BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Mack's #ThrowbackThursday Re-Up, This week: UB40, Mann/50 Cent, Usher
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mack.
post 30th March 2023, 01:38 PM
Post #1
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

A return of this #ThrowbackThursday for the R&B and Hip-Hop forum, each Thursday we get a flashback into the chart with some of the biggest R&B and Hip-Hop classics.

This Week:

1999: Lauryn Hill- Ex-Factor

Beginning this, we have this from the lead singer of The Fugees, Lauryn Hill which was the second single from her debut solo album The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. This charted in the UK at #5 and become her biggest solo hit in the UK to date. In the US, this reached a peak of #21.

2007: P Diddy ft Keyshia Cole- Last Night

'Last Night' was the third single from P Diddy's album 'Press Play'. This would peak at #14 in the UK and it was more successful in the US when it peaked at #10 in the Hot 100. For Keyshia Cole this would be her biggest hit in the UK.

2008: Akon- Right Now (Na Na Na)

The final song for this week, is from Akon with 'Right Now (Na Na Na)'. This was the lead single from his third studio album 'Freedom'. This would be a Top 10 hit for him in both the UK and the US, peaking respectably at #6 and #8. I remember my friends at high school being obsessed with this song and thinking in the lyric 'make up' was 'make love'. It still sounds great for me.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 30th March 2023, 01:58 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

The P Diddy and Akon songs are good for me.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 30th March 2023, 08:22 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

I like 'Ex-Factor' but it's probably one of my least favourite tracks from that album.

I had completely forgotten about 'Last Night'. I don't even think I realised it was Diddy that made it.

My favourite of the three is definitely 'Right Now (Na Na Na)'. Akon might not have made the most critically acclaimed music but he did make some bangers and this is one of his catchiest.

+Quote this post
danG
post 30th March 2023, 08:31 PM
Post #4
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

I wasn't a fan of any of those three sadly, I'm aware 'Ex Factor' is the most "credible" of the lot but I've always found it boring - Akon would have to be my fave here although he had better

+Quote this post
Jade
post 30th March 2023, 09:56 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

My favourite of that trio is probably 'Last Night'. I think it passed me by at the time but I remember it appearing in Radio 1's One Hit Wonders of the Millennium countdown and thought Diddy appearing not once, but twice was a head scratcher laugh.gif (the other time as Diddy Dirty Money)

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 31st March 2023, 08:50 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Akon's whole discog is pretty much banger after banger (save for his last ever appearance in the UK top 40, worst way to go out ever).

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 6th April 2023, 01:57 PM
Post #7
Group icon

This Week:

1999: Des'ree- You Gotta Be (99 Mix)

The first song for this week, we have an re-release with Des'ree which was first released in 1994. The original version it peaked at #14 in the UK and fared better in the US at #5, But in 1999 it outpeaked its original version of #14, by peaking at #10 in the UK.

The Ford Focus advert which featured the 1995 World Rally Champion the late Colin McRae:

2001: Mya- Case Of The Ex (Whatcha Gonna Do)

'Case of the Ex' was the second single from Mya's second album 'Fear of Flying'. It was first released in the US back in 2000 and would peak at #2 for three conserative weeks. In February 2001, this was released in the UK, and would peak at #3.

2007- Kelis ft Cee-Lo- Lil Star

The final song for this week is from Kelis featuring Cee-Lo with 'Lil Star'. This was the second single from her fourth studio album 'Kelis Was Here'. This would peak at #3 in the UK becoming her highest charting single since 'Millionaire' in 2004.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 6th April 2023, 03:45 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Lil Star vastly underrated track, one of Kelis' best imo (although nothing beats Millionaire <3)

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 6th April 2023, 04:06 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Des’ree and her relentless attempts to get a top 10 hit. Think that was actually the third time she tried with that track so thank god she made it (just about) or we would still be seeing re-releases of it even now

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 6th April 2023, 07:30 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

'Case of the Ex' would be my pick of the three.

I'm not too familiar with the Des'ree track and I was never a fan of the Kelis track at the time.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 10th April 2023, 12:04 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Rob aah

Des'ree and Kelis tracks are both great.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 12th April 2023, 12:41 PM
Post #12
Group icon

This week:

Due to personal reasons, this will be a day earlier:

1997- Janet Jackson- Together Again

The first song for this week, we have Janet Jackson with 'Together Again'. This from her sixth studio album 'The Velvet Hope. This would peak at #4 in the UK and become her biggest selling song here in the UK. In the US this topped the charts for two weeks.

2004- Black Eyed Peas- Hey Mama

'Hey Mama' was the third single from Black Eyed Peas' 2003 album 'Elephunk'. This had additional vocals uncredited by Tippa Trie. This song was used to promote the Garfield: The Movie. This would peak at #6 in the UK. In the US this would peak at #23.

