directed by: Roger Michell
starring: Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, Fionn Whitehead, Anna Maxwell Martin, Matthew Goode, Jack Bandeira, Aimée Kelly, Charlotte Spencer

Hahaha, Kempton Bunton was such a character. This little Geordie family added so much heart to the movie that made it a delight to watch. Very British and makes you proud to live up north especially.

I absolutely loved seeing something on the big screen be set in Newcastle. Not often I walk past a landmark on the way to the cinema in real life and then see them pop up in the film later on (!!) but that was the case with Grey’s Monument here. Iconic of Byker being the butt (literally) of the joke too. The jokes are 10x funnier when they’re about places ten minutes from your house!!

True story of course but bit mad that he was judged as not guilty for all those crimes when he was quite clearly guilty, lol, but good for him!

Other random thoughts:
- Helen Mirren’s shaking was a scene stealer.
- I hope Jackie Bunton was that fit irl.
- “You’d lose your balls if they weren’t in a bag”

55. Your Christmas or Mine?
directed by: Jim O'Hanlon
starring: Asa Butterfield, Cora Kirk, Daniel Mays, Angela Griffin, Harriet Walter, Alex Jennings

Your Christmas or Mine is a sweet little concept and it wastes no time getting the plot running right away. It's hardly the most original story but it's festive, short and sweet... and it's actually funny! I probably will re-watch this in future even though it's not likely to be an annual occurrence. The mixture of families reminded me a little of 'Boxing Day' from last year and I had a great time watching that too.

Big shout out to Natalie Gumede who I haven't seen on-screen since my days of watching Corrie about a decade ago. She's a huge scene stealer here and probably provides the biggest laughs. She perfectly played the wild cougar of an aunt that everyone loves at Christmas but is probably a little on the inappropriate side.

It had twists which I wasn't expecting so I appreciated that. These Christmas family movies are often all too predictable but that Lucien Laviscount fiancé reveal took me by total surprise. I felt awful for Hubert/James in that moment as you could see his face drop and mind work overtime with all the possibilities, bless.

I do love me some Asa Butterfield so I appreciated him in the lead role, very cute. Cora Kirk and her unapologetic northern-ness was also endearing. That family picture was adorable at the end too, n'awwww. This definitely put me in a good mood so hurray and Merry Christmas.

I also must applaud the soundtrack for having plenty of inspired Christmas covers. I've made some discoveries from it and I've put some of the originals in my Spotify playlist. It's a travesty that the soundtrack for this isn't available on UK streaming though. Get that sorted ASAP!! I'm done with Amazon exclusives.

54. Violent Night
directed by: Tommy Wirkola
starring: David Harbour, John Leguizamo, Alex Hassell, Alexis Louder, Edi Patterson, Cam Gigandet, Leah Brady, Beverly D'Angelo

Immediately one of my favourite Christmas films aimed at adults. It manages a really good balance of grown-up content and festivity too.

87North are building up quite the action repertoire between Nobody, Bullet Train and this. All have excellently choreographed fight scenes and know how to do over-the-top brutality perfectly.

I’ve always had a bit of a fear of ice skates so it was funny to see them used to their fullest weapon potential. I liked that stuff like tree toppers and Christmas lights were used as part of the action here in a creative way.

The highlight of the movie is the Home Alone inspired sequence though. It had me watching through my hands with all the hints at the nails poking up!!

Definitely fun stuff and it’s safe to say 87North have me hooked with their style. Can’t wait to see what they produce next!

53. Bros
directed by: Nicholas Stoller
starring: Billy Eichner, Luke Macfarlane

This was cute and I’ll always be happy to support gay stories in cinema. To be honest, I forgot I was even watching a film after thirty minutes as I was far too distracted by Luke Macfarlane’s eyes, arms, short shorts, legs etc.

I’ve never loved Billy Eichner but I found this actually pretty funny in places and surprisingly raunchy for a theatrical release. I didn’t think we’d see much foot fetish and foursome content in a mainstream rom-com. You don’t see that in straight ones, lmao!

I do wish we had a UK version of this sort of thing though because my own knowledge gaps meant that a lot of the American cultural references flew over my head. I’d be screaming if someone like Julie Hesmondhalgh featured as a cameo instead of Debra Messing who I’m not familiar with, lol.

I think this naturally could be compared to Fire Island from earlier in 2022 and I’d say this was less successful. The jokes were sometimes too on the nose for the gays and too preachy for the straights and, ultimately, I can see why it hasn’t found much of an audience in theatres.

