BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

> 
8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Top 100 Albums of the Decade, According to Ashford. Full List In First Post.
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
RabbitFurCoat
post 6th November 2009, 07:27 PM
Post #21
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118

QUOTE(Ashford. @ Nov 5 2009, 11:20 PM) *

100| Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights
99 | Jay-Z - The Blueprint
98 | ¡Forward, Russia! - Life Processes
97 | 65daysofstatic - The Fall Of Math
96 | Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster
95 | The Killers - Day & Age
94 | Tokyo Police Club - Elephant Shell
93 | Muse - The Resistance
92 | M.I.A. - Kala
91 | Kasabian - Kasabian

I have half of those, and four of them would appear in my top 100, Muse might. biggrin.gif I should download the Tokyo Police Club album really...
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 6th November 2009, 07:29 PM
Post #22
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

QUOTE(Ashford. @ Nov 6 2009, 06:10 PM) *

90 | Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
89 | Paramore - Brand New Eyes
88 | Hundred Reasons - Kill Your Own
87 | Kong - Snake Magnet
86 | The Libertines - Up The Bracket
85 | The Sound Of Animals Fighting - The Tiger And The Duke
84 | Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
83 | Metric - Grow Up And Blow Away
82 | Dashboard Confessional - The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most
81 | Brand New - Your Favourite Weapon

I've only heard three of these, Libs, Yeahs, Sufjan and all three are great. I'm not sure any of the others would interest me tbh, although I don't know Kong or The Sound of Animals Fighting.

+Quote this post
Ashford.
post 6th November 2009, 07:54 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 7,426

QUOTE(Mr Self Destruct @ Nov 6 2009, 06:51 PM) *
YOU OFFICALLY WIN AT LIFE FOR HAVING KILL YOUR OWN IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

like srsly as lame as it sounds you>everyone else on this forum just for the simple fact you like Hundred Reasons.
also UTB wub.gif you should visit out Libertines forum sometime.

Thanks, they hold good memories for me, it could have been higher aswell maybe should have been but oh well.

I thought that was pretty obvious anyway but thanks for finally saying it thumbup.gif

+Quote this post
Ashford.
post 6th November 2009, 07:59 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(RabbitFurCoat @ Nov 6 2009, 07:27 PM) *
I have half of those, and four of them would appear in my top 100, Muse might. biggrin.gif I should download the Tokyo Police Club album really...

Good to here that was a successful ten. It is nice and short but it is a bit samey, I got hooked on it for a short spell laugh.gif

QUOTE(RabbitFurCoat @ Nov 6 2009, 07:29 PM) *
I've only heard three of these, Libs, Yeahs, Sufjan and all three are great. I'm not sure any of the others would interest me tbh, although I don't know Kong or The Sound of Animals Fighting.

Yeh I think the others are a bit out of your taste zone, Metric are great though.

+Quote this post
jonny
post 6th November 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #25
Group icon
i would beg to disagree but begging disagrees with me
User: 3,646

92 | M.I.A. - Kala

Suprised to see how low 'Day and Age' is considering how much you liked it. Hope to see Frightened Rabbit in their later on. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Ashford.
post 6th November 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Jonny @ Nov 6 2009, 10:42 PM) *
92 | M.I.A. - Kala

Suprised to see how low 'Day and Age' is considering how much you liked it. Hope to see Frightened Rabbit in their later on. biggrin.gif

It is always the same with The Killers, I listen alot and love them for a short period and then go off them for a while. Maybe you will smile.gif

+Quote this post
post 7th November 2009, 01:04 AM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,513

Sufjan being that low is criminal. sad.gif Yeah Yeah Yeahs. <3

I expect 'The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me' to be quite high then, as Your Favorite Weapon is $h!t imo LOL. Devil is my emo guilty pleasure. <3 Beautiful.

+Quote this post
Ashford.
post 7th November 2009, 01:07 AM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Medicated Soap @ Nov 7 2009, 01:04 AM) *
Sufjan being that low is criminal. sad.gif Yeah Yeah Yeahs. <3

I expect 'The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me' to be quite high then, as Your Favorite Weapon is $h!t imo LOL. Devil is my emo guilty pleasure. <3 Beautiful.

biggrin.gif

That is all.

