BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Alien: Covenant, 19/05/17
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post 25th December 2016, 12:41 PM
Post #1
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

First trailer for this just before Christmas, not one of my most hyped movies for 2017 but looking forward to it still. Apparently, we get two Michael Fassbenders in the film too, the more the better I guess laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Josh.: 25th December 2016, 12:42 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 25th December 2016, 03:20 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
This actually looks really good, Promethus was great but I think this will be better.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 25th December 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872
Looks decent. Hopefully we can banish the memories of 3, Resurrection and AvP

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 26th December 2016, 01:59 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
Looks good although typical Alien fodder - can't be as bad as Prometheus - good that Fassbender is in it again.

Quite interested to know what that insect creature was from the footage?!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 1st March 2017, 07:35 PM
Post #5
Group icon
c:
New trailer:

Got quite interesting towards the end so I hope there's some good action scenes. There's just something about Katherine Waterston that I really don't like though laugh.gif She was the worst character in Fantastic Beasts and she looks annoying here too laugh.gif

+Quote this post
James' Guitar
post 2nd March 2017, 11:09 AM
Post #6
Group icon
New Entry
User: 25,460
seems interesting. looking forward to it.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 14th May 2017, 10:46 PM
Post #7
Group icon
c:
I've only seen the first one and now this out of all the Alien movies so I'm not all that clued up with the lore behind them but I did have fun watching this as far as monster movies go. I liked the two characters that Michael Fassbender played and there were some interesting moments between the two of them. I think the most horrifying moment in the whole film is knowing that David is the only person awake on the Covenant with all those beings at his disposal... . Some of the dialogue really was dreadful though, I haven't cringed this much all year at some of the lines. The worst being the flute fingering innuendos and also "don't let the bed bugs bite" laugh.gif

I kind of just preferred Life from earlier in the year too, similar concept but better executed in my opinion. The twist was much stronger, Jake Gyllenhaal was nicer to look at than Michael Fassbender tbh (tongue.gif), Ryan Reynolds and his undeniable charisma graced the screen and it didn't suffer from the presence of the intolerable Katherine Waterston. Why does she look like she's permanently on the verge of tears in every scene ever?!? Crack a smile, love... laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 16th May 2017, 08:59 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
I preferred Prometheus overall, though both were better than any Alien movie after Aliens.

I have a similar complaint with this sequel to the prequel as I had with the sequel to the original sequel - hope that makes sense laugh.gif - the next storyline immediately invalidates the climax of the previous movie and just leads to one basic truth: Everyone is killed by the unstoppable Aliens. There are plot twists and manipulations along the way, but essentially the over-arching theme is Everyone Dies. That ruins the earlier movies and means there is never any suspense because you expect everyone to die and are looking for the (fairly obvious) clues.

Fassbender is always good, Scott is a great director, but a mere 6/10 for me. Alien and Aliens remain classics and there should have been no more sequels. I remain open to the prequels depending on how the next one ends.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 17th May 2017, 07:41 PM
Post #9
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
QUOTE(popchartfreak @ May 16 2017, 09:59 PM) *
I preferred Prometheus overall, though both were better than any Alien movie after Aliens.

I have a similar complaint with this sequel to the prequel as I had with the sequel to the original sequel - hope that makes sense laugh.gif - the next storyline immediately invalidates the climax of the previous movie and just leads to one basic truth: Everyone is killed by the unstoppable Aliens. There are plot twists and manipulations along the way, but essentially the over-arching theme is Everyone Dies. That ruins the earlier movies and means there is never any suspense because you expect everyone to die and are looking for the (fairly obvious) clues.

Fassbender is always good, Scott is a great director, but a mere 6/10 for me. Alien and Aliens remain classics and there should have been no more sequels. I remain open to the prequels depending on how the next one ends.

See I slightly disagree here, as it's clear what Covenant ended up being - it was not originally the thought when Prometheus was written. I am sure the plan would have been for Shaw to continue through and the Engineers would be the ones would would end up creating the Aliens. But the film received so much hate that imo they tried to rectify everything that people disliked about Prometheus while still carrying the story. Which it succeeds at.

I really enjoyed the film. It was suspenseful and some good action. I wish a few more characters were fleshed out though as you never really cared for any of them (Tennesse was the only one I was rooting for properly). I did initially guess the twist, then I decided that it was not happening once the alien had got on the ship. Was a good twist though, I'm just not sure why he let them live biggrin.gif Properly to experiment on them when they wake up!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 12:06 PM