BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RESULTS: Buzzjack's Favourite Old School Urban Anthem
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ML Hammer95
post 7th September 2018, 05:37 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,265

Welcome to the Results thread of Buzzjack's Favourite Old School Anthem! The finalists will be revealed in reverse order, starting from no. 40 all the way to the winner at no. 1.

First set will be published soon, please feel free to speculate and debate!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 8th September 2018, 01:27 PM
Post #2
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Gutted I didn't manage to vote for this as I feel like I might've changed the results :')

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 8th September 2018, 01:33 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614

It's been so long I forget what I'm rooting for, may the best 'street' poetry over a backing beat win! cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Theonix
post 8th September 2018, 05:51 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661

"Crazy in Love" to win! cheer.gif

+Quote this post
coi
post 8th September 2018, 05:58 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

Out of those with any realistic chance of winning, I'm rooting for Eminem's Lose Yourself or Kanye West's Stronger

This post has been edited by coi: 8th September 2018, 05:58 PM

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 9th September 2018, 07:12 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

40. KANYE WEST - POWER (2010) - 60 PTS

The fact this has come last in no way reflects the strength of this song - I would go so far as to say this is probably one of Kanye West's best remembered songs. Critically acclaimed, 'Power' was Kanye's comeback single after the experimental '808s & Heartbreak album' and the controversial incident with Taylor Swift at the 2009 MTV Music Video Awards. Despite only charting at #36 in the UK upon release, 'Power' re-entered the chart the following year and was voted by many publications (including Pitchfork and Rolling Stone) as one of the best songs released in 2010. Perfect workout music and a song that has aged very well - a strong start to this countdown!

39. DESTINY'S CHILD - BOOTYLICIOUS (2001) - 61 PTS

Long before I knew what this song was called I was familiar with the refrain 'I don't think you're ready for this jelly' - a sure sign of this song's crossover into popular culture! Released in the summer of 2001 during a period of sustained commercial success for Destiny's Child, this song charted at #2 in the UK and the term 'bootylicious' became so ingrained culturally that the term entered the Oxford English dictionary in 2004! Destiny's Child have a rich catalogue of R&B/Pop classics and this is a song that still goes off in the right setting.

38. NINA SKY FT. JABBA - MOVE YA BODY (2004) - 64 PTS

There is something about one-hit wonders that effortlessly transport you back in time, arguably more effectively than artists with multiple hits. Listening back now, 'Move Ya Body' is so very mid 00s with the dancehall inspired beat and monotone female vocals that it could only have been a hit during this period - dancehall had enjoyed a commercial renaissance the previous year and DJs continue to mix this song alongside similar efforts by Lumidee and Rihanna ('Pon De Replay'). However, this doesn't make this song any less enjoyable and is very effective record that has stood the test of time sufficiently to be included in this countdown. Until researching the song for this countdown I didn't know that Nina Sky are actually twin sisters, which was interesting to note.

+Quote this post
coi
post 9th September 2018, 07:30 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

Nice to see Destiny’s Child out so early!

This post has been edited by ML Hammer95: 9th September 2018, 09:37 AM
Reason for edit: points out now corrected error, didnt want to ruin surprise of countdown

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 9th September 2018, 10:25 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

37. MISSY ELLIOTT - WORK IT (2002) - 65 PTS

I've always thought of this as a brilliant song, but not one of my favourites - a stance seemingly shared by many of you judging by it's place in this countdown. While Timbaland provides a signature eccentric beat, the main point of interest is how the lyric "I put my thing down, flip it, and reverse it" is repeated backwards in the chorus which I thought for many years was gibberish but is more accurately a sign of genius. The video pays tribute to the recently deceased Aaliyah and Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes and both video and song garnered widespread critical acclaim. The lowest of three Missy Elliott entries here, this is still a indisputable classic of early 00s hip hop.

36. JA RULE FT. ASHANTI - ALWAYS ON TIME (2002) - 67 PTS

Murder Inc. songs were everywhere in 2002. Tracks such as 'Foolish', 'What's Luv' & 'Livin' It Up' all sound essentially 2002 while remaining widely loved to this day, but I believe 'Always On Time' has become the definitive Murder Inc. song in the eyes of many. The debut of Ashanti, the song became a worldwide hit at the start of the year and listening now it is easy to hear its charms. Ashanti's smooth chorus contrasts well with Ja Rule's more rugged raps to create a song that still works in a variety of settings to this day.

