BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Poor Things • 2024, Stars: Emma Stone, Mark Ruffalo, Willem DaFoe
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post 5th January 2024, 11:56 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Released 12th January 2024
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 5th January 2024, 11:59 PM
Post #2
Group icon

I've not got around to seeing this yet as the release date isn't for another week, but a few people have and I've heard nothing but GREAT things about this. Yorgos Lanthimos is one of the most unique directors out there right now. He gave us 'Dogtooth', 'The Lobster', 'The Killing Of The Sacred Deer', 'The Favourite' & now this... which looks to be his wildest movie to date!

I wasn't a fan of 'The Favourite' (despite exceptional performances) and 'The Lobster' might just be one of the most randomly bizarre movies I have ever seen. I really don't know what to expect from this, but I'm always going to rally behind Emma Stone getting every bit of support she can get!

+Quote this post
Linds.
post 12th January 2024, 04:58 PM
Post #3
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,176

I'm considering going to see this over the weekend as Emma Stone is one of those never fails actresses for me and I've heard she's particularly great in this but I am on the fence as I've seen a lot of mixed reviews. I've not read the book but the premise of it sounds really interesting although I didn't get much from the trailer really. I've also heard it's a bit messed up though but in a genuine cause for concern kinda way just with how she has an infants brain but there's a big focus on sex etc?? I've seen people review it saying they were very uncomfortable watching it but then maybe that's the point, it would depend on the context and how it's been executed really as I can definitely understand how there's a fine line there.

ANYWAY has anyone managed to see this yet? Is it worth going to see at the cinema??

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 12th January 2024, 05:43 PM
Post #4
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Film of the year cheeseblock.png Emma serving the best performance of the decade so far cheeseblock.png The actress of our generation cheeseblock.png

QUOTE(Linds. @ Jan 12 2024, 04:58 PM) *
I'm considering going to see this over the weekend as Emma Stone is one of those never fails actresses for me and I've heard she's particularly great in this but I am on the fence as I've seen a lot of mixed reviews. I've not read the book but the premise of it sounds really interesting although I didn't get much from the trailer really. I've also heard it's a bit messed up though but in a genuine cause for concern kinda way just with how she has an infants brain but there's a big focus on sex etc?? I've seen people review it saying they were very uncomfortable watching it but then maybe that's the point, it would depend on the context and how it's been executed really as I can definitely understand how there's a fine line there.

ANYWAY has anyone managed to see this yet? Is it worth going to see at the cinema??

I'd def say it's worth seeing at the cinema, the film is gorgeous and there's quite a few funny moments that are great with an audience! For myself I had zero concerns about the plot in this film as I think it executes what could be a cause-for-concern plot in someone else's hands in a very respectful way. There a lot of sex scenes but imo they don't feel gratuitous and work with the story/character development

+Quote this post
Linds.
post 12th January 2024, 10:46 PM
Post #5
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry

I trust your judgement Sam! Thank you heart.gif

I will report back once I've seen it x

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 13th January 2024, 03:03 AM
Post #6
Group icon

Oh this is absolutely a MUST for the big screen imo. I really liked this a lot. I think it may be a bit *too* out there for me to be ever be completely on board, but I enjoyed it far more than I expected due to it being a Yorgos movie. It's my favourite of the 3 I have seen of his so far and Emma Stone (& Mark Ruffalo) is particularly incredible and holds it all together amazingly. She's definitely the actress of our generation, I'd say. Nothing but hits!

+Quote this post
Linds.
post 13th January 2024, 08:16 PM
Post #7
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry

I'm just out the cinema seeing this and omg it's a film I'm going to be thinking about a lot, I feel like it has so much to unpack

Firstly, to no surprise Emma Stone was incredible, what a challenging role she tackled with absolute perfection and ease, her performance alone is worth watching this for.

The conversation between God and Max is probably the most important part of the film because it clearly sets the intentions of both men, the fact these are the good guys focussed on Bella's growth and independence is so key to how her story could have played out.

Love love love the point of the film being her exploring herself and the world and breaking free from any ownership put on her by men, the pride you genuinely feel for Bella towards the end when she realises what she wants and what makes her happy is exactly the point her story arc had to reach.

I'd seen comments from people online saying it was catering to a demographic it shouldn't have been, that it was creepy etc but people who think that have obviously missed the entire point of the film. Even with Duncan who essentially wanted a woman he could easily control, it didn't really have anything to do with the fact she had an infants brain (he didn't even know that actually) and more to do with how she was very sheltered, naive and ignorant towards a lot of subjects, he saw that as something he could manipulate but as soon as Bella became her own person and be realised he had no control it was over for him.

