BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> How do your friends react to you for been a chart geek
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mart!n
post 5th November 2020, 10:42 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
I just thought I put it out there laugh.gif

Most of the time I get strange responses, like what does it involve, and I have to explain that I love music charts, some find it interesting, others nah , it sounds boring laugh.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 5th November 2020, 10:43 PM
Post #2
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161
They don't know laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 5th November 2020, 10:43 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
They just think I’m eccentric. Most of my mates have random hobbies too though so people are accepting mainly

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 5th November 2020, 10:51 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155
QUOTE(Andrew. @ Nov 5 2020, 10:43 PM) *
They don't know laugh.gif

This - it’s not something I would discuss with non Chart friends as they would have no clue or interest laugh.gif

+Quote this post
danG
post 5th November 2020, 11:17 PM
Post #5
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
friends? laugh.gif

but yeah I don't tell anyone outside this forum.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 5th November 2020, 11:19 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
Sometimes I'll blurt out a random chart fact about a song (usually if I've had a drink or two) and I'll get "How do you know that?" in response. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Mangø
post 5th November 2020, 11:20 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151
^Yeah, same. None of my mates know anything about this forum, it feels like this big dirty secret I'm keeping, even though it's nothing of the sort laugh.gif it's just something that wouldn't really interest them.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 5th November 2020, 11:22 PM
Post #8
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
My non-forum friends... I can think of two who I sometimes talk to about chart related things, but only because they have more than a passing interest in music artists as well. They don't deeply care about the charts, but they still humour me if I talk about it kink.gif

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 5th November 2020, 11:22 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
Try explaining to people how streaming is represented these days lol. Also gives you a chance to correct people’s usually mistaken generalisations that The Pogues for example never got to number one. My dad and sister ‘assumed’ it had but their face when I told them Pet Shop Boys won the day in December 1987!

This post has been edited by Steve201: 5th November 2020, 11:24 PM

+Quote this post
777666jason
post 5th November 2020, 11:25 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 22,687
QUOTE(danvember @ Nov 5 2020, 11:17 PM) *
friends? laugh.gif.

Thinking same what's friends blink.gif

But tbf yeah trying to explain charts to anyone easier just to let them believe the bigtoo40

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 5th November 2020, 11:37 PM
Post #11
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161
Whenever the charts/popular songs come up with my friends I have to bite my tongue not correcting them on things :’) A few of my friends are on stan twitter so know a bit more but I doubt anyone I know comes near my interest oop. Idk why I’m interested, I just love pop music and following where my fave artists get on the chart which I guess leads to a more general interest. I feel like most of my friends would be judgemental if they knew how much time I spent on here (too much) ph34r.gif

+Quote this post
oof
post 6th November 2020, 12:20 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 86,345
My friends mostly know me as knowing lots of random stuff about random things so don't even bother questioning me when I bring anything chart related up tbh.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 6th November 2020, 12:51 AM
Post #13
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
A lot of my friends like it but they’re not interested. They ask me things usually if they’re doing a quiz or something but I’ve never like hidden it or acted like it’s not an interest of mine like I mention it pretty much straight away that it’s a interest of mine but I don’t actively discuss it with them. I wish I had friends in real life who had that interest bc I don’t see it as being too different to a group of lads chatting about how well their football team is doing.

I mean certain things I wouldn’t really ask my non chart follower friends like I wouldn’t be asking them this week “so who do you think will sell more this week in the albums Kylie or Little Mix” but a few things I can sort of talk about with them. I’m normally that friend as well who will send them links of new releases etc too or let them know if something is coming so they like me in that respect.

A few times it is hard to not get too invested though. Like say if they play the big top 40 and assume that song is #1 or the iTunes #1 is but I’ve been better at letting that just slide. I know the real #1 and they can believe whatever they like laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 6th November 2020, 01:14 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804
I don't really mention much about chart specifics if a song comes on radio or anything nowadays but I used to be all too geeky with songs peaks, how long they were around etc especially on the phone to my dad telling him the top 40 because he did seem interested being into quiz books and the like but there's a line of going overboard and to the point where they are laughing at you. Same with friends although to be fair I don't have friends that discuss the charts, we talk about songs here and there obviously but no convo about which song is number 1 comes up because their interests are into other stuff mainly non music. I don't think it's a bad thing on the whole and shouldn't be treated as aguilty secret unless it spills over to being so know it all and precise to the point you are not interesting them whether it friends OR family. It does depend on whether they like a particular song in the charts tbh.

This post has been edited by Rob S~: 6th November 2020, 01:36 AM

+Quote this post
chrissmith276
post 6th November 2020, 03:23 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 18,005
Haha they don't know the full extent but they are always impressed when I do well in quizzes, especially beat the intro or lyric rounds!

+Quote this post
JulianT
post 6th November 2020, 10:19 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705
So glad to hear it's not just me who keeps it under wraps with others and feels oddly guilty about it! laugh.gif

Occasionally it slightly comes out when I do well in a quiz music round, but I can generally just pass that off as being interested in music. Sometimes there's a question like "Guess the year" and they play something (eg Eiffel 65) and I might instantly know it was 1999, and people ask how I know that. It's one thing knowing the song and roughly when it was out but how would you immediately know the exact year - in reality it's all because of my chart knowledge.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 6th November 2020, 10:53 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
I've vaguely alluded to a 'music forum' or 'chart forum' before (I met my boyfriend on here so naturally it has come up in conversation over the years...) but never specifically mentioned the word 'BuzzJack' because I don't want posts I've made since age 13 to be stalked laugh.gif As for music and chart geekery itself, I have no problems expressing that interest, I embrace that side of me when it's relevant and people are impressed by it! Especially at work where I'm the baby of the team at 23 - someone twice my age was surprised that I had even heard of '9pm (Til I Come)' let alone knew that it got to #1, off the top of my head laugh.gif Sadly, the chart feels like way less of an event than it once was, so I don't really go out of my way to mention it much. But I don't feel embarrassed about my love for it when challenged on knowledge and never have done - in both school and Uni my friends knew that I was a chart nerd and they found it interesting. Maybe it would be different if I'd had some kind of superiority complex about it or brought it up all the time, but I'd like to think hasn't been the case.

+Quote this post
Monzo
post 6th November 2020, 11:01 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 349
Sometimes I talk about it, but they don't really care. I guess it's kind of the same with deluxe editions. My brother is totally into deluxe editions. He tells me what's coming, what's missing on a certain deluxe, fans reaction... I listen to him, even give some feedback, sometimes he wants to know how certain deluxe edition are doing in the charts. Friends never ask me how this or that song / album is doing and I don't bother them with it.

+Quote this post
TimConArtist
post 6th November 2020, 11:04 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Tim the Con Artist
User: 17,214
I often talk about it on my radio show and admit I'm a chart nerd. It's better to have a passion for something than no passion at all.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 9th November 2020, 03:18 AM
Post #20
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
Only a few friends know I have any interest at all in the charts, let alone a huge interest in it. A few more know that I like music trivia or that I'm good at remembering what year a song was from. But to answer the question, I don't tell people that I'm a chart geek because I don't want to know how they'd react laugh.gif

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 12:48 PM