BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> DT32 Rates The UK Debuts
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
DalekTurret32
post Apr 3 2019, 02:54 PM
Post #1
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666
So I'm going to start a thing where I rate the songs that have debuted in each week of the UK Singles Chart. I was inspired by a YouTube reviewing series I recently got into called Billboard Breakdown, in which music reviewer Spectrum Pulse goes through what's happening on the USA Billboard Hot 100 charts, as well as voicing his opinion on the new entries. At the end, he states what he thought was the best and the worst of the new entries. It has been round since December 2014, but I didn't get immersed into it until this January. I managed to get down my ratings for the March entries and some of the February entries.

I will list the debuts of each week from #100 to #1, give each track a rating, and put in the placeholders Favourite Of The Week and Least Favourite Of The Week for the ones I liked the most/least out of the ones that debuted, with the occasional extra HM for the former.

The ratings in order are as follows:

[GOLD]
OUTSTANDING
BRILLIANT
GREAT
SUBLIME
GOOD
ADEQUATE
ALRIGHT
FAIR
MEH
SUB-PAR
WEAK
POOR
INADEQUATE
BAD

AUGUST 2019 UPDATE
I'm thinking of modifying my rating scale

[GOLD](I'm keeping this though)
9/10: BRILLIANT, OUTSTANDING
8/10: SUBLIME, GREAT
7/10: ALRIGHT, ADEQUATE, GOOD
6.5/10: Okay border (FAIR/ALRIGHT)
6/10: MEH (higher side 56-59), FAIR
5.5/10: Mixed bag territory
5/10: MEH (lower side 51-54), SUB-PAR, WEAK
4/10: POOR, INADEQUATE, BAD

21/02/2019

#95. Ramz - Hold You Down [SUBLIME]
#70. Jack Savoretti - Candlelight [BRILLIANT]
#67. D-Block Europe - K!tchen Kings [MEH] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#66. Lizzo - Juice [OUTSTANDING] (FOTW HM)
#48. AJ Tracey - Ladbroke Grove [OUTSTANDING] (Fave Of The Week)
#46. AJ Tracey - Wifey Riddim 3 [GOOD]
#34. The Chainsmokers feat. 5SOS - Who Do You Love [MEH]
#16. Khalid, Disclosure - Talk [GREAT]
#8. Ariana Grande - needy [SUBLIME]
#1. Ariana Grande - break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored [ALRIGHT]

28/02/2019

#100. Offset - Red Room [SUBLIME]
#99. AJ Tracey & Giggs - Nothing But Net [OUTSTANDING] (FOTW HM)
#98. Picture This - One Drink [ADEQUATE]
#91. Kygo feat. Valerie Broussard - Think About You [OUTSTANDING] (Fave Of The Week)
#84. Catfish And The Bottlemen - Fluctuate [SUBLIME]
#71. Deno - First Days (Cadet Tribute) [GREAT]
#70. D-Block Europe - Running Man [FAIR]
#65. Yungblud & Halsey feat. Travis Barker - 11 Minutes [ALRIGHT]
#63. Unknown T and Crazy Cousinz - Throwback [ADEQUATE] (Fun Fact: The Crazy Cousins/Fluke instrumental was previously used in Tinie Tempah's Wifey and Sadie Ama's Fallin [both from about 2007])
#62. D-Block Europe - Kettle Pouring [FAIR]
#51. DigDat & Loski - No Cap [MEH]
#47. YNW Melly - Murder On My Mind [MEH] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#46. Juice WRLD - Robbery [MEH]
#37. Zedd feat. Katy Perry - 365 [ADEQUATE]
#12. Cardi B & Bruno Mars - Please Me [SUBLIME]

07/03/2019

#95. Sam Fender - Play God [[GOLD]] (FOTW HM)
#89. Bebe Rexha - Last Hurrah [SUBLIME]
#85. James Bay feat. Julia Michaels - Peer Pressure [FAIR] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#73. Jorja Smith - Don't Watch Me Cry [OUTSTANDING]
#53. Giggs - Baby [ALRIGHT]
#42. Giggs - 187 [GOOD]
#40. Dave - Black [[GOLD]] (Fave Of The Week)
#8. P!nk - Walk Me Home [BRILLIANT]