+Quote this post
Rich*
post 7th November 2009, 11:45 AM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 5,212

100| Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights - Very good, prefer 'Our Love To Admire' though
99 | Jay-Z - The Blueprint - Best guy ever
98 | ¡Forward, Russia! - Life Processes - Good but not a patch on their debut
97 | 65daysofstatic - The Fall Of Math - Not heard but I like the select song or two I've heard of theirs
96 | Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster - Wasn't keen on their debut, their follow up was far superior in my opinion. I am guessing it'll appear later?
95 | The Killers - Day & Age - Good album but something's missing I feel to make it great
94 | Tokyo Police Club - Elephant Shell - Don't think I've heard it in full but 'Tesselate' wasn't bad
93 | Muse - The Resistance - Adore this, such a grower. Just love them so much
92 | M.I.A. - Kala - Went off her around the time she got really overplayed and never got back into her
91 | Kasabian - Kasabian - Superb debut, will be high for me I'd imagine

90 | Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz! - Very good, also enjoyed them at Leeds 09'
89 | Paramore - Brand New Eyes - Superb, brilliant album
88 | Hundred Reasons - Kill Your Own - Not heard in full
87 | Kong - Snake Magnet - Not heard
86 | The Libertines - Up The Bracket - Excellent
85 | The Sound Of Animals Fighting - The Tiger And The Duke - Not heard
84 | Sufjan Stevens - Illinois - Not heard
83 | Metric - Grow Up And Blow Away - Not heard
82 | Dashboard Confessional - The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most - Not heard
81 | Brand New - Your Favourite Weapon - Not heard in full

+Quote this post
Ashford.
post 7th November 2009, 11:53 AM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Rich* @ Nov 7 2009, 11:45 AM) *
100| Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights - Very good, prefer 'Our Love To Admire' though
99 | Jay-Z - The Blueprint - Best guy ever
98 | ¡Forward, Russia! - Life Processes - Good but not a patch on their debut
97 | 65daysofstatic - The Fall Of Math - Not heard but I like the select song or two I've heard of theirs
96 | Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster - Wasn't keen on their debut, their follow up was far superior in my opinion. I am guessing it'll appear later?
95 | The Killers - Day & Age - Good album but something's missing I feel to make it great
94 | Tokyo Police Club - Elephant Shell - Don't think I've heard it in full but 'Tesselate' wasn't bad
93 | Muse - The Resistance - Adore this, such a grower. Just love them so much
92 | M.I.A. - Kala - Went off her around the time she got really overplayed and never got back into her
91 | Kasabian - Kasabian - Superb debut, will be high for me I'd imagine

90 | Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz! - Very good, also enjoyed them at Leeds 09'
89 | Paramore - Brand New Eyes - Superb, brilliant album
88 | Hundred Reasons - Kill Your Own - Not heard in full
87 | Kong - Snake Magnet - Not heard
86 | The Libertines - Up The Bracket - Excellent
85 | The Sound Of Animals Fighting - The Tiger And The Duke - Not heard
84 | Sufjan Stevens - Illinois - Not heard
83 | Metric - Grow Up And Blow Away - Not heard
82 | Dashboard Confessional - The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most - Not heard
81 | Brand New - Your Favourite Weapon - Not heard in full

I agree about Day & Age. You and your Muse rolleyes.gif

Well it was just Paper Planes that got overplayed really, still a fantastic album I think. Not sure whether you would like any of the not heard ones alot, you might think a couple are ok though.

+Quote this post
Ashford.
post 7th November 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

80 | Stars - Nightsongs
79 | The Fall Of Troy - Doppelgänger
78 | Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way
77 | Tenacious D - Tenacious D
76 | Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
75 | Coldplay - Parachutes
74 | Explosions In The Sky - Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever
73 | The Cribs - Mens Needs, Womens Needs, Whatever
72 | Tubelord - Our First American Friends
71 | Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger

Stars kick us off then with their first album 'Nightsongs' which is an album full of quality with a couple of lesser tracks, the quality however makes up for it, with tracks like the wonderful 'Going, Going, Gone' featuring Emily Haines. Now comes an album from The Fall Of Troy that I adored at one point but as my music tastes have developed it has lost that certain spark for me, it is however a great album still and merits it's place over the course of the decade. Red Hot Chili Peppers now with their third best album and, despite being a long way from being the quality of 'Californication' and 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik', it is still a good effort that unfortunately weakens towards the end. The superb debut from the comedy duo of Jack Black and Kyle Gass, Tenacious D, from the beginning of the decade is next and depsite being one of my first album purchases it has stuck with me and blends some hilarious comedy and cracking tunes. In contrast now an album from last year then, the widely loved Vampire Weekend with their self-titled debut, it is a pleasure to listen to and I very much look forward to 'Contra'. Another debut now from the now huge Coldplay, 'Parachutes' remains my favourite album of theirs. Next a critcally acclaimed album from instrumental 4-piece Explosions In The Sky, they make a truly spectacular, cinematic sound and this album shows that, and it is not even their best. The Cribs truly upped their game with this album, it is unfortunate that they haven't been able to match it with their latest effort, my favourite off of this album is 'Be Safe' which you can see below. A very new album next from Tubelord although I have known half the material on it for a long time, it didn't quite live up to the potential of their EPsand the reworkings of the songs from said EPs don't match up to the originals although it is still a veyr enjoyable listen. Finally then, Maximo Park with their finest work to date, 'A Certain Trigger' holds the majority of my favourite songs of theirs including 'Apply Some Pressure' and 'Graffiti'.

