BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> American Sniper, One of the most buzzed about movies this year
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
NellyEverySundae
post Jan 11 2015, 03:22 PM
Post #1
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab
User: 20,675
I was quite surprised to see no thread here on this movie so I made one cheer.gif

Based on the autobiography of Chris Kyle, the film depicts Kyle's tour of duty in Iraq and his struggles to be a good father and husband despite his deployment. It has raked in a whopping $2 million in the US from 4 theaters alone, raking in one of the highest grosses in a single theater of all-time and is expected to open wide over there and here next weekend. I LOVE these types of movies heart.gif It's probably one of my most hyped movies this year and so can't wait to see it! Every Year, Bradley never fails to impress me so I have very high expectations from the film!

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jan 11 2015, 06:10 PM
Post #2
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
QUOTE(Nelly. S @ Jan 11 2015, 03:22 PM) *
It has raked in a whopping $2 million in the US from 4 theaters alone, raking in one of the highest grosses in a single theater of all-time and is expected to open wide over there and here next weekend.

It has now made $3 million after today as it took another +500k weekend. It is expanding to +3,200 theatres next week and wouldn't be at all surprised to see this do Lone Survivor numbers which also had a similar release [37.8M] and I think it could pass $40,000,000 opening potentially

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Jan 11 2015, 09:00 PM
Post #3
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
On paper I wouldn't have thought this would be my sort of thing but the trailers make it look really good. I saw a different one in the cinema that was mostly focusing on one scene/shot that he was going to take and it was so gripping!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 16 2015, 03:43 AM
Post #4
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Just saw this. A very, very good film, but that's it. It doesn't strike me as an obvious "Best Picture" contender, well no more so than something like 'Fury'. But I guess with the fact that this focuses on a sniper guy, who died much more recently, it hit home to more people/connected with a lot more people. Both Bradley and Sienna gave brilliant performances and what I loved most about this film was how it showed a lot of the psychological effects, a lot of soldiers have when they're out of war. Which made his family life scenarios have that much more impact and sense of realism to them, but away from that, it's nothing we've not seen done before etc... but it IS a very well made film and definitely worth the watch. It's just not quite "Best Picture" award worthy.

A couple of the scenes I had to look away though! They were too shocking, even for me. But all vital to the story, so I definitely see why the scenes were needed.

+Quote this post
post Jan 17 2015, 05:34 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
'American Sniper' is a poorly written piece of republican propaganda disguised as a knockoff Bigelow film. It's regressive, sexist and racist promoting really negative values of what it is to be a man...Taking your son out shooting is NOT a possitive father-son bonding activity. Also the pleading and celebrating that your first born is a male? How insultingly old fashioned...and don't get me started on referreing to the women as 'our women'. Urgh.

Other than that is was pretty repetitive and one-dimensional as a film. The only reason it's getting Oscar buzz is because Clint Eastwood's name is attached to it.

The Guardian explains why this film is awful in better words than me.

This post has been edited by Joe.: Jan 17 2015, 06:07 PM

+Quote this post
NellyEverySundae
post Jan 17 2015, 08:51 PM
Post #6
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab
User: 20,675
QUOTE(Joe. @ Jan 17 2015, 05:34 PM) *
'American Sniper' is a poorly written piece of republican propaganda disguised as a knockoff Bigelow film. It's regressive, sexist and racist promoting really negative values of what it is to be a man...Taking your son out shooting is NOT a possitive father-son bonding activity. Also the pleading and celebrating that your first born is a male? How insultingly old fashioned...and don't get me started on referreing to the women as 'our women'. Urgh.

Other than that is was pretty repetitive and one-dimensional as a film. The only reason it's getting Oscar buzz is because Clint Eastwood's name is attached to it.

The Guardian explains why this film is awful in better words than me.

