BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

80 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Robbie ' bits & pieces'
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Sydney
post Aug 28 2013, 10:22 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,680
Working class/middle class comedy, Malcolm Hardee, Mr Methane, the Macc Lads & singer Robbie Williams

Robbie Williams (left) in the Macc Lads’ Newcy Brown video

Robbie Williams is in the Newcy Brown video,” Mr Methane told me. “I think that was his first taste of the music business. He was a big Macc Lads fan. His dad was – still is – a singer called Pete Conway – a Sinatra type crooner. If you go to an over-50s hotel, he’ll be there singing Spanish Eyes or something.

“Like Amy Winehouse learned off her dad, I guess Robbie Williams learned off his dad about singing but, in the early days, it wasn’t working out for him. Robbie was struggling. I remember his dad sent him down to Stoke railway station for a job. But it was the early 1990s and there was a recession, so they weren’t taking on staff.

“So he went away and, a few months later, he got the gig with Take That. Whether he got it on the basis of being in a Macc Lads video, I wouldn’t know.

“The Newcy Brown video is a segment of a whole bigger video of different tunes. I was in a tune called Mr Methane where I solve all the world’s problems – You ring me up and I fart down the telephone.”

“You’re well known for your ring,” I said.

Mr Methane did not react.

“I sort out German unity,” he continued, “and I tell you with a fart who will win the 2 o’clock at York racecourse. At the time, it wasn’t the high point of my career but, because the Macc Lads have got such a strong fanbase and it’s so cult, people are always telling me: It must have been incredible when you were on tour with the Macc Lads. It must have been fantastic!

“At the time, I just remember we were all very young, so everyone had big strong egos and wanted to be top of the pile.

“I think their downfall was that Oasis took it to the mainstream. Oasis behaved like a real Macc Lads. They were real working class and did the whole rock carry-on, so really the Macc Lads became very tame… And then your rap artists had all these horrible, sexist lyrics contained within the culture of their whole thing. So the Macc Lads weren’t shocking any more.”

So it goes.

http://thejohnfleming.wordpress.com/2013/0...obbie-williams/
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Sydney
post Sep 5 2013, 11:02 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Robbie trying to break America laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney
post Sep 18 2013, 05:17 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Found this

+Quote this post
Sydney
post Sep 23 2013, 08:00 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
She's Back! Lily Allen Records Duet With Robbie Williams In Just 30 Minutes . The mum-of-two is back to the day job after a four year hiatus 23 rd September 2013

Lily Allen has been working hard on a musical comeback, but admits her collaboration with Robbie Williams only took half an hour.

The 'Smile' hit-maker proved she is no longer rusty in the studio following her four year hiatus from music - during which time she welcomed her daughters, 22-month-old Ethel and nine-month-old Marnie with husband Sam Cooper - as she whipped up a track for the former Take That star's new album in just 30 minutes.

She told Britain's Hello! magazine, "Robbie's a really sweet guy. Really humble. I just worked with him. It was really quick, actually - we just met up in the studio and then left. I think it took us half an hour."

Lilly Allen has contributed to Robbie Williams new album (WENN)

As part of her highly-anticipated comeback, Lily had contributed vocals for a cover version of the 1931 classic by Fabian Andre and Wilbur Schwandt, 'Dream a Little Dream'.

The 28-year-old singer has seemingly been itching to get back in the studio as she recently announced she would be releasing her new material under her maiden name after she became addressed as Lily Rose Cooper when she married her husband in 2011

http://www.entertainmentwise.com

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post Sep 24 2013, 08:08 PM
Post #5
Group icon
The Last of the Rock Stars
User: 368
She also duetted on Bongo Bong if I remember correctly sleep.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney
post Sep 28 2013, 10:43 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Radio 1 boss: 'Green Day not good enough to make playlist'

Published Saturday, Sep 28 2013, 16:41

BBC Radio 1 bosses have discussed the music that failed to make the station's playlist.

Music policy director Nigel Harding and head of music George Ergatoudis spoke about their recent decisions on who to leave out, including Robbie Williams, Muse, Noel Gallagher and Green Day.

Harding told Music Week: "I think Noel's music feels more at home on Radio 2."

He also mentioned Green Day's latest album trilogy Uno!, Dos! and Tre!. He said of the band, who recently headlined Reading festival: "The last Green Day project simply wasn't good enough."

On the decision not to play 'Panic Station' by Muse, he said: "Muse are approaching a crossroads - their last single was the first one not playlisted by Radio 1 in a decade. The door remains open to them but we'll have to think carefully about their next album."

When asked why the station would not play Robbie Williams single 'Candy', but would play his Dizzee Rascal collaboration 'Goin' Crazy', Harding explained: "This is all about the age of the artist's primary audience.