14/03/2019

#97. Ellie Goulding - Flux [SUBLIME]
#94. Juice WRLD - Hear Me Calling [ADEQUATE]
#93. Lil Skies - I [ALRIGHT]
#88. Tom Walker feat. Zara Larsson - Now You're Gone [GOOD]
#82. Hozier - Almost (Sweet Music) [BRILLIANT] (FOTW HM)
#76. Martin Jensen and James Arthur - Nobody [GOOD]
#73. Nafe Smallz feat. M Huncho - Like A Film [FAIR]
#62. Loyle Carner & Jorja Smith - Loose Ends [[GOLD]] (Fave Of The Week)
#61. Billie Eilish - Wish You Were Gay [SUBLIME]
#57. Freya Ridings - You Mean The World To Me [BRILLIANT]
#51. Octavian feat. Michael Phantom and Skepta - Bet [FAIR]
#43. benny blanco, Selena Gomez, J Balvin, Tainy - I Can't Get Enough [GOOD]
#41. Summer Walker feat. Drake - Girls Need Love [ADEQUATE]
#18. Roddy Ricch x Chip x Yxng Bane feat. The Plug - How It Is [MEH] (Least Fave Of The Week)

21/03/2019

#98. Clean Bandit feat. Ellie Goulding - Mama [SUBLIME]
#97. M Huncho - Birds [MEH]
#82. Foals - In Degrees [[GOLD]] (Fave Of The Week)
#64. Louis Tomlinson - Two Of Us [GOOD]
#61. Khalid - My Bad [GOOD]
#50. Ava Max - So Am I [SUBLIME] (FOTW HM)
#42. Marshmello feat. CHVRCHES - Here With Me [SUBLIME]
#41. Juice WRLD - Fast [MEH] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#11. Dave feat. Burna Boy - Location [SUBLIME]
#9. Dave - Streatham [SUBLIME]
#8. Dave feat. J Hus - Disaster [GOOD]

28/03/2019

#100. YNW Melly feat. Kanye West - Mixed Personalities [MEH] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#95. Jess Glynne - No One [BRILLIANT] (Fave Of The Week)
#94. Tory Lanez - Freaky [ALRIGHT]
#90. Daddy Yankee feat. Snow - Con Calma [ALRIGHT]
#84. Roddy Ricch - Die Young [GOOD]
#82. Iggy Azalea - Sally Walker [ALRIGHT]
#70. Hardy Caprio - Sponsored [ADEQUATE]
#58. Meduza feat. GOODBOYS - Piece Of Your Heart [BRILLIANT] (FOTW HM)

04/04/2019

100. Dean Lewis - Stay Awake [GOOD]
91. Nav feat. The Weeknd - Price On My Head [MEH]
87. Jonas Blue feat. Theresa Rex - What I Like About You [FAIR]
86. RV & Headie One - Match Day [FAIR]
82. Deno - Lifestyle [ADEQUATE]
81. SL - FWA Boss [MEH]
79. Tame Impala - Patience [[GOLD]] (Fave Of The Week)
69. Catfish And The Bottlemen - 2All [BRILLIANT] (FOTW HM)
67. Lil Nas X - Old Town Road [GOOD]
19. Russ splash x Tion Wayne - Keisha & Becky [FAIR]
7. Steel Banglez feat. AJ Tracey and Mo'Stack - Fashion Week [MEH] (Least Fave Of The Week)

This post has been edited by Peral-Turret32: Aug 4 2019, 07:19 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Apr 5 2019, 06:51 PM
Post #2
Group icon
11/04/2019

#98. Rammstein - Deutschland [[GOLD]] (Fave Of The Week)
#87. YK Osiris - Worth It [FAIR] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#84. Koffee - Toast [GREAT]
#67. Dr. Vades & Blanco - Ringtone [ALRIGHT]
#51. Zara Larsson - Don't Worry 'Bout Me [ADEQUATE]
#48. MIST - Can't Stop Clocks [ADEQUATE]
#41. Jax Jones & Martin Solveig Present Europa feat. Madison Beer - All Day And Night [BRILLIANT] (FOTW HM)
#40. Ariana Grande & Victoria Monet - Monopoly [ALRIGHT]
#26. Westlife - Better Man [GOOD]
#19. Jay1 - Your Mrs. [FAIR]
#2. Billie Eilish - bad guy [GREAT]

