BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Who Will Win The 2018 FIFA World Cup?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Who Will Win The 2018 FIFA World Cup?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 39
Guests cannot vote 
Houdini
post May 10 2018, 04:39 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725
With only one month to go until the world cup starts who do you think will win the tournament? defending champions Germany are currently the favourites to win the tournament and it's easy to understand why when you look at the depth of talent in their squad. France, Spain & Brazil are also amongst the favourites to lift the famous gold trophy in Russia. Belgium, Colombia & Uruguay could be considered dark horses as well. Portugal will look towards Cristiano Ronaldo and Argentina will look towards Lionel Messi for inspiration this summer.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post May 10 2018, 04:48 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
It could be anyone really, some of the favourites to win will almost certainly be kicked out at the group stage (I mean, Italy didn't even qualify) but I guess Germany is a good shout. I've gone for Uruguay but there's no real reasoning behind that - another incident with Suarez could get them a little further tongue.gif It'll be interesting to see whether Iceland get through the groups as well!

+Quote this post
DJHazey
post May 10 2018, 06:19 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,783
My first group by group analysis, leading up to the tournament:

Group A

Russia // Saudi Arabia // Egypt // Uruguay

Russia

Analysis: Their last two tournaments (EURO 2016 and 2017 Confederations Cup) were both disasters and recent friendlies have not been encouraging either. The strong EURO 2008 squad has aged into the their mid-30s and most of that squad has been replaced by young players that are not proven as of yet.

Key Player: Aleksandr Kokorin (Zenit St. Petersburg) - Having a career year for his club and is third leading scoring in the Europa League.

Outlook: 3rd place in group stage

Saudi Arabia

Analysis: Returning to the World Cup for the first time since 2006, after defeating Japan 1-0 on the last day of Asian Qualifying. Their coach, who led them through the qualifying campaign, left the team shortly after due to a contract dispute. They've gone through a couple of coaches since and have settled on former Chile coach Juan Antonio Pizzi (who led Chile to the 2016 Copa Centenario win). Does he have enough time to become acquainted with his new team?

Key Player: Mohammed Al-Sahlawi (Al-Nassr in Saudi Arabia) - The 30 year-old was joint top scorer in Asian Qualification and has a flare for dramatic late-goals for his country.

Outlook: 4th place in group stage

Egypt

Analysis: The current Egyptian squad is mostly an unknown to the international stage. The last few World Cup qualifying campaigns have ended in heartbreak, usually at the hands of Ghana. Seemingly, as if the CAF leaders were having a joke on Egypt's account, they were thrust into the same qualifying group as their nemesis...and they destroyed everyone including Ghana. This is a fast-paced young squad that is very fun to watch play; being a new generation that have all developed together. They made to the 2017 African Cup of Nations final and it'll be enjoyable to see if they're ready for the big stage.

Key Player: Mo Salah (Liverpool) - Unless you've been living under a rock, you know what Salah has been doing for Liverpool in both the Premier League and Champions League. Some have even said he may be the next Messi/Ronaldo. He can take a major step towards those lofty goals with a breakout tournament here.

Outlook: Win the group, lose in Round of 16.

Uruguay

Analysis: In recent years Uruguay have been a tough team to judge. They finished second to Brazil in South American World Cup Qualifying, but also were dreadful in the last couple Copa America tournaments. They can be a quick-trigger team capable of magnificent goals and attacking football but can also be a slow-footed, bogged-down team that struggles to get results. They are veteran squad that could go on a long run or be ousted in the group stage. wejustdontknow.gif

Key Player: Luis Suarez (Barcelona) - Far from a one-man army (Edinson Cavani also leads a potent attack) Suarez is as polarizing a figure in international football as he is skilled. We all remember his biting incidents but he also single-handedly spurred on Uruguay's qualifying campaign. Despite finishing second, knowing what teams would qualify from this region was always in the balance, thank to string of results that can only be described as chaos. Suarez had many big moments to lead Uruguay to Russia.

Outlook: Second in the group, lose in Round of 16.

This post has been edited by DJHazey: May 10 2018, 06:20 PM

+Quote this post
Rooney
post May 10 2018, 06:51 PM
Post #4
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
Gone for Brazil, but I think a lot depends on whether Neymar makes it. Otherwise you can't see much past Germany, they're like a machine.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post May 10 2018, 07:57 PM
Post #5
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
Went for Germany - can't believe someone has gone for England.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post May 10 2018, 09:09 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
Messi to lead Argentina to WC glory at the last attempt.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post May 10 2018, 09:16 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
Brazil for me!

+Quote this post
DJHazey
post May 11 2018, 03:07 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,783
I think Brazil has a lot to prove as far putting that 7-1 loss to Germany behind them, they'll get it done.

+Quote this post
Severin
post May 11 2018, 05:58 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872
Germany or France

+Quote this post
Mack.
post May 11 2018, 10:26 PM
Post #10
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
Between Brazil, Germany and France I reckon.

Portugal maybe each-way at 25/1.

+Quote this post
Houdini
post Jun 6 2018, 07:36 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725
Only 8 days to go until the World Cup starts and 16 votes so far in this. Any more?

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post Jun 6 2018, 07:43 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293
Although it's difficult to look past Germany, Brazil & France, I have a sneaking suspicion that Spain might do it. Apart from Portugal, they have a nice run to the semi-final and they have such a strong midfield. Their only issue might be up front.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Jun 6 2018, 09:44 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Come around quickly this hasn't it? Just one more lousy friendly to endure.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Jun 7 2018, 06:11 PM
Post #14
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
Changed my mind, think Spain will win it.

+Quote this post
Silas
post Jun 7 2018, 06:22 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
I’m backing Germany as per usual. Can’t not really this year in particular! laugh.gif

Confident that they’re in with a good shout

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Jun 7 2018, 06:24 PM
Post #16
Group icon
I reckon Germany will win it. Very hard not to doubt them.

Other contenders again Brazil, France, Spain maybe Argentina.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Jun 7 2018, 06:37 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Would be the first successful title defence since 1962 & only the second in World Cup history if they do!

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post Jun 8 2018, 08:37 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53
Brazil

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post Jun 9 2018, 10:50 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
Personally I can't see anything pass Germany, but if Belgium qualify from their group which they should and get easy draws in the latter stages they could pull a surprise but they probably get a stuck in the semis with one of the big hitters. I think France and Spain could do with a shout, I'm not so sure about Brazil and Argentina, Argentina could have the odd bad day.

And who are the 2 members that voted for England, they need a miracle, I know they are winning games to the run up to qualifying but they are really going to struggle in the latter stages, I wouldn't be surprised if we get knocked out in the second round. Their games can be a bit of a miss sometimes and boring to watch.

And we got a longer wait for the next tournament, 4 years and 6 months laugh.gif goodness knows how the Football schedule is going to end up for 2022, have they actually figure that out yet. 2026 will be round a lot quicker.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Jun 30 2018, 07:02 PM
Post #20
Group icon
We were very wrong about Germany winning it. They surprised us about how bad they were.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:32 AM