BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Spotify: Most streamed Spice Girls songs, Updated for 2023 on page 6!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
sammy01
post 3rd January 2023, 03:45 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

Amazing to think some of these classic album tracks did the same amount of streams all year as Christmas Wrapping did in 2 days.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 3rd January 2023, 07:54 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Jan 2 2023, 08:17 PM) *
Now it's time to catch up w00t.gif and give Spiceboy a nudge while you're at it xx

So it’s your fault he poked me!!!

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 3rd January 2023, 07:56 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Jan 3 2023, 01:40 PM) *
Interesting of their more popular songs it is the more downtempo that aren't as popular.

I think that makes sense tbh. Even though they had gorgeous ballads and actually released more ballads than uptempo, their chaotic image and vibe lends itself to remembering them as a upbeat pop group.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 3rd January 2023, 08:04 PM
Post #44
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

What's this? What is Step to Me 25 on, Jay's faves? Last Time (First Time) Lover is a BOP!

+Quote this post
Equinox8
post 3rd January 2023, 09:38 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 132,865

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Jan 2 2023, 08:50 PM) *
Feed your love I rate but it needs a radio edit to knock it down to 4 minutes. 5+ minute songs just aren't streaming friendly.

I'm honestly trying to understand the comment: the album version of Viva Forever for example, is over 5 minutes, and is beautiful and streams just fine. Can you clarify why "5+ minute songs just aren't streaming friendly"? confused.gif cool2.gif

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 3rd January 2023, 09:48 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Equinox8 @ Jan 3 2023, 09:38 PM) *
I'm honestly trying to understand the comment: the album version of Viva Forever for example, is over 5 minutes, and is beautiful and streams just fine. Can you clarify why "5+ minute songs just aren't streaming friendly"? confused.gif cool2.gif

Because people usually stream for a set amount of time. I'm having a shower so will put X playlist, artist or song on. If you spend 15 minutes in the shower and songs are 5 minutes you listen to 3. If you have songs that are 3 minutes you listen ro 5.

Because of streaming most chart hits these days come in under 3 minutes. Music is basically fast food now in consumption.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 3rd January 2023, 10:29 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Jan 3 2023, 09:48 PM) *
Because of streaming most chart hits these days come in under 3 minutes. Music is basically fast food now in consumption.

I know you are right but honestly this is so depressing... The fact that artists now condition themselves to under 3mins so they can be streamed better is so vile...

There are a bunch of new releases who have started to go against this, such as Beyonce's last album and SZA's as well (one of the tracks goes over 6mins!).

I hope the algorhythm changes as this is killing the artistic freedom of lesser known artists in favour of a stupid platforms' rules!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 3rd January 2023, 10:49 PM
Post #48
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

17th: Move Over

Now we've reached the songs that managed over a million streams in 2022! Move Over just about managed that milestone, and was helped along by the recently released Live in Istanbul version. It's the only album track that was included on their 2007 release 'Greatest Hits' (likely due to its recognisability of being a Pepsi advert jingle) but I'm not sure whether being on the Greatest Hits does a great deal in lifting up its streaming numbers because that compilation isn't very prominent on Spotify...

2022 Streams: 1,004,715
Total Streams: 6,779,100

----------

16th: If U Can't Dance

The 10th and final track on 'Spice' was chosen to open their concerts in Istanbul in 1997 and their world tour in 1998, which was a pretty inspired choice rather than them going with a single. Despite being a popular live track, they've unfortunately never released live audio of it. However a demo version was made available via 'Spice 25'.

2022 Streams: 1,021,833
Total Streams: 6,740,777

----------

15th: Love Thing

The most streamed album track from 'Spice' is 'Love Thing'! Virgin Records heard single potential in this track, but of course it ultimately it didn't get chosen. It's certainly a fan favourite! There's two other versions that can be streamed - Live from Istanbul and 12" Unlimited Groove Mix.

