BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Energy costs set to increase by 54%
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Steve201
post 10th February 2022, 01:45 AM
Post #41
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

This has been one of the mildest most boring winters of the century!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 14th February 2022, 06:29 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

Energy costs may increase further if there is a war in Ukraine.

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post 5th March 2022, 12:11 AM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059

Yikes. Just got my email from British Gas informing me of an increase of £169 annually for electricity and £408 for my gas. Standing charges have jumped from 28p a day to 54p a day.

How are people going to afford this? I'm lucky that my other bills are manageable (for now) and I live alone in a council flat but I must admit this has got me pretty anxious and concerned for my family members who are already struggling. How can a standing charge rise so much?

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 5th March 2022, 12:39 AM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

QUOTE(shadow2009 @ Mar 5 2022, 12:11 AM) *
Yikes. Just got my email from British Gas informing me of an increase of £169 annually for electricity and £408 for my gas. Standing charges have jumped from 28p a day to 54p a day.

How are people going to afford this?
I'm lucky that my other bills are manageable (for now) and I live alone in a council flat but I must admit this has got me pretty anxious and concerned for my family members who are already struggling. How can a standing charge rise so much?

A lot likely won't be able to and will have to chose between eating or warmth. sad.gif The scary thing is that the energy cap is likely to increase dramatically further in October due to even more increases in the price of Oil/Gas.

Inflation is likely to go well beyond what was initially predicted. I remember it was forecast to peak at 5%, then 7%, now it looks like it may even hit 10% or higher. The war in Ukraine is not only effecting fuel/gas prices but also food.

This post has been edited by Envoirment: 5th March 2022, 01:01 AM

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 5th March 2022, 12:49 AM
Post #45
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(Envoirment @ Mar 5 2022, 12:39 AM) *
A lot likely won't be able to and will gave to chose between eating or warmth. sad.gif The scary thing is that the energy cap is likely to increase dramatically further in October due to even more increases in the price of Oil/Gas.

Inflation is likely to go well beyond what was initially predicted. I remember it was forecast to peak at 5%, then 7%, now it looks like it may even hit 10% or higher. The war in Ukraine is not only effecting fuel/gas prices but also food.

It's dire straits and the Government are still pressing ahead with this stupid tax rise instead of delaying for a year. The penny is really going to be pinched for lots of people come Winter 2022.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 5th March 2022, 12:58 AM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

I pay my fuel as a fixed service charge on my rent in my flat and haven’t heard of an increase yet but wow it will come soon. And big - probably manageable in my case as spread over many tenants but impossible for struggling families.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 5th March 2022, 09:04 AM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

My gas bill will double (it's been high for years because of elderly parents needing to stay warm all day long) and electric going up 20%. My smart-meter stopped working years ago (and I didnt bother checking bills cos, "smart" meter and direct debit payments) I found out after hearing of price checks I thought I'd check what I was using vs cut-off point for price rise. Turns out British gas just charged monthly rental on what the computer said was zero use. So regardless of price rises the direct debit will rise to pay off thousands in unpaid electric use. IT systems in large companies are crap. They can't flag high gas use and zero electric use in the same property as an issue.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 5th March 2022, 03:56 PM
Post #48
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

QUOTE(Envoirment @ Mar 5 2022, 12:39 AM) *
A lot likely won't be able to and will have to chose between eating or warmth. sad.gif The scary thing is that the energy cap is likely to increase dramatically further in October due to even more increases in the price of Oil/Gas.

Think in the 70s inflation got as high as 26% but obviously from a lot lower starting point!

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 5th March 2022, 03:58 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Got oil last weekend 500l for £355 which is expensive, same place has it at £545 for 500l, they are robbing bast*rds imo!

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 14th March 2022, 08:46 PM
Post #50
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Nigel Farage's solution to the energy price crisis is to...

*checks notes*

... make us EVEN MORE heavily dependent on a fuel source wholly responsible for the massive increase in prices.

Thankfully there are some sane voices in this debate (https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/12/tories-russian-energy-cheap-green-insulating-homes-wind-solar-boris-johnson) but the arguments need to be made now and convincingly. I wish we had some competent leaders who could actively lead and press on this issue but I fear we'll slide into a load of populist right wing nonsense..

+Quote this post
Smint
post 14th March 2022, 11:16 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

One would hope there would be better opposition to this and the public not so easily fooled as they were with Brexit. And that Farage is not as popular as he once was and people see him as a poisonous Putin loving racist asshole. I just can’t see this shit getting over 50% in a vote.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 14th March 2022, 11:20 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Eternal grifter, looking for relevance and money. He is vile, too, and massivley to blame for the cost of living crisis, with his hard brexshit.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 15th March 2022, 06:48 AM
Post #53
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Garage and Tick are up to their eyeballs in dirty Russian money. If I were them I’d stfu and sit the f*** down. But then again I would also have them charged with treason 🤷🏼‍♂️

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 15th March 2022, 05:56 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Anyone who still thinks Farage/Brexit/Tories/Trump/republicans havent been licking Putin's arse for years with all the evidence that it's been one huge mutual jack support group must be a bit dense or cheering them on from the background....

So hopefully everyone fooled by Farage will at the very least be less inclined to publicly support him now. Especially as many of them will be struggling to pay bills despite all his promises of a wonderful utopia....

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 16th March 2022, 01:10 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Well the energy crisis looks set to spiral. Petrol & diesel are now at record costs and some experts are predicting a further 40% rise in energy price cap later this year which will have a devastating impact on businesses and people on low to average incomes. Yet, the Tories are saying we have just come out of one crisis and they cannot protect most consumers from the rises ahead so basically they aren’t going to do anything to address the situation which is appalling. There are many things they could consider such as a windfall tax, cutting VAT on energy bills and reducing tax on petrol / diesel. This clearly shows they don’t care or have no empathy for the impact this will have on many peoples lives.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 1st April 2022, 10:19 PM
Post #56
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

The Tories are lucky the next GE is in 2024, come October it is going to be carnage. Rishi's dreams of becoming PM are slowly going to drift away!

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 2nd April 2022, 12:54 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Rooney @ Apr 1 2022, 11:19 PM) *
The Tories are lucky the next GE is in 2024, come October it is going to be carnage. Rishi's dreams of becoming PM are slowly going to drift away!

I suspect things are going to get a lot worse before the next general election. Energy prices look like increasing further and inflation appears to be on an upward trend. Yes, some of the public may have forgotten about partygate by then but the cost of living crisis will be very much an issue. I think they will lose their entire majority and hopefully be out. We need to give a Labour government a real chance to make a difference. The tories don’t care and they have proved that over their shambolic handling of covid and the complete lack of support offered over the energy crisis.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 5th April 2022, 08:12 AM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

If prices were going up 54% then how come SSE has emailed me to say their rate per kw for gas is now 7.51p, up from 3.95p. Seen others saying the same thing. Surely they can't do that. British Gas 7.17p. Am gong to contact the ombudsman.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 6th April 2022, 11:02 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(cider man @ Apr 5 2022, 09:12 AM) *
If prices were going up 54% then how come SSE has emailed me to say their rate per kw for gas is now 7.51p, up from 3.95p. Seen others saying the same thing. Surely they can't do that. British Gas 7.17p. Am gong to contact the ombudsman.

I don’t understand how it works properly but obviously it will be the unit cost and standing charge.

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post 7th April 2022, 11:10 AM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059

Standing charges rising is disgusting. I read that it was raised to cover the cost of suppliers going bust, but you know that they'll never be decreased back to their original charges afterwards.

+Quote this post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 29th April 2024, 05:27 PM