BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> What should have been the lead from Impossible Princess?, Choose from these tracks...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
The Scrapped choices or kept as it was?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 30
Guests cannot vote 
Nina West
post 2nd November 2020, 04:30 PM
Post #1
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Just a little poll here on what do you think should have been the lead single from Kylie's 6th studio album Impossible Princess, released way back in 1998 while the lead single 'Some Kind of Bliss' was released several months prior in September 1997 & didn't perform very well commercially or critically by becoming her first solo single to miss the UK top 20.

But as you may or may not know that this wasn't the first choice to lead the project. As it turns out there 4 other choices taken into consideration, before 'SKOB' was chosen & the as it states in the poll which of these do u think would have been a better choice. There's also a choice on whether you think something else should have been released or kept as it was you decide?

These were the other choices below..

Too Far

Creative director Steve Anderson felt either "Too Far" or "Jump" were better offerings to promote the album. Deconstruction reviewed both their views, but did not promote any of them and released "Some Kind of Bliss" as the lead single instead.

"Too Far" was actually set to go as the fourth single from Impossible Princess; remixes were already commissioned and very few test pressing vinyls were done to be sent to clubs to start promotion; all plans were cancelled in order to release Mixes and terminate Kylie’s contract with Deconstruction as soon as possible; a remix of "Too Far" was released as a promo single from Mixes in 1998.

I Don't Need Anyone

The song was recorded during the second part of the album's writing sessions, once they had been extended to find material that DeConstruction felt would be marketable. The song was considered as one of the choices for release as the lead single from the album, but was discarded in favour of "Some Kind of Bliss".

Jump

This was Steve Anderson’s second pick for the album’s lead single as he felt this & ‘Too Far’ best represented the album. After their discussion for a single, both Kylie and Anderson disagreed with each other and asked the staff of Deconstruction to decide on the single. Deconstruction did not believe any songs they decided were suitable.

In January 1998, "Jump", alongside five other album tracks, were included on an exclusive cassette tape and given to Deconstruction members to select their opinion on which should be the third single; "Jump" lost respectively to "Breathe".

Limbo

Before the release of Impossible Princess, Kylie had handpicked "Limbo" as the lead single for the album; DeConstruction were horrified with the idea of such a dark hardcore dance track as the presentation card for the album, and so persuaded Kylie to extend the recording sessions and got her to work with James Dean Bradfield; this resulted in the track "Some Kind of Bliss" being chosen for the lead, the artwork for which was chosen by Kylie for "Limbo".

This was also one of the other 5 album tracks in contention to be the third single, before ‘Breathe’ was chosen.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 2nd November 2020, 05:19 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

I think limbo might have been ok for the lead.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 2nd November 2020, 06:34 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I think 'Too Far' could have been a good lead and interesting to see how it would have done as more of a risk, maybe same with 'Limbo' too.

I don't actually think anything else would have done better or changed the album's fortunes though, 'I Don't Need Anyone' is very much in the same vein as SKOB but weaker. I can see why they went with it, as the Manics were massive at that point.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 2nd November 2020, 06:51 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

I love all the tracks listed but as has been said they went with the most commercial sounding lead song - none of the songs listed would have done any better (and probably performed worse).

That all said it’s still by far my favourite album.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 2nd November 2020, 06:57 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I dont think Breathe or did it again would have performed any worse than some kind of bliss as the lead,

+Quote this post
aeroco
post 2nd November 2020, 10:21 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 2,392

Too Far. Far more representative of the album than the poppier SKOB.

They bottled it not releasing the delayed IP with Did It Again in November. It had a great promo video.

It’s a brilliant album though, all tracks strong in their own way. Just lacked a killer lead single. They chose right with DIA and Breathe and Cowboy Style would have been a good choice for a UK release either before or after Breathe. The cash ran out! Though bizarrely they later released ‘Mixes’ which made no commercial sense at all.

This post has been edited by aeroco: 2nd November 2020, 10:22 PM

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 2nd November 2020, 10:27 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

QUOTE(aeroco @ Nov 2 2020, 10:21 PM) *
Too Far. Far more representative of the album than the poppier SKOB.

They bottled it not releasing the delayed IP with Did It Again in November. It had a great promo video.

It’s a brilliant album though, all tracks strong in their own way. Just lacked a killer lead single. They chose right with DIA and Breathe and Cowboy Style would have been a good choice for a UK release either before or after Breathe. The cash ran out! Though bizarrely they later released ‘Mixes’ which made no commercial sense at all.