52. The Sea Beast
directed by: Chris Williams
starring: Karl Urban, Zaris-Angel Hator, Jared Harris, Marianne Jean-Baptiste

I wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as I did but it was better than half of the sh*t that the live-action Netflix division put out, lol. There were some really fun monster designs, some vibrant colours, and some genuinely threatening action scenes. I can see why both adults and kids would enjoy this one.

In fact, the whole package had a lot of heart and a good message. Seeing those very man-made spears and other things trap and hurt the monsters is so true to how we treat sea life in the real world.

I was glad to see that whole kingdom get ruined, even if it were accidental. That monarchy deserved all the bad things that happened to them. What a gorgeously animated kingdom though... like maybe the best I've ever seen?

Minus stars for the irritating fake pirate accents which just sounded so forced. The character of Maisie Brumble was the worst offender. I cringed every time she spoke in that faux-pirate British accent. Ugh!

51. Mass
directed by: Fran Kranz
starring: Reed Birney, Ann Dowd, Jason Isaacs, Martha Plimpton

Phwoar, what a brutal watch. I had avoided trailers for this so I wasn't really sure what to expect from this but I didn't know it'd be such an in-depth, performance-focused character drama set in just one room. It's all the better for it though and I must say that the writing and acting on display is perfect.

It's hard to pinpoint a particular performance highlight but I'd say, for me, it was Jason Isaacs. I just thought he had this very real glint of tears in his eyes that we've all experienced when trying to hold it together in front of others. Of course, Ann Dowd has that absolute gut-punch of a monologue at the end and has deservedly received heaps of acclaim for her role too.

I also liked that it was so evenly split between both families. It's not enough we get to see the loved ones of the perpetrators and how they're going through a very similar grief after the loss of the person they thought they knew.

This makes for an excellent character piece but I won't be rushing to watch it again. I think thats enough emotional trauma to last me a while, lmao.

50. Fire Island
directed by: Andrew Ahn
starring: Joel Kim Booster, Bowen Yang, Conrad Ricamora, James Scully, Margaret Cho

The perfect streaming movie for any gay culture fan to stick on and escape for a couple of hours. The way the central group massively interacted reminded me of my own circle of friends which added to my enjoyment. We're totally the ones listing Marisa Tomei's greatest roles in the middle of a drinking game, haha.

I wasn't really a fan of the Will plot because let's be real, he was an asshole on day one (and then again on day two... and day three... and so on and so forth) and didn't really deserve a redemption arc. A total fun-sucker and felt way older than the rest of the cast which felt a bit predatory too.

At the end of the day though, a vastly diverse cast doing extremely gay things in a film advertised on the Disney+ homepage is such a win for all things queer. This is 2022 baby, and we're living it.

P.S. I could've watched Dex and Noah go at it in the dark room for hours, shh..

Re-cap:
50. Fire Island
51. Mass
52. The Sea Beast
53. Bros
54. Violent Night
55. Your Christmas or Mine?
56. The Duke
57. Downton Abbey: A New Era
58. Fall
59. Lightyear

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 11th January 2023, 11:18 AM
Post #37
Group icon

I enjoyed 'Lightyear' too. The main issue for me was that it really wasn't needed and was one of the most obvious "cash cows" I think I've ever witnessed laugh.gif But it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I feared it would be. I still need to see 'Fall' myself. Heard very mixed stuff but the good stuff seems to be that it's a blast! I enjoyed 'Violent Night' more than I expected to. Intrigued to see how that holds up with annual viewings.

I enjoyed 'Fire Island' a lot! But Will was my favourite lmaoooo!!! tearsmile.gif (I didn't get how he was an asshole sad.gif lol) But I enjoyed everyone in it!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 11th January 2023, 06:11 PM
Post #38
Group icon
c:

QUOTE(Tafty³³³ @ Jan 11 2023, 11:18 AM) *
I enjoyed 'Lightyear' too. The main issue for me was that it really wasn't needed and was one of the most obvious "cash cows" I think I've ever witnessed laugh.gif But it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I feared it would be. I still need to see 'Fall' myself. Heard very mixed stuff but the good stuff seems to be that it's a blast! I enjoyed 'Violent Night' more than I expected to. Intrigued to see how that holds up with annual viewings.

I enjoyed 'Fire Island' a lot! But Will was my favourite lmaoooo!!! tearsmile.gif (I didn't get how he was an asshole sad.gif lol) But I enjoyed everyone in it!

