BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> OPINIONSNEY: 'Can't Make You Love Me', From the album: 'Oops! I Did It Again'
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post 12th June 2016, 12:01 AM
Post #1
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Welcome to a new "thing". Hopefully this will keep discussion up and going whilst we enter the "quieter" periods of an era. And also in the hope that it brings some attention to the tracks no one else seems to talk too much about (despite being fondly remembered).

So for week 1, we have an album track from the monster album, 'Oops! I Did It Again'. 'Can't Make You Love Me'

Basically, what are YOUR opinions on the song?

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 12th June 2016, 12:56 AM
Post #2
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67

AMAZING, FLAWLESS, LOVE IT.

It's early noughties pop at its finest. It should have been a single instead of 'DLMBTLTK', that or 'Where Are You Now'.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 12th June 2016, 12:05 PM
Post #3
Group icon

I agree. Well, I think they could have got away with releasing it as a "Double A-Side" with 'Where Are You Now?' instead of DLMBTLTK.

The production is very 'Stronger'-esque and would have ensured it was a hit I reckon. So radio friendly and is one of the obvious single choices left from that album.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 12th June 2016, 03:34 PM
Post #4
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

This still gets played on the radio station where I work. And yes it's a great track and probably ranks as my fave non-Britney single (apart from Breathe On Me). This should have been the 4th single from 'Oops I Did It Again' and I think that this is far more remembered than 'DLMBTLTK' ever was.

Upon buying the album (the exact day it came out), I was so eager to get home and listen to it and this song was one of my top 5 picks for single releases, of course the title track was already released and guessed right about 'Stronger' and 'Lucky', even predicted 'Where Are You Now', 'What U See (Is What U Get)' as possible choices. I even liked her cover of 'I Can't Get No (Satisfaction)', but I was a lot younger back then and didn't know any better.

'Can't Make You Love Me', I still love it to this day and even have it on my Britney playlist. The first line "I'm just a girl with a crush on you" got me hooked and just loved the vibe and production of it all and imagine what kind of music video it could have had, if it did get released.

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post 12th June 2016, 09:05 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 5,392

one of the highlights from Oops, that album has so mayn jams!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 13th June 2016, 06:04 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(Tyler @ Jun 12 2016, 01:56 AM) *
AMAZING, FLAWLESS, LOVE IT.

It's early noughties pop at its finest. It should have been a single instead of 'DLMBTLTK', that or 'Where Are You Now'.

I'm in full agreement with this!

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 13th June 2016, 06:16 PM
Post #7
Group icon

You forget how EUPHORIC that chorus is! That instrumental break as well, imagine Britney from 2000 SLAYING that synced choreography. It would have been perfect music video, imagine it being a continuation of the 'Lucky' video. Such a missed opportunity! She does love her ballads though, so that's why DLMBTLTK was released, I'm guessing.

1. Oops
2. Lucky
3. Stronger
4. Can't Make You Love Me
5. Where Are You Now

Those last two singles would have easily gone top ten in the UK and top 20 in the US. Would have probably extended her sales another 5m WW, for the album.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 14th June 2016, 04:37 PM
Post #8
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Just heard this for the first time and I LOVE it. That production reminds me of the Stop Remix of (You Drive Me) Crazy in parts, as well as Stronger as Jonjo said! Definitely should've been a single instead of DLMBTLTK, although maybe they wanted some diversity with that choice idk.

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post 14th June 2016, 09:26 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 5,392

Oops singles should have been

1 Oops!...I Did It Again
2 Stronger
3 Can't Make You Love Me
4 One Kiss From You
5 When Your Eyes Say It
6 Where Are You Now

+Quote this post
Cremey
post 14th June 2016, 09:46 PM
Post #10
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089

Definitely one of the best from Oops!
The chorus is sublime and the 'I'm just a girl with a crush on you' part is such an earworm.