35. MISSY ELLIOTT FT. CIARA & FATMAN SCOOP - LOSE CONTROL (2005) - 68 PTS

I fear my commentary will not do this song justice. It is clearly brilliant - unique, endearingly bonkers (evidenced by the appearance of Fatman Scoop) and clearly popular to this day. However, I have never been able to fully get into this song for unidentifiable reasons. I will admit that this sounded incredibly fresh in 2005, a time where commercial urban music was becoming stagnant which can easily be said about the state of urban music in 2018 too. Ciara was the hot feature in 2005 and it is to Missy Elliott's credit that she could create such an endearing hit that sounds so unconventional. The electro-R&B sound wasn't fully popularised until the release of 'SexyBack' the following year, but it is possible to hear its influence here alongside the popular crunk sound of the time.

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 10th September 2018, 07:27 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

34. CRAIG DAVID - 7 DAYS (2000) - 69 PTS

Frequently lampooned, but extremely well-known song so it's no surprise to see '7 Days' make the final. I personally prefer 'Fill Me In' from Craig David's early work but the strength of his debut album 'Born To Do It' and the nostalgia Craig David himself provokes was responsible for his (quite successful) comeback a few years ago. '7 Days' is a UK classic really, something you'll hear on Heart and 1Xtra and it remains an incredibly smooth and catchy ode to meeting someone and sparks flying. It must be said that the lyrics can be extremely cheesy but there is something endearing about '7 Days' and Craig David that enables both to rise above that.

33. EVE FT. GWEN STEFANI - LET ME BLOW YOUR MIND (2001) - 70 PTS

I'm actually surprised this didn't finish higher - it's a song that I still hear most nights I go out. Maybe that explains its relatively low placing here, as it arguably veers into overplayed territory. It can't be denied that it has aged extremely well though, the Dr. Dre production complimenting Eve's raps perfectly but the real hook here is Gwen Stefani's chorus which will now be stuck in my head for the rest of the day. I would say this isn't a song that grabs you on first listen. but rather burrows its way into your brain upon repeated exposure (which honestly is the best type of song) and remains a stellar example of early 00s hip hop.

32. CIARA FT. MISSY ELLIOTT - 1,2 STEP (2005) - 71 PTS

Crunk music hasn't aged particularly well in my opinion. As previously discussed, it formed an important link between the traditional hip-hop productions of the early 00s and the electro influences of the latter part of the decade but consequently sounds very of-its-time. This song is a prime example of that, released during Ciara's imperial phase and following her #1 hit 'Goodies'. That said, it is difficult to remain still listening to the funky beat of '1,2 Step' and Ciara's vocals work despite not being the greatest singer here. The presence of Missy Elliott does nothing to harm the song and the number of views on YouTube suggest this song remains extremely popular to this day. A track that is better than I remembered from the time.

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 10th September 2018, 05:26 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

31. JAY Z - 99 PROBLEMS (2004) - 73 PTS

This was meant to be Jay Z's last songs before retirement, but I guess he could hardly retire after this song received widespread acclaim and was one of the most discussed songs of the decade. Produced by Rick Rubin, this song discusses rap critics and more obviously police racism towards black people which I believe was based on Jay Z's experience in 90s New Jersey. A little known fact is that the famous refrain in the chorus ('I got 99 problems but the bitch ain't one') is actually aimed towards a police dog after the second verse. Anyway, this song charted at #12 in 2004, but has since become one of the most recognisable hip-hop songs of the decade. Certainly still packs a punch and is deserving of a place in this countdown.
(thank you coi for pointing out the error in the scoring that has bumped this song up a few places!)

30. SHAGGY - IT WASN'T ME (2001) - 76 PTS

No exaggeration to say this is one of the songs that defined the 00s - huge, huge huge. I can only say its relatively low placing is due to the inevitable overplay that songs like this fall victim too. Shaggy had a string of hits in the 90s, but this was his big pop breakthrough with 'It Wasn't Me' being a more R&B-leaning track than his earlier dancehall efforts. The biggest selling song of 2001, it remains a funky sing-a-long pop gem to this day and I would have thought almost everybody could sing this chorus.

29. NELLY FT. KELLY ROWLAND - DILEMMA (2002) - 79 PTS

Another era-defining song lands at #29 - this is actually one of the first songs I remember seeing on TV and hearing on the radio and instantly takes me back to the autumn of 2002. Originally 'Dilemma' was not supposed to be released as a single, but the reaction upon release of the album that year forced his label to bow to public pressure and thus the song quickly became ubiquitous. Important to remember too that this was Kelly Rowland's first feature away from Destiny's Child and the success of 'Dilemma' forced some to speculate that Rowland's solo career could eclipse that of Beyoncé (make of that what you will). I do love this song, bonafide classic and only wish this could have finished higher here.