Not much of a good cash cow either was it considering the box office flop of it all laugh.gif

Fall is definitely worth a watch! Probably streaming level movie quality to be honest but it's good fun, edge of your seat stuff in places!!

Will was so moody!!!! I just wanted the gays to have a fun time without him bringing them down, haha. Another one we'll have to agree to disagree on tongue.gif

Thanks as always Jonjo x

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 11th January 2023, 06:32 PM
Post #39
Group icon
c:

49. Bones and All
directed by: Luca Guadagnino
starring: Taylor Russell, Timothée Chalamet, Michael Stuhlbarg, André Holland, Chloë Sevigny, David Gordon Green, Jessica Harper, Jake Horowitz, Mark Rylance

This is objectively very good, and it has way more standout scenes than your ordinary movie… but it was just a bit much for me. I didn’t even think I was that squeamish but this had me squirming like I’ve never squirmed before.

My heart was in my mouth watching the mum read the letter out and get to her final point as she pounced on Maren. The no-hands added so much pain and suffering to that scene with a simple directorial choice. You can tell Luca Guadagnino is an expert of his craft in the sense that each detail is thought through.

And then I thought the plot was settling up and then we got the most scary scene in the entire film. My stomach was in KNOTS watching Sully pin her down whilst dripping saliva, ughhh. So f***ing creepy man. What an outstanding supporting performance. Revoke his Oscar and give it back to him with ‘Bones and All’ engraved instead!!

Also, this bisexual cannibal twink version of Timothée Chalamet was definitely doing things for me. Maybe I’m in my Armie Hammer era.

So yeah, like woah. Plenty of this will sit with me for a long while, but I’m in no rush to ever watch it again (lmao).

48. Pinocchio
directed by: Robert Zemeckis
starring: Tom Hanks, Benjamin Evan Ainsworth, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Keegan-Michael Key, Lorraine Bracco, Cynthia Erivo, Giuseppe Battiston, Luke Evans

I don't have very many childhood memories of the original animated Pinocchio as it was never a big favourite of mine so I wasn't all that hyped for this but ended up being totally charmed. I would say though that it certainly feels smaller in scale than the other recent live-action remakes for the likes of Beauty and the Beast and The Jungle Book and so is probably better suited to being a streaming only movie. I'd liken this one more so to the recent live-action remakes of Dumbo and Lady and the Tramp instead.

There's loads of good stuff here though which definitely gives the old classic a bit of new life. There were some very well designed sequences that were a joy to watch and had so many little references where you could easily pause the frame and look deeper into them. For example, Geppetto's personalised Disney classic cuckoo clocks were such a nice little touch. The production design of the puppet show made it a total joy to watch too, as was the introduction to Pleasure Island. If I was a kid seeing this for the first time, I'd be half tempted to just jump right into the screen... and that's the magic of cinema, isn't it!?

A bit of shoddy CGI in the final act detracts from things slightly. You can just tell all water sequences were filmed on a green screen and it takes you out of the fantasy at times.

At the end of the day though, this new version shines up a dusty old classic and introduces some very endearing new features. It doesn't do the old famous sequences a disservice and brings them to life in live-action in an engaging enough way. I don't ever regard Pinocchio for its songs either but both "When You Wish Upon a Star" and "I've Got No Strings" sound glorious here. What's not to like?

47. Scream
directed by: Matt Bettinelli-Olpin & Tyler Gillett
starring: Melissa Barrera, Mason Gooding, Jenna Ortega, Jack Quaid, Marley Shelton, Courteney Cox, David Arquette, Neve Campbell

What a riot! I loved the whole meta joke about requels. They are the in thing right now so of course Scream should have it’s own version where it takes the piss. Dewey’s unfortunate outcome was very Han Solo.

They really upped the ante on the gore too. Normally Scream tends to be just random mindless thrashing and stabbing but there were some really fun deaths here. Wes Hicks’ slow stab to the side of his neck, eurgh! & the girl who set alight on the hob.

It did a good job of feeling like it had real stakes too after Dewey’s death. I was real worried for Gale & Sidney for a hot minute in the final act. Randy’s niece and nephew are soooo gonna die in the next one. Bring it on!

46. Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
directed by: Akiva Schaffer
starring: John Mulaney, Andy Samberg, KiKi Layne, Will Arnett, Eric Bana, Flula Borg, Dennis Haysbert, Michael Key, Tim Robinson, Seth Rogen, J.K. Simmons

What a surprising success! Heaps of fun and way more enjoyable for adults than it had any right to be. In fact, this is probably a better adult movie than it is a kids movie, lmao.

