BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
12 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> OCC chart rule changes - artist cap and ACR, MW article / OCC chart rules in OP
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
AcerBen
post 22nd June 2017, 05:25 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429
https://twitter.com/Popjustice/status/877932033766440960

Record Of The Day Magazine say it's coming next month. Will wait to see full details before judging!

QUOTE(Mart!n @ Jun 26 2017, 12:28 PM) *
Inside the Official Chart Company's Singles Chart revamp
by Mark Sutherland
June 26th 2017 at 11:37AM

The Official Charts Company has unveiled a huge revamp of the Singles Chart aimed at speeding up the Top 40 and boosting opportunities for labels to break new artists.

Following controversy over all 16 tracks from Ed Sheeran’s ÷ album charting in the Top 20, and multiple chart entries by the likes of Drake and Stormzy, there will now be a cap on the number of tracks by an artist that can feature in the Top 100.

Only the three most popular tracks by a lead artist will now be eligible for the chart, although songs on which a star is a featured artist will not count towards that total.

Meanwhile, after a record has racked up at least 10 weeks on the chart, any track which has declined for three consecutive weeks will see its streams:sales ratio change from 150:1 to 300:1, in an attempt to accelerate their disappearance from the chart.

“This is all about supporting new music,” Official Charts Company chief executive Martin Talbot told Music Week.

“We’re making sure the chart continues to be a place that reflects the consumption of new records in a fast-changing world.”

Talbot said that Official Charts research showed the changes would mean “potentially 10% more hits will be generated on an annual basis”.

The measures have been approved – after much debate over the detail – by major and independent record labels, retailers, digital music services and BBC Radio 1, which broadcasts the new chart every Friday.

“This is not a chart for album tracks; we want to remain the Official Singles Chart, for singles,” said Talbot. “We’re not removing singles from the chart.

The ratio change is designed to help unblock the top end of the charts from records that are well beyond their peak.

They’re prohibiting new records from getting exposure. It’s tougher than ever for new music and developing artists to break through, and this is us doing our bit.”

The changes will kick in this Friday (June 30), with the first chart under the new rules published on July 7.

Streaming now regularly accounts for over 85% of singles ‘sales’, a change that has seen the number of Top 40 hits decline by 40% between 2013 and 2016.

“This is about injecting energy back into the chart,” said Talbot, “While at the same time not taking away what it’s always been: a reflection of the consumers’ love for music.”

QUOTE(ManicKangaroo @ Jul 1 2017, 03:55 AM) *
The OCC have now updated the Chart Rules on their website- including a couple of things we didn't know before (in red)

5.0 Exclusions

5.1 Exclusion By Request

i) A UK rights owner/licensee may request the Official Charts Company to exclude a record from the Charts where the record is not generally available from the owner’s normal distributor (for example - deleted titles, or pre-release transactions caused by distribution leaks). The Official Charts Company may at its absolute discretion exclude a record from the Chart in such circumstances. A record that otherwise meets all eligibility criteria will not be excluded from the charts.

ii) A UK rights owner/licensee may elect to exclude the third bestselling single by an artist and replace it with their fourth bestselling track if the third bestselling track is outside of the Top 20 chart positions. Tracks excluded in this way cannot become chart eligible again for a period of six months.

iii) In exceptional circumstances, a UK rights owner/licensee may elect to exclude the second bestselling single by an artist and replace it with their fourth bestselling track if the second bestselling track is outside of the Top 20 chart positions on the Accelerated Chart Ratio. Tracks excluded in this way cannot become chart eligible again for a period of six months.

6.0 Accelerated Decline

6.1 Streaming Ratio

New releases will have a streaming to sales ratio of 150:1 (or as otherwise amended by the CSC) applied for the combining of chart eligible transactions. This ratio will be known as Standard Chart Ratio (SCR)

After 3 consecutive weeks of decline a stream to sale ratio of 300:1 (or as otherwise amended by the CSC) can be applied. This is also known as Accelerated Chart Ratio (ACR)

Decline is defined as negative week on week variance of combined sales and streams AND negative variance lower than the market rate of change week on week

6.2 Exceptions

Accelerated Chart Ratio cannot be applied to any product with fewer than 9 weeks on chart (ie. ACR can only be applied in its 10th week on the Top 100 chart, at the earliest).

