BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Do you think Ed Sheeran deserves so much success?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Dobbo
post 17th February 2015, 08:39 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

+ was an amazing album. 75% of x is utter crap.

Does he deserve success? Of course. Does he deserve the sheer amount he's getting? Not in any way, shape or form.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Riser
post 17th February 2015, 09:33 PM
Post #22
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Ed Sheeran absolutely deserves all of his success.

However, he does not deserve all of the money he's making. I think he should give some of it to me jameela.jpg

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 17th February 2015, 09:35 PM
Post #23
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

QUOTE(Riser @ Feb 17 2015, 09:33 PM) *
Ed Sheeran absolutely deserves all of his success.

However, he does not deserve all of the money he's making. I think he should give some of it to me jameela.jpg

!!!

+Quote this post
Explozian
post 17th February 2015, 09:37 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,512

He should be blowing tramps in alleyways for 5ps (the WORST COIN) to be getting away with such twee pish.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 17th February 2015, 09:57 PM
Post #25
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

QUOTE(Noahspike @ Feb 17 2015, 07:15 PM) *
Off-topic but I would say leaving home for London at 16 and not having a roof over his head for years/sleeping on the underground/asking those who turn up to his gigs if anyone has a couch for the night is relatively uncommon! Assuming all of that is true of course, but I know someone who knew him from his early teens and verified most of it. I think his struggle was more noteworthy than the norm for a successful artist.

I don't agree - I think it has been exaggerated (mostly by the media) to make a better story. I don't doubt that it has been a struggle, but most artists go through similarly testing circumstances.

Pulp for example did their first Peel session in 1981.

They didn't get a #2 hit and mainstream success until 1995 - 14 years later.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 19th February 2015, 10:30 AM
Post #26
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

It's interesting seeing the responses here, not least because it echoes similar sort of discussions that were bandied around 10 years ago, with Dido. She had kind of sleeper recognition in 1998/99 - mainly in America - then her massive success with 'No Angel' and 'Life for Rent'. She's returned to a more sedate level of success since then - still sells albums, but not in the frenzied quantities she once did but she's still well thought of by her peers for the most part.

I somehow get the impression the same will be true of Ed further down the line. I think part of his popularity is that he is completely not phased by the trappings that come with being part and parcel of a mega league popstar, there is no smoke and mirrors as it were - this is a man who, for all his success last year, cited having afternoon tea with Van Morrison as a highlight. Boring to some, but exciting to him and as long as he is happy with that, who cares?

It's all about balance at the end of the day - if pop was full of Minajs, Grandes etc it'd be tedious. Just as if it was full of, no doubt the many copycats of Ed that will ensue from record company A&R meetings in the coming year and a bit, that'd be boring too. Popstars can be normal.

Regardless, I have always had time for Ed - 'X' was my favourite album of last year, and I loved his Radio 2 show he did recently. He actually filmed the 'Lego House' video at my old student's union just as his career was taking off - his show that same night was sold out as well, I remember being gutted I couldn't get tickets but thinking, 'This lad will go far'. Continued success to him I say.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 19th February 2015, 01:27 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

Dido >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ed Sheeran though.

+Quote this post
Casey
post 19th February 2015, 05:45 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,375

I don't like his style of music at all, but I wouldn't say he doesn't deserve his success. He doesn't seem like a tool, and he probably puts in a lot of time into his songwriting and music. It's the general public that makes him successful, so if they like the music, that's their prerogative. I think there's much more interesting music out there that deserves the same level of success, but that doesn't make him undeserving.

This post has been edited by Casey: 19th February 2015, 05:49 PM

+Quote this post
Simon.
post 19th February 2015, 06:45 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
User: 126

I REALLY don't see the appeal with him at all mellow.gif I just don't get it.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 20th February 2015, 10:42 AM
Post #30
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

QUOTE(T Boy @ Feb 19 2015, 01:27 PM) *
Dido >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ed Sheeran though.

I just meant in terms of the whole people saying she was boring kind of thing. Same sort of criticism directed at Ed.

I think this article from The Guardian around the time of his first album probably explains things better than I could manage: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/feb/...ise-for-my-fans

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 20th February 2015, 03:09 PM
Post #31
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Feb 20 2015, 10:42 AM) *
I just meant in terms of the whole people saying she was boring kind of thing. Same sort of criticism directed at Ed.

I think this article from The Guardian around the time of his first album probably explains things better than I could manage: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/feb/...ise-for-my-fans

I always saw it differently. People always said Dido was boring but for me she was amazing.

People keep telling me how amazing Ed Sheeran is, yet nothing I've heard has converted me. He's not exactly boring, just not very good at what he does. People may find Dido boring but to me she's excellent at her own thing.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 27th February 2015, 08:00 AM
Post #32
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

I honestly don't understand the full-on hate he's been getting on Buzzjack.I get that "Sing" was pretty overwhelming, but "Dont " has got to be one of the most BRILLIANT songs of the decade so far, and such an advantageous move for him, too. Once again, I blame industry overplay for making you guys turn on him so easily.

To be fair, though... "Give Me Love" is his best track...

+Quote this post
MrIndependent
post 27th February 2015, 03:48 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 9,520

Yes.

The guy has vocals for days; he can sing a range of octaves and has an extremely impressive vocal range for starters. To be involved in the songwriting process, production, instrumentation and management of your music at all once is something that a lot of artists in pop music (which is the genre his music seems to be boxed in to) can't and aren't willing to do. However, secondly, his voice suits a lot of sub genres, of which he has so far experimented with styles of pop/rock, urban, R&B, dubstep and dance. To me, he is genuinely not an average pop artist because his primary sub genre, or style if you like, seems to be acoustic/folk combined with urban. Not your average pop act, and not your average alternative one either. Like I said in Sam Smith's thread, many of his compositions are masterful and a lot of his unknown recordings are some of his best. When people hear the name Ed Sheeran I think the image that pops into one's head is an average everyday Joe with an acoustic guitar, and it's difficult to be original and inventive when you put into that box. The reality is he has much more to offer.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 05:57 PM