The cameos are the main selling point but I’m glad they were so inspired and went way beyond the usual Disney back catalogue that you’d expect to see. Ugly Sonic was a real treat for any Twitter user. Even just little references like the Jurassic Park banner falling or E.T. versus Batman.

You can tell it came from such a place of adoration for all things Hollywood and classic Disney. Even the end credits are a massive joy to sit back and watch. I feel like I could watch this 10 times over and still miss plenty of references. I’m not that well versed in old Chip ‘n Dale shows but this was such a love letter for fans.

It made me chuckle what they did with Peter Pan too and he made for a very fun villain. It’s nice to see them poke fun at their own classics too and the character design on him in particular was a real treat. Of course he’d be a washed up child star in real life, hahaha.

45. The Good Nurse
directed by: Tobias Lindholm
starring: Jessica Chastain, Eddie Redmayne, Nnamdi Asomugha, Kim Dickens, Noah Emmerich

One of those films that makes you immediately rush to Wikipedia for the full story. Absolutely bloody insane that this happened for so many years and each hospital just moved on once they'd got rid of Cullen. My jaw was dropped on that line where he says 'they just didn't stop me'.

The whole American healthcare system is so f*cked. Watching Amy have to work night shifts through heart problems just so she can get insurance is almost the scariest thing to happen in this film. The fact a mere consultation cost $900?!?!

Two outstanding actors doing incredible work too. Both really are two of the best working right now. Eddie Redmayne nails that friendly but odd demeanour to begin with and then the transition into the more unhinged side of things in the final act.

Also, Chastain has that perfect teary face when she gets her girls to leave the room. I was worried Amy would have a bad ending in real life so I was glad when she got her own (positive) title card. I was in a spin after seeing there could've been hundreds of victims but we'll never know!!!

44. Notre-Dame on Fire
directed by: Jean-Jacques Annaud
starring: Samuel Labarthe, Jean-Paul Bordes, Mikaël Chirinian

I'm a big fan of travelling and tourism so I remember being really gutted back in 2019 when this was unfurling live on the news. I was even interested in the film before the fire as the tourist groups were going around learning more about the crown of thorns. This movie was therefore right up my street so I was excited to see it despite its limited UK release.

The majority of the film was really gripping, and some of the best moments came from the juxtaposition of real-life footage mixed with the claustrophobic shots of the fire-fighters. The director did a great job of highlighting just how narrow the staircases were and how demanding it was to lug all that heavy firefighting equipment up to the towers. Some devastating moments seeing the spire fall and features melting in front of your eyes.

There was a bit too much focus on the human storylines though which added some unnecessary melodrama. I didn't need to see that little girl leave a candle behind and see it still burning as the final shot of the movie. Those subplots are what brought the movie down a peg. Perhaps I'd have preferred a documentary on the events of the fire instead, with more of a focus on how it spread and how it was eventually stopped.

It's interesting to think that the 2019 fire will be just another plaque in the Notre Dame in another 200 years. Just another part of history. I hope I get to visit Paris again in a few decades time when it has been completely rebuilt. What a gorgeous building!

43. All My Friends Hate Me
directed by: Andrew Gaynord
starring: Tom Stourton, Charly Clive, Georgina Campbell, Antonia Clarke

Not the kind of horror I was expecting from the trailer but there was certainly a sense of looming anxiety throughout. Good at developing that pit in your stomach and wrapped up in a little 90 minute package, this is a solid movie.

I liked that the theme of uneasiness changed between the first half and second half. It begins by filling you with that social anxiety of seeming uncool and the realisation that you've outgrown your friends, and then switches up to total mental health spiralling fear.

It got me good because I was taking everything at face-value at first thinking his friends were total pricks, and then began to over-think things when you got the hint that Pete wasn't 100% mentally well either. It kept things exciting and the gears in my brain were constantly ticking trying to unpack what was going on.

That Harry was insufferable, lmao. I'd be exactly like Pete telling him to f*** right off... and that was before he chased him down with an axe!!

Side note, let's all agree that Tom Stourton is the new hottest hunk in horror.

42. The Black Phone
directed by: Scott Derrickson
starring: Mason Thames, Madeleine McGraw, Jeremy Davies, James Ransone, Ethan Hawke

God, I forgot much I hate watching a good horror because when it’s good it makes you feel so bad, haha. I don’t think my body has ever felt heavier than it did in the scene where Finney attempts to get past the Grabber using the code carved into the wall. I had the worst thought in my head that he’d have missed a digit, or it had been scrubbed off the wall or something and he’d frantically be trying to get it to work whilst the Grabber stirred.