Deutschland is an absolutely fantastic presentation of showing Germany throughout its history while showing its praise through the chorus with the anaphora of "Deutschland!" being chanted, with some excellent metal instrumentation and dark, dramatic vocal styles that fit the song perfectly. Worth It has some solid lyrics and a decent beat ("I would give you the world" and "You don't gotta be perfect" remind me of a feelgood R&B track from an artist like Jason Derulo or Usher), but I'm not fond of Osiris' voice. Toast has a nice, upbeat Summery vibe with Koffee showing off a good personality through her use of Jamaican patois. A rap song focusing on mobile phones may not have worked on paper, but the incorporation of the iPhone marimba ringtone into the syncopated drill beat in Ringtone works well, and does a good job at backing up most of the lyrical content. Don't Worry Bout Me is a vibrant, more entertaining version of Ruin My Life. Can't Stop Clocks is weighed down by an autotuned chorus and a low pitch-shifted part at the beginning of the bridge, but the verses boost it up a bit. All Day And Night is an excellently produced post break-up track with a disco house vibe and a really good performance from Beer, plus Garrix's synths in the chorus remind me of the ones used in Faithless' 1995 club hit Insomnia. Monopoly has both Grande and Monet making good use of the mezzo soprano stylists over some nice backing vocal harmonisation. It also goes for an actual drumkit rather than software produced drums (something I don't see often in pop music of 2019), but some lines involving flexing weigh it down a bit (though I can understand that these lines may display a sense of competition, since competition is expected when playing a game of Monopoly). Better Man does a solid job at conveying a sense of nostalgia involving relationships. Your Mrs. is a typical "bragging about girls" rap song, though Jay1 does show some good flows at some parts. "I'm taking your Mrs.! Nah, I'm joking" would have made for a funny line if it was said once at the beginning of the 1st verse due to its self-awareness factor, but it being repeated twice in each chorus causes the joke effect to wear off a bit. We close off the new entries rundown with the proper opening to Billie Eilish's debut studio album WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? in the form of bad guy. Eilish brings out some syncopated vocal lines in her verses with her haunting vocal style to fit the "bad guy" persona. Also, the keyboard breakdown that comes after the chorus comes off as a mischievous earworm to the listener, and that beat switch near the end was unexpected, but it was executed well.

Overall, this was a solid week of new entries.

+Quote this post
danG
post Apr 5 2019, 10:37 PM
Post #3
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
Liking the reviews. I watch Billboard Breakdown every week too, so this can kinda serve as a UK version. tongue.gif

Here's how I'd rank the new entries this week

#41. Jax Jones & Martin Solveig Present Europa feat. Madison Beer - All Day And Night // excellent. love the 'Insomnia' reminiscent synths, gives it an anthemic feel which we haven't heard in a dance hit for a while. 10/10
#51. Zara Larsson - Don't Worry 'Bout Me // a big step up from 'Ruin My Life' for me, the light house beat really works and she sounds better with this type of production than the more RnB leaning songs. 9/10
#2. Billie Eilish - bad guy // one of her better efforts, love the eery production particularly. 8/10
#67. Dr. Vades & Blanco - Ringtone // this charted thanks to a remix with Chip, Loski & LD if you weren't aware. the original works much better though. I really like that they've actually turned the iPhone ringtone into a song anyhow which makes this otherwise average rap song fun to listen to. 7/10
#98. Rammstein - Deutschland // well this is a very odd song to be any kind of UK hit and not just because it's in German. this is actually better than I was expecting though, I thought it'd be heavy metal for whatever reason (I'm not familiar with this band). 7/10
#40. Ariana Grande & Victoria Monet - Monopoly // it's quite nice but she can do better, this whole era's been disappointing for me. 6/10
#84. Koffee - Toast // wasn't expecting this to go anywhere especially after it had left the R1 playlist. this reminds me of Stefflon Don in a good way but the production isn't quite up there. 6/10
#48. MIST - Can't Stop Clocks // bleh, just another standard rap song 5/10
#87. YK Osiris - Worth It // his voice is a bit grating, the guitar solo is a nice touch though but otherwise just average. 5/10
#19. Jay1 - Your Mrs. // don't get how this has done so well, the production is too sparse and his delivery too plain for my liking. 4/10
#26. Westlife - Better Man // awful! this kind of song was just what I expected from their comeback. so dated too. 1/10

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Apr 5 2019, 10:55 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
Interesting concept! Don't think I've ever seen a rating lower than SUB-PAR from you DT even in all of the other site-wide ranks I noticed you apply that rating scheme to.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Apr 6 2019, 12:07 AM
Post #5
Group icon
QUOTE(danG @ Apr 5 2019, 11:37 PM) *
Liking the reviews. I watch Billboard Breakdown every week too, so this can kinda serve as a UK version. tongue.gif

