BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Scandinavian Pop Singers
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brightest Blue
post 8th May 2017, 04:33 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155

I don't even know where to post this topic so please move it to the rightful forum if it's not appropriate here.
---
Is it just me or does it seem like we're getting a sudden rise in Scandinavian pop singers? In recent years we've had Tove Lo, Zara Larsson, MØ and now we're seeing a potential star in Sigrid. I find the content from these artists SO much better than your basic US/UK pop 'stars'. Do you guys feel the same?

I don't know if this is worthy of a thread but I thought I'd like to see if you guys feel the same. ohmy.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
(Zach)
post 11th May 2017, 12:53 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 18,512

Yes! Zara Larsson, Eric Saade and Ola are three of my favorite Scandinavian artists. And Ida's Maybe I Like It slayed.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 11th May 2017, 01:10 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Scandinavia isn't producing more, it's just being noticed more by those in the UK and US. Even then the little that Radio1 exposes you to barely scratches the surface.

It comes in waves too. Robyn, September, Agnes, A1 have all had hits in the UK going back and every time people, including me, get excited about 'is Scandipop finally going to break into the UK properly' and it never does because radio would rather play Ed Sheeran for the 80th time that day than Aurora, Lisa Ajax or Julie Bergan for the first time.

P3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BBC R1 and any commercial station in the UK

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 11th May 2017, 01:28 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Yes Zach, Maybe I Like It is such a tune <3

Silas is right though, we just get the odd hit and it never breaks out properly :/ It really should though, artists at the moment like Sigrid, MØ and Tove Stryke are so forward thinking and make flawless pop, the sort of pop the charts need rather than the same old dull crap from The Chainsmokers. As Silas says, there are still so many examples stuck getting 0 recognition worldwide, tonnes for every one Zara Larsson or MØ .

+Quote this post
Silas
post 11th May 2017, 01:43 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Queen of Soon

Yeah and even when many of these artists break through it can be years later and just for a single song. Like Agnes had been releasing for years in Sweden before Release Me crossed over and even then when it was a UK hit it was absolutely ancient! Same with Icona Pop, that'd been dead and buried in Sweden before it became a hit in the UK/US. Zara Larsson had the flawless Uncover out like 4 years ago to shit all fanfare outside of Scandinavia before people finally got on board 2 years later and then even Lush Life took 9-12 months to actually break in the UK/US after it had already slayed Sweden.

As amazing as it is seeing Zara getting success, I'm not holding out hope it'll a) last or b) translate to more Scandipop hitting the airwaves here.

(Maybe I Like It is a f***ing TUNE. Love it so much)

There's so so so so so much better Scandipop out there if you ignore the tiny amounts being fed to you by Radio 1

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 16th May 2017, 10:59 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837

Omg yes scandipop artists need more recognition!! Ok so I got a little bit carried away but here are my fav scandi ladies (and their best song imo):

Norway: Gabrielle (5 Fine Frøkner), Susanne Sundfør (Oblivion - with M83), Sigrid (Don't Kill My Vibe), Astrid S (Breathe)
Sweden: Tove Lo (Vibes), Elin Bergman (Naked), Zara Larsson (Lush Life), Clara Mae (Strip), Agnes (One Last Time), Robyn (Call Your Girlfriend), Tove Styrke (Borderline)
Denmark: MØ (Final Song), Medina (For Altid), Oh Land (Sun of a Gun)
Iceland: Vök (Waiting), Thorunn Antonia (Too Late)
Finland: Jenni Vartiainen (En Haluu Kuola Tänä Yönä), ALMA (Chasing Highs)
Faroe Islands: BYRTA (Loyndarmál)

All of these have had some of my absolute favorite smashes of this decade.

I especially feel Gabrielle and Susanne Sundfør need more recognition as being two of Norway's absolute best.

Some of the guys are great as well, such as Kim Cesarion / Erik Hassle / Isac Elliot / Jesper Jenset / Christopher / Fridrik Dor

I'm definitely forgotten some artists

This post has been edited by jafetsigfinns: 16th May 2017, 02:17 PM

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 16th May 2017, 01:54 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I was just listening to 5 Fine Frokner and it's one of those monster pop songs that any of the big pop girls would KILL to have in their discog. Imagine how huge it would be sung by say Rihanna (although I can't think of who'd do it in the same way as Gabrielle laugh.gif).

+Quote this post
Silas
post 17th May 2017, 11:14 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Queen of Soon

5 Fine Frøkner is my absolute favourite song of the past 3 years and is close to becoming my all time fave! It's just so f***ing epic. I can't imagine anyone else coming close to doing it justice.

I enjoyed her first album, and I was really digging Nattergal and Medvind (Med Vin) and then 5FF appeared on the scene and I died and was reborn a Gabrielle Stan. I've been going crazy for her latest era, while obviously nothing is up to 5FF standard it's absolutely amazing. I wasn't expecting another 5FF, most artists don't get one song that comes near that level of awesome, never mind 2!!!

September of her new songs is particularly stunning. Venter has a fabulous backing track to it.

She's doing a gig in Oslo in October I'm very seriously considering attending. I have to experience 5FF live. The song just takes on a whole new life and just wow. It really suits being performed with a live band.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 11:01 PM