BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another Suitcase in Another Hall ● 20 Years
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Mar 17 2017, 01:29 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Today marks 20 years since 'Another Suitcase in Another Hall' was released as the third single from the Evita soundtrack.

'Another Suitcase in Another Hall' was first recorded in 1976 by Barbara Dickson who portrayed Juan Perón's mistress on the original concept album Evita. For the 1996 film, however, the song was sang by Eva Perón, completely reinventing its meaning. Critics praised the alteration and also Madonna's understanding of it, commenting that there was an added layer of vulnerability to the character. The reception to the song probably spurred the decision to release it as an official single and, despite no promotion, no remixes and next to no airplay, there was enough love of the song to push it Top 10 in Italy and the UK.

This is arguably Madonna's most forgotten singles as it is greatly overshadowed commercially by 'Don't Cry for Me Argentina' and critically by 'You Must Love Me'. It's not one I ever return to either and it's fair to say it would rate quite lowly in her discography for me but, listening to it this past couple of weeks as we hit 20 years of the soundtrack, I've come to really appreciate. It is indeed a very sweet, melodic song that Madonna brings a lot of character to; I really like the saxophone(?) in the instrumental too.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Regina
post Mar 17 2017, 01:41 PM
Post #2
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

A really beautiful song, but certainly not up there with You Must Love Me or Don't Cry For Me Argentina.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Mar 19 2017, 12:19 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(Regina @ Mar 17 2017, 01:41 PM) *
A really beautiful song, but certainly not up there with You Must Love Me or Don't Cry For Me Argentina.

Yeah, my sentiments exactly. I think it would help if the song had a performance that we could at least associate with it. For instance, the S&S Tour performance of 'You Must Love Me' is what made me pay real attention to the song.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Mar 20 2017, 08:05 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

I love the fact that Madonna took the song from Andrea Corrs part for the film version .
As a song it's better for me then the other so singles !! So much more relatable , however I agree Liam the YMLM tour version slays.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Mar 20 2017, 08:09 PM
Post #5
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

I don't really return to this much at all but when I do it's a pleasant enough listen. Actually sounds older than 20 years old though, being super retro and vintage and all.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:11 PM