BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter 2017: Week #26, i'm a machine when i do it // + links + write-up
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Jun 26 2017, 11:49 AM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
A static top 5 this week despite 13 new entries among the pack sees Little Mix gaining a second week at #1. Garrix and Sivan are close enough behind for this to almost be a tie for the top spot, but I decided to give it to LM again this week as having a joint #1 would mess up my records. On that point, I’m still a little staggered at how There For You hasn’t yet made much headway into the UK top 40 after the success of Garrix’s last two singles with Dua Lipa and Bebe, acts with I would have thought less of a fanbase than Troye who’s always seemed to have a small hardcore following in the UK.

Maraaya, Elsa & Emilie and Lady Antebellum move into this week’s top 10, gaining debut top 10 positions each respectively. London Grammar, Anitta’s Paradinha, Lorde’s Sober, Gaga’s Joanne and the Naked and Famous’s Last Forever all also rise into the top 20 this week from their last week’s peaks. As for new entries, all of last week’s big splashes score debuts off the bat, your Jax Jones, DJ Khaled, and for me, Jhene Aiko. Other new entries come from The XX, landing a third from their latest album, classic rock band Heart, Lykke Li’s new project liv, LIGHTS, Seether, DJ duo Rebecca and Fiona, Sage the Gemini, Kasabian, another from Nelly Furtado, and a long-awaited entry from the unfortunately named Smalltown DJs featuring Lisa Lobsinger. The track’s better than you’d think from the artist name.

Those will be getting individual video links and a bit of commentary later on in the week, so check back and that’ll save you having to search them out individually, I’ll update the thread title accordingly when those are done.

For now, the top 40 for this fourth week of June:

01 Little Mix ft. Stormzy – Power [7-1-1]
02 Martin Garrix ft. Troye Sivan - There For You [1-2-2]
03 Lana Del Rey ft. The Weeknd - Lust for Life [35-X4-29-3-3-3]
04 Paperwhite - Only Us [30-4-4]
05 Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut to the Feeling [6-5-5]
06 Elsa & Emilie x Dulsae - Chains of Promises [30-6]
07 Lady Antebellum - Heart Break [12-7]
08 Halsey ft. Lauren Jauregui - Strangers [6-8]
09 Yo Gotti ft. Nicki Minaj - Rake it Up [25-7-9]
10 Maraaya ft. BQL - It's Complicated [16-10]
11 Iggy Azalea ft. Anitta - Switch [20-14-10-11]
12 London Grammar - Wild Eyed [21-12]
13 MisterWives - Coloring Outside the Lines [26-13-13]
14 DJ Khaled ft. Rihanna + Bryson Tiller - Wild Thoughts [N]
15 Lady Gaga - Joanne [29-15]
16 HAIM - Want You Back [20-9-16]
17 Naked and Famous - Last Forever [26-17]
18 Mura Masa ft. Charli XCX - 1 Night [18-14-18]
19 Anitta - Paradinha [33-19]
20 Lorde - Sober [27-20]
21 Sage the Gemini - Reverse [N]
22 Arcade Fire - Everything Now [32-18-22]
23 Smalltown DJs ft. Lisa Lobsinger - Erased the Night [N]
24 Jhene Aiko - While We're Young [N]
25 Mila J - Longway [28-17-11-25]
26 Kasabian - Wasted [N]
27 Blood Orange & Nelly Furtado - Hadron Collider [N]
28 Foster the People - SHC [27-23-28]
29 Steve James ft. LIGHTS - Warrior [N]
30 Vaults - Lifespan [24-30]
31 The XX - Lips [N]
32 Rebecca and Fiona - Pop Bitches [N]
33 Jax Jones ft. Demi Lovato + Stefflon Don - Instruction [N]
34 VERITE - Saint [39-34]
35 Seether - Sell My Soul [N]
36 Charming Horses ft. Grace Grundy - You Get What You Give [40-32-36]
37 LOLO - Shine [36-31-28-37]
38 Heart - Two [N]
39 Kehlani - In My Feelings [33-13-17-39]
40 liv - Heaven [N]

