BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> You and the charts
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
mdh
post Apr 20 2017, 08:36 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776
I was just thinking to myself what the charts mean to me in my day-to-day life, and it's occurred to me just how much of a big part they play in my day. So yeah, it brings up the question - what's your relationship with the charts right now?

I know that a lot of peoples interest in the charts dwindled after OA/OS started to take over and the turnover at the top of the charts slowed down a bit, but personally since then (the end of 2015 namely) I've been getting progressively more and more invested in the UK charts and gained more of a keen interest/obsession with the UK music industry in general.

So here are my questions for you - how much of a portion of your life does music/the charts take up? Are you the kind of person to obsessively refresh iTunes every ten minutes and spend hours on Buzzjack in the chart forum, or do you tend to just have more of a passive interest?
I ask this as I know there are some on here that don't really hold much of an interest these days, and some who're at the other end of the spectrum and are completely OBSESSED with the charts (naming no names tongue.gif)

Discuss!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Apr 20 2017, 08:47 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
The charts are a very big part of my life. I make sure I'm somewhere where I can listen to them every week, although last summer when there was only like 1 new entry a week I was despairing cry.gif

This post has been edited by PeteFromCats: Apr 20 2017, 08:47 PM

+Quote this post
danG
post Apr 20 2017, 09:08 PM
Post #3
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
I still find the charts very interesting, even now when songs don't have artificially boosted chart positions from being held-back for weeks and they're allowed to grow naturally - I just wish there was a slightly faster turnover! (I will be super-pissed if Symphony loses a #1 peak to f***ing Shape Of You)

+Quote this post
Ne Plus Ultra
post Apr 20 2017, 09:13 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 4,817
Once Ed Sheeran, Bieber, and Drake took over the charts, my interest in the modern day ones are almost down to zero.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post Apr 20 2017, 09:16 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
I don't follow the charts as much anymore. I no longer listen to the weekly run downs but do check the midweek positions. Streaming has virtually sucked the life out of the charts and lack of interesting new music has made me switch off a lot in the last few years!

+Quote this post
All★bySmashMouth
post Apr 20 2017, 09:21 PM
Post #6
Group icon
former insolent era FM11
Pronouns: he
User: 7,795
I always and still will pay attention to the charts. Just not as much as I used to because I've been doing something else.

I still check every week of course but I try not to have some sort of entitlement about songs failing the Top 40 because of streams or whatever. I mean it's just the Top 40 at the end of the day.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post Apr 20 2017, 09:25 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
QUOTE(Ne Plus Ultra @ Apr 20 2017, 10:13 PM) *
Once Ed Sheeran, Bieber, and Drake took over the charts, my interest in the modern day ones are almost down to zero.

Same here, I use to be obsessed with the charts, now the interest has dwindled quite a bit, its just a bit stale listening to the same tracks every week. Ed Sheeran is doing my nut in.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Apr 20 2017, 09:40 PM
Post #8
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
I'll always pay attention to the charts as it's been a lifelong interest and keeps me musically in the loop at least, but it's far too stale and the range of music too limited and safe for me to get too invested in these days. I like checking the iTunes chart and Sales chart more than I do listening as I often find some quite unexpected gems in there these days what with them rapidly losing relevance (just like the physical charts post 2007 </3)

+Quote this post
Houdini
post Apr 20 2017, 09:46 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725
The Official chart means very little to me these days and the iTunes chart doesn't mean as much as it used to but I still check it every now and then.

+Quote this post
Haribo
post Apr 20 2017, 09:57 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 20,616
I mostly care about Bey's chart perfomances and I'm glad when albums and songs I like receive are successful.

+Quote this post
-SCOTT-
post Apr 20 2017, 09:59 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 194
i lived and breathed the charts 1997 to 2016. I'm over it now

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Apr 20 2017, 10:06 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
I check chart threads out of habit. They used to be a pretty big deal for me but I now feel nothing for them. If I forgot to check the chart for four weeks, chances are I've missed nothing.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Apr 20 2017, 10:22 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(♀T Boy♀ @ Apr 20 2017, 11:06 PM) *
I check chart threads out of habit. They used to be a pretty big deal for me but I now feel nothing for them. If I forgot to check the chart for four weeks, chances are I've missed nothing.

Some songs might have moved as much as six or seven places in that time laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Apr 20 2017, 10:23 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
I'm still fairly invested in them myself. Will always listen back to the Chart Show on the iPlayer as I'm seldom able to follow it live. We're in a new era now & although in many aspects it's not as exciting I'm finding new features such as streaming lead hits & one week album takeovers quite interesting. Plus the fact now it's a lot harder to pinpoint where the next #1 will come from as opposed to a few years back where acts were taking it in turns to release one week after another to guarantee top spot.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Apr 21 2017, 06:40 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
QUOTE(♀mdh♀ @ Apr 20 2017, 09:36 PM) *
I was just thinking to myself what the charts mean to me in my day-to-day life, and it's occurred to me just how much of a big part they play in my day. So yeah, it brings up the question - what's your relationship with the charts right now?

Almost my only connection now is via my YTD sales estimates. I'll listen to music by my fav artists, but I don't routinely listen to the charts any more.

+Quote this post
Supercell
post Apr 21 2017, 12:42 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 11,831
I've always loved the charts and although I haven't listened to the chart show for years I've followed it online with the midweeks ect. My interest has dropped massively the past two years though. The ridiculous chart manipulation in 2014 which had a new no.1 nearly every week of the year was incredibly boring and frustrating, then we switched to the exact opposite by 2016 where the charts have become like watching paint dry.

However, the last few weeks I've started to gain a bit more interest, as the amount of new music has improved and also the charts have slowly started gathering a pace (aside from the Ed sheeran fiasco)

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Apr 21 2017, 12:45 PM
Post #17
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
My interest in the charts is still pretty high, although I'll always prefer the pre-streaming days despite understanding why streaming is necessary in the chart. I'll check Kworb at regular intervals and always look at Spotify's chart when I wake up in the morning, plus of course I host the chart show here so am able to listen 99% of the time magic.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Apr 21 2017, 01:37 PM
Post #18
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Passive interest. I keep up out of interest and to see how artists' careers develop and what the next big thing will be. Handily enough, it's also part of my job to be aware of those kinds of things.

I don't listen to the charts any more really because it takes so long and because I don't like half the stuff on there. Also because it's so slow-moving nowadays I could just as easily put on a playlist of the same tracks without having to suffer the host's chat in between.

It is fun to follow along the chart thread on here tho with the discussion, and I like to see the bands and artists I like chart well because it probably matters to their career - although who can tell nowadays, the industry has changed so much.

+Quote this post
Scene
post Apr 21 2017, 02:25 PM
Post #19
Group icon
This is where you end and I begin
User: 5,567
I still try to keep up to date with them but they're not as interesting as they used to be.

The iTunes Chart used to be compulsive viewing, especially if a fave was releasing. Plus there were shock successes - not so much these days. sad.gif

+Quote this post
Hadji
post Apr 21 2017, 02:47 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,386
I lost faith in the charts in 2014 when they decided to include streaming

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:54 AM