BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Khan sparks outrage by increasing London fares,charging kids
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
crazy chris
post May 15 2020, 01:06 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53
Including axing free travel for kids. ohmy.gif That's outrageous. And you said Boris was bad! Sooner he's booted out the better but has a free extra year. mad.gif

From The Sun.

"SADIQ Khan sparked outrage today by announcing plans to hike London's congestion charge and increase fares for commuters and schoolkids - after his multi-billion bailout from the Government.

In a double dose of bad news, the Mayor announced plans to whack up the charges for vehicles driving in central London from June, and commuters travelling will face higher costs in the coming months too.

Free travel for 1.5 million London schoolchildren will be temporarily axed, the Evening Standard reported.

Fares are set to be hiked by one percent above inflation - around 2.5 per cent. That will add an extra £36 a year onto a monthly travel card.

And the congestion charge will go up from £11.50 to £15 from June 1st, and the hours it will apply will be extended, the Mayor confirmed.

It's currently only applied between 7am and 6pm on a week day, but will be extended to 10pm and run seven days a week.

The 30 per cent hike will particularly hit white van man and other tradespeople who have to travel around the capital for work.

But the Mayor blamed the Government for forcing him to act - saying the £1.6billion bailout was the "only deal on the table".

And members of the public reacted angrily online.

"Pathetic!" one person tweeted at the Mayor.

Another responded: "I think it's time London had a new mayor."

"This will totally mess me up when I'm told to go back to work soon. Brilliant," one said.

Someone else tweeted: "I can honestly say I don’t know one person that thinks he’s doing a good job, if the job involved how many selfies and freebies can be taken he’d be the best we’ve ever had."

He said that all NHS and care home workers will be reimbursed for any coronavirus-related journeys, including their commute.

But furious politicians lashed out at the news.

Tory MP Andrew Bridgen told MailOnline: "The Labour Mayor of London seems to be everything he can to sabotage the capital's economic recovery from the Covid-crisis.

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris: May 15 2020, 01:15 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post May 15 2020, 03:29 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
TfL's income has almost dried up over the last couple months meaning that they are close to breaking their legal obligations. The government (led by your mate) has ordered them to replenish their reserves asap. How are they meant to do that without increasing fares, particularly at a time when capacity is still severely limited?

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post May 15 2020, 03:32 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
Yeah I mean the alternative is for all TFL services to grind to a halt, I'm sure that would be met with more criticism. So can't blame him for raising prices imo.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post May 15 2020, 04:07 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030
It's not just Khan to blame but the government who have set the terms for the bail out. I can see why it's being done but the way it's been done is wrong. A lot of people I know are driving into London currently to avoid public transport to get to work. The government even advised avoiding public transport and to drive where possible. Yet now they reintroduce the congestion charge, which makes driving more expensive than getting the train.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post May 15 2020, 04:13 PM
Post #5
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
It's a method to throw him under the double decker bus - you can tell that from their response!

+Quote this post
Harve
post May 15 2020, 04:34 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718
Lmao that headline.

The terms of the bailout are the worst kind of politicking. The Tories disproportionately defunding services that are under the responsibility of non-Tory devolved/local governments, affecting the daily lives of everyone just so they can go 'look at how badly Labour/SNP perform [when stripped of all their resources]!' has been a common theme for all Tory brands we've seen over the last ten years.

TfL hasn't received money from the central government to cover operating costs since Sadiq Khan was elected, coincidentally. Zero government funding is unknown in Europe, and you only have to look at the quality of public transport in non-New York American cities to see what happens when this is the case. All successful commuter transport networks operate at a loss and the consensus is that this is fine because having functional public infrastructure stimulates the economy. That it's survived this long and has taken a pandemic for TfL to collapse is something of a miracle.

This post has been edited by Harve: May 15 2020, 04:38 PM

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post May 15 2020, 05:06 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I'm affected too. sad.gif Free travel for old and disabled people with Over 60's Oysters and Freedom Passes will be abolished at peak-time. From Jan. I got an Over 60's Oyster for free travel on buses and tubes for £20 a year but now it'll be off-peak only otherwise normal fare applies. So I'll just travel off-peak on buses occasionally but not planning to use tubes for a long time anyway. Under 16's will now pay fares too meaning thousands paying to get to school.

Bus fares have been suspended during the lockdown as passengers have had to use the middle doors only and there are only card readers at the front.

Congestion charge re-starts on Monday 18th.

Part of the problem, as they've just said on London Tonight, is that Khan froze charges for four years, since he came in to office. Seemed great but now we're going to pay for it. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris: May 15 2020, 05:15 PM

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post May 15 2020, 05:17 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(Crazy Chris @ May 15 2020, 06:06 PM) *
I'm affected too. sad.gif Free travel for old and disabled people with Over 60's Oysters and Freedom Passes will be abolished at peak-time. From Jan. I got an Over 60's Oyster for free travel on buses and tubes for £20 a year but now it'll be off-peak only otherwise normal fare applies. So I'll just travel off-peak on buses occasionally but not planning to use tubes for a long time anyway. Under 16's will now pay fares too meaning thousands paying to get to school.

