BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Instant grats being allowed to chart all of a sudden
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
k👠th
post Nov 7 2014, 07:37 PM
Post #1
baddest of them all
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 6,764

I don't know if this has been brought up in here before but I find the OCC to be really oblivious to their own rules that they make, especially the changing of the instant grat rule.

For example, Gaga's DWUW which was in the top 10 as an instant grat for 3 weeks to which none of those sales were counted due to their rule at the time.

And now all of a sudden there rule changes with Taylor Swift. You could obviously tell for example with DWUW that the majority of its sales as an instant grat were for the song itself and not ARTPOP otherwise it would have free-falled within hours but it stayed top 10 for 3 weeks and was estimated to sell 80k+ within those weeks yet none of those sales have been counted and it would have acquired a better chart peak had that rule not been in place.

My question is, now that they've changed the rule, will the sales for the instant grats that fell victim to the rule ever be counted? Or will they just be ignored? I know I sound like a bitter fan now but those sales for DWUW that were ruled out would be the difference between a 250k seller and a 300k seller, and the difference between it selling less or more than 'Applause'. I just find it ridiculous that they took so long to realize their mistake with the rule they made, and though they have changed it now - what about the instant grats before it. It's almost like double standards imo, such a mess
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
April
post Nov 7 2014, 07:40 PM
Post #2
changed the game with that digital drop
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,905

It's because iTunes have now decided the report the actual single sales separately from instant grats. The reason they were ineligible before is because iTunes only reported the combined total of the individual sales and sales resulting from the album pre-order.

Sucks that this never happened before! sad.gif

+Quote Post
fchd
post Nov 7 2014, 07:51 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 6,639
   No Gallery Pics

It's not the OCC rule which has changed, it's the Apple reporting mechanism.

+Quote Post
Brer
post Nov 7 2014, 07:53 PM
Post #4
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Member No.: 8,300

It is unfortunate for acts who suffered from this rule before the change but it's not the OCC's fault. That is, unless they were able to separate sales before and just chose not to. But I would assume the issue was that they were not able to.

The 100k-odd sales for 'Paradise' that it lost prior to the change that first allowed instant grats to chart have still never been retrospectively added so presumably the same will be true now (and to be fair they probably couldn't do so even if they wanted to for the same reason as above).

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Nov 7 2014, 07:54 PM
Post #5
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

#justiceforDWUW sad.gif

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Nov 7 2014, 07:55 PM
Post #6
❤️❤️➕🟦
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

To be fair, it does seem convient on iTunes part that it coincides with Taylor Swift.

+Quote Post
Brer
post Nov 7 2014, 07:57 PM
Post #7
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Member No.: 8,300

QUOTE(Rabbit Froot @ Nov 7 2014, 07:55 PM) *
To be fair, it does seem convient on iTunes part that it coincides with Taylor Swift.

Well the change had an opposite effect on Taylor's chart impact in the USA (and presumably everywhere else) so ~

+Quote Post
britster
post Nov 7 2014, 07:57 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 407
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE({ bré } @ Nov 7 2014, 07:53 PM) *
It is unfortunate for acts who suffered from this rule before the change but it's not the OCC's fault. That is, unless they were able to separate sales before and just chose not to. But I would assume the issue was that they were not able to.

I do remember reading that iTunes said it wasn't their fault with regard to instant grats and they could separate the sales, but now iTunes isn't reporting instant grats, there's no issue now.

+Quote Post
k👠th
post Nov 7 2014, 08:08 PM
Post #9
baddest of them all
Member No.: 6,764

Would have preferred they counted them even if Apple couldn't separate instant grat sales from album pre-orders, as far as I know almost every other worldwide chart did - instead of discrediting instant grats and now that Apple can count them, all of a sudden change the rule, neglecting previously ruled out instant grats

Thanks to this mess DWUW will be looked back on as the underperforming single when it actually did very well but the OCC's rule discredited that

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Nov 7 2014, 08:28 PM
Post #10
❤️❤️➕🟦
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE({ bré } @ Nov 7 2014, 07:57 PM) *
Well the change had an opposite effect on Taylor's chart impact in the USA (and presumably everywhere else) so ~

Maybe that's what I was insuating... APPLE ARE OUT TO DAMAGE TAYLOR SWIFT'S CAREER.

but yeh, I forgot about America haha

+Quote Post
SLlewellyn
post Nov 7 2014, 10:10 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 13,126
   No Gallery Pics

Injustice for some tracks, sure... But at least they've changed it now, rather than even further down the line.

+Quote Post
ThankedHD
post Nov 7 2014, 11:12 PM
Post #12
New Entry
Member No.: 21,355
   No Gallery Pics

wow nice opinion bro.

I will search for this.

Thanks

+Quote Post
Juranamo
post Nov 7 2014, 11:55 PM
Post #13
"Everything seems different the second time around."
Member No.: 5,830
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Kath ♡ @ Nov 7 2014, 08:08 PM) *
Would have preferred they counted them even if Apple couldn't separate instant grat sales from album pre-orders, as far as I know almost every other worldwide chart did - instead of discrediting instant grats and now that Apple can count them, all of a sudden change the rule, neglecting previously ruled out instant grats

Thanks to this mess DWUW will be looked back on as the underperforming single when it actually did very well but the OCC's rule discredited that

Why should every album have ALL of it's instant grats eligable (not including individual purchases) though? They are deducted from the price of the album and forced into people's iTunes library earlier than the album release. Those sales should ONLY count towards the album.

Tbh, I never really agreed with the first instant grat being counted either, if sales can't be reported properly then surely that's where this 'fractional figures' business comes in?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:08 PM