#1s this year:
Fickle Friends – Brooklyn (2)
Dua Lipa – Be The One (3)
Ed Sheeran – Castle On the Hill (1)
Tal – Slow Down the Flow (1)
Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa – Scared To Be Lonely (2)
Katy Perry ft. Skip Marley – Chained To The Rhythm (2)
Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean + Migos – Slide (2)
Nicki Minaj ft. Drake + Lil Wayne – No Frauds (1)
Era Istrefi ft. Felix Snow – Redrum (2)
Chainsmokers ft. Jhené Aiko – Wake Up Alone (3)
Lady Gaga – The Cure (1)
Wale ft. Major Lazer, Dua Lipa + WizKid – My Love (1)
Syn Cole ft. Nevve – Sway (2)
Martin Garrix & Troye Sivan – There For You (1)
Little Mix ft. Stormzy – Power (~)

Where can you see what I’m listening to? My spotify A-List playlist = {click here}

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Jun 27 2017, 08:19 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tombo
post Jun 26 2017, 03:45 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543
Heya Jupiter, here are my favourites for this week!

I love your #1! LM have had a such a great era this time around!

01 Little Mix ft. Stormzy – Power [7-1-1]
14 DJ Khaled ft. Rihanna + Bryson Tiller - Wild Thoughts [N]
33 Jax Jones ft. Demi Lovato + Stefflon Don - Instruction [N]

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Jun 27 2017, 04:43 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Not a lot to say about this week's bunch I haven't already covered in the first post, apart from that this week's selection manages to cram in a larger proportion of my favourite artists than usual, and fewer of the one-hit wonders than usually abound. Carly Rae Jepsen, Lana, Jhene, Nicki Minaj, Nelly Furtado, HAIM, Foster the People, The XX, Troye Sivan, Gaga and London Grammar all in the one chart week is pretty awesome, as well as apperances from my old faves Rebecca and Fiona and Lykke Li and guilty pleasure Heart who really helped me get through my thesis. Wow.

Enough about the old though, here's the new:

Rihanna's return with Wild Thoughts (alongside Bryson Tiller and DJ Khaled) catapults straight into the top 20 on its first week out, giving Rihanna yet another high charter after a wildly successful 2016. It's Tiller and Khaled's second and fourth year on my radar respectively. Previous Khaled tunes I've enjoyed include I'm On One featuring Lil Wayne, Drake and Rick Ross, and Hold You Down featuring Future and August Alsina. There's not much Khaled on this one and I wouldn't be surprised if he'd offered this to Rihanna as a solo track first.

Second highest newie just outside the top 20 goes to Sage the Gemini's Reverse, a track I've championed in the Urban forum already. It's pretty similar cloth as Sage's minor hit earlier in the year Now and Later, but might not be able to re-capitalize on the same success. Who knows though with the new chart rules coming into force.

Frequent collaborators Smalltown DJs and Lisa Lobsinger come together on a decent dance track with interesting stop-start production and a slightly retro Euro feel. This one's had the misfortune to come up against stiff competition for a few previous charts, landing just outside top 40, meaning this might be it's only week in and thus it's peak.

Right behind is a solo new entry for Jhene Aiko, grabbing her third total this year. She's potentially got two albums in the pipeline for 2017, a solo and a collab have both been floated, as well as a bubbling-under high-profile collab with 2 Chainz which should see her profile solidify itself a bit in the US, even if the track doesn't have her doing much. This is one of two solo singles she has out right now, the second features Chris Brown, a pretty high-profile grab for an artist yet to have a solo hit on either side of the Atlantic.

