BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Light Years ● album discussion, 7th album ● 2000
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
pippa
post May 13 2020, 07:43 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
Disco Down potentially had more appeal than Please Stay.
I think Disco Down would have complimented both the Christmas market and Santa Baby.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post May 13 2020, 08:23 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
It's incredible how much santa baby went onto to sell, are its sales figures inclusive of please stay or kept separate?

+Quote this post
pippa
post May 14 2020, 01:59 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
They have to be separate due to downloads and streaming having both available as separate tracks.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post May 15 2020, 10:14 AM
Post #24
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
I think in hindsight I would have released 'Disco Down' instead of 'Please Stay' (or even just gone with 'Your Disco Needs You'). 'Please Stay' has gone on to become one of her most forgotten/non-entity singles.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post May 15 2020, 10:26 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155
‘Your Disco Needs You’ the potential platinum mega selling joy that never was drama.gif Will never get over this not being released and the way ‘The One’ was handled - two songs that could have been HUGE.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post May 15 2020, 10:35 AM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I love your disco needs you but I'm never fully sure if it would have been a good single choice. The One however is her biggest missed opportunity of a huge hit because of how it was handled.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post May 15 2020, 02:42 PM
Post #27
Group icon
User: 13,007
Returned to this today, it's one of my favourites from her. It's so camp in places but still in a mature and sophisticated way. 'So Now Goodbye', 'Please Stay' and 'Butterfly' are particular highlights of mine with 'On A Night Like This' one of my all-times faves from her wub.gif A great listen and pretty consistent in terms of quality with hardly any duds!

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post May 15 2020, 02:45 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Its her most consistent album for me, it is camp in parts and your disco needs you is kylie at her peak campness, but the album is mature in other places. When kylie toured the album the touring budget wasn't as high as what came later so some of the some missed out on greater staging.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 15 2020, 03:59 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
QUOTE(Hauspital* @ May 15 2020, 03:42 PM) *
Returned to this today, it's one of my favourites from her. It's so camp in places but still in a mature and sophisticated way. 'So Now Goodbye', 'Please Stay' and 'Butterfly' are particular highlights of mine with 'On A Night Like This' one of my all-times faves from her wub.gif A great listen and pretty consistent in terms of quality with hardly any duds!

'On a Night Like This' is one of my favourites too! wub.gif Pleased you like the album - this and Fever would definitely be my recommendations as a starting point for fans wanting to delve into her back catalogue. It's explosive, feel-good summer pop pretty much start to finish! I remember playing this all the time as a kid, pretty much every car journey I would want it on and I would create little music videos in my head for each of the songs! The songs are very expressive and have lots of vivid imagery. Definitely holds a special place in my heart. heart.gif

What are your thoughts on 'Bittersweet Goodbye' and its placing/inclusion on the album? Seems to be a big topic of debate among Kylie fans.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post May 15 2020, 06:57 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
There are songs on here like 'Kookachoo' and 'Loveboat' that I probably wouldn't dream of listening to of their own accord, but when you play the album through they really just make the whole concept of it.

It's definitely my favourite Kylie album. Pure, unashamed camp fun and the perfecr pre-going out soundtrack.

+Quote this post
pippa
post May 15 2020, 08:01 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Kookachoo is the weakest the album offers but the multitude of so many other great songs help cover it up.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post May 15 2020, 08:13 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
ya that and loveboat are the ones i enjoy the least but they fit into the album at the same time.

+Quote this post
pippa
post May 15 2020, 08:19 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
An album of such high quality can allow for one or two semi weak links to fit in.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post May 15 2020, 08:51 PM
Post #34
Group icon
User: 13,007
QUOTE(Liam.k. @ May 15 2020, 04:59 PM) *
'On a Night Like This' is one of my favourites too! wub.gif Pleased you like the album - this and Fever would definitely be my recommendations as a starting point for fans wanting to delve into her back catalogue. It's explosive, feel-good summer pop pretty much start to finish! I remember playing this all the time as a kid, pretty much every car journey I would want it on and I would create little music videos in my head for each of the songs! The songs are very expressive and have lots of vivid imagery. Definitely holds a special place in my heart. heart.gif

What are your thoughts on 'Bittersweet Goodbye' and its placing/inclusion on the album? Seems to be a big topic of debate among Kylie fans.

I think 'Bittersweet Goodbye' would've worked best as an album closer (although 'Light Years' does that very well too thinking.gif). It's definitely quite jarring in the way the album is structured at the moment, but I suppose it's a bit of respite and a breather before the final push in the album and the banging 'Butterfly' which emerges from the cocoon of 'Bittersweet Goodbye' so it's not a disastrous placing by any means.

I think this could be my second favourite album from her after Fever! But there are a few albums I need to give more time too so that is perhaps a premature comment x

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post May 15 2020, 09:07 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
No I think light years was the ideal closing song, it closes the album on a complete high and makes you go back to listen to the album again and again.

+Quote this post
pippa
post May 15 2020, 09:46 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Bittersweet Goodbye would not be a suitable representation to close the album.
Light Years is largely fast and uplifting and Light Years closes in line with that.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 15 2020, 09:50 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
QUOTE(Hauspital* @ May 15 2020, 09:51 PM) *
I think 'Bittersweet Goodbye' would've worked best as an album closer (although 'Light Years' does that very well too thinking.gif). It's definitely quite jarring in the way the album is structured at the moment, but I suppose it's a bit of respite and a breather before the final push in the album and the banging 'Butterfly' which emerges from the cocoon of 'Bittersweet Goodbye' so it's not a disastrous placing by any means.

I think this could be my second favourite album from her after Fever! But there are a few albums I need to give more time too so that is perhaps a premature comment x

I always used to skip it completely because it was so jarring, but watching her Anti Tour performance of it and knowing it was a tribute to Michael Hutchence has made it an essential track! In the end, I think it's actually in the best position it could possibly be - as you say, the way 'Butterfly' just erupts from the silence is really effective, and I think 'Please Stay' preceding it helps to lower the mood slightly. It doesn't fit the sound or theme of Light Years at all but it's clearly an important track to her so can't really be left out.

The title track is a perfect album closer. What a song! wub.gif

+Quote this post
pippa
post May 15 2020, 09:53 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Bittersweet Goodbye is forever an album highlight but many disagree.
It is placed in the right position on the album and is a reflective song on the album.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jun 13 2020, 05:00 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I was listening to the title track the other day and thought how great it would be to have an extended version of the track, so I had a search and found this:

I love it! heart.gif This is such a unique track for Kylie - I imagine it's not what she has in mind when she says the next album will be disco (I'm expecting more funky and Dua-esque sound) but I'd give anything to have something like this appear somewhere.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post Jun 13 2020, 05:11 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
Your disco needs you would have appealed to the LGBTQ community but I think it’s too cheesy to have become a more widespread hit.

+Quote this post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:56 AM