Here's how I'd rank the new entries this week

#41. Jax Jones & Martin Solveig Present Europa feat. Madison Beer - All Day And Night // excellent. love the 'Insomnia' reminiscent synths, gives it an anthemic feel which we haven't heard in a dance hit for a while. 10/10
#51. Zara Larsson - Don't Worry 'Bout Me // a big step up from 'Ruin My Life' for me, the light house beat really works and she sounds better with this type of production than the more RnB leaning songs. 9/10
#2. Billie Eilish - bad guy // one of her better efforts, love the eery production particularly. 8/10
#67. Dr. Vades & Blanco - Ringtone // this charted thanks to a remix with Chip, Loski & LD if you weren't aware. the original works much better though. I really like that they've actually turned the iPhone ringtone into a song anyhow which makes this otherwise average rap song fun to listen to. 7/10
#98. Rammstein - Deutschland // well this is a very odd song to be any kind of UK hit and not just because it's in German. this is actually better than I was expecting though, I thought it'd be heavy metal for whatever reason (I'm not familiar with this band). 7/10
#40. Ariana Grande & Victoria Monet - Monopoly // it's quite nice but she can do better, this whole era's been disappointing for me. 6/10
#84. Koffee - Toast // wasn't expecting this to go anywhere especially after it had left the R1 playlist. this reminds me of Stefflon Don in a good way but the production isn't quite up there. 6/10
#48. MIST - Can't Stop Clocks // bleh, just another standard rap song 5/10
#87. YK Osiris - Worth It // his voice is a bit grating, the guitar solo is a nice touch though but otherwise just average. 5/10
#19. Jay1 - Your Mrs. // don't get how this has done so well, the production is too sparse and his delivery too plain for my liking. 4/10
#26. Westlife - Better Man // awful! this kind of song was just what I expected from their comeback. so dated too. 1/10

Thanks!
I'm with you on the Insomnia synths, the voice on Worth It and the iPhone beat.
And on the topic of Deutschland, the last metal song I remember charting in the Top 100 was Slipknot's All Out Life back in Autumn 2018 (if that counts).

QUOTE(dobbo @ Apr 5 2019, 11:55 PM) *
Interesting concept! Don't think I've ever seen a rating lower than SUB-PAR from you DT even in all of the other site-wide ranks I noticed you apply that rating scheme to.

Glad you like the concept.
Maybe there might be a SUB-PAR song popping up in the future, I don't know when.

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post Apr 6 2019, 09:28 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614
Since they don't really ever make it to the Billboard Hot 100, I hope someone in this thread can keep of which UK rappers are stealing YOUR girl

+Quote this post
danG
post Apr 6 2019, 09:34 AM
Post #7
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
QUOTE(Dircadirca @ Apr 6 2019, 10:28 AM) *
Since they don't really ever make it to the Billboard Hot 100, I hope someone in this thread can keep of which UK rappers are stealing YOUR girl
Funny you say that because that's the main premise of the JAY1 song laugh.gif Except for that he's 'just joking'.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Apr 12 2019, 08:03 PM
Post #8
Group icon
18/04/2019

#92. Bazzi - Paradise [ALRIGHT]
#73. Molly Hocking - I'll Never Love Again (Winner Of The Voice 2019) [GREAT]
#66. Calvin Harris - I'm Not Alone (2019 Edit) [BRILLIANT] (Fave Of The Week)
#59. Nipsey Hussle feat. Roddy Ricch and Hit-Boy - Racks in the Middle [GREAT]
#49. Ruti - Racing Cars [BRILLIANT] (FOTW HM)
#45. Khalid & John Mayer - Outta My Head [GREAT]
#39. Jonas Brothers - Cool [FAIR] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#33. BLACKPINK - Kill This Love [ALRIGHT]

When I first heard the beginning lyric of Paradise ("Hands on your body, I'm grabbing your ass"), I was quite worried about the direction it was going to head in terms of lyrical content (maybe it's just me or that I found the line a bit too sexual for my liking), but despite that, it ended up being a decent Bazzi song about him living life to the fullest with his partner. The original version of I'll Never Love Again served as a heartwarming end to the 2018 remake of A Star Is Born and it ended up on my Top 10 Fave UK Top 40 Hits of 2018 in my Year End 2018 countdown. The cover by Molly Hocking, winner of this year's series of The Voice, keeps the same instrumentation from the original, but the bridge is cut out and the vocal style sounds different. Nevertheless, it remains a pretty faithful cover. This month marks the 10th anniversary of one of my favourite EDM tunes of the late 2000's (as well as one of my favourites from the artist behind it) in the form of I'm Not Alone by Calvin Harris, and what better way to celebrate than putting out a small remix package of the modern classic. The single charting is the 2019 edit. The edit switches up the percussion by adding in house hi-hats, pitching down the music a semitone lower and removing both the 1st verse and pre-chorus before the drop entirely. The production ends up sounding like something you would hear from a DJ mix in a nightclub at 12am. This version loses a bit of the magic from the original with the last modification made, since these two parts in the original set up a powerful buildup for the synth-smothered drop. But other than that, it still remains a very good remix of the 2009 dance classic. Oh, and shoutout to the CamelPhat remix that adds a dark sound to the track. Racks In The Middle is a great hip hop track from the late Nipsey Hussle with him delivering some really good lines (sad to see another rapper die in a shooting :'( ). It did take a while for me to get used to Roddy Ricch's voice on the song, but his flows are decent and he sounds better than in his high-pitched parts on How It Is. Looks like we have another Voice related entry coming up. This time, it's from last year's winner Ruti Olajugbagbe (whose own coveted winners single was her cover of the 1992 Cranberries song Dreams. May Dolores O'Riordan rest in peace) with her forthcoming single Racing Cars. The song is filled with flamboyant 1980s-esque synths with a divine vocal performance to back the instrumentation up. The only problem I had with this was during the 'coming again' part in the pre-chorus, when the percussion is building up to what could potentially be a really powerful sounding chorus, but suddenly switches to a piano and voice (without percussion) texture. Fortunately, it didn't weigh the song down too much. Outta My Head is a chilled R&B bop from Khalid with a gorgeous night time vibe and a groovy bassline provided by John Mayer. Cool is a bit bragadocious, but has some decent production. I may be nitpicking, but the brass instrumentation in Kill This Love sounds processed and the clapping lines before the chorus feel messy, but it also does a decent job in dealing with heartbreak and the cons of being in a serious relationship.