"In Robbie's case we believe that his main fan base is comfortably over the age of 30, whereas Dizzee's is clearly much lower."

digitalspy.uk

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post Sep 29 2013, 08:13 PM
Post #7
Group icon
QUOTE(Sydney @ Sep 28 2013, 11:43 PM) *
Radio 1 boss: 'Green Day not good enough to make playlist'
Published Saturday, Sep 28 2013, 16:41

BBC Radio 1 bosses have discussed the music that failed to make the station's playlist.

Music policy director Nigel Harding and head of music George Ergatoudis spoke about their recent decisions on who to leave out, including Robbie Williams, Muse, Noel Gallagher and Green Day.
Harding told Music Week: "I think Noel's music feels more at home on Radio 2."

He also mentioned Green Day's latest album trilogy Uno!, Dos! and Tre!. He said of the band, who recently headlined Reading festival: "The last Green Day project simply wasn't good enough."

On the decision not to play 'Panic Station' by Muse, he said: "Muse are approaching a crossroads - their last single was the first one not playlisted by Radio 1 in a decade. The door remains open to them but we'll have to think carefully about their next album."

When asked why the station would not play Robbie Williams single 'Candy', but would play his Dizzee Rascal collaboration 'Goin' Crazy', Harding explained: "This is all about the age of the artist's primary audience.

"In Robbie's case we believe that his main fan base is comfortably over the age of 30, whereas Dizzee's is clearly much lower."

digitalspy.uk

30 is probably being a bit on the youthful side... laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney
post Sep 30 2013, 07:24 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
DOES THE RADIO 1 PLAYLIST MATTER ANY MORE !!

Green Day and Muse are being given the boot, but who actually cares !!

Last week, the head of music at BBC Radio One, George Ergatoudis stated that recent releases from Green Day just weren’t good enough to make the Radio 1 playlist cut and that Muse are on a fine line as to whether or not they’ll be playlisted ever again.

But when you think that Green Day headlined Reading & Leeds this year and Muse spent the summer selling out stadiums across Europe does it really matter if they don’t make the Radio 1 playlist?

Radio 1 often come under criticism with their choices of what does and doesn’t make the A list, as let’s face it the majority of the time it’s full of utter garbage that SOMEHOW sells a bazillion records. Saying that however, as you look further down the lists – in particular the C list and the In New Music We Trust playlist, you finally stumble across the alternative newcomers that do rely on airplay to help them succeed. If Radio 1 refuse to play the 'older' bands then surely they should use their time to help boost the struggling non-mainstream acts?

Radio 1’s target audience is focused around those between the ages of 14-25 so it’s understandable that they choose to play what they feel is going to appeal to the teeny boppers of today. It’s also not a lie to say that, with the likes of Muse celebrating their 20th anniversary and Noel Gallagher fans having grown up with Oasis in the nineties, the people that support their music are also more than likely to be of an age where listening to Radio 1 makes them want to vomit a little.

Ergatoudis also commented that Noel Gallagher's music is much better suited to BBC Radio 2, which yes, it probably is, but is there really a reason to make that sound like a downgrade? Particularly when you have respected DJ's such as Jo Whiley now broadcasting Radio 2, offering opportunities to bands and artists of all levels and ages. Plus, you don't have to sit and listen to Nick Grimshaw, which is always a bonus.

A good example of how pointless the playlist can be at times, is when Robbie Williams made his comeback late last year with single 'Candy'. The song was denied the Radio 1 playlist, but that actually made it to the top of the charts, giving Robbie his first Number 1 in eight years.

While it's agreeable that Green Day's latest music offerings haven't exactly been satisfactory, does being kicked out of the Radio 1 club show the route for all 'stadium rockers' of the future? Are Kings of Leon, Arctic Monkeys and Biffy Clyro deserving of the same destiny? Does anyone actually still care what Radio 1 think when they can sell out a tour in 10 minutes? Probably not.

Gigwise.com

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post Oct 4 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I haven't listened to Radio 1 in about 20 years so I couldn't care less what's on their playlist laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney
post Oct 9 2013, 05:50 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Jonathan Wilkes ‏@Jonny_Wilkes 8h
“@reid6peter: @Jonny_Wilkes hope your well lad.” Yer good mate , see you soon pal

Peter Reid ‏@reid6peter 8h
@Jonny_Wilkes hope your well lad.

Jonathan Wilkes ‏@Jonny_Wilkes 8h
@reid6peter reidy are you bud ? Soccer aid ???

Jonathan Wilkes
‏@Jonny_Wilkes
“@reid6peter: @Jonny_Wilkes hope your well lad.” Yer good mate , see you soon pal

+Quote this post
Sydney
post Oct 11 2013, 08:30 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Robbie Williams 'gutted' by R1 snub

Pop star Robbie Williams says he is "gutted" that BBC Radio 1 no longer plays his records.

