BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> One Direction Albums Rate
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J❄️hq
post 5th April 2014, 04:20 PM
Post #1
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
Pronouns: he/him
User: 8,674

(Banner made by Calum)

Hi guys! Here we're doing a mini-rate similar to the members' rate, but this time with the three albums. Only one 11 and one 10 is allowed. Maybe some of you will add up your scores for the tracks on each album and take an average, it's up to you, but please no silly decimals (eg. 6.2/10). You're encouraged to post your thoughts about each album to help discussion and make things more interesting. ohmy.gif

xx Up All Night (favourite album track: )
xx Take Me Home (favourite album track: )
xx Midnight Memories (favourite album track: )

Alongside scoring each album, if you could pick out a favourite album track for each one (excluding the singles), we'll see if BuzzJack can come to a consensus on that. biggrin.gif

The deadline is 19th April but it shouldn't take that long. Joseph will calculate the results and Calum will quickly count them down in this thread perhaps with some words about each album (not like there are many albums to count down~).

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 5th April 2014, 04:55 PM
Post #2
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

09.0 Up All Night (favourite album track: Taken)
11.0 Take Me Home (favourite album track: Over Again)
08.0 Midnight Memories (favourite album track: Happily)

Up All Night has a very special place in my heart, absolutely loved it when it came out but missed out on a 10 because there are a few weaker tracks on it, such as I Wish and Tell Me a Lie.

Take Me Home is a pretty fantastic pop album, one of my favourites of recent years <3 Not a single weak track on the main album (deluxe tracks are forgettable though) and it has some REAL gems, such as all three singles, Rock Me, Over Again and They Don't Know About Us.

Midnight Memories was a bit of a step-down I think although it's still fantastic. Highs aren't quite so high, but it's a lot more consistent than Up All Night, I'll give it that.

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 5th April 2014, 06:22 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955

08 Up All Night (Stole My Heart)
11 Take Me Home (They Don't Know About Us)
09 Midnight Memories (Little Black Dress)

I wasn't overly fussed with them during 'Up All Night', I did LOVE 'What Makes You Beautiful' though so gave the album a few spins. It has grown on me a lot over time and I like the FUN it seemed to bring.

'Take Me Home' is fabulous! There's a lot more accessible pop on this album than the other two and there's so many highlights, including of course the phenomenal 'They Don't Know About Us'. wub.gif

I think 'Midnight Memories' is a good progression in their sound. I'd have preferred a few more pop bangers like 'Best Song Ever' on there but I understand the need for artistic growth. It's their most cohesive album by far as well.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 5th April 2014, 07:27 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

09 Up All Night (Stole My Heart)
07 Take Me Home (I Would)
06 Midnight Memories (Little White Lies)

+Quote this post
Stu@SSLarry
post 5th April 2014, 09:14 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Wake up in the morning with the sunlight in my eyes...
User: 20,720

07 Up All Night (Fav track Tell Me a Lie)
11 Take Me Home (Fav track Heart Attack)
10 Midnight Memories (Fav track Does He Know)

Take Me Home is an album of pure pop perfection in my eyes! I can't see them ever topping it!! I just love it sooo much!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 5th April 2014, 09:15 PM
Post #6
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316

07 Up All Night (favourite album track: Taken)
10 Take Me Home (favourite album track: Back For You)
11 Midnight Memories (favourite album track: Little White Lies)

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 6th April 2014, 02:48 AM
Post #7
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

07.0 Up All Night (favourite album track: Stole My Heart)
09.0 Take Me Home (favourite album track: They Don't Know About Us)
09.0 Midnight Memories (favourite album track: Little Black Dress)

Not sure if 0.5 scores are allowed, but if they are then I'd probably have 'Take Me Home' at 08.5, just to show that I slightly favour 'Midnight Memories' over it. happy.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 6th April 2014, 02:59 AM
Post #8
Group icon
nabad

I'm sure .5 marks are allowed (I think that's what Jáhq was indicating when he commented about no silly .2 scores anyway laugh.gif)

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 6th April 2014, 01:22 PM
Post #9
Group icon

