BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

41 Pages V  « < 29 30 31 32 33 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Take That - Odyssey: The Greatest Hits, The #1 album, released 23 Nov 2018
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
pippa
post 4th May 2019, 02:48 PM
Post #601
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

Wonderful to see the album staying Top 40 again this week.
To date the chart run for the album hasn't been bad at all, and platinum status is coming soon.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 5th May 2019, 01:34 PM
Post #602
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Im glad its had a fairly decent chart run and hopefully has a few more weeks left in it. The album should continue to sell even in low numbers for a good while yet.

+Quote this post
jay727
post 6th May 2019, 04:30 PM
Post #603
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 12,273

Incredible how much the album charts have changed in the last 10 years or so.

I wonder how this album would have done around the time of Circus

This post has been edited by jay727: 6th May 2019, 04:31 PM

+Quote this post
dylandog
post 6th May 2019, 06:05 PM
Post #604
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 20,635

Jay, I don't think the album chart has changed that much. Yes, sales are down but artists such as Adele, and Ed Sheeran still sell in vast numbers.

There are multiple reasons for TT's plummeting sales. They've been around since 2005 and for most artists there is a decline in their popularity the longer they're around. Also, the loss of Jay, the tax issue and most importantly in my view their musical output. Latterly, it simply hasn't been good enough. I maintain that they've move too far from the BW and Circus era in term of their musical output and they've suffered for it. Why they've chosen this route is puzzling in my view.

As a live act they're still up there as one of the best, in the UK at least. Their shows are second to none. and although I didn't particularly enjoy the III or Wonderland tours, the current tour is fab. The reviews have been exceptionally good and their ticket sales are massive - so why have their album sales declined so much? People are willing to fork out excessive amounts of money for a show ticket, but not £10 for an album?

This post has been edited by dylandog: 6th May 2019, 06:08 PM

+Quote this post
milly
post 7th May 2019, 02:39 PM
Post #605
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,540

I finally managed to get back home, after 3 nights in a row of TT smile.gif Best nights of my life.
The visuals aren't as elaborate as I've seen on other tours, but, for me, at least, that was completely fine, cause they were distracting me anyways from the boys. I loved the moments I could focus entirely on them. I can honestly say that I fell in love with Gary's voice all over again. Love Ain't Here and Pray were stand-outs for me. I have no idea how he can sing while displaying so much energy on stage - they were literally moving all the time.
I was surprised of how good Howard sounded. Mark was a bit hit and miss. Babe was definitely a great live moment and he sounded nice, but, when he shared the leads on other songs, it was very inconsistent. But I don't think anyone really cared or actually noticed, cause everyone was there to have a good time - well, some more than others (I had no idea that some people could drink this much biggrin.gif )

The best surprise of the whole experience for me was Rick Astley. He's truly an artist on his own right, he's charismatic, he has a strong voice and his songs are really really beautiful. I wouldn't mind seeing a full concert of his own. I was really glad that, on Saturday, the venue was full for Rick's act.

+Quote this post
dylandog
post 7th May 2019, 07:22 PM
Post #606
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 20,635

Oh Milly, so, so pleased you had a wonderful time. I agree regarding Howard. His vocals were very strong in Manchester. I think he's finally at ease with singing live -at the grand old age of 51!!:)

I have a similar viewpoint to you where Mark's concerned. I think I also posted that Babe was much better than I expected. I thought it was a sweet rendition. I agree, Pray was absolutely gorgeous on the night I went. I'm assuming that you went for the three nights at the 02? The crowd in Manchester was fantastic, and the audience was far more engaged and vocal than at the previous two tours. The lads were as you say incredible in terms of their energy levels . I defy anyone to find other artists who display such delight and joy when performing. It's quite infectious and the three of them seem to be a very tight unit who support and encourage each other - it's lovely to see them perform.

Wondering about your view on the set list. Because it was a GH I guess they couldn't stray too far from the obvious choices. For my part I would have been happy for Giants, GRFI and Cry to be excluded in favour of a couple of ballads - but we all have our own preferences. I would have liked songs they haven't sung live such as WYBTFM/ When We Were Young included in the show, or songs such as Eight Letters and HUAL.

+Quote this post
milly
post 8th May 2019, 06:33 AM
Post #607
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,540

I already knew that the setlist would be the one on the album, therefore I didn't get my hopes up that I'd finally hear WYBTFM smile.gif I wouldn't leave Cry out of the setlist, cause it's one of my favorites and the crowd was going nuts on it, but I'd have definitely left out some of the songs and opted for others. Giants is probably one of the lowest parts of the concert, crowd wise.

