BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RJCTS < XI > Final Results, a quest for justice completed / spreadsheet page 3
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brer
post 2nd April 2019, 04:40 PM
Post #1
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Thanks to the 22 of you (plus myself for 23 votes in total x) who voted in this final, not bad turnout for a contest full of DNQs that's arriving 3 months late and at the same time as a main contest cool.gif assuming I won't get any more votes in now, though if any do turn up in my inbox in the next 20 minutes I'll still count them and just do a quick recalculation.

All of the countries with multiple entries in the final voted which dramatically reduces the number of deductions cheer.gif however unfortunately the following 15 songs will still be hit with a 15 point deduction due to their parent countries not voting:

Beaverdonia Impakt Nation 106 // Panama - Always
The Actual Republic of Bellamia 108 // Ruel - Younger
Cumulonimbia 107 // LPLX - DAMSON
Daehun 109 // IU - You & I
Desbuanda 107 // Tash Sultana - Mystik
Fljótavík 104 // G Flip - About You
Hendinia 101 // SUNMI - Heroine
Mulgracia 106 // July Jones - I Fall Apart
New Lexico 106 // CYN - Believer
Summericia 109 // Anne Clark - Our Darkness
Taahino 108 // mewithoutYou - Julia (Or, 'Holy To The LORD' On The Bells Of Horses)
Ultraviolenceland 105 // Vennu Mallesh - It's My Life What Ever I Wanna Do
United States of Jack 103 // Liv Dawson - Talk
Utopia 110 // Liela Moss - Memories And Faces
Vülkyria 103 // Brendan Maclean - House Of Air

That doesn't mean the winner isn't among this list though, last year's winner managed to win despite the deduction (after all, 15 points is not really that much x).

I've decided, as I haven't prepared any scoreboards and I think it might be more interesting anyway, that I'm just going to reveal the results in reverse order from 39th to 1st rather than posting everyone's votes individually (like the last Unknown Pleasures). I'll still copy and paste all the PMs at the end although I don't think anyone did any fancy formatting anyway x

Shall begin at 6pm and will try and aim to be done by 8pm since there'll be a plug session for BJSC 113 semi-final 1 at that time and I don't want to be multitasking ~
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
FrankLuck
post 2nd April 2019, 04:59 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,284

Yay, loved the reverse order reveal in UP, hope my faves will do well! cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 2nd April 2019, 05:00 PM
Post #3
Group icon

39th | 19 points (4 votes) | Unovia 101 // Vitaa - Comme Dab

Despite all the deductions it's a song that actually didn't get a deduction that comes in last place - I feel pretty gutted for this as it's just another case of Unovia seemingly being cursed in TBO and certainly nowhere near the worst song on the list, actually wasn't too far off my points! Sadly Vitaa's French bop couldn't attract too many points and finishes bottom of the pile. </3 (but hey, at least it made it to the final ~)

38th | 19 points {15 point deduction} (6 votes) | Ultraviolenceland 105 // Vennu Mallesh - It's My Life What Ever I Wanna Do

Ultraviolenceland don't QUITE match their win from the last Rejects, instead settling for avoiding last place thanks to a tiebreak. This actually got points from all of the first 4 voters so I thought it could have actually been an ikonek novelty hit but sadly the points dried up after that. If only Beaverdonia (and indeed Ultraviolenceland) had voted, a poor icon being treated this way x

37th | 23 points {15 point deduction} | The Actual Republic of Bellamia 108 // Ruel - Younger

TARO Bellamia have been out of luck in the BJSC since the 97th contest (which they co-hosted and was their last appearance in a final), only entering a handful of contests since but DNQing in all of them. Ruel - easily the best of their recent DNQs for what it's worth - making it to the final here was a token of appreciation for the country but unfortunately he doesn't make it too far here.

36th | 27 points {15 point deduction} | Mulgracia 106 // July Jones - I Fall Apart

And in the first post we also lose Mulgracia's comeback entry, this cover of a Post Malone hit. No surprise at the deduction here since James seems to have left us again.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 2nd April 2019, 05:03 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

I never would've called 'Comme Dab' coming last ohmy.gif and Vennu obviously deserved way better of course. </3

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 2nd April 2019, 05:04 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

No real losses but that Unovia song is at least quite enjoyable if not something that attracts votes.

btw in absence of any natural horse, I'm behind Skall to win with... something.

+Quote this post
FrankLuck
post 2nd April 2019, 05:06 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

I guess not too many poppy countries voted...
It's sad to see 'Comme Dab' coming last - I'm not exactly the target audience but still gave it 3 points.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 2nd April 2019, 05:10 PM
Post #7
Group icon

35th | 32 points | Terra Avium 103 // Strawhatz - Koto (feat. ASUKA and DJ UPPERCUT)

After its cruel removal from the final of BJSC 103, 'Koto' (not the CloZee song from the same contest or the artist who recently made the final with 'Tiger Fire Cyber Fighter' x) had another chance here to charm everyone with its bizarre and unique structure and visuals. Unfortunately it still hasn't resonated too much as it ended up with the 2nd least points of all the songs (boosted up a bit by deductions). But still yay for it getting another moment in the spotlight xx

34th | 38 points {15 point deduction} | Utopia 110 // Liela Moss - Memories And Faces

The only one of Utopia's entries in their 2018 comeback to DNQ, I was thrilled to see this beauty making it into the final here. Not too surprised that it's finished low down especially with a deduction though.