2022 Streams: 1,268,544
Total Streams: 7,349,493

----------

14th: Saturday Night Divas

In terms of live performances, the Spice Girls have sadly paid dust to this song other than at the Istanbul shows in 1997. It was used as backing music for one of the most memorable Spiceworld The Movie scenes! Otherwise... nothing. Why do they overlook it? It seems particularly strange that they snubbed it in 2019 because it had already established itself as one of their most streamed songs at that point, and that has continued to be the case in the years that have gone by since those shows. So they'd better give it the justice it deserves if they ever tour again! It has out streamed every album track from 'Spice' which seems quite surprising. Stop underestimating this incredible song, ladies, we love it!

2022 Streams: 1,395,954
Total Streams: 8,609,223

----------

13th: Never Give Up on the Good Times

This is their only album track to have exceeded 10 million streams on Spotify, with over 2 million of those occurring in 2022. Clearly it was a missed single opportunity, but some belated justice was given to the song last year - it now has its own official music video (which uses clips of the girls from over the years). What a bop! However it wasn't their most streamed non-single in 2022...

2022 Streams: 2,029,413
Total Streams: 10,879,160

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 3rd January 2023, 11:09 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

NGUOTGT is on a decent sized playlist isn't it? Would love to know its UK sales now.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 3rd January 2023, 11:26 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Jan 3 2023, 02:25 PM) *
I support you Mr. X cheeseblock.png

Gerita's house, tomorrow night! We riot whip.gif

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 3rd January 2023, 11:29 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Jan 3 2023, 11:09 PM) *
NGUOTGT is on a decent sized playlist isn't it? Would love to know its UK sales now.

Oh which one?

Also, they must bring back Saturday Night Divas! It was rumoured to be a medley with Something Kinda Funny in 2019, but never materialised. It would have fitted perfectly in that section, or even right after Love Thing. I guess Victoria's part was massive in that one, so Geri would have had to step up.

All great songs so far though! All deserve to be in the top teirs of their discography! Never Give Up On The Good Times was definitely the single that went away. WHAT A BOP! And it always pops off live funky.gif cheer.gif

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 3rd January 2023, 11:32 PM

+Quote this post
Brer
post 4th January 2023, 03:34 AM
Post #52
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Jan 3 2023, 10:29 PM) *
I know you are right but honestly this is so depressing... The fact that artists now condition themselves to under 3mins so they can be streamed better is so vile...

There are a bunch of new releases who have started to go against this, such as Beyonce's last album and SZA's as well (one of the tracks goes over 6mins!).

I hope the algorhythm changes as this is killing the artistic freedom of lesser known artists in favour of a stupid platforms' rules!

I mean it's not an 'algorithm' thing, it's just... maths. Good luck changing the fundamental fact that shorter songs can be streamed more times in the same period of time than longer ones kink.gif (Obviously there are going to be exceptions with longer songs that nonetheless stream very well - 'All Too Well (Taylor's Version) (10 Minute Version)' says hello - but the general trend going to shorter songs was just inevitable).

Shocked and appalled that 'Spice Invaders' isn't #1 here tbh. x

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 4th January 2023, 08:58 AM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829

QUOTE(Brer @ Jan 4 2023, 05:34 AM) *
I mean it's not an 'algorithm' thing, it's just... maths. Good luck changing the fundamental fact that shorter songs can be streamed more times in the same period of time than longer ones kink.gif

This trend could be reversed if Spotify paid artists by stream duration rather than by stream count. coffee.gif

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 4th January 2023, 11:10 AM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Voodoo @ Jan 4 2023, 08:58 AM) *
This trend could be reversed if Spotify paid artists by stream duration rather than by stream count. coffee.gif

That would be equally awful and you would end up with a load of 8 minute songs.

The main problem is the charts companies let streaming run away without getting proper control of it and now we are too far down the rabbit hole.

