BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Solo Spice Careers - General Discussion, Back then... and now! Music and everything else they do...
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
dancinqueen
post 3rd August 2023, 11:30 AM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 95,682

QUOTE(Voodoo @ Aug 2 2023, 10:15 PM) *
I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree.

Melanie, Natalie and Gabrielle have all experienced massive success in the past. They've all sold millions of records as solo artists. They have all released Platinum-certified albums. Each of them has several hits that everyone knows and remembers.

They even had international success in their glory days. Arguably, they are somewhat "respected" in the music industry.

Mel B couldn't land a Top 10/15 album. She doesn't have the fanbase that Melanie and Emma have. That's the reason why LASOM failed to chart. We also know that her Spice individual vinyl was the least popular. So even if she produced 27 variants it wouldn't matter.

Secondly, she couldn't do the festivals that Melanie does. She doesn't have the back catalogue of hits + live credibility that Melanie has. Heck, she doesn't even sing live! Could you see her being invited to play Glasto?

A one time Mighty Hoopla mini-set (a la Lisa Scott Lee) is a different thing. That she could do. But that's it.

This. Perfectly put.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 3rd August 2023, 01:32 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Aug 2 2023, 09:52 PM) *
That's also unfair, Melanie C, Geri and Emma continued to have top 10 singles and albums which went Gold into the later mid 2000s decade too. Melanie was also achieving hits and some decent album sales in Europe at this point too.

Yes there have been other solo girlband members who have had greater and more long lasting success (not sure why Paul McCartney came into it lol) but that doesn't take away from what the girls did achieve solo wise. I mean no other British girlband has been featured solo on 32 top 10 singles?

Pop acts very very rarely last longer than a 5 year mark, the consumer public constantly moves on, the ones that manage to push past to those 10-20-30 years of massive success are truly exceptions to the rule, rather than the rule.

That being said, ALL the girls could be doing what acts like Melanie C, Natalie Imbruglia, Louise, Gabrielle etc etc do, releasing albums under multiple variants for the first week high, performing at festivals and prides and investing in keeping a singing career going on a small scale.

Thats all very fair but I was responding to the comment saying that "No one will ever be like Mel C and Geri again from the other girl groups maybe Cheryl was the last successful one the impact that Geri and Mel C had is deniable " which is franky an exageration and not true at all lol

I wasnt trying to dimish their achivements but fankly lets not say that they had any impact as solo members of girlbands... it's literally always been done and they did nothing new here.

I swear people do too much with their favourite's solo careers. It is ok to admit it has all been mostly pish quality-wise and success wise. Mel C doing an afternoon slot at some random festivals across the UK isn't a show of success. As it has been said here, most all of them would have been able to do that if they wanted, for years now. It shows she and her team are keeping busy and thats great!

And lets not talk about the quality of the music coming from any of them over the past 25 years, cos damn...

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 3rd August 2023, 01:34 PM

+Quote this post
dancinqueen
post 3rd August 2023, 02:35 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Aug 3 2023, 01:32 PM) *
Mel C doing an afternoon slot at some random festivals across the UK isn't a show of success.

Then what it is? She’s been in the industry for almost 30 years. She’s part of the biggest girlband ever.
Also, I suggest you check all her recent appearances. You’d be surprise. The audience was huge and enjoyed her. Audiences are quick to boo someone if they can’t sing, they’re stiff or boring AF.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 3rd August 2023, 02:39 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Aug 3 2023, 02:32 PM) *
Thats all very fair but I was responding to the comment saying that "No one will ever be like Mel C and Geri again from the other girl groups maybe Cheryl was the last successful one the impact that Geri and Mel C had is deniable " which is franky an exageration and not true at all lol

I wasnt trying to dimish their achivements but fankly lets not say that they had any impact as solo members of girlbands... it's literally always been done and they did nothing new here.

To be fair the post isn't exactly inaccurate.

Beyonce is a total exception to the rule as she is a total icon even bigger than even Spice Girls as a group themselves. Otherwise I cannot think of another girlband solo member who has had success on that level from the same era as the girls or after them, and certainly coming after them apart from Cheryl Cole who gave it a good run for a few albums but has also experienced the downturn in success. Little Mix has yet to prove any of them can do it but both Jesy and Leigh-Ann haven't exactly made an impact yet. None of Girls Aloud bar Cheryl had any real success, none of Sugababes apart from perhaps Mutya with minimal, Atomic Kitten, The Saturdays, All Saints, B*Witched, TLC, En Vogue...

In fact no other girlband in history has had all members of the group achieve top 2 singles, they may have struggled to keep the success going (as with 99% of pop acts out there) however they certainly did better as a collective than any other girl group has done (in the UK at least).

The one point I will make is that Cheryl was more successful than any of Spice Girls were solo wise, in terms of record sales, touring and impact for sure.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 3rd August 2023, 02:57 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Aug 3 2023, 03:39 PM) *
To be fair the post isn't exactly inaccurate.

