BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Solo Spice Careers - General Discussion, Back then... and now! Music and everything else they do...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mr.X
post 25th April 2023, 10:54 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Apr 25 2023, 08:17 AM) *
(Quote taken from Geri Halliwell's thread)

All of the girls could have reasonably successful careers by todays standards, they have the fans to buy into the multi-format approach for first week peak, which is clearly enough for a lot of record labels now if they don't have to invest in the making of the album. The majority of them just don't care enough to do it.

This is a good point actually! Any of them could get a Top10 based on week 1 sales of multiple formats, then go on a bit of touring circuit EASILY!

My guess is that only Mel C and Emma are willing to go that route, and even Emma wont do the summer festival-route which is just madness as she could so easily do the Prides and regional festivals like any other lesser pop act does these days...

They just don't want to because it wont bring them the money they want to 'make that kind of effort' even though Emma, Geri and Mel B have literally f*** all else going on lol... That's my honest guess on the mess that is their solo careers.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 25th April 2023, 11:07 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Apr 25 2023, 01:54 PM) *
Any of them could get a Top10 based on week 1 sales of multiple formats, then go on a bit of touring circuit EASILY!

That's simply not true. Some of the girls have a much smaller fanbase than the others.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 25th April 2023, 02:10 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(Voodoo @ Apr 25 2023, 12:07 PM) *
That's simply not true. Some of the girls have a much smaller fanbase than the others.

All of the girls could do top 20 easily, most top 10 on good weeks.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 25th April 2023, 02:19 PM
Post #4
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Mark Owen managed a #5 album last year! And just like Mel B, an album he released in 2005 missed the Top 200 altogether. So, pick a good week & throw a lot of formats at us, and solo Spices would surely chart nicely. cool2.gif

+Quote this post
Babyboy
post 25th April 2023, 04:56 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,611

I think music was a way for her to be famous. Music wise she is not an artist as Melanie C.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 25th April 2023, 05:11 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Babyboy @ Apr 25 2023, 05:56 PM) *
I think music was a way for her to be famous. Music wise she is not an artist as Melanie C.

None of the others are, they all just wanted to be famous.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 25th April 2023, 05:50 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Apr 25 2023, 06:11 PM) *

Emma continues to make music and touring, even if not as focused as Mel C. I do think that them being seen as 'flops' so hard by the press back in the 90s/00s (whereas other music acts were labelled as a success even if they failed to reach the Top20) did make a huge impact in thier confidence.

Please remember they weren't just labelled as flops.. they were RIDICULED in the national press for not reaching #1 with every single release. It was so stupid and horrible...

Put it this way: in 1999/2000 the girls were achiving Top10s left right and centre, selling upwards of 200k with singles, and YET they were seen as total flops. Even with album sales, like, Free Me/Scream/Reason were labelled as flops even though they all sold upwards of 100k and with 30k first week sales, whereas most acts 'successful' acts woudl KILL for those numbers...

The fact they were trashed and ridiculed probably paid into this fear of 'flopping' from them that lasts still today.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 25th April 2023, 06:16 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Apr 25 2023, 05:11 PM) *

What? I don't think they "just wanted to be famous" - they all ultimately worked very hard as a group to get success as the Spice Girls. It's more that most of them don't want to work for very little return.

I mean, Siobhan Donaghy quit music after Ghosts bombed and only returned once she could with Sugababes - does that mean she had no passion for her music career at all and all she wanted was some quick fame? Authors that stop writing books because they can't find publishers, are they just secret undercover fame whores who don't care about creating things? Painters who quit because nobody is interested?

Most of all, are you claiming Rachel Lester quit shopping her cassettes all around town because she was only interested in fame?

(ok ignore that last one)

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 25th April 2023, 06:27 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Was Free Me really branded a flop?

I always thought that bucked the trend of being (perceived as) a more successful era than her debut, and although not a blockbuster but still quite a success in 2003/2004 solo spice terms?

+Quote this post
tommie
post 25th April 2023, 06:29 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Jessie Where @ Apr 25 2023, 06:27 PM) *

I always thought that bucked the trend of being (perceived as) a more successful era than her debut, and although not a blockbuster but still quite a success in 2003/2004 solo spice terms?

Free Me wasn't labelled as a flop no; mind you it wasn't labelled as a huge success either. I think it was more like Dannii's Neon Nights if you want a relevant comparison (ie it did ok, all singles were supported by radio, no one died during the making of it etc).