This post has been edited by Ashford.: 10th November 2009, 09:14 PM

+Quote this post
Chris.
post 7th November 2009, 06:22 PM
Post #32
Group icon
Everything goes numb
User: 4,561

QUOTE(Ashford. @ Nov 7 2009, 06:17 PM) *
80 | Stars - Nightsongs
74 | Explosions In The Sky - Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever

GOTTA LOVE THE MOTHERf***ING D!

cribs album also good, but i perfer The New Fellas.

keep meaning to listen to Explosions in the Sky.

+Quote this post
Ashford.
post 7th November 2009, 08:58 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

70 | Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
69 | TV On The Radio - Dear Science
68 | Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness
67 | Shoes and Socks Off - From the Muddy Banks of Melitzer
66 | Dashboard Confessional - A Mark, A Mission, A Brand, A Scar
65 | Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends
64 | Jay-Z - The Black Album
63 | Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight
62 | White Lies - To Lose My Life
61 | Stars - In Our Bedroom After The War

The standard is getting better now I think, Arcade Fire start off this ten with their second album which depsite some amazing moments (see Intervention and No Cars Go) doesn't quite live up to their debut. Another critically acclaimed band now in TV On The Radio, I started listening to these in 2006 but it was just random songs I'd downloaded so this was the first album of theirs I really got into and it is marvellous. Coheed and Cambria are a band that won't appeal to everyone but I think this album released in 2005 is an incredibly interesting listen and I love their unique style, despite the pretentiously long title. Next a rather recent discovery from this year Shoes and Socks Off who is the former lead singer of Meet Me In St. Louis, a legendary UK post-hardcore band, doing his own thing. This first album released last year was recorded in a day in his bedroom and brings his unique vocal styling and lyrical talent to an acoustic setting and it spawns some genius moments. Dashboard Confessional make their second and final entry with an album that has an amazingly strong first half with songs like 'Hands Down'. In a similar vein come Taking Back Sunday at #65 with their defining album and by far their best, it is a classic album in the 'scene' that it's in which is a status that it deserves. Jay-Z next with his best album, he really went badass in this one which is proven by '99 Problems'. An album that came 3rd in my Year-End chart last year at #63, Frightened Rabbit have the potential to be massive but their songs are too good for that clearly as they do without the cheesy, MOR-ness of their contempories, a fantastic album that has hardly any weak points. White Lies next, they were the sound of 2008 for me and this came out at the start of 2009 and I loved it for a couple of months and while my love for them has waned recently this album is a powerhouse and has some astonishing tracks and again, hardly any weak points. A second entry from Stars caps us off with #61, their most recent full album it is perhaps more mainstream that others but that extra slice of poppy-ness really works and produces an album packed with great songs.

+Quote this post
Ashford.
post 8th November 2009, 06:57 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Flop thread sad.gif

+Quote this post
Ashford.
post 8th November 2009, 06:57 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

60 | The Libertines - The Libertines
59 | Blakfish - Champions
58 | Circa Survive - On Letting Go
57 | Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
56 | Biffy Clyro - Blackened Sky
55 | Muse - Black Holes & Revelations
54 | Manchester Orchestra - Mean Everything To Nothing
53 | Frank Turner - Poetry Of The Deed
52 | Thrice - Vheissu
51 | Meet Me In St. Louis - Variations On Swing

The Libertines with my favourite album of theirs, favourite track is 'What Katie Did'. Next an album from Blakfish who went to my school, I first saw them at a gig in Cromwell Hall when they were in I think Year 10, so maybe it is a slightly biased choice but I really do think it is a great album and I love the whole scene they're in for the most part, favourite track is 'Ringo Starr, 2nd Best Drummer In the Beatles'. Circa Survive next with their inferior but still very good 2nd album, favourite track is 'The Difference Between Medicine and Poison Is In the Dose'. Arctic Monkeys then with a very solid album that doesn't really have any weak points, however it marked the first signs of change away from their first which ain't good, favoutire track is 'Brianstorm'. BIFFY CLYRO USED TO BE GOOD, this is a fact it really is, so good. Favourite track is 'Joydiscovery.Invention'. Next Muse with their 2nd entry of 4, this album grew on me over time, favourite track 'Map of the Problematique'. A band who I discovered in 2006 now Manchester Orchestra, this 2nd album had a lot to live up to and just fell short but still went further than I thought it would, favourite track would be 'Pride'. Next a guy who I only discovered this year through a friend, he is truly magnificent and this newest effort really lives up to his previous material, Frank Turner, favourite track 'Live Fast Die Old'. First entry now from a band who are a bit hit and miss for me, this was the first album I heard by them and is definitely a hit, it's Thrice and my favourite track from it is 'Red Sky'. Now a legendary post-hardcore band who basically spawned the whole scene Blakfish are in, Meet Me In St. Louis who have now split up with their only album, fantastic and my fave track is 'All We Need Is a Little Energon and a Lot of Luck'.