Beyonce is a total exception to the rule as she is a total icon even bigger than even Spice Girls as a group themselves. Otherwise I cannot think of another girlband solo member who has had success on that level from the same era as the girls or after them, and certainly coming after them apart from Cheryl Cole who gave it a good run for a few albums but has also experienced the downturn in success. Little Mix has yet to prove any of them can do it but both Jesy and Leigh-Ann haven't exactly made an impact yet. None of Girls Aloud bar Cheryl had any real success, none of Sugababes apart from perhaps Mutya with minimal, Atomic Kitten, The Saturdays, All Saints, B*Witched, TLC, En Vogue...

In fact no other girlband in history has had all members of the group achieve top 2 singles, they may have struggled to keep the success going (as with 99% of pop acts out there) however they certainly did better as a collective than any other girl group has done (in the UK at least).

The one point I will make is that Cheryl was more successful than any of Spice Girls were solo wise, in terms of record sales, touring and impact for sure.

Diana Ross says hi, for example. Camilla Cabello also, just to talk about the most apparent outside of Beyonce or Kelly Rowland. There have been plenty of girlband members doing success outside of their group across Europe and Asia too, for instance. Again, Cheryl's success eclipsed Mels and Geri's IN THE UK only. OUtside of the UK she is a nobody. The UK isnt the world.

ANYWAY the point of all of this is that the solo Spices should quit their crap solo careers and focus on the group. Anything else is f***ing pointless and boring as we have been these last 25 f***ing years.

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 3rd August 2023, 02:57 PM

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 3rd August 2023, 04:08 PM
Post #46
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Cheryl had some fleeting success outside of the UK/Ireland actually. Top 10s:

Fight for this Love
#1 - Denmark, Norway, Poland
#2 - Netherlands, Sweden
#3 - Switzerland
#4 - Austria, Germany, Hungary
#5 - Italy
#7 - Belgium Wallonia, France

3 Words (single)
#5 - Australia, Hungary
#7 - Italy

Call My Name
#2 - Netherlands

Also the Spice Girls’ main solo success was very UK centric so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to compare them against their UK counterparts and point out that Cheryl reached higher heights than any of them. A #1 debut solo single and #1 debut album that both sold over a million in pure sales (before even taking into account streaming). An achievement! She even did a solo arena tour.

Spice Girls solo UK specific achievements are impressive, all 5 of them individually have something to be proud of. What they did achieve by themselves isn’t really celebrated much (outside of occasional OfficialCharts articles).

Also I really don’t think it’s fair at this stage to underplay Melanie C’s career. The very fact she’s still out there doing what she’s doing is a show of success! Clearly it’s far from Beyoncé. But Melanie’s career is in a very good spot after 25 years. Generally speaking all of them are fortunate to all still be generally well known individually, even if it’s not for music solo careers. There’s many groups with members who are pretty anonymous even in terms of being in a group, let alone away from it.

Circling back to the point that Mel B apparently can’t get a Top 10/15 album, I’d have to say never say never. I mean, she’ll probably never try, but I just think of Mark Owen from Take That. His solo hits are few and far between. His solo albums bombed. He even missed the Top 200 altogether in 2005, just like Mel B. Yet last year he managed a #5 album, that was his first Top 20 album.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 3rd August 2023, 08:24 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

The album chart is in a way now that multi formatting will almost ensure any act a decent or high 1st week position. Mel C didn't suddenly become way more popular releasing Melanie C just her fans purchased 5 or 6 copies not the normal 1 or 2 1st week. It still bombed out the chart 2nd week.

Same with Emma, LIM sold a lot more 1st week than MHP but that was a much healthier time for album sales and she was much more popular in 2006 than 2019. It is just in 2019 the albums market is dead and she has enough loyal fans to buy 4 copies of her album to get a decent chart placing.

If Mel B released an album this year with 3 vinyls, 2 cds and 2 cassettes plus downloads and streaming there is no way she would miss the top 20.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 3rd August 2023, 08:31 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Aug 3 2023, 03:57 PM) *
Diana Ross says hi, for example. Camilla Cabello also, just to talk about the most apparent outside of Beyonce or Kelly Rowland. There have been plenty of girlband members doing success outside of their group across Europe and Asia too, for instance. Again, Cheryl's success eclipsed Mels and Geri's IN THE UK only. OUtside of the UK she is a nobody. The UK isnt the world.

ANYWAY the point of all of this is that the solo Spices should quit their crap solo careers and focus on the group. Anything else is f***ing pointless and boring as we have been these last 25 f***ing years.

Camilla Cabello is a good example, I forgot about her. Diana Ross did not begin in their era by a long stretch though my dear, she is the original Beyonce from 30 years prior. I would also argue Belinda Carlisle from girl bands prior to the 90's/00's decade.

This post has been edited by spiceboy: 3rd August 2023, 08:32 PM

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 4th August 2023, 09:05 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829

Camila, Beyonce and Diana are all American singers. Historically, American artists have been more successful at developing & sustaining a career, since it's easier for them to crack America & cross over internationally. In addition, American record labels have more clout, budget and resources. It's easier for an American artist to crack the UK than it is for a British artist to crack America.