Even though there weren't any songs that had a rating higher than "BRILLIANT", it still was a really good week of new entries with five tracks I really liked and three that were okay.

Edit: Forgot Racks In The Middle, so I added that in

This post has been edited by DalekTurret32: Apr 13 2019, 03:37 PM

+Quote this post
danG
post Apr 12 2019, 09:10 PM
Post #9
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
The version of I'm Not Alone that's actually selling is the CamelPhat remix, it's just credited as 'I'm Not Alone 2019' so that it counts as a new song and is on SCR.

I need to give most of those tracks a listen then I'll comment with my thoughts.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Apr 12 2019, 11:00 PM
Post #10
Group icon
QUOTE(danG @ Apr 12 2019, 10:10 PM) *
The version of I'm Not Alone that's actually selling is the CamelPhat remix, it's just credited as 'I'm Not Alone 2019' so that it counts as a new song and is on SCR.

Thanks dan.
In that case, I would give the CamelPhat remix an [OUTSTANDING].

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Apr 20 2019, 01:34 PM
Post #11
Group icon
25/04/2019

#98. Sigma feat. Louisa - Here We Go Again [GOOD]
#94. KSi and Randolph feat. JME - Pull Up [GOOD]
#82. Chris Brown - Back To Love [SUBLIME]
#80. M Huncho feat. Yxng Bane - Rock Bottom [FAIR]
#74. BTS - Mikrokosmos [SUBLIME]
#71. BTS - Make It Right [GREAT]
#68. Mark Ronson feat. Lykke Li - Late Night Feelings [[GOLD]] (Fave Of The Week)
#63. M Huncho - Ocho Cinco [FAIR]
#50. Ellie Goulding - Sixteen [GOOD]
#49. Geko feat. French Montana and Ay Em - New Money [MEH] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#45. J Hus feat. GRM Daily - Daily Duppy (2019) [OUTSTANDING] (FOTW HM)
#13. BTS feat. Halsey - Boy With Luv [GOOD]
#12. Avicii feat. Aloe Blacc - SOS [GREAT]

Here We Go Again takes a look into how our insecurities can get us at the worst possible moments, and the production sounds different from Sigma's usual drum and bass sound, which is interesting. The drop sounds a bit too similar to Marshmello's Silence but the song still ends up being solid altogether. Pull Up is a solid rap track with some dark sounding production and KSi gives some decent verses on it, but JME has to be my favourite part of this song with his impressive wordplay and fire flows. Back To Love has a nice night-time vibe to it with Brown seeing the purpose of true love and wanting to change for himself, with some nice characterisations displayed. We have two entries from M Huncho's latest studio album Utopia (with Birds re-entering following the album's release) going by the names Rock Bottom and Ocho Cinco. Don't have a lot to say about the latter, but I do have some things to say about the former. I like how the chorus is attempting to take a look into the 'rock bottom' metaphor, with the melancholy instrumentation backing it up fantastically, but the verses where both rappers brag about their watches and clothing weighs it down. We get another set of songs from a particular artist entering from BTS' latest EP "Map Of The Soul: Persona". Boy With Luv is pretty solid with a good groove. Mikrokosmos evokes astronomical imagery to represent the good times of a relationship, whilst feeling anthemic. Make It Right is has a nice chill vibe to accompany the lyrical content involving a character being lost, but now found thanks to true love. Late Night Feelings is an amazing production effort from Mark Ronson, with his uses of groovy instrumentation to capture the late night feelings (pun intended) the song is attempting to convey, as well as a fantastic vocal performance from Lykke Li. Sixteen makes good use of nostalgia with some solid production ("Can I wear your T-shirt and sleep on you?" is a weird line though). New Money has a lovely guitar strum at the beginning to buildup to the first chorus, but the song turns into a "stealing your girl" song, but there's something new; the guy stealing said girl claims that her partner wants to "touch (him)". Don't be fooled by the chilled vibe of J Hus' Daily Duppy freestyle, as the lyrical content shows him going deep and insightful, with him discussing topics such as youth clubs being shut down, the loss of a father and the struggles of dealing with the fact that a loved one of yours is in prison. SOS bears an uplifting, tropical vibe while dealing with drug abuse and mental health in the verses, which is really heartwarming considering what Avicii was going through before his death.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Apr 20 2019, 04:06 PM
Post #12
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
Great concept of this, Dalek. This is a great read.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post Apr 20 2019, 04:23 PM
Post #13
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
Yeah I really like reading these smile.gif