2009- Akon ft Kardinal Offishall & Colby O'Donis- Beautiful

The final song for this week is 'Beautiful' was the third single from Akon's third album 'Freedom'. This featured Kardinal Offishall who also collaborated with Akon on 'Dangerous' the previous year with Kardinal Offishall as the lead artist, this also featured on Colby O'Donis who featured on Lady Gaga's debut single 'Just Dance' which was a UK #1 and US #1 single which Akon co-wrote on and in the music video. 'Beautiful' would peak at #8 in the UK, in the US this would peak at #18.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 12th April 2023, 12:46 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Dangerous > Beautiful but both diet jams.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 12th April 2023, 12:56 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Rob aah

All of those are good especially 'Together Again'!

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 20th April 2023, 01:03 PM
Post #15
Group icon

This Week:

1995- Brownstone- If You Love Me

The first song for this week we have: Brownstone with 'If You Love Me'. This would be the debut single for this American female R&B group. This would peak at #8 in both the UK and the US. For Brownstone this would be their highest charting single.

2009- Tinchy Stryder ft Taio Cruz- Take Me Back

'Take Me Back' was the second single from Tinchy Stryder's second album. This featured Taio Cruz. At the time this would be their highest charting single to date at the time by peaking at #3.

2010- Young Money ft Lloyd- BedRock

The final song for this week is: 'BedRock' was the debut single from Young Money which included Lil Wayne, Gudda Gudda, Nicki Minaj which was her debut single, With vocals also from Tyga and Jae Millz. The chorus was performed by Lloyd. Cameo apperances in this were ZC, Nixo, Birdman, LoLoFoSho, Lil Chuckee, Beverly, Short Dawg, Winston, Shanell, basketball player J R Smith, Mack Maine and Jay Rock. This would peak at #10 in the UK, in the US this would fare better by peaking at #2.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 20th April 2023, 03:04 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Bedrock was a such a mammoth collab looking back (and Gudda). Of course at the time you wouldn't say any one of them bar Lil Wayne were big names.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 21st April 2023, 03:55 PM
Post #17
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Gudda Gudda was integral to 'BedRock', I will tolerate no disrespect x

...grocery bag

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 27th April 2023, 12:58 PM
Post #18
Group icon

This Week:

1999- 2 Pac ft Talent- Changes

The first song for this week is: 2 Pac featuring Talent with 'Changes'. This was released from the late rapper's greatest hits compliation. This would be his highest charting single at the time in the UK by peaking at #3. In the US this peaked at #32. This sampled Bruce Hornsby and The Range's 'The Way It Is'.

2004- Usher ft Lil Jon & Ludacris- Yeah!

'Yeah!' was the first sngle to be released from Usher's fourth studio album 'Confessions'. This featuered rappers Lil Jon and Ludacris. 'Yeah!' would go on to be Usher's most successful ever song by topping both the UK and US. The UK it would stay at #1 for two weeks and become his second UK #1 single after 'You Make Me Wanna' in 1998. In the US, it would be his first US #1 single in the Billboard Hot 100, it would stay at #1 for 12 straight weeks. This argubably is one of my favourite songs from Usher.

2005- The Game ft 50 Cent- Hate It Or Love It

'Hate It Or Love It' was the second single from The Game's debut album 'The Documentary'. For the second time it was another collaboration with 50 Cent after 'How We Do'. This would peak at #4 in the UK, in the US this would fare better by peaking at #2. Mary J Bilge would cover this with her single 'MJB Da MVP'

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 27th April 2023, 01:18 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Changes is such a genius sample usage, a rare example of both original and sample being similar levels of greatness.

Never liked Yeah! at all, so overplayed and always found the synths annoying. Burn was such a better song that year.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 4th May 2023, 02:05 PM
Post #20
Group icon

This Week:

1998- Usher- You Make Me Wanna...

The first song for this week is: Usher- You Make Me Wanna... This would be the first single from Usher's second studio album 'My Way'. This would become his first UK #1, in the US this peaked at #2 where it would stay there for seven consecutive weeks.

2000- Oxide & Neutrino- Bound 4 Da Reload (Casualty)

'Bound 4 Da Reload (Casualty)' would be the debut single from Britsh duo Oxide & Neutrino, later members of So Solid Crew. This sampled the theme tune to the BBC medical drama 'Casualty' and includes a spoken part from the 1998 film Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels which included '"Ah! s**t! I've been shot!/I don't f***ing believe this, could everyone stop getting shot?, This would get to #1 in the UK where it knocked off Fragma's 'Toca's Miracle' off the #1 spot.

2004- Jennifer Lopez- Baby I Love U

'Baby I Love U' was the fourth single from Jennifer Lopez's third studio album 'This Is Me..Then'. This contained an interpolation from the theme of the 1969 film 'Midnight Cowboy. In the UK this would peak at #3 in the UK for her, in the US, this become her lowest charting-single at the time by peaking at #72.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 09:31 PM