+Quote this post
Chris.
post 8th November 2009, 08:02 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Everything goes numb
User: 4,561

QUOTE(Ashford. @ Nov 7 2009, 08:58 PM) *
68 | Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness

Black album wub.gif

I also well like that TBS album, they really arent my sort of band but I do like a lot of tracks off that album.

QUOTE(Ashford. @ Nov 8 2009, 06:57 PM) *
60 | The Libertines - The Libertines
59 | Blakfish - Champions
58 | Circa Survive - On Letting Go
57 | Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
56 | Biffy Clyro - Blackened Sky
55 | Muse - Black Holes & Revelations
54 | Manchester Orchestra - Mean Everything To Nothing
53 | Frank Turner - Poetry Of The Deed
52 | Thrice - Vheissu
51 | Meet Me In St. Louis - Variations On Swing

Libertines wub.gif although I perfer UTB if i'm honest, but i'd still give The Libertines 10/10 such a great act, Music When The Lights Go Out wub.gif

Blakfish is a great album, maybe best debut this year? was a good find for me.

FWN is my least fav AM's album but i still like it lots.

Blackened Sky would probaly make my best of decades if they didnt ruin themseleves, again some brilliant tracks, 57, justboy, joydiscoveryinvention, hero management

Poetry of the Deed is good but its not that sunk in yet I think I perfer his other albums, although maybe you do to? maybe we'll see. talking of FT i was watching his new tour diary yesterday and my old drama teacher was in it, was a bit random seeing him in FT's tour diary, although he is mates with him and is directing his new video and directed the Long Live The Queen video, so not that random lol.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 8th November 2009, 08:06 PM
Post #37
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

QUOTE(Ashford. @ Nov 7 2009, 06:17 PM) *
80 | Stars - Nightsongs

I own half of these, and they're of varying quality. I got caught up in Tenacious D hype but they really are dreadful.

+Quote this post
Ashford.
post 8th November 2009, 08:08 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Mr Self Destruct @ Nov 8 2009, 08:02 PM) *
Black album wub.gif

I also well like that TBS album, they really arent my sort of band but I do like a lot of tracks off that album.
Libertines wub.gif although I perfer UTB if i'm honest, but i'd still give The Libertines 10/10 such a great act, Music When The Lights Go Out wub.gif

Blakfish is a great album, maybe best debut this year? was a good find for me.

FWN is my least fav AM's album but i still like it lots.

Blackened Sky would probaly make my best of decades if they didnt ruin themseleves, again some brilliant tracks, 57, justboy, joydiscoveryinvention, hero management

Poetry of the Deed is good but its not that sunk in yet I think I perfer his other albums, although maybe you do to? maybe we'll see. talking of FT i was watching his new tour diary yesterday and my old drama teacher was in it, was a bit random seeing him in FT's tour diary, although he is mates with him and is directing his new video and directed the Long Live The Queen video, so not that random lol.

Yes I think it is the best debut this year.

Maybe smile.gif WOAH! Which guy was he? Was he Cosmo? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Ashford.: 8th November 2009, 08:09 PM

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 8th November 2009, 08:08 PM
Post #39
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel

QUOTE(Ashford. @ Nov 7 2009, 08:58 PM) *

I've only heard three of these, although I do like what I've heard of Frightened Rabbit. I'm shocked that I probably like 'To Lose My Life' more than you do...

+Quote this post
Ashford.
post 8th November 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(RabbitFurCoat @ Nov 8 2009, 08:06 PM) *
I own half of these, and they're of varying quality. I got caught up in Tenacious D hype but they really are dreadful.

No sad.gif

QUOTE(RabbitFurCoat @ Nov 8 2009, 08:08 PM) *
I've only heard three of these, although I do like what I've heard of Frightened Rabbit. I'm shocked that I probably like 'To Lose My Life' more than you do...

Wow really? I am shocked too ohmy.gif It is very good, it was maybe my own fault for overplaying it.

+Quote this post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 11th June 2024, 07:09 PM