33rd | 39 points {15 point deduction} | United States of Jack 103 // Liv Dawson - Talk

Maybe the last time we'll see a United States of Jack result in a BJSC, unless they decide to make another comeback later down the line. This more poppy and upbeat sound from Liv Dawson couldn't match the success of her earlier entry 'Still' in the main contest but it still had enough supporters to make it here and do reasonably well before its deduction.

32nd | 40 points {15 point deduction} | Taahino 108 // mewithoutYou - Julia (Or, 'Holy To The LORD' On The Bells Of Horses)

ROBBED ALL OVER AGAIN. :'( My favourite on the list and one of the best entries of all of 2018 imo, mewithoutYou still struggled to gain too much traction here (not helped by the deduction ofc). And that's despite it actually having 8 nominations in the earlier stage (only 2 other songs had more). Ah well, was still nice to hear this again and see the new music video ~

31st | 49 points | Terra Avium 110 // Goblin - Suspiria

Bookending this section, Terra Avium form the bread of a deducted song sandwich as their retro horror soundtrack also falls out within the bottom 10 unfortunately. Not too bad a result for a song that came 2nd from last in its semi-final though - although we're still yet to see Tartford's song which originally came last, just how much has that ended up overperforming? thinking.gif

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post 2nd April 2019, 05:11 PM
Post #8
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421

Unovia definitely wasn't the worst but I can see why it failed to gain many points! Still surprised Mulgracia didn't get vetoed but it was a better than expected cover of I Fall Apart! Also Ruel is one of the few good Bellamia songs so I'm sad to see that go so early.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 2nd April 2019, 05:13 PM
Post #9
Group icon

Suspiria sounded much better now than in its original contest, I was actually on the justice train for this one! Shame about Julia too.

+Quote this post
FrankLuck
post 2nd April 2019, 05:16 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Only lost 1 of my top 12 ( mewithoutYou-11 points), which is quite good, although I thought Julia will do A LOT better.
'We're From Barcelona' to win pls.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 2nd April 2019, 05:16 PM
Post #11
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Oh I thought I voted for Unovia but turns out they just missed my top 15. Definitely an unexpected last place, the Actual Republic deserved far better as well.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 2nd April 2019, 05:20 PM
Post #12
Group icon

30th | 55 points (5 votes) | Lotunia 105 // Sofia Jannok - Snölejoninna (feat. Addeboy Vs. Cliff)

Just inside the top 30 is this hypnotising bit of quirky folky pop (or 'yoik' as Wikipedia is telling me her genre is) from the Sámi region of Norway. Would have liked to see this one doing a bit better but it did average 11 points each from the 5 people who voted for it so at least its few fans were big ones!

29th | 55 points (8 votes) | Altyr Muunilinst 109 // Laura Branigan - Solitaire

Beating out Sofia Jannok on a tiebreak is Altyr Muunilinst with their 80s tune from Laura Branigan (RIP), which was a top 10 hit on the US Hot 100 but didn't see the same love in the UK (and not quite as much from the BJSC voting public either).

28th | 56 points | Niceland 110 // Sotiria and Unheilig - Hallo Leben

Niceland's most iconic DNQ of the year, 'We Are The West Indies', sadly didn't make it here but they did get to the final with this bit of German pop rock (which we had a bit of trouble playing in the plug session xx). It's done well enough here to avoid the bottom 10.

27th | 59 points | Kluminican Republic 106 // Odetta Hartman - Misery

Kluminican Republic's brief mid-year comeback, this unique and murderous track ends up as the less popular of their two offerings here (despite being the better of the two imo x).

26th | 61 points | Wholune 109 // Jerry Williams - I'm Not In Love With You

And immediately followed by another country who still have a second song to come, I was pretty surprised that this qualified but it's ended up not doing badly for itself at all! This reminds me a bit of Lily Allen, it's quite cute. But as expected Wholune's debut entry has ended up as the more popular one here.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 2nd April 2019, 05:26 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Sofia Jannok and Odetta Hartman deserved better!

+Quote this post
NocheLuna
post 2nd April 2019, 05:30 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Meh.
User: 24,695

30th? I'm happy with that tbh, besides my top 3 is still yet to come ~

+Quote this post
J00prstar
Post #15
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Great writeups Bré 😁

+Quote this post
Brer
Post #16
Group icon

25th | 63 points {15 point deduction} | Vülkyria 103 // Brendan Maclean - House Of Air

Poor Brendan Maclean left to fend for himself a second time with a deduction (I'd not have allowed him to be treated this way if I'd got to send this instead as I intended to at some point)!!! This breezy bit of synthpop, notorious online for its very... interesting music video (if you've not already seen my warnings, I warn again to not look it up x) was one of 2 songs that got 9 nominations, the most of any song (half of all the people who nominated) but falls well short of actually being a frontrunner, being only 15th even before the deduction. Deserved better.