"I'm very ambitious," he told BBC Radio 4's Mastertapes programme. "So when Radio 1 goes and is taken away from you, a huge bit of your arsenal goes."

"It's your main oxygen to get your stuff out there."

Radio 1 failed to put Williams' number one single Candy on their playlist last year, but his recent collaboration with Dizzee Rascal did make it on the air.

The star's new swing album, Swings Both Ways, is unlikely to be a fixture on the station.

Radio 1's breakfast DJ Nick Grimshaw previously said Williams, 39, was "not relevant" to his target audience of 15-29 year olds.

"I liked Take That when I was little, but I'm not little anymore," he told Five news.

"I don't know if he's now for a Radio 1 audience."

The station's head of music has also said rock groups Green Day and Muse may have outgrown the station.

"The last Green Day project simply wasn't good enough," George Ergatoudis told trade magazine Music Week.

Muse, meanwhile "are approaching a crossroads" - their last single was the first one not playlisted by Radio 1 in a decade.

"The door remains open to them but we'll have to think carefully about their next album."

'
Speaking to John Wilson, Williams admitted he was jealous of the younger pop stars who are guaranteed airplay, including One Direction's Harry Styles.

"He's talented, he's good looking. He could have it away," said Williams.

"And I'll be sat here saying 'damn him'.

But, he continued, "everybody who's anybody has been competitive and over-sensitive and a bit silly".

"Look at Paul McCartney, look at Elton John. They're jealous of Justin Timberlake. I'm sure they were jealous of me when I was in my imperial phase."

The Mastertapes series looks at a classic album in depth - in this instance Life Thru A Lens, Williams' debut record.

Released in 1997, the album featured the hit singles Angels and Let Me Entertain You.

In the wide-ranging interview, he discussed how the album was recorded in the depths of the alcohol-fuelled depression that followed his exit from Take That.

Co-writer Guy Chambers recalled how Williams was often "too drunk to make it" to recording sessions.

"We were often trying to get him to do the vocal for Angels," he said. "That went on for weeks."

Williams also revealed that he could no longer take to the stage without a lyric sheet, after forgetting the words to Angels on a live edition of The X Factor in 2009.- Poor Robbie ;D

"It caused a chink in the armour," he admitted.

The third series of Mastertapes will be broadcast on BBC Radio 4 in November.

Other guests include David Crosby, discussing his solo debut If I Could Only Remember My Name, and Soul II Soul, on 1989's influential Club Classics Vol 1.

Edwyn Collins and Natalie Merchant also take part.

Recorded at the BBC's Maida Vale studios, each artist also plays live tracks from the album under discussion.

Mastertapes: Robbie Williams A-Side will be broadcast on Monday, 11 November at 23:00, the B-Side programme will follow on 12 November at 15:30.

By Mark Savage
BBC News entertainment reporter

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post Oct 11 2013, 08:45 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Ah, so that's why he is back in Blighty. Sounds a good programme though. I shall listen. Assuming I can find Radio 4... unsure.gif

+Quote this post
Sparkle
post Oct 13 2013, 08:50 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 518
Question........... unsure.gif is this thread replacing the "news" thread that we have pinned at the top of the page sleep.gif

And as for Robbie and radio one, I think his swing album is more suited to radio 2 and other such radio stations.

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post Oct 13 2013, 08:54 PM
Post #14
Group icon
OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Little Miss Picky! tongue.gif

I have no idea what any of these threads are meant to be. There is no organisation. No clarity. The whole forum is just a mish mash of competing, merging and duplicate topics.

I blame the Mods. It's time they restored some order.

I think his Swing Album is more suited to Radio Uzbekistan. Medium Wave. sleep.gif

+Quote this post
Sparkle
post Oct 13 2013, 08:58 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I'm in a picky mood tongue.gif

Where's Radio Uzbekistan? unsure.gif

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post Oct 13 2013, 09:06 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Milton Keynes sleep.gif

+Quote this post
Sparkle
post Oct 13 2013, 09:07 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Ah........ the home of the concrete cows.

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post Oct 13 2013, 09:23 PM
Post #18
Group icon
I've unpinned the Robbie news thread so it's more noticeable. And closed this one. All news into the news thread please. Unless it's a big story that deserves its own topic. happy.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Sep 3 2018, 05:39 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,135
I am sure we had a Robbie & Take That thread but for the life of me I cannot find it so this will have to do for now unsure.gif

I wonder if Robbie is involved in this unsure.gif

Take That will release new music for their 30th anniversary as they give classic tracks a ‘face lift’ Sarah DeenMonday 3 Sep 2018 12:08 am

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/03/take-that-wi...02/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Sep 21 2018, 08:19 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,135

+Quote this post

80 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:33 AM