BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Oscars 2018: Best Picture, A closer look...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post Jan 24 2018, 09:30 AM
Post #1
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Hello! The in-depth Oscars threads from last year have returned so let's kick things off with Best Picture!

BEST PICTURE

The nominees are:
CALL ME BY YOUR NAME
DARKEST HOUR
DUNKIRK
GET OUT
LADY BIRD
PHANTOM THREAD
THE POST
THE SHAPE OF WATER
THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI

What do you think will win? Who would you like to win? How many of these have you seen so far? What movies are you sad about missing the cut? Discuss anything you like!!

Here are the latest odds too (with PaddyPower) just to see how things are likely to pan out:
Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing Missouri 10/11
The Shape of Water 6/5
Lady Bird 10/1
Get Out 20/1
Dunkirk 25/1
The Post 33/1
Call Me By Your Name 40/1
Darkest Hour 66/1
Phantom Thread 80/1

Other nominees at major awards shows:
Golden Globes - Drama
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Call Me by Your Name
Dunkirk
The Post
The Shape of Water

Golden Globes - Comedy/Musical
Lady Bird
The Disaster Artist
Get Out
The Greatest Showman
I, Tonya

BAFTA - Best Film
Call Me By Your Name
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water

SAG Awards - Best Ensemble
The Big Sick
Get Out
Lady Bird
Mudbound
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Jan 28 2018, 08:10 PM
Post #2
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
Currently seen 6/9 of these. Very excited to see The Shape of Water and Lady Bird but absolutely dreading Phantom Thread, the trailer just looks so dull to me.

Here's how I'd rank them:
1. Call Me By Your Name
2. Get Out
3. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
4. The Post
5. Darkest Hour
6. Dunkirk

I think I'm predicting a Shape of Water win now after how beloved it was by the Academy and the fact that Three Billboards got a director snub. It's definitely between these two anyway in my opinion.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 4 2018, 06:49 PM
Post #3
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
1. The shape of water
2. Lady bed
3. Three billboards outside ebbing, Missouri
4. Dunkirk
5. Get out
6. Phantom thread
7. Darkest hour
8. Call me by your name
9. The post

Another very strong year, not as strong as last year though! It feels so weird that my favourites all actually align with the academy for once 😂😂 my top 5 are all up there with my favourites of the year, phantom is 10/10, darkest hour is 9.5/10 (both of these were so much stronger than I'd expected), CMBYN is 9/10 and the post is 7.5/10

I'm still gutted the post got in, it was really just so meh. I would def replace that with the Florida Project and add a 10th spot for the Big Sick and probably replace call me by your name wth I Tonya. Florida/Big Sick would both be my faves in this line up and I Tonya would be top 3 minimum!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Mar 4 2018, 08:58 PM
Post #4
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
My final ranking of the nominees:

01. Get Out
02. Dunkirk
03. The Shape of Water
04. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
05. Lady Bird
06. Phantom Thread
07. Call Me By Your Name
-big gap-
08. Darkest Hour
09. The Post

It's a great selection, better than last years definitely. Get Out and Dunkirk were some of my favourites of last year so it's a little hard to unseat them, but Shape... and Billboards... are two very worthy favourites and I'd be happy with either winning, I appreciated all of the others too - Lady Bird was a refreshingly lightweight, amusing addition with a very realistic and fresh take on it's oft told story, Phantom Thread was wayyy better than I expected, elegantly and beautifully crafted and some really unexpected sadistic humour too especially with the final twist and Call Me By Your Name had a fantastic soundtrack, aesthetic and chemistry which made up for the sometimes slow narrative (I would easily give the Best Actor nom to Timothee Chalamet even if there's no chance of that happening).

I had reservations about the bottom 2 and they did prove to be right. They just seem like generic, Oscar bait with stories told many times before and better & predictable narratives, Darkest Hour at least had Gary Oldman's performance to help out, but Hanks & Streep have done much better, I literally could not think of anything remarkable about The Post. Hopefully it wins nothing tonight.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:49 PM