At the end I did expect her to put Alfie's brain in God since his whole life was about being seen as this monster and dealing with the affects his dad's abuse had on him so being in another body essentially would have given him a second chance but no they went with the goat brain laugh.gif

So yea thank you guys for recommending I see it!! To anyone else on the fence please make the same decision I did and go watch it. It's a beautifully shot film too, definitely one for the big screen if you're able to catch it at the cinema heart.gif

This post has been edited by Linds.: 13th January 2024, 08:35 PM

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 13th January 2024, 11:39 PM
Post #8
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Loved this, probably the best film I've seen from him, doesn't quite have that same anti-Hollywood weirdness of The Lobster, but it's one of the funniest films I've seen in a long time and the type of audascious oddity I really like. I don't normally like sex scenes so it's quite a miracle with how many this had that it kept me engaged!

Emma Stone was absolutely brilliant, as was Mark Ruffalo, and it looked gorgeous with the variety of cinematography and camera styles throughout, I liked that the colour palette reflected how she saw the world and the emotions building. I see how some could find some of the scenes uncomfortable given Bella's mental age, but I think it makes it all the more powerful of how it reflects modern day society and how often women are viewed purely sexually. I've not read the book it's based on so I was expecting more of a Frankenstein-style tale, but it was nice to see the 'monster' turn out happy and be accepted in the end, if a little Hollywood x

+Quote this post
Linds.
post 14th January 2024, 12:07 AM
Post #9
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry

That was my worry with the sex scenes as well but it starts off with her exploring her own body and sexuality naturally as most people tend to do when they hit their teen years, we're shown that her brain is maturing quickly so that would make sense timeline wise. It then goes on to her engaging in relationships with men but on her own free will, it feels like a natural progression and everything is her own decision, there's no coercion, she's very much using it to to empower herself and gets what she wants out of each experience, even in the Paris scenes. It could have been a very different story where she ended up being groomed and taken advantage of but thankfully that didn't happen here, it was very well done on the whole.

This post has been edited by Linds.: 14th January 2024, 12:08 AM

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 14th January 2024, 10:55 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

Film of the year....

This is a masterpiece, elegant, captivating, enchanting and the best performance from Emma Stone, truly loved it, just won the Global Globe recently for the best picture, should sweep up some Oscars. Totally recommend it, and it stays true-full to the novel. And not even 1 bad review.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 15th January 2024, 12:59 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

I’m going to get myself back in to the habit of going to the cinema this year and see this… hoping to catch it one evening this week and really looking forward to it.

Hadn’t realised until reading this thread that it was the same director as The Lobster, I loved that film so this should be totally my thing

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 15th January 2024, 10:08 PM
Post #12
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Emma won the Critics Choice award cheeseblock.png Need her to win her 2nd Oscar for this <3

QUOTE(Linds. @ Jan 13 2024, 08:16 PM) *
I'm just out the cinema seeing this and omg it's a film I'm going to be thinking about a lot, I feel like it has so much to unpack

Firstly, to no surprise Emma Stone was incredible, what a challenging role she tackled with absolute perfection and ease, her performance alone is worth watching this for.

The conversation between God and Max is probably the most important part of the film because it clearly sets the intentions of both men, the fact these are the good guys focussed on Bella's growth and independence is so key to how her story could have played out.

Love love love the point of the film being her exploring herself and the world and breaking free from any ownership put on her by men, the pride you genuinely feel for Bella towards the end when she realises what she wants and what makes her happy is exactly the point her story arc had to reach.

I'd seen comments from people online saying it was catering to a demographic it shouldn't have been, that it was creepy etc but people who think that have obviously missed the entire point of the film. Even with Duncan who essentially wanted a woman he could easily control, it didn't really have anything to do with the fact she had an infants brain (he didn't even know that actually) and more to do with how she was very sheltered, naive and ignorant towards a lot of subjects, he saw that as something he could manipulate but as soon as Bella became her own person and be realised he had no control it was over for him.

At the end I did expect her to put Alfie's brain in God since his whole life was about being seen as this monster and dealing with the affects his dad's abuse had on him so being in another body essentially would have given him a second chance but no they went with the goat brain laugh.gif

So yea thank you guys for recommending I see it!! To anyone else on the fence please make the same decision I did and go watch it. It's a beautifully shot film too, definitely one for the big screen if you're able to catch it at the cinema heart.gif

Yay I'm so so glad you saw it and loved it! heart.gif And agree with literally everything you said <3

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 02:18 PM