Bus fares have been suspended during the lockdown as passengers have had to use the middle doors only and there are only card readers at the front.

Congestion charge re-starts on Monday 18th.

Part of the problem, as they've just said on London Tonight, is that Khan froze charges for four years, since he came in to office. Seemed great but now we're going to pay for it. sad.gif

Hardly. Fares are going up by 2.5%. That's a 2.5% increase over for years, i.e. well below inflation.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post May 15 2020, 05:17 PM
Post #9
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
The Sun outraged at Sadiq Khan, there's a surprise.

This post has been edited by J00psyMethyd: May 15 2020, 05:17 PM

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post May 15 2020, 05:20 PM
Post #10
Group icon
QUOTE(Crazy Chris @ May 15 2020, 06:06 PM) *
I'm affected too. sad.gif Free travel for old and disabled people with Over 60's Oysters and Freedom Passes will be abolished at peak-time.

...did you miss the pandemic on? This is specifically to discourage people like you who are more at risk from travelling when public transport is busiest.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post May 15 2020, 08:10 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(J00psyMethyd @ May 15 2020, 06:17 PM) *
The Sun outraged at Sadiq Khan, there's a surprise.

All Londoners are outraged. He won't be re-elected next May.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post May 15 2020, 08:16 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(J00psyMethyd @ May 15 2020, 06:20 PM) *
...did you miss the pandemic on? This is specifically to discourage people like you who are more at risk from travelling when public transport is busiest.

No it's purely and simply to make money. What about making under 18's pay fares then? Having to pay to get to school. rolleyes.gif

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post May 16 2020, 11:28 AM
Post #13
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
QUOTE(Crazy Chris @ May 15 2020, 09:10 PM) *
All Londoners are outraged. He won't be re-elected next May.

So who do you think is going to be elected? Shaun Bailey? Lol.

QUOTE(Crazy Chris @ May 15 2020, 09:16 PM) *
No it's purely and simply to make money. What about making under 18's pay fares then? Having to pay to get to school. rolleyes.gif

I didn't go to school in London, and when I started secondary school 13 years ago, my bus fare was £1.05 each way. Over the years it went up gradually and was about £1.50 by the time I left school I think. So back in 2007 it was already higher than the 75p that London schoolkids will now need to pay TEMPORARILY laugh.gif Those in London have it very lucky and perhaps it will decrease crowding on some buses by encouraging kids who catch a bus for just a couple of stops because it's free, to walk, and y'know, help the ability to socially distance

+Quote this post
Klaus
post May 16 2020, 11:38 AM
Post #14
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

It's almost as if it doesn't happen anywhere else

+Quote this post
T Boy
post May 16 2020, 11:40 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
Yeah our kids pay more than that to use a school bus and we’re nowhere near London.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post May 16 2020, 11:52 AM
Post #16
Group icon

IF schools open again which is currently a big if.

+Quote this post
Harve
post May 16 2020, 12:04 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718
QUOTE(Crazy Chris @ May 15 2020, 08:16 PM) *
No it's purely and simply to make money.

Yes, when your government cuts funding to 0 then this is exactly what fares are for.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post May 16 2020, 01:11 PM
Post #18
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
QUOTE(J00psyMethyd @ May 16 2020, 12:52 PM) *
IF schools open again which is currently a big if.

Schools will open again.

But yes I totally agree, the Government did make Khan agree to a questionable deal. I guess the sceptics will say it would be try and push a Conservative mayor next year, I don't doubt that to hold some truth. The problem is Londerners are going to find it hard to gain sympathy from the rest of the country.

+Quote this post
Silas
post May 16 2020, 03:53 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
Fares in London are already far better value than anywhere else in the country.

No one outside the south east will have even a shred of sympathy for londoners paying 2,5% more. The fare rise last year in Greater Manchester was far higher for Metrolink (a zero public subsidies system and expensive as f***) and the fare rise this year in Berlin averaged out at higher than that.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post May 16 2020, 04:25 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Quarantilas @ May 16 2020, 04:53 PM) *
Fares in London are already far better value than anywhere else in the country.

No one outside the south east will have even a shred of sympathy for londoners paying 2,5% more. T

Am not really against that as fares haven't risen whilst Khan's been in office. Introducing the CC to weekends though will be a blow to families going in to London to the parks and attractions once they re-open. Also the fact that over 60's, like me, and more importantly all disabled with Freedom passes, will have to pay at peak times. I'll just wait until after 9.30.

BTW hadn't read that the child fare would be 75p. Is that for all under 18's? Not too bad. Imagine the first day though, half the kids won't have any money on their Oyster. Will the drivers turn them off the buses or not?

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris: May 16 2020, 04:29 PM

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:11 AM