BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Let's Get To It ● album discussion, 4th album ● 1991
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 7th May 2020, 12:25 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

A thread to discuss everything about 1991's Let's Get to It.

1. Word is Out
2. Give Me Just a Little More Time
3. Too Much of a Good Thing
4. Finer Feelings
5. If You Were With Me Now (with Keith Washington)
6. Let's Get to It
7. Right Here, Right Now
8. Live and Learn
9. No World Without You
10. I Guess I Like It Like That
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 7th May 2020, 03:46 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 632

Sooooooo underrated, not a lot a of obvious singles though which is the issue, finer feelings is 😍

+Quote this post
Monzo
post 7th May 2020, 04:24 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 349

Too Much Of A Good Thing, Let's Get to It, Right Here Right Now and Live and Learn all had 12" versions, but why? Did Stock & Waterman plan to release all these songs as singles?

+Quote this post
pippa
post 7th May 2020, 04:32 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

The album has a tone of lostness.
The album lacks direction which alone was signified in the singles from the album.
It has its share of highlights but the audience for Kylie was in decline and SAW weren't best placed to reverse it.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 7th May 2020, 06:15 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

Not my favourite album by any means but I love it for what it is. The artwork is one of my favourites though and it works SO well on the Cherry Red vinyl box reissue.

I can still remember being horrified that a Kylie album could enter at #15 and only spend a few weeks in the charts drama.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 7th May 2020, 06:24 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

I'm not sure what was more shocking for me, this missing top 10, word is out missing the top 10 or some kind of bliss missing the top 20. All were awful disappointing times. It's not my fave kylie album either but I do like a good few songs on it. Word is out took a fair bit of time to grow on me, finer feelings I can take it or leave but it's always stayed fairly popular with fans.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 7th May 2020, 07:08 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I know its not that popular here but i love i guess i like it like that and love this performance of it as there isnt too many performances of it, when i bough the album i really wanted this to be a single.

+Quote this post
aeroco
post 7th May 2020, 07:18 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 2,392

My favourite of the early albums.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 7th May 2020, 08:51 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

There are sounds of the older PWL sound pre their commercial success filtered in parts of the Let's Get To It album.

This post has been edited by pippa: 7th May 2020, 08:54 PM

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 7th May 2020, 10:06 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Another what if case, if GMJALMT or IYWWMN were the lead singles would the album have done any better. Word is out back then was a flop by kylies previous standards so it was a really bad start for the album.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 8th May 2020, 01:36 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ May 7 2020, 11:06 PM) *
Another what if case, if GMJALMT or IYWWMN were the lead singles would the album have done any better. Word is out back then was a flop by kylies previous standards so it was a really bad start for the album.

I doubt it, they did well themselves but they didn't really do much for the album, so I can't see that changing if either were leads: 'If You Were With Me Now' was being pushed immediately after the album release and it still went 15-18-27-48 and 'Give Me Just a Little More Time' only got the album to #50 during the post-Christmas slump. They're also not the best representative of the album either.

I think 'Word is Out' was the best choice for lead single as it was the most pop track that still represented the sound of the album. I'm not really sure what went wrong other than it being a further move away from what people expected from Kylie - if they didn't take to Rhythm of Love, they weren't going to take to this one.

I know fans have suggested 'Too Much of a Good Thing' or 'Right Here, Right Now' as good choice for lead single and I do agree in terms of them representing the album and being catchy, but I don't see how they would have done any better than 'Word is Out'.

It's a shame people just didn't take to this album because I actually think it's her second best from PWL.

She talks briefly about 'Word is Out' and its lack of success here.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 8th May 2020, 10:29 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I can see there point on too much of a good thing, I dont think it would have done any worse than word is out but prob wouldnt have been the big hit that was needed.

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 8th May 2020, 10:35 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I love word is out, I don’t get the hate, I really don’t

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 8th May 2020, 11:19 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I really like word is out but it took me a few years to appreciate it.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 8th May 2020, 11:49 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Am I right in saying the Summer Breeze mix of 'Word is Out' was the main version in Australia? I see it made #10 there, could that mix have helped in the UK?