Though I'd put spaces inbetween each song, or make them different colours so it's easier to read wink.gif

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Apr 20 2019, 09:18 PM
Post #14
Group icon
QUOTE(Mack. @ Apr 20 2019, 05:06 PM) *
Great concept of this, Dalek. This is a great read.

Glad you like it, Mack!

QUOTE(WhoOdyssey @ Apr 20 2019, 05:23 PM) *
Yeah I really like reading these smile.gif

Though I'd put spaces inbetween each song, or make them different colours so it's easier to read wink.gif

That's a good suggestion, WhoOdy!
I was going to do that at first, but there might be occasions in which there is a song that I struggle to elaborate my thoughts on.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Apr 27 2019, 12:07 PM
Post #15
Group icon
02/05/2019

#89. French Montana feat. Blueface and Tjay - Slide [FAIR] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#87. Madonna and Maluma - Medellin [SUBLIME]
#77. Beyonce - Before I Let Go [SUBLIME]
#75. Florence & The Machine - Jenny Of Oldstones (Game Of Thrones) [OUTSTANDING]
#64. Offset feat. Cardi B - Clout [BRILLIANT]
#49. SZA, The Weeknd & Travis Scott - Power Is Power [OUTSTANDING] (FOTW HM)
#39. Kygo & Rita Ora - Carry On [[GOLD]] (Fave Of The Week)
#27. Digga D - No Diet [GOOD]
#24. Lil Dicky - Earth [ALRIGHT]

Slide has a decent beat, Montana's parts provide some fun, and Blueface's verse was okay (minus the line about him having two d***s on him.), but I wasn't fond of the autotune on Tjay's voice. That unexpected beat switch to a G-Funk synth halfway through though ohmy.gif.
Medellin sees Madonna doing a reggaeton-like song. It does seem like a weird idea (as is that part where she whispers numbers), but it comes out sounding swell, and both artists give out solid parts over some breathtaking production from Mirwais Ahmadzai (along with Madonna herself).
Beyonce comes back with a cover of Maze and Frankie Beverly's 1981 soul hit Before I Let Go from her recent live album HOMECOMING, which focuses on her Coachella performance from last year. The cover replaces the funky drum kit and handclaps of the original with trap percussion, though we do hear some clapping in the beginning of this version. Despite these changes, it doesn't have its celebratory sound stripped away from it, and ends up a good cover from Beyonce altogether.
This week, we have two songs from the For The Throne album to tie in with Game Of Thrones' final season. Even as someone that hasn't sat down and watched a GoT episode in full, I can still say that both of these songs are amazing. Jenny of Oldstones sees Florence put on a beautiful hymn-style voice over quiet strings and ambient pianos to represent the pain and struggles that Jenny had to go through throughout the seasons, which are referenced in the song's lyrics. Power is Power is the 'Pray For Me' of the For The Throne album. Both are set in E minor, both have dissonant synth notes at some points, both have this dramatic, uplifting feel and both have The Weeknd singing in it. The tense images presented in the song are brought to life by all three of the artists who do a great job at doing so (especially The Weeknd).
Clout contains some great production from Southside and CuBeatz, with the dark sounding B minor piano blending very well with the trap beat. Offset gives off a fun verse in this (as well as his catchy "Do anything for the clout" chorus), but the 2nd verse is what boosts this up further, where Cardi delivers some sick flows and great instances of wordplayinvolving the likes of a ticking timebomb and Destiny's Child.
Kygo returns with his enchanting tropical style on Carry On from the forthcoming movie Detective Pikachu, with Ora giving a great vocal performance to back up the summer vibes of the track. Plus that pitch shifting in the instrumental break sounds beautiful.
I really dig the instrumental of Digga D's drill ditty No Diet, it sounds like it came out of a horror game from the early 90's. The chorus sounds like a gangsta version of Bop It with those two-word lines ending in "it" being said throughout. I also like the use of wordplay during the chorus in the line "You know the coke ain't diet". You might think it's a Diet Coke reference, but it may also involve cocaine.
Earth is a song about showing environmental awareness (and I can appreciate the message it's presenting). It also bares some upbeat jungle-style instrumentation consisting of marimba and bongos. The humour is a bit hit-and miss, though there are some funny parts like the Kanye West line (XD) and I quite liked Snoop Dogg as a marijuana plant.