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 13th September 2018, 07:47 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

28. SEAN PAUL - GET BUSY (2003) - 79 PTS (higher individual score)

This was the song that really saw Sean Paul consolidate in the mainstream - 'Gimme The Light' was a hit a few months but this was a huge success both here and in the US (a #1). I've personally always loved this song, it starts at a high tempo and throws you quickly into that addictive chorus. As an artist, Sean Paul is very marmite but this is pretty undeniable.

27. BLACK EYED PEAS - BOOM BOOM POW (2009) - 81 PTS

A song that is impeccably produced but leaves me feeling cold. The Black Eyed Peas have never really been cool, but they can be credited with making Guetta-pop unavoidable in 2009 and hearing this again takes me straight back to secondary school. At least it wasn't 'I Gotta Feeling' in this countdown, a song I truly cannot stand.

26. RIHANNA FT. DRAKE - WHAT'S MY NAME (2010) - 82 PTS

My least favourite Drake/Rihanna collaboration, but that says more about the strength of their back catalogue than anything else. The Jamaican influence here is welcome and works well while the chemistry between the two artists is palpable. A #1 both here and America, this takes a deserved place in the countdown.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 14th September 2018, 01:38 AM
Post #12
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

If I'd voted Gwen and Eve would be about ten spots higher :') or at least lapped everything up to What's My Name

Good songs all tho with exception of 99 Problems which I've always been irritated by. What genre even is that? It's more spoken word than rap.

Dilemma finishing shockingly low too, I'm guessing younger voters not going for it? Or just a pop swing. I swear if Beyonce wins this whole thing...

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 14th September 2018, 02:41 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

25. KANYE WEST FT. JAMIE FOXX - GOLD DIGGER (2005) - 87 PTS

Surprised this didn't finish higher, as it's probably the go-to party rap song for people of my age. Definitely stands out amongst Kanye's stacked back catalogue and was so huge it stuck around in the charts for over a year after its release. The interlope of Ray Charles samples manages to elevate the song and of course the song was responsible for introducing the phrase 'gold digger' into popular parlance. Absolute classic.

24. BRANDY & MONICA - THE BOY IS MINE (1998) - 88 PTS

The relative absence of 90s songs in the final was a slightly disappointing to me - it is probably a reflection of the Buzzjack demographic rather than deep preference for later tracks. That said, this has stood the test of time as a 90s R&B anthem. Obviously used by 99 Souls for mid-10s dance smash 'The Girl Is Mine', the original more than holds it own with a compelling duet between Brandy and Monica documenting the trials and tribulations of sharing a man. This all before the rise of internet dating too.

23. DIZZEE RASCAL FT. CALVIN HARRIS & CHROME - DANCE WIV ME (2008) - 89 PTS

Dizzee Rascal pre-2008 was an acclaimed grime artist, credited with the first mainstream wave of the genre spawning UK classics such as 'Fix Up Look Sharp' and 'I Luv U'. This was a departure from that sound, collaborating with then-upcoming producer Calvin Harris to create a four-week #1. Sounds a bit dated now, but must remind lots of people of their childhood explaining its higher than expected placement here. Alongside Wiley's 'Wearing My Rolex' also released that summer, this started a trend of UK rappers releasing pop songs over dance beats.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 14th September 2018, 03:06 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

These results so far aren't really going that well, large number of my faves already eliminated.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 14th September 2018, 03:20 PM
Post #15
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Surprised to see Dance Wiv Me that high up.

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 15th September 2018, 06:33 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Will have no internet until Wednesday, so the countdown is taking a breather. Here's the remaining songs:

Amerie - 1 Thing
Beyonce feat. Jay Z - Crazy in Love
Blu Cantrell feat. Sean Paul - Breathe
Cassie - Me & U
Coolio feat. L.V - Gangsta's Paradise
Eminem - Lose Yourself
Estelle feat. Kanye West - American Boy
Justin Timberlake - Like I Love You
Kanye West - Stronger
Kelis - Milkshake
Kelis - Trick Me
Kevin Lyttle - Turn Me On
M.I.A. - Paper Planes
Mary J Blige - Family Affair
Missy Elliott - Get Ur Freak On
Mis-Teeq - Scandalous
Nelly Furtado feat. Timbaland - Promiscuous
Outkast - Hey Ya
Outkast - Ms Jackson
Timbaland feat. Keri Wilson & DOE - The Way I Are
TLC - No Scrubs
Usher feat. Lil Jon & Ludacris - Yeah!