24th | 66 points | Skall 104 // Los Campesinos! - This Is How You Spell "HAHAHA, We Destroyed The Hopes And Dreams Of A Generation Of Faux-Romantics"

It had to happen soon, Skall see the first of their impressive four entries drop out. All of them have done respectably but the wooden spoon of the bunch goes to this mid 00s indie jam with a nice spoken word section and a very very long title (the longest title of any BJSC entry to date I believe x).

23rd | 68 points {15 point deduction} (8 votes) | Hendinia 101 // SUNMI - Heroine

This missed the final in the first place due to a deduction and unsurprisingly has another deduction here but it's still not done badly at all especially considering the voter base in this final wasn't exactly the types you'd expect to be super into a K-Pop version of Cheryl's 'Fight For This Love'.

22nd | 68 points {15 point deduction} (9 votes) | Daehun 109 // IU - You & I

Winning a battle of two deducted K-Pop songs on a tiebreak is this stringy offering from IU which dates back to 2011 and is equipped with a very long and cinematic video. is it bad I like the music in the video's outro more than the actual song (seriously though this song was better than I remember it being). Jupiterdonia end up with the highest placed K-Pop song, but how high will they be?

21st | 69 points {15 point deduction} | Fljótavík 104 | G Flip - About You

The deducted entries continue to drop out thick and fast, just missing the top 20 here is G Flip for Fljótavík, a nice little song (I prefer 'Killing My Time' personally but both are miles better than the absolutely awful 'Drink Too Much' at least x). This beats the 26th place finish she got in the BJSC 112 final despite the deduction.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 2nd April 2019, 05:32 PM
Post #17
Group icon

Oh come on that's like half of my top votes! Heroine is wonderful and I'm quite critical of K-Pop these days, and then there was easily no better song in this final than Los Campesinos, such a captivating upbeat joy <3

+Quote this post
Riser
post 2nd April 2019, 05:34 PM
Post #18
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

I had no idea Solitaire was a top 10 hit on Billboard, I had never heard it prior to BJSC which is a shame because it sounds great for a 35-year-old track!

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post 2nd April 2019, 05:35 PM
Post #19
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421

still surprised that Odetta has performed worse than Queen of the Sea despite it's original points tally suggesting that would happen. It's being slept on! Also still pleased the latter is still in contention, happy with top 20 biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 2nd April 2019, 05:47 PM
Post #20
Group icon

Been thrown off my plan to do a post per 10 minutes as I'm having dinner now and having to multitask kink.gif still getting through it quickly though ~

20th | 71 points {15 point deduction} | Beaverdonia Impakt Nation 106 // Panama - Always

The Impakt Nation sadly couldn't lend us their impakt with a set of votes here and thus sadly get lumbered with a deduction for this nice little bit of indie pop. Maybe they didn't think it was novelty enough to defend unlike 'ACTIVEWEAR' last year. This would have been another Rejects top 10 for them (possibly) if they'd voted! Who says no one votes for Beaverdonia x

19th | 72 points {15 point deduction} (8 votes) | Desbuanda 107 // Tash Sultana - Mystik

The continually MIA Desbuanda (come back!!1) managed to pick up 3 18s in this final, the most of any song! Unfortunately that was the majority of their points and with the deduction this ends up falling to the bottom of the top 20, though still one place higher than the final position of Tash's other entry 'Jungle'. This is the better of the two for me so happy with this.

18th | 72 points (10 votes; no 18s) | Holland-Oats 106 // Chet Faker - Gold

Holland-Oats' results last year were frustrating for me because, Petit Biscuit aside, I thought their DNQs (well, this and Morgan Saint at least) were much better than their songs that actually made the final! Another bit of cool indie pop, this also finishes top 20, I actually thought it'd do a bit better than this but I guess it's one that attracts lots of low points but not too many high ones.

17th | 72 points {15 point deduction} (10 votes; 1 18) | Cumulonimbia 107 // LPLX - DAMSON

Another deductee that would of course have been (possibly) top 10 had the country voted, and winning the race of the two songs from 107 that did well enough to make it here (both of which had deductions) on a tiebreak, this is a nice result for probably the song that's grown on me the most as a result of this contest (not that I didn't love it at the time but it deserved more than 6 points from me back then in retrospect and got 13 from me here). A vibe ~

16th | 76 points {15 point deduction} | Summericia 109 // Anne Clark - Our Darkness

And we lose another deducted song - that leaves New Lexico's CYN as the best performing song that had a deduction, could she still go all the way to win like Marmozets last year?? Just missing the top 15 here is this brilliant spoken word / electronica track from the 80s, one of two songs here that was my fave in its semi the first time around (along with mewithoutYou). I definitely didn't expect this to do so well here though!

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 07:26 PM