BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Album fillers & B-sides
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Sydney11
post Aug 23 2017, 05:49 AM
Post #21
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,135

QUOTE(Laura130262 @ Aug 22 2017, 11:27 PM) *

This came up on my Ipod today. The distance between the man who wrote these lyrics and where he is now is immeasurable.

B- side to Supreme

I'm not your lover baby
I'm not the one
I've been too smothered lately
I don't do love

Nice song & he has certianly come along way, how things change wub.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Aug 25 2017, 05:34 AM
Post #22
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Appliance of Science B-side to Sexed Up

He has such a lovely voice wub.gif

+Quote Post
Laura130262
post Aug 25 2017, 11:26 PM
Post #23
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 10,265
   No Gallery Pics

Talking of the TT re-union - this is where it all started at Knebworth in 2003 with Mark Owen smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Aug 26 2017, 07:45 AM
Post #24
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Laura130262 @ Aug 26 2017, 12:26 AM) *

Talking of the TT re-union - this is where it all started at Knebworth in 2003 with Mark Owen smile.gif

I remember that, it was fun ... remember I saying that this was the first time that I had ever seen Robbie , I had never heard of him before then so had no idea who Mark Owen was or the connection

+Quote Post
Laura130262
post Aug 26 2017, 11:33 PM
Post #25
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Aug 26 2017, 08:45 AM) *
I remember that, it was fun ... remember I saying that this was the first time that I had ever seen Robbie , I had never heard of him before then so had no idea who Mark Owen was or the connection

Do you mean you hadn't heard of Robbie before Knebworth Tess or hadn't heard of Mark Owen?

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Aug 27 2017, 06:49 AM
Post #26
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Laura130262 @ Aug 27 2017, 12:33 AM) *
Do you mean you hadn't heard of Robbie before Knebworth Tess or hadn't heard of Mark Owen?

No Laura, I know it sounds daft does it not but it is absolutely true. I missed all that stuff when Robbie was in TT & guess that is why I never got the connection because it was all new for me at Knebworth gig when I saw Robbie for he first time on tv. I then did some research on Robbie & thought what a fantastic performer & singer & bought his selection of Cd's etc

I am more a fan of bands Laura & always have been but it's the older stuff like the Pink Floy's , Marc Bolan, Status Quo, U2 etc so Robbie would not have been in my radar, it was accidental that I came across him but a really good find imo . I did like Geroge Michael but not only some of his stuff & I also liked him as a performer & I has no interest in Gerorge when he was in Wham ...

This post has been edited by Sydney11: Aug 27 2017, 06:49 AM

+Quote Post
Laura130262
post Aug 27 2017, 11:32 PM
Post #27
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Aug 27 2017, 07:49 AM) *
No Laura, I know it sounds daft does it not but it is absolutely true. I missed all that stuff when Robbie was in TT & guess that is why I never got the connection because it was all new for me at Knebworth gig when I saw Robbie for he first time on tv. I then did some research on Robbie & thought what a fantastic performer & singer & bought his selection of Cd's etc

I am more a fan of bands Laura & always have been but it's the older stuff like the Pink Floy's , Marc Bolan, Status Quo, U2 etc so Robbie would not have been in my radar, it was accidental that I came across him but a really good find imo . I did like Geroge Michael but not only some of his stuff & I also liked him as a performer & I has no interest in Gerorge when he was in Wham ...

So he had to overcome quite a lot of your natural disinterest for you to become a fan then Tess?

It was the same for me. I was too busy getting married and having babies to have any interest in TT. By the time I noticed him at the 1998 Brits I was ready to actively dislike him - a "reject" from a boy band. A rehab boy who worst of all had chosen a classic 1970s song (Come up and see me Make Me Smile) to cover that night. I was ready for him to murder it.

But I saw that performance with Tom Jones and started to change my mind before they had even finished performing. Then the more I found out about him and his music, the more I liked him as a person. My pre-conceptions of him were wrong. I not only liked his music, but I was intrigued that a "bad boy" constantly being thrown out of clubs could write such beautiful, sad, insightful lyrics. I knew I wanted to find out more about him. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Aug 28 2017, 05:49 AM
Post #28
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Average B side ( B-side to Old Before I Die )

+Quote Post
elisabeth1974
post Aug 29 2017, 03:26 AM
Post #29
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 25,575
   No Gallery Pics

Thank you for sharing your Robbie past, this is a good read :-) I have a book in which fans shared the way they had become Robbie fans and the way he influenced their lives. It is from 2008. Quiet an interesting read. The man had done good with his lyrics and his personality and he had given many some great hours of music.
Better Man, why and how did you become a fan?

I have somewhere read yesterday that Erasue will not be with him in Russia. Is that right?

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Aug 29 2017, 05:33 AM
Post #30
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(elisabeth1974 @ Aug 29 2017, 04:26 AM) *
Thank you for sharing your Robbie past, this is a good read :-) I have a book in which fans shared the way they had become Robbie fans and the way he influenced their lives. It is from 2008. Quiet an interesting read. The man had done good with his lyrics and his personality and he had given many some great hours of music.