Yeah, I was at the O2, on the 2nd, the 3rd and the 4th. The last two nights, the crowd was overwhelming. Even Howard noticed jokingly that it was probably due to most of them being drunk laugh.gif

+Quote this post
pippa
post 8th May 2019, 03:18 PM
Post #608
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

The chorus sections of Giants are great but the verses are flat and hard for a crowd to react too.

+Quote this post
jay727
post 9th May 2019, 10:45 AM
Post #609
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Great to see Odyssey has now turned Platinum!

https://twitter.com/garybarlow/status/11264...0709236736?s=21

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 11th May 2019, 01:05 AM
Post #610
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Back in the top 30 this week aswell and still top 50 here in ireland.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 13th May 2019, 11:31 PM
Post #611
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Top 30 in the mids so should officially hit platinum this week on actual sales and not shipments.

+Quote this post
ViscountViktor
post 14th May 2019, 08:21 PM
Post #612
Group icon
New Entry
User: 81,907

My first ever Take That concert last night.

Was seated very far back but luckily the B stage was right in front of us which was great.

Was nice to see the parts being shared with Howard and Mark in Could It Be Magic and Love Ain't Here Anymore.

Agree with others that Howard is on top form, he sounds really confident singing and there's no doubt in his abilities.

Again agree that Mark is sounding the worst of the three, but still decent. Babe was fantastic, but he struggled in Everlasting, which I thought he would.

Overall an amazing experience. They really powered though all the hits. Loved the stage, Rick Astley, and Lulu as well. Lots of bang for your buck there.

+Quote this post
ViscountViktor
post 14th May 2019, 09:10 PM
Post #613
Group icon
New Entry

It was also fantastic to see full versions of hits like Sure, LAHA, Babe which haven't been played much on previous tours.

Sure was last played Beautiful World tour, Babe (Mark singing) Ultimate, LAHA (all three) Ultimate. Plus of course Everything Changes. So really special to see all on once concert.

The only negative for me was no original version of Pray, the slow one was alright but I was just waiting for the drummer to come in and then they could go into the dance. A shame.

This post has been edited by ViscountViktor: 18th May 2019, 12:36 AM

+Quote this post
jay727
post 15th May 2019, 06:33 PM
Post #614
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Another great concert from TT! Was at the O2 last week for what was my sixth tour!

First thing I’ll say is the set list was great and flowed really well. There weren’t really any ‘stop-start’ moments, while they change the stage and such.

That leads me to the staging itself. Whilst the Orb was impressive, I feel it was under utilised.

There were also no ‘wow’ moments - be it a flying bike, 30ft ringmaster or wonderland-esc giant screen. I felt the staging was their poorest since they returned.

Vocally, Mark was fantastic. Everlasting was a big highlight! Howard also did well on Spin.

Unsurprisingly, Gary’s vocals were as strong as ever. Some of the notes he hit in Love Ain’t Here Anymore.

Pray was interesting. It was very nicely done, but I was hoping we’d get at least one verse and chorus of the original dance and speed.

Overall: solid concert, but felt like they could have taken it up a notch or two with the staging.

This post has been edited by jay727: 15th May 2019, 06:39 PM

+Quote this post
jay727
post 17th May 2019, 08:58 PM
Post #615
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Odyssey officially platinum now on the BPI website.

The album itself is down from 28 to 31 this week

This post has been edited by jay727: 17th May 2019, 09:01 PM

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 19th May 2019, 11:52 AM
Post #616
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Great on both and hopefully it will stay around the chart for another while.

+Quote this post
ViscountViktor
post 19th May 2019, 11:45 PM
Post #617
Group icon
New Entry

Went for the second time tonight, even better show than the first. The last Arena show of this tour. All the songs sounded fantastic.

Two snippets I found interesting from the tour programme. The band's favourite song to play live is Sure, and they're delighted it's back for the first time since Beautiful World.

And Mark is really happy to be singing Babe again, having not sung it properly since Ultimate, as he didn't feel it fit with the second iteration of Take That.

What an unforgettable experience Odyssey Live has been.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 20th May 2019, 02:27 AM
Post #618
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Sure is a song i never liked and still dont but its good Take That are enjoying it. I do have a soft spot for Babe,

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 20th May 2019, 05:31 PM
Post #619
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

On track for top 40 again this week as its 32 in the mids. Half a year on the chart now.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 22nd May 2019, 07:15 PM
Post #620
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

The tour did benefit the album in the last few weeks and helped get the album clearly over the platinum line.

+Quote this post

41 Pages V  « < 29 30 31 32 33 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 10:40 AM