Regarding Cheryl, despite Fight for This Love being a European hit, its parent album only sold enough to be certified in the UK & Ireland only.

This post has been edited by Voodoo: 4th August 2023, 09:07 PM

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post 6th August 2023, 11:31 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,576

It's not that easy for them to set together and make a new album they're living far apart and Mel C is always touring here and there with her solo stuff or as a DJ and Geri is busy now with the new book unlike steps and sugababes

+Quote this post
dancinqueen
post 7th August 2023, 09:54 AM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Blond 2.0 @ Aug 6 2023, 11:31 PM) *
It's not that easy for them to set together and make a new album they're living far apart and Mel C is always touring here and there with her solo stuff or as a DJ and Geri is busy now with the new book unlike steps and sugababes

There’s no plan whatsoever. It’s done. Sign my words: there’s going to be a final project with all 5 involved and then goodbye forever, which makes sense. Each one has different interests (thank God, as they’re individuals just like us).

Melanie C music, Geri books and philanthropy, Victoria fashion, and so forth.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 7th August 2023, 10:14 AM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Blond 2.0 @ Aug 7 2023, 12:31 AM) *

and this is why I dont care for their crap solo projects dry.gif good for them I guess, but what a sad state of affairs we find them in...

+Quote this post
dancinqueen
post 7th August 2023, 04:18 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Aug 7 2023, 10:14 AM) *
and this is why I dont care for their crap solo projects dry.gif good for them I guess, but what a sad state of affairs we find them in...

Crap in your opinion. What if that’s what they want. Melanie C was entertaining the Pride people the other day jumping like crazy, with such energy, singing and owning the stage, like ONLY Mel B - maybe - could do. Why are they supposed to go on tour or release new music again if not all 5 feel the same? Or you want another Geri and Emma sipping tea and barely moving while the other two bring the house down? Not a diss to Emma, nor Geri. Actually, what I’m trying to say is that diapers, books, and DJ sets can still be something to be proud of when you’re doing it on your own and not sharing the spotlight with other 4 individuals. But hey, we’re never pleased with what women do..

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 8th August 2023, 10:56 AM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(dancinqueen @ Aug 7 2023, 05:18 PM) *
Crap in your opinion. What if that’s what they want. Melanie C was entertaining the Pride people the other day jumping like crazy, with such energy, singing and owning the stage, like ONLY Mel B - maybe - could do. Why are they supposed to go on tour or release new music again if not all 5 feel the same? Or you want another Geri and Emma sipping tea and barely moving while the other two bring the house down? Not a diss to Emma, nor Geri. Actually, what I’m trying to say is that diapers, books, and DJ sets can still be something to be proud of when you’re doing it on your own and not sharing the spotlight with other 4 individuals. But hey, we’re never pleased with what women do..

LOL always this argument. I am not forced to enjoy their solo ventures, specially when I find them so middle of the road to crap. They are of course free to do whatever the hell they want to. As a fan of them as a group, I wish they would focus more on the group instead of solo careers. Solo careers that all seem completely meandering and pointless after 25 years of crap - and yes this is my opinion again.

+Quote this post
dancinqueen
post 8th August 2023, 12:38 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Aug 8 2023, 10:56 AM) *
LOL always this argument. I am not forced to enjoy their solo ventures, specially when I find them so middle of the road to crap. They are of course free to do whatever the hell they want to. As a fan of them as a group, I wish they would focus more on the group instead of solo careers. Solo careers that all seem completely meandering and pointless after 25 years of crap - and yes this is my opinion again.

There is no (recording) group. There hasn’t been one since 2007. On the other hand, there are 5 Women who work their ass off doing what they like, and those Women (minus 1) they even found the time to go on tour before Covid happened. If they’re not keen on going on tour now is maybe because out of 5, only 2/3 are fully available. And no, I don’t think their small (but still respectable) solo projects are the reason why they’re not doing it.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 8th August 2023, 04:49 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

And who said otherwise?... lol

They do work hard on their solo work. I could't care less, as it is all crap imo.

+Quote this post
Sacred3
post 8th August 2023, 10:35 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 150,421

I agree their solo stuff is bleak!

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post 9th August 2023, 01:16 AM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Aug 7 2023, 10:14 AM) *

You're not the only one some fans I know they don't care either LOL

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post 9th August 2023, 01:18 AM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

I'm just glad that Melanie C is still something music related

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 9th August 2023, 07:23 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

Their solo careers are rubbish. If it wasn't Melanie C or Emma or Geri would anyone really care about these projects?

You can big up Brighton pride or kids books or all Emma's projects but if any of it was by Claire Richards or Louise I wouldn't care at all because it is all so blah.

The only interesting thing about their solo careers is they are former Spice Girls and the 10 year old me wants them to be happy and keep track of them. But as for the actual projects it is a hard no to pretty much all of it (bar new music).

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 20th May 2024, 11:47 AM