A really solid horror flick though. Finney’s sister was great comedic relief, Ethan Hawke was totally terrifying (that mask he wore was so unsettling with and without the creepy smile on it), and it was good to see a horror leading character actually have a little bit of sense to them. Good on Finney for clobbering Hawke to death with that phone and not just a one and done which gives the opportunity for the villain to brush it off and chase after them – that’s what usually happens, ey.

My one gripe is that the jump scares/zombie kids cheapened the overall package for me a bit. They felt like the ordinary horror elements that felt a bit below a film that was otherwise this good, damnit. Just hearing the other children’s voices through the phone would have made it even more creepy in my opinion, as opposed to the zombie ghost kids that we got.

41. Disenchanted
directed by: Adam Shankman
starring: Amy Adams, Patrick Dempsey, Maya Rudolph, Yvette Nicole Brown, Jayma Mays, Gabriella Baldacchino, Idina Menzel, James Marsden

Sorry but if you didn't enjoy this then you suck because this was soooo much light-hearted fun. Amy Adams slots back into the role so perfectly in the first half and then her descent into wickedness was so camp as well. She was having the time of her life returning to play Giselle one more time and I am personally so glad she did.

There are perhaps one or two too many forgettable soundtrack songs but there are some show-stopping tunes thrown in that make it worthwhile. The song between the two baddies about who's more evil was gloriously over-the-top and I was in my absolute element listening to some of those cheesy lyrics. I liked Idina Menzel's big song as well. What a vocal powerhouse!! It reminded me a bit of Frozen 2's 'Show Yourself' sonically and that was my fave song from that sequel.

I was also creased at the Wandavision-esque plot of it all and Morgan suddenly skipping in singing about how much she loves chores. The 180 on that character in that moment was so unexpected that it made me cackle, lmao.

In addition, I still love the 2D animation elements (it's not often we get to see 2D animation nowadays so it's a blessing when we do) and Patrick Dempsey looking dishy even now.

Yeah sure... it probably does wrap up a bit too cleanly at the very end but it's a Disney movie for goodness sake and it had enough CGI spectacle to be thoroughly entertaining. This will make a great comfort movie double bill alongside Enchanted when I decide to re-watch in a couple of years.

40. Hocus Pocus 2
directed by: Anne Fletcher
starring: Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kathy Najimy, Sam Richardson, Doug Jones, Whitney Peak, Belissa Escobedo, Tony Hale, Hannah Waddingham

What a surprise! Hated the first one but the belated sequel turns out to be a proper treat. Pop this in the same file as Top Gun/Top Gun: Maverick and Ghostbusters/Ghostbusters: Afterlife which both did the same thing, lmao.

Bette Midler continued to be an absolute superstar and they gave her multiple musical numbers!! Disney must've known that one simply wasn't enough. The whole 'One Way or Another' flash mob sequence was right up my street as a musical theatre fan. SJP and Najimy seemed toned down here to a bearable level as well which was nice.

So many of the jokes surrounding the Sanderson Sisters in the 21st century landed perfectly. I loved them in the pharmacy discovering the anti-ageing lotions and the woman locked inside the Amazon Echo, lmao. I creased at them referencing what a virgin actually means when it was such a prominent part of the first film too, haha.

Don't judge a book by its prequel, I guess, because turns out this was super fun and I'm so down for re-watching this. I'll just not do a double-bill.

Re-cap:
40. Hocus Pocus 2
41. Disenchanted
42. The Black Phone
43. All My Friends Hate Me
44. Notre-Dame on Fire
45. The Good Nurse
46. Chip 'N Dale: Rescue Rangers
47. Scream
48. Pinocchio
49. Bones and All

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 12th January 2023, 11:59 AM
Post #40
Group icon

I'm still kinda shook at how much of a surprise 'Chip 'n Dale' is! Lmao. SO much fun! Loved all of the inter promotional references and Ugly Sonic was the best! Lmao! 'Scream' so much lower for you than it is for me though! But I'm not sure we "rate" it too differently. This year was a very solid year for movies overall. But I loved 'Scream' so much and it's my favourite in the franchise since the first one! SOOOOO good!

'Black Phone' was a major surprise for me too. A different kind of horror to what I was expecting, but it worked!

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 08:58 PM