This post has been edited by DalekTurret32: Apr 27 2019, 12:08 PM

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post May 2 2019, 07:54 PM
Post #16
Group icon
I may have to delay the upcoming 03/05/2019 ratings due to technical difficulties involving my computer.

+Quote this post
seven.
post May 5 2019, 09:29 PM
Post #17
Group icon
i can only do one normal thing a day
User: 14,428
hey everyone SevenSeize here, i talk about music, movies, art and culture!

don't worry Dalek i ain't stealing your job, take this as a warm-up for the actual reviews (and it's ~one time only~ so i hope y'all enjoy x)

96. Tyga - Goddamn
94. Bugzy Malone - M.E.N. II
90. SL - Homage
88. P!nk feat. Cash Cash - Can We Pretend
67. Lizzo - Truth Hurts
65. Bastille - Doom Days
64. Catfish & The Bottlemen - Encore
63. MIST feat. Lotto Ash - Different Strokes
61. P!nk feat. Khalid - Hurts 2B Human
60. Catfish & The Bottlemen - Conversation
55. Marshmello feat. Tyga & Chris Brown - Light It Up
42. Not3s - Wanting
18. The RSPB - Let Nature Sing
3. Taylor Swift feat. Brendon Urie - ME!
1. Stormzy - Vossi Bop

Goddamn sees Tyga rapping in a video with half naked girls twerking, bragging about stealing YOUR girl (whose beauty is emphasized by the constant repitition of "goddamn" in the chorus)
M.E.N. II wait there was a first one?
Homage an intriguing song that poses the question- who is SL? why would one give themselves that stage name? is that just your initials? lazy fuck
Can We Pretend maybe that old Cash Cash tune with Bebe Rexha gargling over it wasn't so bad
Truth Hurts Lizzo getting another hit?! i'm seeing this is either caused by some netflix movie or a tik tok meme (i still think of Ke$ha whenever i see that) but regardless they're doing god's work
Doom Days i FELT this, an eye-opening anthem of escapism from the amazing Bastille, who I am incredibly biased towards
Encore sounds like Catfish & The Bottlemen, all the parts, curves and organs are there
Different Strokes a song by aspiring artist MIST listing off his favourite painting styles over a minimal trap beat: "pastel, acrylic, dabbin it on the canvas!"
Hurts 2B Human has that bit where P!nk sings "stop" then the music stops. But the song continued after that which was unfortunate
Conversation i hoped this was a random album interlude with the band just chatting over a cuppa, sadly not
Light It Up a song by Marshmello who also has a song out with CHVRCHES which by the way how f***ing GOOD is Here With Me? one of the best slices of generic factory line pop in a long while
Wanting ok but i'm kinda "wanting" it to end cos the next song...
Let Nature Sing wub.gif in the world of cold, manufactured chart music- an organic, intricately composed track like this can still break through <3 this avant-garde piece of birdsong will bring a tear to your eye
ME! Mrs Swift and her assistant Mr Urie give their daughters (confirmed to be felines) a spelling lesson - e.g. did you know you can't spell "AWESOME" without ME? (AWESOME) Spelling is fun! Tune in next week where she'll channel Beyoncé with a math lesson, 1+1 = ?
Vossi Bop Stormzy's newest hit will have the whole family doing the "vossi bop" at the new year's party, and features relatable lyrics like "link me @ the coffee shop", on my trip to London a few years ago i actually met Stormzy at a Starbucks, he's a cool cat and we still get in contact every so often

+Quote this post
danG
post May 5 2019, 09:32 PM
Post #18
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
Post of the year.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post May 5 2019, 10:45 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Why, thank you, SevenSeize! smile.gif

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post May 7 2019, 10:42 PM
Post #20
Group icon
09/05/2019

