BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Thoughts on 'Love Song' ft. Prince, Like A Prayer
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post 23rd April 2016, 03:42 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

With the tragic news of Prince's passing a few days ago, let us reflect on his collaboration with Madonna for her hugely iconic 'Like A Prayer' album.

The song was recorded at Prince's Studio on Paisley Park; "We were friends and talked about working together, so I went to Minneapolis to write some stuff with him, but the only thing I really dug was 'Love Song' [...]We ended up writing it long-distance, because I had to be in L.A. and he couldn't leave Minneapolis, and quite frankly I couldn't stand Minneapolis. When I went there, it was like 20 degrees below zero, and it was really desolate. I was miserable and I couldn't write or work under those circumstances", Madonna recalled.

Prince also played the guitar on three tracks on the album ('Like A Prayer', 'Keep It Together' and 'Act of Contrition').

What are your thoughts particularly on this song but also on Prince's involvement on the album as a whole?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vibe
post 23rd April 2016, 04:03 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

I wish he was credited for playing guitar on the album .

I like love song, it does take some time to get going though. I wish they worked on an uptempo number together I think they could have made a real 80's jam !!!

Guy Oseary revealed he did plan for them to tour with each other a few years ago. That would have been insane .

+Quote this post
MrIndependent
post 23rd April 2016, 04:59 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 9,520

It's not one of my favourite songs on Like a Prayer and I think it's quite difficult to get into, but the instrumental on the track in particular is sublime. It would've been great if they had performed it live. I've been listening to it a lot in the past few days!

+Quote this post
post 23rd April 2016, 05:03 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

It's never been one that I really liked or paid attention to. but I've listened to it a bit more this week.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 23rd April 2016, 06:20 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

It's absolutely awful, the only true weak spot on Like A Prayer and up until the last decade or so a contender for her very worst track. It's tuneless and I don't like their voices together and the whole thing just comes off as the smug ramblings of two superstars farting out any old shit because people will go for it anyway.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 24th April 2016, 01:34 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

QUOTE(Qween @ Apr 23 2016, 07:20 PM) *
It's absolutely awful, the only true weak spot on Like A Prayer and up until the last decade or so a contender for her very worst track. It's tuneless and I don't like their voices together and the whole thing just comes off as the smug ramblings of two superstars farting out any old shit because people will go for it anyway.

This is pretty much my exact thoughts on the matter (aside from it being "absolutely" awful, although that phrasing would have been pretty apt up to that point). It's a shame that moments like this and the random 'Act of Contrition' spoils what would be a definite 10/10 album.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 25th April 2016, 08:21 PM
Post #7
Group icon
User: 13,007

They are two of my all-time favourite artists but I am not totally keen on this. It's a definite weak point on the album and I wish they could have gone with their strengths abit more rather this quite abstract number.

They're both capable of much, much better.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 1st May 2016, 01:27 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

I've been re-listening to this in attempt to try and appreciate it but I just can't. Just too whiny, dull and repetitive for me (the latter point isn't always a negative but it is in terms of this song when the original melody is that uninteresting). At least it gave us some lyrics that would later be used in 'Hung Up'.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 10:35 PM