6.3 Resets

i) Automatic Reset – a track on ACR can automatically return to SCR if its combined sales and stream total increases by 50% greater than the market change week on week.

ii) Manual Reset – In exceptional circumstances, where a track is being scheduled for promotion, a label may elect to manually reset a track to SCR. This manual reset is limited to two tracks per artist album, only where the track in question is outside the Top 100 and subject to one week’s notice being given from the releasing label that they wish to implement a manual reset. Manual reset shall be strictly subject to Official Charts and CSC approval.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 22nd June 2017, 05:30 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
So does that mean three album tracks or three songs all together? As in, if an artists releases three singles and then an album, none of the album tracks would chart? Presumably once a song became a single, it would be allowed to chart.

Also, surely the album tracks allowed to chart would have to be 'nominated' by record companies as it certainly wouldn't work in regards to sales - what if certain songs sell more in one week than others do in another? Would be have some in-out-in-out style chart runs?

(These aren't questions posed at you, btw, just rhetorical ones).

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 22nd June 2017, 05:54 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
Stupid occ rule number 4642579075313568111 :/

+Quote this post
ankietarrr
post 22nd June 2017, 06:08 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,769
So Ed will release six albums at the same time consisting of three songs each and this stupid rule is bypassed easily

BTW Calvin Harris claimed album era is gone and he will release singles only

I think album era is gone also so this rule is to be modified

This post has been edited by ankietarrr: 22nd June 2017, 06:12 PM

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 22nd June 2017, 06:12 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
What are with these bogus rules.

Just separate album streams from the friggin singles chart.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 22nd June 2017, 06:20 PM
Post #6
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300
QUOTE(ankietarrr @ Jun 22 2017, 07:08 PM) *
BTW Calvin Harris claimed album era is gone and he will release singles only

He's releasing an album in like a week lol (I'm sure I also remember him claiming this before releasing his last album...)

~

This is a bit of a :/ development, I still think the album track invasions are largely a non-issue but even aside from that, this is one of the worst possible ways they could go about 'fixing' that.

+Quote this post
Fruity
post 22nd June 2017, 06:32 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 15,781
The rule is not ideal but Ed Sheeran's 9 top 10 singles from Divide is not ideal either.

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 22nd June 2017, 06:34 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429
From reading back through previous ROTD issues, where they've been hinting about this for some times, it seems that the 3 tracks will be selected by the record company. But I guess we will find out very soon. ROTD usually only announce these things just before OCC confirms them.

This post has been edited by AcerBen: 22nd June 2017, 06:34 PM

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 22nd June 2017, 06:47 PM
Post #9
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
So the sales for those that aren't the record company's chosen three just not count at all ever, even if they're a single eventually? unsure.gif I mean I want something to be done so entire albums making the top 10 isn't regular, but this feels like a hard rule to maintain.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: 22nd June 2017, 06:47 PM

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 22nd June 2017, 07:07 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
For a minute I really thought it was an Aprils Fools Day joke, 3 months too late. heehee.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 22nd June 2017, 07:11 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jun 22 2017, 07:47 PM) *
So the sales for those that aren't the record company's chosen three just not count at all ever, even if they're a single eventually? unsure.gif I mean I want something to be done so entire albums making the top 10 isn't regular, but this feels like a hard rule to maintain.

I *think* that the sales of songs that were excluded from the chart back in circa 2013 due to an issue surrounding instant grats are now included in the song's total, so maybe chart-ineligible album tracks will still have all their sales included in their totals. It would result in the strange situation of tracks getting certified without "charting" should they sell enough, but it's pretty common for low/non charting songs to go Silver nowadays anyway.

Presumably record companies will have to make the decision (if this is even to be the case, that is) before the album is released and not get to see which album tracks look set to chart best before deciding. I also think this could make them consider very early on which songs they would like to become future singles (if they don't already do that anyway).