#96. Tyga - Goddamn [ADEQUATE]
#94. Bugzy Malone - M.E.N. II [[GOLD]] (Fave Of The Week)
#90. SL - Homage [FAIR] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#88. P!nk feat. Cash Cash - Can We Pretend [SUBLIME]
#65. Bastille - Doom Days [SUBLIME]
#64. Catfish And The Bottlemen - Encore [BRILLIANT]
#63. MIST feat. Lotto Ash - Different Strokes [ALRIGHT]
#61. P!nk feat. Khalid - Hurts 2B Human [SUBLIME]
#60. Catfish And The Bottlemen - Conversation [OUTSTANDING] (FOTW HM)
#55. Marshmello feat. Tyga and Chris Brown - Light It Up [FAIR]
#42. Not3s - Wanting [GREAT]
#19. The RSPB - Let The Nature Sing {IGNORING, [SUBLIME]}
#3. Taylor Swift feat. Brendon Urie - ME! [GOOD]
#1. Stormzy - Vossi Bop [GREAT]

Goddamn may have some suggestive lines, like that Hershey line, but it also has a good beat (with that lower range string instrument) from D.A Doman and some decent flows from Tyga.
M.E.N. II serves as a sequel to Bugzy Malone's 2015 track M.E.N. and shows what has changed in Bugzy’s life four years after the release of that track. The insight in his life is detailed really well through the lyrics, with the decisions he made, as well as the struggles he had to put up with. The synth chords placed over a trap beat in the first half, along with a section of solo piano + voice somewhere in the 2nd half, are also greatly produced to back up Malone's vocal performance.
Homage has a good beat and some parts were okay, but I'm not fond of most of the lines in the 1st verse, such as one where a girl is wanting SL's love but he can't since his 'heart is full' and one involving b*lls on a tongue.
This week sees two sets of two tracks coming from recently released albums. The first one being from Pink's number one album Hurts 2B Human. Both Can We Pretend and the album's title track Hurts 2B Human explore the nostalgia of relationships. The uplifting piano chords in the chorus of the former manage to overshadow some bland lines like "Can we pretend that I really like your shoes?", as well as a swell drop from Cash Cash, and the latter takes a look at vulnerable feelings during a post break-up situation with some good chemistry between P!nk and Khalid.
The other set of two tracks comes from Catfish And The Bottlemen's 3rd studio effort The Balance, the two tracks being Encore and Conversation. Both bear some awesome rock production from Jacknife Lee (who has produced for the likes of Snow Patrol, U2 and R.E.M.). I also like the themes both songs deal with. The former shows a couple who prefer to be friends instead of being in a serious relationship, and the latter is dedicated to the father of lead singer Van McCann, and how his guidance has helped him.
Truth Hurts is a really good anti-commitment anthem with some great sounds from a 80's-style low pitched keyboard and a sublime vocal performance from Lizzo.
Doom Days contains some atmospheric multi-tracking involving vocoders (reminiscent of the ones used in Bon Iver's 2016 album 22, A Million). It's one of those 'lost soul coalescing with an estranged partner' songs I usually end up adoring, with a dystopian feel to compliment the themes. There's also a fantastic synth addition in the chorus. If only there was another verse added to the song. Oh well!
Different Strokes is a catchy afrobeat track. Some of the sounds remind me of Wretch 32's 2017 track Tell Me, which also carries some Afrobeat influences iirc. It might end up growing on me upon relistens now that the summer is near. But what even is a 'ye ye'?
Looks like Tyga is back, as he appears on Marshmello's new track Light It Up along with Chris Brown. I do quite like the party feel of this, Brown does some good backing vocal harmonisation in the 2nd chorus and Tyga's flows in the 1st verse are decent. The chorus does get a bit repetitive though.
Wanting sees Not3s put on a nice Ramz-style personality. I like how the lyrics show Not3s not wanting any other girl, since the one he has is special enough to him. The syncopated beat is pretty catchy, the electric guitar playing in the choruses gives a funky sound and the piano that comes in the bridge sounds beautiful.
Let The Nature Sing is quite a peculiar chart occasion. It's not everyday an instrumental track hits the Top 40 (The last one I can think of is Ten Walls' 2014 track Walking With Elephants (which peaked at #6). The only sounds coming from this are some birds chirping (so birdsong then?), along with the occasional electronic sound effect. It reminds me of when a two minute silence from The Royal British Legion hit number 20 back in 2010. The RSPB focuses on protecting the lives of birds, and this showcase of the birds happily singing their song serves a great way to remind us of their huge importance to Earth and the nature surrounding it.
ME! contains a lot of colour in its production, with some good chemistry between Brendon Urie and Taylor Swift. The triumphant brass instruments in the chorus remind me of some of the songs I've heard from Panic! At The Disco's (Urie's band for those that don't know) 2018 album Pray For The Wicked.
Vossi Bop shows an amazing rhyme scheme and wordplay from Stormzy as well as some fire flows from him over a dark sounding beat. It also goes to show that not all songs involving a viral dance need to repeat their titles over and over in the chorus to be infectious amongst an audience.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:02 AM