BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> What should have been the lead from Impossible Princess?, Choose from these tracks...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
The Scrapped choices or kept as it was?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 30
Guests cannot vote 
tommie
post 29th March 2021, 05:05 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Mar 29 2021, 04:49 PM) *
It was just cool to hate Kylie at the time and I think anything she released would have been written off by the media, I remember all the MSP fans going mad because James Dean Bradfield had written the song and nobody could believe a ‘cool’ artist was involved with Kylie.

I still think it was the best choice as a lead single and can certainly see why they thought it would be a good commercial sounding lead track - it was the safest choice from an album that Deconstruction really didn’t ‘get’

I don't think it's fair to say Deconstruction didn't "get" Impossible Princess - there just wasn't anything on there of the caliber of Confide In Me and they couldn't have foreseen the backlash of Some Kind of Bliss (again, Where the Wild Roses Grow had a great reception and decent-sized hit). Add with Princess Diana's death it suddenly would've been in poor taste to release it under that title. Under the circumstances, I think they did the best they could do.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and knowing what we know now they might as well have gone with Limbo as I doubt it would've done worse than #22.

It's all woulda coulda shoulda, but I probably wouldn't have picked any other track as the lead if I were in their position. At least they got two top twenty singles out of it and a silver #10 album by the end. Considering the bad start it could've been way worse.

This post has been edited by tommie: 29th March 2021, 05:07 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 29th March 2021, 05:19 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Do you think if where the wild roses grow was on Ip and was the lead single the reaction would have been much better?

+Quote this post
tommie
post 29th March 2021, 05:26 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

Eh, narratively it really only fits in on Murder Ballads.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 29th March 2021, 07:46 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I would have liked it on the IP album as i think it would have fitted in at that time and possibly i very good lead single, the duet alone caught the attention of people and was backed by a great song, i do get though its narritive was for the murder ballads.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 29th March 2021, 10:55 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

Where the Wild Roses Grow done what Impossible Princess failed to manage at the time and get Kylie noticed and achieve credability.
I don't believe that was Kylies true aim with the album, it was more an expression of her feelings and having the scope to write her own music and that was successfully achieved.
Impossible Princess was an album that took many people a long time to understand but over the years it has managed to turn people's original opinions.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 30th March 2021, 04:44 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I love reading how people perception of IP has changed over the years.

+Quote this post
Dark Horse
post 31st March 2021, 08:05 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,457

Some kind of bliss, the right and most obvious choice... like Spinning around on Light years and All the lovers on Aphrodite...

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 2nd April 2021, 08:50 AM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

IP is one of those albums I refer to that needs the full package, all the songs just seem to work so much better when you play the album in its entirety, its definitely a body of work type of album.

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post 2nd April 2021, 01:17 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
User: 421

I actually like SKOB, I prefer it to Did It Again easily.

My single choices would've gone: Too Far, Breathe, Limbo, Cowboy Style

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 2nd April 2021, 05:16 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I've always much preferred SKOB to Did it again, I like did it again but its not a single I listen to much and there are a few IP songs I prefer to it.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 3rd April 2021, 11:37 AM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

QUOTE(tommie @ Mar 29 2021, 06:05 PM) *
I don't think it's fair to say Deconstruction didn't "get" Impossible Princess - there just wasn't anything on there of the caliber of Confide In Me and they couldn't have foreseen the backlash of Some Kind of Bliss (again, Where the Wild Roses Grow had a great reception and decent-sized hit). Add with Princess Diana's death it suddenly would've been in poor taste to release it under that title. Under the circumstances, I think they did the best they could do.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and knowing what we know now they might as well have gone with Limbo as I doubt it would've done worse than #22.

It's all woulda coulda shoulda, but I probably wouldn't have picked any other track as the lead if I were in their position. At least they got two top twenty singles out of it and a silver #10 album by the end. Considering the bad start it could've been way worse.

Her Deconstruction era is my favourite but they were not the right label for her, they were obviously expecting a much better return on investment from KM94 and with all the IP delays it seems they didn’t really know how to market Kylie.

The promos from the IP era are at best terrible - the promo CDs sent out for Breathe and the album sampler had a typed cover and no imagery, hardly the thing to catch radio and media attention back then.

I think the single choices were the best from the album - I was horrified when SKOB missed the Top 20 but like you say they managed to rectify that with the 2 further singles (I always felt that DIA deserved to be bigger but it was just the wrong time for Kylie).

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 3rd April 2021, 11:38 AM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Dark Horse @ Mar 31 2021, 09:05 PM) *
Some kind of bliss, the right and most obvious choice... like Spinning around on Light years and All the lovers on Aphrodite...

I can see why they pushed for this as the lead single (And IMO it was the right choice), it was an accessible track written with a well known artist and definitely one of the most radio friendly tracks.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 3rd April 2021, 01:45 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Apr 3 2021, 12:37 PM) *
Her Deconstruction era is my favourite but they were not the right label for her, they were obviously expecting a much better return on investment from KM94 and with all the IP delays it seems they didn’t really know how to market Kylie.

The promos from the IP era are at best terrible - the promo CDs sent out for Breathe and the album sampler had a typed cover and no imagery, hardly the thing to catch radio and media attention back then.

I think the single choices were the best from the album - I was horrified when SKOB missed the Top 20 but like you say they managed to rectify that with the 2 further singles (I always felt that DIA deserved to be bigger but it was just the wrong time for Kylie).

I felt breathe was the most robbed of been a hit but as we said it wasnt Kylies time at all. I was horrified too when SKOB missed the top 20 as I really thought it was going to be a safer top 10.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 3rd April 2021, 02:30 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ Apr 3 2021, 02:45 PM) *
I felt breathe was the most robbed of been a hit but as we said it wasnt Kylies time at all. I was horrified too when SKOB missed the top 20 as I really thought it was going to be a safer top 10.

It was unthought of them for a Kylie track to miss the Top 20, now we’re all happy with ‘Real Groove’ reaching #95 laugh.gif

+Quote this post
pippa
post 3rd April 2021, 07:53 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

The expectation levels of Kylie's singles are so different.
Missing the Top 20 was seen as a disaster and now number 95 is seen as a huge success.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 12:35 PM