I see what you mean but I disagree with that perspective tongue.gif its an autobiography so a lot of this is indeed portrayed in the perspective of the real 'Chris' so of course that would affect the film as a whole. If they omitted his views in the film (sexist and all) then it's not showing the true person who did have these traits. His sexism is an important aspect of the character and how it was influenced upon him by his father who always expected his sons to be masculine and to have traditional family values. I think as a whole it was incredibly well directed, amazingly acted and extremely interesting, raising some really good points on how residents within Iraq were treated with a lot of brutality. Horrific but I think it stays true in most regions with the book and all-in-all was very well executed. The film was a tad too long than it should've been and the ending was not explained very well either but that's it in my complaints.

This post has been edited by Nelly. S: Jan 17 2015, 11:37 PM

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Jan 24 2015, 06:38 PM
Post #7
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jan 16 2015, 03:43 AM) *
Both Bradley and Sienna gave brilliant performances and what I loved most about this film was how it showed a lot of the psychological effects, a lot of soldiers have when they're out of war. Which made his family life scenarios have that much more impact and sense of realism to them, but away from that, it's nothing we've not seen done before etc...

Just seen this and I agree regarding the psychological effects, I found it interesting to see them and how it all affected the family. The America-based scenes were much stronger imo and I enjoyed Sienna. Found the fighting scenes boring though, failing to hold my interest, some of the shooting was uncomfortable to watch too.

Was surprised to see Jonathan Groff pop up, wasn't aware that he had even a minor role.

The last Best Picture nominee that I had to see and I think I ended on the worst.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Feb 22 2015, 04:32 PM
Post #8
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
Loved this. Thought the acting and story was great heart.gif

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post May 18 2015, 02:26 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
"American Sniper" was one of the most hyped films four months ago. Inititally, it was shown at limited theaters on Christmas Day in the USA and it was officially realeased to the public the following month. "American Sniper" managed to receive six nominations for the Oscars, including "Best Director", "Best Adapted Screenplay", "Best Actor", "Best Film Editing", "Best Sound Editing" and "Best Sound Mixing" and was proposed for two categories, "Best Adapted Screenplay" and "Sound" from the Baftas. There were many who did not expect "American Sniper" to win so many nominations from the American Academy Awards although it received very positive reviews.
The film is based on the book "American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in US Military History" of former Marine Chris Kyle. He was considered to be the most deadly sniper in the history of the US Army. So, there were many who questioned why the film was made. Chris Kyle was played by Bradley Cooper, whose his popularity has risen a lot in recent years. Let alone that he was nominated for the third consecutive year for the coveted golden statuette. He interpreted perfectly his role although he had proposed previously this role to Chris Pratt in the Warner Bros. Film studio. Bradley Cooper was also one of the producers. Director of the film is the imperious Clint Eastwood who made the film after the departure of Steven Spielberg from the project. Having seen his most directorial works in the last twelve years such as Mystic, Million Dollar Baby, Changeling, Gran Torino, Invictus, Hereafter and J.Edgar, I strongly believe that he is one of the most charismatic people of his generation! He always manages to touch with his films and some of them are in the list of my most favorite films. However, I wouldn't say that "American Sniper" caused any emotion from me with the story but it was a quite good movie. It had elaborate montage, intricate scenes of war and very loud sound. However, there are some scenes of violence that will surely shock the audience and for this reason the film was heard several times in the main news of my country. I guess that the same happened almost everywhere because of its controversial plot.
"American Sniper" is the most commercial film at the Box Office for 2014! Its success exceeded all expectations at Warner Bros. and "American Sniper" gathered millions of people in the cinema all around the world. Furthermore, it was the most successful movie from the eight nominated Oscar films in the category "Best Picture", having a huge gap from the rest. Besides the support of critics, it had also the support from the audience after it has received a pretty good score on IMDb (7,4). Personally, I found it much better than I expected and I can say that it is one of the most remarkable productions of its kind. Moreover, Clint Eastwood hasn't disappointed me yet.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:37 PM