I have somewhere read yesterday that Erasue will not be with him in Russia. Is that right?

How did you become a fan Elisabeth ..

+Quote Post
Laura130262
post Aug 29 2017, 11:00 PM
Post #31
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(elisabeth1974 @ Aug 29 2017, 04:26 AM) *

Yes I saw that too - I'm guessing because of the anti-gay feeling in Russia.

Good on Erasure to make a stand I say. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Better Man
post Aug 30 2017, 05:49 PM
Post #32
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 12,584
   No Gallery Pics

well... the first Robbie's song I had heard was It's Only Us because of FIFA2000.
Then I liked Supreme very much because I was a big fan of F1 around this period and then Mandalay appeared... It was one of my favourite songs on radio then...
And finally I decided to buy audio cassete with the Robbie's album... I hadn't Internet and CD player that time... Only radio and TV.
And I tried to remember the name of the album where Mandalay was...
I remembered but with a mistake.

And bought SWING When You're Winning...

I still remember the first night when I started to listen it... My mother and father were very enjoyed by this music...and me too! But I didn't understand why there is no The Road To Mandalay. I was sure I remember the name correctly =)))

In a few days after that I has came to a music shop to buy his other album...
And I found SING! I found but I still didn't understand they have the same names... I understood my mistake only at home smile.gif

Anyway, I really like this story and it's something strange that SWING was the first one. That time it was very important my parents also liked my choice of music...

Liz, thanks for question. And you?

Don't know. They are still on billboards.

This post has been edited by Better Man: Aug 30 2017, 05:49 PM

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Mar 27 2018, 06:00 AM
Post #33
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,543

My favourite would have to be Dickhead. It is so wacky and hilarious and quite out there, which is what I like.

It is from the Rudebox album, I think it could have been a bonus track.

For a more serious song, I would go for Heart and I from In And Out Of Consciousness

+Quote Post
Laura130262
post Mar 27 2018, 10:57 PM
Post #34
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

He does "angry" well Tombo smile.gif

Do you like the 80s 90s from Rudebox? Great lyrics I think.

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Mar 28 2018, 12:02 AM
Post #35
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Laura130262 @ Mar 27 2018, 11:57 PM) *
He does "angry" well Tombo smile.gif

Do you like the 80s 90s from Rudebox? Great lyrics I think.

Yeah, I like those tracks too, it is a good album. I really like Bongo Bong and Je ne t'aime plus and Never Touch That Switch as well, it is a fun album overall.

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Mar 29 2018, 05:11 AM
Post #36
BuzzJack Platinum Member

The timing was wrong though & no promo did not help...he could easily have promoted it as an ' experimental album ' & got away with it , Rudebox till gets an 'meh' reaction from audiences when he performs it nowadays but fair play to him for doing so..I love it heart.gif

+Quote Post
Laura130262
post Mar 29 2018, 11:46 PM
Post #37
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Mar 29 2018, 05:11 AM) *
The timing was wrong though & no promo did not help...he could easily have promoted it as an ' experimental album ' & got away with it , Rudebox till gets an 'meh' reaction from audiences when he performs it nowadays but fair play to him for doing so..I love it heart.gif

I noticed that at Queen Elizabeth Stadium last summer Tess. He did Rudebox and those in the inner circle ahead of us started chatting! mad.gif

Heathens..... rolleyes.gif

I'm glad he did it too. He should make it a rule to sing at least one song from Rudebox each tour. sleep.gif

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Mar 29 2018, 11:47 PM
Post #38
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Laura130262 @ Mar 30 2018, 12:46 AM) *
I noticed that at Queen Elizabeth Stadium last summer Tess. He did Rudebox and those in the inner circle ahead of us started chatting! mad.gif

Heathens..... rolleyes.gif

I'm glad he did it too. He should make it a rule to sing at least one song from Rudebox each tour. sleep.gif

Oh my god, I didn't know there was such dislike towards the song!

+Quote Post
Laura130262
post Mar 29 2018, 11:53 PM
Post #39
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tombo @ Mar 29 2018, 11:47 PM) *
Oh my god, I didn't know there was such dislike towards the song!

Yes - I remember in 2006 when it came out - it really divided his fan base. Lots didn't like it. Plus he got a real kicking for it in the press.

Victoria Newton in the Sun (their former showbiz columnist) called it "the worst song ever".

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Mar 30 2018, 12:03 AM
Post #40
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Laura130262 @ Mar 30 2018, 12:53 AM) *
Yes - I remember in 2006 when it came out - it really divided his fan base. Lots didn't like it. Plus he got a real kicking for it in the press.

Victoria Newton in the Sun (their former showbiz columnist) called it "the worst song ever".

I remember when he got criticised and they were comparing him to Justin Timberlake and saying how his music was cool whereas Rudebox was a laughing stock.

I really like the lyrics to Rudebox though, they are funny

It doesn't deserve all its hate imo.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:22 AM