The next section contains a UK #1, a debut single and a late 90s anthem!

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 15th September 2018, 10:14 AM
Post #17
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

Hoping Ms Jackson is higher than Hey Ya

Paper Planes, Lose Yourself, & Crazy In Love should be Top 5 I think,on Buzzjack anyway laugh.gif Great to see Family Affair doing so well too

+Quote this post
Houdini
post 8th October 2018, 09:14 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725

Is this going to continue at some point?

+Quote this post
Rush
post 6th May 2020, 05:52 AM
Post #19
Group icon
wayback machine gif rescuer
User: 18,564

It's beyond irrelevant now, but I thought I'd count up the rest of the results for closure...

22. Usher feat. Lil Jon & Ludacris - Yeah! (90 points)
21. TLC - No Scrubs (92 points)
20. Justin Timberlake - Like I Love You (92 points)

(UK #1, debut single and late '90s anthem: check ✔)
('Like I Love You' wins the tie by having a +19, whereas 'No Scrubs' only went as high as... 2 +18s)

19. OutKast - Hey Ya! (93 points)
18. Kelis - Trick Me (99 points)
17. Kevin Lyttle - Turn Me On (99 points)
16. Mis-Teeq - Scandalous (103 points)

('Ms. Jackson' and 'Milkshake' win the battles for their respective artists...)

15. Nelly Furtado feat. Timbaland - Promiscuous (104 points)
14. Kelis - Milkshake (108 points)
13. Mary J. Blige - Family Affair (114 points)
12. Coolio feat. L.V. - Gangsta's Paradise (114 points)
11. Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z - Crazy In Love (119 points)

('Crazy In Love' is one of 2 songs to get 2 -1s, alongside 'Boom Boom Pow' - and both of them also got 2 +20s [very pleased with my 2018 self for having provided one of the +20s for the latter]. The only other song to get 2 +20s was 'POWER', which ranked at #40)
('Gangsta's Paradise' is the highest song that's not from the '00s, despite nominations having been open to anything pre-2013)

10. Missy Elliott - Get Ur Freak On (123 points)
9. M.I.A. - Paper Planes (124 points)
8. Estelle feat. Kanye West - American Boy (124 points)

('Get Ur Freak On' ranks as the highest by far of Missy Elliott's 3.5 songs that made the final, ahead of featured '1, 2 Step' at #32, Lose Control' at #35, and 'Work It' at #37)
(Estelle is the highest non-American artist apart from a featured Sean Paul, though that's a little ironic as 'American Boy' was a big US hit and said Sean Paul feature was not)

7. OutKast - Ms. Jackson (125 points)
6. Timbaland feat. Keri Hilson & D.O.E. - The Way I Are (138 points)
5. Kanye West - Stronger (139 points)

(Like Missy Elliott, Kanye also had 3 entries of his own and a feature, and 'Stronger' easily wins among the former, ahead of 'Gold Digger' at #25 and 'POWER' at #40)

4. Amerie - 1 Thing (152 points)
3. Eminem - Lose Yourself (160 points)

(So many massive songs here that '1 Thing' looks slightly 'obscure' in comparison, with 56 million Spotify plays compared to at least 144 million for every other song from #2 to #15)

2. Cassie - Me & U (163 points)

('Me & U' received the most votes, making it into 16/19 people's top 20s, though it didn't quite make anyone's +20...)

1. Blu Cantrell feat. Sean Paul - Breathe (175 points)

(...and was unable to topple 'Breathe', which reached #1 as of the 6th vote and remained there throughout, despite the last few voters pushing it considerably closer!)

(that 'Rap Video Version' in the title is sorely missing its accompanying 'feat. Sean Paul, Sean Paul & Sean Paul' sleep.gif)

Here are all the votes: (my number of points for 'Let Me Blow Ya Mind' is 1 higher than ML Hammer's, but I double checked it and it's correct so I assume he missed a stray point somewhere, not that it makes any difference or anyone would've noticed laugh.gif)

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 6th May 2020, 09:13 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Thanks very much for doing this Rush! I did wonder what would come out on top here and that's a solid winner if not one of my big faves.

Even 18 months later my preferences have changed somewhat so if this were re-run I'd be nominating & voting rather differently!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 05:18 AM