Kasabian finally land a track into my top 40 following their latest album release; I've been enjoying lead track You're In Love With a Psycho, and Comeback Kid, but it's Wasted that managed to stick on my A-List long enough to build up enough of a lead to become one of my top 40 this month. The album's a nice injection of rock, or at least pop rock into the mainly other genres I listen to week on week.

Finally for this wee section, an unexpected collab from alt R&B guru Blood Orange and ex-pop, folk, and mainstream singer Nelly Furtado. Blood Orange has been on my radar for a few years now but firmly within the alt scene I'd follow, so a Nelly Furtado collab was pretty surprising. The song is goregously smooth though and wouldn't feel out of place on Nelly's latest album, or a future project she might switch into. Counting the tracks on that, this gives Furtado her third charter so far this year following top 25-placing Paris Sun and the #2-peaking Cold Hard Truth.

The rest of this week's new entries will be linked in in another post which I will get to writing and posting ASAP wink.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
mdh
post Jun 27 2017, 05:35 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776
hey there!

Cut To The Feeling slaying is lovely to see, that's been quite the grower of late for me wub.gif

Also loving Wild Thoughts, so glad it's smashing here and officially!

Fab chart as per usual happy.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jun 30 2017, 02:42 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Hi Jupiter!

Great to see Maraaya up into the Top 10! Incredibly catchy!

Nice to see Heaven enter as well! Looking forward to when Lykke Li releases new music...

Great chart biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Sven10
post Jul 1 2017, 10:08 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 22,108
Hey Jupiter,

Best tracks in your Top10:
Little Mix, Martin Garrix and Carly Rae Jepsen cheer.gif .

Best new entries:
DJ Khaled and Jax Jones yahoo.gif

Great danceable chart dance.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Jul 1 2017, 02:32 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Thanks dudes and dudettes for all the thoughtful comments! I am feeling very part of the community this week biggrin.gif

Will just drop in the rest of the new entry links here for y'all to be able to check out wink.gif

Lykke Li here as part of a new project. It's her tenth year active and I've been a longtime fan, but I've no idea what UK fans would best know her for in the mainstream. I Follow Rivers, perhaps?

Another rock ballad from an old-school band in the same year that Blondie return. Not to be shady, but Nancy and Ann have held on to a lot more strength in their voices as they've aged. I'm a sucker for Heart, as anyone following my top 100 artists chart in the Countdowns subforum will see shortly.

More rock with Seether making their chart debut. I'm unsure what exact rock subgenre this one would fall into, it's a bit Foo Fighters/RCHP esque.

Another from The XX, a track I thought might be the early spring single when the album was first released, but has so far been passed over for Say Something Loving and now I Dare You. For me it's their third album charter so far following On Hold and Dangerous which both peaked top 5.

Deviating from their usual dance roots, Pop Bitches has Rebecca and Fiona going for a more rip-roaring Veronicas/Icona Pop sound, and I love it. Glad to share it along. Almost riot grrrl over here. They've been active a long time and I first heard them guesting on a Kaskade song maybe 5 or 6 years back.

One for any fans of LIGHTS, of which I know there is at least one on this forum. Or any EDM fans.

Finally, probably the highest profile new entry from this section. For me, Instruction is way more instant than even You Don't Know Me which took a good few weeks and an adorable video to get going. Even so it only peaked at #23 for me, this one's almost definitely bound to do better. And that sass from Demi! Life-giving.

Check back for my next week's chart! Til then wink.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Jul 1 2017, 02:41 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
Hey Jupiter!

Good #1 there, their 2nd best single this era for me behind Touch, and Stormzy is king as always.

Prefer Wild Thoughts to I'm The One, very good use of a sample!

Great to see 1 Night here, not listening to it anymore but was a hit on my Chart a few weeks back.

Not so keen on new Jax Jones unfortunately, just seems a rehash of YDKM which I got bored of quickly, hopefully it'll be a grower.

Loads I need to check out here so added to my Spotify list!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:48 AM