QUOTE(J▣hnkm @ Apr 5 2014, 08:27 PM) *
09 Up All Night (Stole My Heart)
07 Take Me Home (Kiss You)
06 Midnight Memories (Best Song Ever)

John could you pick two different songs for Take Me Home and MM please? We're avoiding including singles cause they're a bit too obvious really. Thanks happy.gif (I do agree with those choices though *.*)

+Quote this post
Calum
post 10th April 2014, 12:52 PM
Post #10
Group icon
nabad

More rates please! happy.gif

+Quote this post
Qween
post 10th April 2014, 02:01 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

QUOTE(JosephTheVamps @ Apr 6 2014, 02:22 PM) *
John could you pick two different songs for Take Me Home and MM please? We're avoiding including singles cause they're a bit too obvious really. Thanks happy.gif (I do agree with those choices though *.*)

Oh, ok. I shall TRY.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 10th April 2014, 02:22 PM
Post #12
Group icon
nabad

QUOTE(J▣hnkm @ Apr 5 2014, 08:27 PM) *
07 Take Me Home (I Would)
06 Midnight Memories (Little White Lies)

PERFECT choices *.*

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 11th April 2014, 06:11 PM
Post #13
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

07 Up All Night (Stole My Heart)
09 Take Me Home (I Would)
08 Midnight Memories (Don't Forget Where You Belong)

"Take Me Home" is as close to a perfect pop album as albums can be, for me, but I don't want to give it full marks as it still isn't a perfect album overall laugh.gif (especially with the deluxe tracks bringing it down).

+Quote this post
Calum
post 16th April 2014, 01:17 PM
Post #14
Group icon
nabad

3 days left to rate, hopefully we can get a few more! happy.gif

+Quote this post
Billy.
post 16th April 2014, 01:26 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,095

09 - Up All Night (Stole My Heart)
07 - Take Me Home (I Would)
08 - Midnight Memories (Strong)

+Quote this post
Calum
post 20th April 2014, 12:46 PM
Post #16
Group icon
nabad

+Quote this post
Calum
post 20th April 2014, 01:23 PM
Post #17
Group icon
nabad

Average • 7.875

Highest score(s) • 9 [JosephStyles, Johnkm, billy.]
Lowest score(s) • 7 [Stu@SSLarry, Calum Sandé, Jay, Jáhq]

Favourite album track • 'Stole My Heart' [AdamAloud, Johnkm, Jay, Jáhq, billy.]

Finishing in last place behind 'Take Me Home' and 'Midnight Memories' is the One Direction boys' début collection 'Up All Night'. I can't say I disagree with the overall consensus of Buzzjack considering it's the album that I'm not all that familiar with and I don't really listen to apart from on few occasions where I feel like going back and listening to the song that started it all for our fivesome - 'What Makes You Beautiful' - or the flop that never should have been - 'Gotta Be You'.
The album definitely does excel with its singles. The lead is catchy, a song that later went on to become a worldwide phenomena and the one that secured One Direction their fanbase that has surely become larger than The Beatles' ever was (I have no regrets at all in saying that). The second, 'Gotta Be You', while a flop and majorly criticised by most of the fans, was a mature approach to what was a fun, energetic and bubbly album. The video certainly proved that in many ways, although maybe it was just natural that as they matured and as their music matured with them they would wait to produce mature ballads such as 'You & I' and 'Little Things'?
The third single 'One Thing' was an early dedication to the fans with them featuring here, there and everywhere in the video, and the song itself is just pure pop brilliance. And then there's the debacle about 'More Than This' whether it was a single or whether it wasn't, but turns out it was Australian only. That's a bit of a shame considering most of the fans would consider it a much better single choice than 'Gotta Be You' - it's a shame we never did get a proper video or push for the song. Although from the 'Up All Night Tour', it definitely was a highlight!
There are probably many other songs from the album that could have been considered excellent single choices - I myself would definitely say the title track could have been a big contender; it had the name-drops, the punchy chorus and a very anthemic feel to it. And maybe if they were to go for another ballad, 'I Wish' would have worked, possibly? Whatever the case, this is certainly a strong début for the boys and it's led to what most would consider a perfect pop album and them searching for a new musical direction with their third instalment - more rocky in vibe than its two predecessors. Comment below and let us know if you agree with Buzzjack's choice to have 'Up All Night' place third in the One Direction Albums Rate!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 20th April 2014, 01:24 PM
Post #18
Group icon