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 8th May 2020, 02:29 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I don’t think so, other than the start and a few other other parts it’s not that different

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 8th May 2020, 02:50 PM
Post #17
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

May as well round of her PWL days with 'LGTI' =

Word Is Out
Starting things off with the usual lead single, and this shows Kylie heading towards the New Jack Swing sound, with a very different style and production to anything she's done before, but still very much a pop number, with a chorus awash with a fanfare of trumpets and some decent backing vocals. I think that this will always be labelled as that one that broke Kylie's run of 13 top 10 hits, and while I wouldn't call it terrible, its not all that great either, just okay, a decent album track, but lacks that something special and the attempt to keep up with the sounds of 1992, automatically dates it.

Give Me Just A Little More Time
Kylie's cover of the Chairman of the Board hit is a joyful affair and her fantastic tongue rolling vocals are a highlight. Like Kylie's other cover versions from this time period, they do not challenge the originals in terms of quality, however this is definitely the best of them in this rather stylish 90's update of a classic 70's track. This became the big hit of the album when released as the 3rd single and rightfully so and yeah this was a safe option to guarantee a hit, but it worked and while it may never stand as one of her best, its a fun little time capsule.

Too Much of a Good Thing
Back to more funky dance pop with this number with some interesting samples that works really well with the song, with soft understated vocals by Kylie in this hip and fun tune, and again a very different sound that doesn't really sound like a Kylie song at all, but its fantastic nonetheless and a definite album highlight. Maybe this would have worked better as the lead single and maybe could have continued her top 10 run a little longer.

Finer Feelings
Things take a slower pace now with this racy little number and shows a much more mature side to Kylie, and when released as the 4th single, it was was given a major overhaul and reproduction by Brothers In Rhythm. which really elevated it to a much higher level and turned it into a more classy dance tune and the whole thing comes across as really quite sophisticated and was perhaps a precursor to the type of tracks which appeared on her next album.

If You Were With Me Now
A nice Disney styled gorgeous ballad with American soul singer Keith Washington. Co-written by Kylie and Keith and with superbly emotional vocals from both sides. This put things back on track for Kylie by putting her back in the top 5 after the lead underperformed. Yes this is very schmaltzy and cheesy, but definitely shows more maturity.

Let's Get To It
The title track comes next and quite down tempo with a very soulful feel to it, along with a 90's groove behind the whole thing. Not one of my faves on here and at nearly 5 mins long, it goes on a tad bit long.

Right Here Right Now
The pace picks up with this pop/dance track, with a thumping beat from the offset and also benefits from some great backing vocals. Another good quality album track and a fine example of dance-floor Kylie.

Live And Learn
Another pop tune that's very uplifting and so simple in its design and execution. An okay little number nothing all that special though.

No World Without You
A really nice heartfelt guitar ballad dominated by Kylie’s superbly tender voice that opens up in the chorus to show its true strength. This is a fine example of how diverse in sound this album really is.

I Guess I Like It Like That
Ending the album on a much harder dance sound, more club music than commercial dance and twice as long than any other track on here, 6mins in length, making this somewhat of a departure and yet its very cheesy, but hell of a lot of fun with something that really pops on the dance-floor with quite a few samples and surprisingly the whole thing blends well as a cohesive, contemporary track. Which makes this an interesting way to end the album.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 8th May 2020, 03:13 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I would disagree about word is out but many would agree with you. If you were with me now is often overlooked and forgotten, plus kylie never goes back to the song which doesn't help but it does have that disney feel to it, it was a great relief at the time it going top 5 after word is out only making number 16.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 13th July 2020, 06:36 PM
Post #19
Group icon
User: 13,007

I'll hold off doing an album track rank because I have found that my tastes and ordering changes the more time I give the albums. But regardless, I listened to this the other day and again today and well.. It is quite comfortably my least favourite of the first 4 albums so far laugh.gif

One of the issues I have with this is how mismatch it is. The first 3 songs for example are all so different and yet none of their differences are particularly welcoming or strong or memorable. However when it gets to 'Finer Feelings' I feel like she really awakens and it's the first great moment on the album and then we get the dirge that follows it.

The title track is fun if a little repetitive, as is 'Right Here, Right Now' but again there is a distinct lack of spark and charm to the songs which I have found to be the case throughout it. These and 'Live and Learn' are a fun trio though in the second half of the album.

Hmm, not looking as forward to replaying this over and over like I did with the 3 albums that come before it but maybe things will grow? We shall see ~

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 13th July 2020, 06:43 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

It's a very mismatch album overall and it can also be clearly seen with the singles aswell as they are so different. I dont dislike the album but I dontvrevisit it too much either.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 05:26 AM