There are so many areas where streams and how they are counted for the charts if we started from scratch now would almost certainly be different. Firstly allowing songs to endlessly earn 'sales' from streaming thus now most of the biggest selling songs ever are recent hits from the streaming era. Streams from playlists essentially deciding the singles chart these days. Album streams not being from people actually clicking on and playing the album and so on.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 4th January 2023, 02:00 PM
Post #55
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

12th: Holler

Over the many years that we've been tracking the Spice Girls' streaming progress on Spotify, 'Holler' would usually always out-stream 'Goodbye', apart from at Christmas time. This was a bit of a curiosity considering that 'Goodbye' was a considerably bigger hit back in the day. Well, the tide has turned, because 'Holler' is below it this year. I don't think 'Holler' has experienced a particularly notable dip in streams, I think it's more the case that 'Goodbye' experienced a surge. Anyway, this 2000 released song was the first taste of the American-produced R&B direction that they'd decided to pursue on their third album 'Forever'. Personally I think this is still a fresh sounding single, one of my ultimate favourites. Even though this ranks as their third lowest single in this count down, it is at least considerably far ahead of the numbers that 'Let Love Lead the Way' and 'Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)' are managing.

2022 Streams: 3,467,481
Total Streams: 22,445,516

----------

11th: Goodbye

2022 surely must have been Goodbye's strongest ever year for streaming. Over 23% of its lifetime stream count occurred last year, and it outpaced 'Holler' by over a million streams. That's quite the turn around and I'm certainly happy to see 'Goodbye' getting more attention than usual! I wonder what has caused this climb? Long may it continue, because 'Goodbye' is getting very close to being a "millionaire" seller in the UK (a recent sales figure is 977,000). Keep streaming!

2022 Streams: 4,475,452
Total Streams: 19,294,832

----------

10th: Christmas Wrapping

This must be the first time that the Spice Girls' Top 10 streamed songs of the year on Spotify weren't all singles! Starting off their Top 10 is 'Christmas Wrapping', which is the B Side to 'Goodbye'. Who would have ever thought that the B Side would one day receive more attention than the A Side? It's all thanks to Spotify adding 'Christmas Wrapping' to the Christmas Pop playlist towards the beginning of December. This lifted the song from its usual "a few thousand streams a day" status, to hundreds of thousands per day - with an incredible peak of 452,003 plays on Christmas Eve. To put that into context, on just that day alone 'Christmas Wrapping' was streamed more times than 'Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)' in the entirety of 2022 (436,848 plays)! Over 80% of 'Christmas Wrapping' overall streams occurred in 2022. This certainly demonstrates the extreme power of being prominent on a popular playlist. Although 'Christmas Wrapping' is credited to Spice Girls, it is in fact a duet between Melanie C and Emma Bunton. Their two pregnant bandmates were taking time off!

2022 Streams: 4,746,334
Total Streams: 5,916,548

+Quote this post
Brer
post 4th January 2023, 02:38 PM
Post #56
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Did you combine Holler and Hollier???

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post 4th January 2023, 03:11 PM
Post #57
Group icon
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
User: 1,209

Been meaning to comment on this, great countdown!

Just shows what being on a playlist can do with Christmas Wrapping being in the top 10!

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 4th January 2023, 03:17 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Jan 4 2023, 01:10 PM) *
That would be equally awful and you would end up with a load of 8 minute songs.

Not necessarily. Artists would have to create good songs, otherwise people would skip or not listen to them at all.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 4th January 2023, 03:19 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Thats really great about Goodbye! Surely it got a bump from the Christmas Wrapping but if it continues to grow at this wonderful pace, hopefully it can reach the million-seller mark sooner than expected!!

Do we have any indication of when it might cross it Jay?

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 4th January 2023, 03:43 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Voodoo @ Jan 4 2023, 03:17 PM) *
Not necessarily. Artists would have to create good songs, otherwise people would skip or not listen to them at all.

Quality is subjective though. Some people would say the Spice Girls music is shit.

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 11:39 AM