SHOULD BE 2ND.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 20th April 2014, 01:55 PM
Post #19
Group icon
nabad

Average • 8.625

Highest score(s) • 11 [Calum Sandé], 10 [Stu@SSLarry]
Lowest score(s) • 6 [Johnkm]

Favourite album track • 'Little White Lies' [Johnkm, Calum Sandé], 'Little Black Dress' [AdamAloud, Jay]

One Direction's latest and third album 'Midnight Memories' just beats 'Up All Night' marginally to second place, and obviously as you can now tell, behind 'Take Me Home' which has been named Buzzjack's favourite One Direction album! Congratulations, but we'll get to that soon. So what exactly makes 'Midnight Memories' so amazing that it comes in before their début which is essentially what started everything off for our boys?
The first single from the album campaign, 'Best Song Ever' is magnificent. Billed as the track that would accompany the boys' feature 3D concert film 'This Is Us', the song had to be something that would leave worldwide audiences demanding more and eagerly awaiting the arrival of the album on 25 November 2013. It did exactly that. With a video that is possibly the only funny thing that James Corden has put pen to paper with and pulled off well ('Gavin & Stacey' is funny, but that's probably because Ruth Jones was heavily involved as his co-writer (I'm going off topic a bit here)), the song could only go from strength to strength. Racking up views even to this day, the video shows the boys in Hollywood being pitched a video idea before they get fed up, go off and get up to mischief (basically just being One Direction, then?). Would it be fair to say this is definitely in my top 3 of One Direction songs? I think it clearly captures everything that One Direction is about as a group, and it's something I believe they shouldn't attempt to replicate at all or recycle into a new song, because it's gorgeous.
The boys continued their campaign with 'Story of My Life', the second single from the album. They performed the song where it needed to be performed and rather amazingly, it got them a wealthy run in the UK singles chart top 10. They achieved cross-over appeal, and they managed to make a video that was both beautiful because family were involved that made it very reminiscent of their childhoods, but also because the theme and the message they aimed to get across just worked beautifully - probably one of their best videos? No matter what they did with this era, all that happened in each of the releases had something about it that said 'this is what makes One Direction amazing and it's why the fans love them as much as they do'.
'Midnight Memories' kind of threw the boys off-track a bit considering it flopped just a tad. Fortunate had it gone top 40. The video was a bit of a camp laugh - I'd love to see if the boys actually do hang out with grandmas in buggies at nights before heading off to a kebab shop and setting off fire extinguishers then hanging around at Tower Bridge before heading home and wondering what the hell happened last night [/vamps]. It's a shame it performed poorly. It's a rocky track that probably was a bit of a risk as a single choice considering their singles have mostly been pop bangers/ballads to this date, but if they don't take risks once in a while what's going to give them the edge? Following 'Midnight Memories' is of course the fourth single 'You & I' - a song that couldn't possibly have gone without a release. It's a fan favourite and the boys themselves consider it one that connects them to the fans. "Not even the gods above can separate the two of us" they say, reaching out to every single one of us (it's a love song as well though so maybe Zayn was thinking more of Perrie? x) The video is all sorts of gorgeous as well. (shameless plug for the 'You & I' thread here!)
But yes, overall the album really is fantastic and acts as a bridge between 'Take Me Home' (it has the perfect pop songs in the form of 'Best Song Ever', 'Does He Know?', 'Little White Lies' and 'Diana', the ballads 'Story of My Life', 'You & I' and 'Half a Heart' as well as the rock-vibed 'Midnight Memories' and 'Little Black Dress') - it's an experimental album on the whole. Finding a sound that works for them and hopefully when we reach November and we'll have the fourth album in our hands, we'll have established exactly what it is One Direction want to do with themselves in terms of creativity and musical output! Agree? Disagree? Comment below!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 20th April 2014, 02:01 PM
Post #20
Group icon

I very much love Midnight Memories but it kinda lacks something that the other two have for me sad.gif

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 06:00 PM