I imagine this won't be a major problem though. Ed Sheeran is the only big example of an artist having their album tracks completely dominate the top area of the chart. Even Drake didn't have a particularly big takeover considering and most of his album tracks dropped away pretty rapidly anyway.

+Quote this post
danG
post 22nd June 2017, 08:10 PM
Post #12
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
Good. At least we will no longer have the ridiculous situation where Ed Sheeran has 16 songs in the top 20, or even the ridiculous situation of Drake having over 20 songs in the top 75.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 22nd June 2017, 09:41 PM
Post #13
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
This seems stupid. Can they not just rename the chart and stop jumping through hoop after hoop to create a new definition for what counts as a single, in a world where that definition is becoming in itself obsolete?

There should be the Top 40 Played chart or Streamed chart and the top 40 Singles chart and let that be an end to it. God knows they have enough time in their weekly schedule for two chart shows 1.5 hours long each, especially when they're shedding listeners by the bucketload as people move away from radio and only listen to specific programs like the weekly chart show. It's not so long ago that the top 40 they played was 3 hours long and they managed that fine.

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: 22nd June 2017, 09:41 PM

+Quote this post
Hadji
post 22nd June 2017, 09:50 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,386
They should just create an album-tracks chart for album-tracks and move them into the singles chart when they've been made into official singles

+Quote this post
BOOBA GRANDE
post 22nd June 2017, 10:07 PM
Post #15
Group icon
You don't have to be fabulous to be good
User: 5,591
If i were to make such cap I'd make a cap on three highest selling tracks at the same time. Which is still by far not ideal...

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 26th June 2017, 08:12 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366
The new issue of Music Week, published this morning, has a front page article about the new rules. I'm sure a more in-depth article will appear at some point today on the OCC site but the main rule changes are:

1. a cap on the number of tracks by an artist that can feature in the Top 100. Only the three most popular tracks by a lead artist will now be eligible for the charts although songs on which an artist is a featured artist will not count towards that total

2. Once a track has been on the chart for at least 10 weeks and has declined for three consecutive weeks its streaming to sales ratio will change from 150:1 to 300:1 in an attempt to accelerate its disappearance from the chart

3. The rules apply from this Friday (30 June) with the first chart published under the new rules on 7 July.

This post has been edited by Robbie: 26th June 2017, 08:38 AM

+Quote this post
danG
post 26th June 2017, 08:20 AM
Post #17
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
QUOTE(Robbie @ Jun 26 2017, 09:12 AM) *
2. Once a track has been on the chart for at least 10 weeks and has declined for three weeks its streaming to sales ratio will change from 150:1 to 300:1 in an attempt to accelerate its disappearance from the chart

ooh, I like this one! Hopefully this means we stop seeing the likes of One Dance, Cheap Thrills, Can't Stop The Feeling and Mr. Brightside from clogging up the bottom end of the charts for weeks on end (the latter in particular may well have been a top 100 mainstay until the end of time unless there was a rule change).

+Quote this post
post 26th June 2017, 08:32 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
I'm a bit confused by this. What happens when an artist releases a 4th single? Or if a album track is doing well and then becomes a single afterwards.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 26th June 2017, 08:36 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
QUOTE(Robbie @ Jun 26 2017, 09:12 AM) *
The new issue of Music Week, published this morning, has a front page article about the new rules. I'm sure a more in-depth article will appear at some point today on the OCC site but the main rule changes are:

2. Once a track has been on the chart for at least 10 weeks and has declined for three weeks its streaming to sales ratio will change from 150:1 to 300:1 in an attempt to accelerate its disappearance from the chart

But what happens if it's sales subsequently increase again?

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 26th June 2017, 08:40 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jun 26 2017, 09:36 AM) *
But what happens if it's sales subsequently increase again?
There isn't much detail in the Music Week article. Hopefully the OCC will address this.

I've made a slight edit to my original post, I'd missed out the word "consecutive" so it now reads

2. Once a track has been on the chart for at least 10 weeks and has declined for three consecutive weeks its streaming to sales ratio will change from 150:1 to 300:1 in an attempt to accelerate its disappearance from the chart

+Quote this post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 03:04 PM