‘Mixes’ only got released so that Kylie could end her Deconstruction deal that’s why there was minimal effort put into the release (The Australian version is much better though with a picture sleeve and called ‘Impossible Remixes’ and went Top 40 there wub.gif )

+Quote this post
pippa
post 2nd November 2020, 10:28 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

It is likely another lead single may have found its way to a low Top 20 position to which at that time would have still been viewed as a flop.
Breathe or Limbo would be my lead choices.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 3rd November 2020, 01:45 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I love I dont need anyone but as a lead it would gave been the same as some kind of bliss as both are similar sounding. I do see why too far might have worked, maybe too far and limbo as a double single might have had appeal.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 3rd November 2020, 11:58 AM
Post #10
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Would've loved "Too Far" to have been the lead single for this album as not only is it an amazing track, but it would have represented the feel of the album far better than the safe 'SKOB', which I do get why it was picked; for the simple reason that it was safe & the label DeCon didn't fully believe in this project in the first place. Even Kylie herself didn't fully believe in 'SKOB' as it wasn't even her choice in the first place, it was simply the label's choice as everybody else were undecided between several other tracks (listed in my first post).

Firstly I do believe that 'Some Kind of Bliss' was a mistake as the lead as while its a fine track, it lacks that forward momentum, which was felt by just about everybody at the time, the critical reviews were very lacklustre & the public didn't really warm to it either. Plus it was released on a very busy week with 16 new entries in the top 40 with Kylie only managing to be the 12th highest that week see the link below:

UK Top 100 14 September 1997 - 20 September 1997

However while I do prefer 'TF', I don't think it would have done much better commercially, while the track did have glowing critical reviews, don't think the general public would have warmed to it, as like 'Where The Wild Roses Grow' from a few years before (while its loved now, it didn't have a very strong UK chart run), It would have been a bit too out-there & like 'WTWRG' at that time would have been better received years later, like the album itself, also wasn't well liked at the time, but now is seen as a classic. Looking at that week 'TF' may have scraped lower end of the top 20 if lucky, but we will never know for sure.

+Quote this post
aeroco
post 3rd November 2020, 12:39 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 2,392

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Nov 2 2020, 10:27 PM) *
‘Mixes’ only got released so that Kylie could end her Deconstruction deal that’s why there was minimal effort put into the release (The Australian version is much better though with a picture sleeve and called ‘Impossible Remixes’ and went Top 40 there wub.gif )

Oh yes, well recalled.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 3rd November 2020, 01:31 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Too Far Would have represented the album has a whole project.
Some Kind of Bliss was released due to the link with Manic Street Preachers who were hugely popular.
Similar to the decision of Pharrells popularity leading to the release of I Was Gonna Cancel.
After its underperformance the little interest that remained for Kylie diminished further and the project had no chance.
It is amazing how the perception of the albumn has changed in the years since it's release.
Where the Wild Roses Grow, if released a few years later would have been a big hit as the interest in Kylie was phenomenal.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 3rd November 2020, 09:22 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Ya at the time, the album was just seen as a disaster by so many, thankfully i always liked the album from first go, granted some songs took longer to grow on me than others, i really dont think anything they done would have changed the outcome at all, its a shame that some kind of bliss missed the top 20 as that was a complete shock at the time, i know i in no way expected a new kylie lead single to miss the top 20 so i was gutted when it happened, plus i liked the song as well and still do.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 21st March 2021, 05:00 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Limbo after just listening to it gave me a feeling it could have been the lead single needed back then.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 21st March 2021, 06:29 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I can see the appeal of limbo, as a song I've always been a fan.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 21st March 2021, 06:40 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

A double A sided single may possibly have secured a Top 20 outcome and resulted in the album achieving all Top 20 hits.

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post 21st March 2021, 10:08 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,551

As much I would personally have loved to see Limbo as a single, I voted other.

I think 'Did it Again' was her most commercial song on the album, whilst also representing Kylie. The Manics songs are not for me.

I think 'Breathe' could've been very commercial with a bit more tempo. So could also have worked as a lead, with a better single mix.

My ideal run would've been 'Did It Again', 'Breathe', 'Cowboy Style' and then 'Limbo' as a risky, surprise finish to the campaign.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 22nd March 2021, 06:46 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Def Limbo.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 22nd March 2021, 06:50 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

I'd say either Breathe or I Did It Again would've been better lead singles and just by-passing SKOB.

I don't think Too Far would've worked to be honest, I Don't Need Anyone is in the same lane as Some Kind of Bliss. Limbo might've worked.

But as much as I like the album, there really isn't any huge first single moment on there.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 22nd March 2021, 01:27 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

As much as I love I dont need anyone I agree it was on the same lane as some kind of bliss. I couldn't see too far working either. Limbo did stand out though.
Breathe would be the perfect single in the charts of today as it was always a song wide open to great remixes and remixes these days can play a big role in boosting songs longevity in the charts.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 01:35 PM