Scream and Reason were because they were obviously huge step downs from their previous eras.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 25th April 2023, 06:51 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Jessie Where @ Apr 25 2023, 07:27 PM) *

OK well yes, it was seen as a step up for sure, but it certainly didn't give her huge praise either and it was certainly not labelled as a 'success' in the press/public's eyes. Like, yes of course in solo spice terms it was, but outside of that, not really.... dry.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 25th April 2023, 08:47 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Jessie Where @ Apr 25 2023, 07:27 PM) *

It wasn't branded a flop, but in reality it sold 10k less than Scream and 30k more than Reason which were of course both branded as flops... but that just goes to show the unrealistic expectations put on the girls.

Maybe I am being a bit harsh on the girls with the only wanting to be famous, Emma and Mel B have continued to perform in other ways since either through music, shows or theatre (even Strictly is performing).

Geri and Victoria were both in it to be famous though, Geri blatantly says in her book that fame was her way out, she thought if she were famous she would be happy forever. Victoria said when asked what she wanted to achieve was "to be more famous than Persil Automatic" lol laugh.gif

+Quote this post
tommie
post 25th April 2023, 08:54 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Apr 25 2023, 08:47 PM) *
Geri and Victoria were both in it to be famous though, Geri blatantly says in her book that fame was her way out, she thought if she were famous she would be happy forever. Victoria said when asked what she wanted to achieve was "to be more famous than Persil Automatic" lol laugh.gif

But does that mean that they only did music for "fame"? I think you're thinking about it in a very simplistic way and don't understand how much rejection can hurt someone's soul; my sweet Gerita only quit because you all bast*rds stopped buying her music. She didn't want to put her pure and sweet soul into music that nobody enjoyed. It doesn't mean Gerita isn't creatively amazing and will at some point bless us all with more music; it's just that the moment isn't now.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 25th April 2023, 08:59 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(tommie @ Apr 25 2023, 09:54 PM) *
But does that mean that they only did music for "fame"? I think you're thinking about it in a very simplistic way and don't understand how much rejection can hurt someone's soul; my sweet Gerita only quit because you all bast*rds stopped buying her music. She didn't want to put her pure and sweet soul into music that nobody enjoyed. It doesn't mean Gerita isn't creatively amazing and will at some point bless us all with more music; it's just that the moment isn't now.

Geri didn't try music until she auditioned for the Spice Girls, before that she tried to become famous by being a game show host, an actress, a topless model... She was in it to be famous however she could achieve it. Doesn't take away from her achievements and I think she is quite creative but it was with the intention of being famous.

Victoria to give her credit at least came from performing and was in theatre and another band before the Spice Girls.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 25th April 2023, 09:16 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Apr 25 2023, 08:59 PM) *
Geri didn't try music until she auditioned for the Spice Girls, before that she tried to become famous by being a game show host, an actress, a topless model... She was in it to be famous however she could achieve it. Doesn't take away from her achievements and I think she is quite creative but it was with the intention of being famous.

Victoria to give her credit at least came from performing and was in theatre and another band before the Spice Girls.

Yet Gerita wrote Viva Forever. Does anyone who doesn't care about music write that?

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post 27th April 2023, 12:50 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,576

They all loved making music but the passionate one still is Melanie C

+Quote this post
tommie
post 27th April 2023, 04:38 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Blond 2.0 @ Apr 27 2023, 12:50 AM) *
They all loved making music but the passionate one still is Melanie C

Lies "Passion" only in making music that no one is listening to?

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 27th April 2023, 05:36 AM
Post #18
Group icon

Sometimes I find that the General Discussion threads for each girl easily veer off topic and it grows into discussions about all of them, usually in relation to how they all did commercially. So I've moved some of the posts out of Geri's thread. Maybe this thread will give us all a place to talk about anything and everything to do with their music solo careers - specifically Mel B, Victoria, Geri and Emma who are essentially inactive as solo artists, though I'm sure Melanie C's oldest albums can be thrown into the mix too.

*Now that I've done this, the discussion will die and create a tumbleweed situation x*

+Quote this post
tommie
post 27th April 2023, 07:27 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

God dammit Jay, I was like, "I haven't posted in that thread", but suddenly I have.

You need Jesus.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 27th April 2023, 07:37 AM
Post #20
Group icon

teresa.gif I don't need Jesus, I'm Jaysus!

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 09:54 AM