And that middle 8...
'Can't make you...make you love me baybay' heart.gif

This post has been edited by Cremey: 14th June 2016, 09:47 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 15th June 2016, 05:06 PM
Post #11
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

QUOTE(Tyler @ Jun 13 2016, 07:16 PM) *
You forget how EUPHORIC that chorus is! That instrumental break as well, imagine Britney from 2000 SLAYING that synced choreography. It would have been perfect music video, imagine it being a continuation of the 'Lucky' video. Such a missed opportunity! She does love her ballads though, so that's why DLMBTLTK was released, I'm guessing.

1. Oops
2. Lucky
3. Stronger
4. Can't Make You Love Me
5. Where Are You Now

Those last two singles would have easily gone top ten in the UK and top 20 in the US. Would have probably extended her sales another 5m WW, for the album.

That's funny these would have been my single choices as well, I definitely think that 'CMYLM' would have fared a lot better chart wise worldwide, In the UK it could extended her run of top 10 hits, and it would have definitely performed better in the USA than 'DLMBTLTK' and given her another entry on the US Top 100.

But the only slight change I would make personally is swapping 'Lucky' with 'Stronger', I think the latter would have gained a higher chart peak in the UK if released as the follow up to 'Oops' and then have 'Lucky' released towards the end of the year. Or another possibility is having 'CMYLM' as a double a-side with 'WAYN', now that would have ended the era with a bang, and both could have been tested for radio play in the USA to see which one would fare better.

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 15th June 2016, 08:55 PM
Post #12
Group icon

QUOTE(SamJudd @ Jun 15 2016, 01:06 PM) *
That's funny these would have been my single choices as well, I definitely think that 'CMYLM' would have fared a lot better chart wise worldwide, In the UK it could extended her run of top 10 hits, and it would have definitely performed better in the USA than 'DLMBTLTK' and given her another entry on the US Top 100.

But the only slight change I would make personally is swapping 'Lucky' with 'Stronger', I think the latter would have gained a higher chart peak in the UK if released as the follow up to 'Oops' and then have 'Lucky' released towards the end of the year. Or another possibility is having 'CMYLM' as a double a-side with 'WAYN', now that would have ended the era with a bang, and both could have been tested for radio play in the USA to see which one would fare better.

I agree with that, 'Stronger' would have faired even better as a Summer single. I do think that 'Lucky' is cherished a lot more by the general public and fans in comparison to all her singles off that album. It is just perfect.

+Quote this post
post 16th June 2016, 02:22 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I do have a soft spot for DLMBTLTK, but this would have been perfect. Lucky had already filled the ballad criteria. Not at Nick F1 suggesting she released 6 singles and Lucky not being one of them. It's amazing and iconic!

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 16th June 2016, 02:32 PM
Post #14
Group icon

QUOTE(Joe. @ Jun 16 2016, 10:22 AM) *
I do have a soft spot for DLMBTLTK, but this would have been perfect. Lucky had already filled the ballad criteria. Not at Nick F1 suggesting she released 6 singles and Lucky not being one of them. It's amazing and iconic!

Idk how I missed that, but, consider me offended.

When Your Eyes Say It? One Kiss From You? BLEGH TRACKS TBH.

This post has been edited by Tyler: 16th June 2016, 02:32 PM

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post 16th June 2016, 10:25 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
User: 421

DLMBTLTK killed the momentum, but either way the 4th single instead of it would've been "When Your Eyes Say It" apparently, which I do love too.

This is probably my favorite album track from this iconic album, along with One Kiss From You.

Speaking of iconic, Oops is now VEVO certified smile.gif

This post has been edited by Euphorique: 16th June 2016, 10:25 PM

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 16th June 2016, 10:28 PM
Post #16
Group icon

QUOTE(Euphorique @ Jun 16 2016, 11:25 PM) *
DLMBTLTK killed the momentum, but either way the 4th single instead of it would've been "When Your Eyes Say It" apparently, which I do love too.

This is probably my favorite album track from this iconic album, along with One Kiss From You.

Speaking of iconic, Oops is now VEVO certified smile.gif
Ooh. That's excellent news <3

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 07:17 PM