BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Take That Best and Worst Album, Vote for Each
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Best and Worst Album
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 20
Guests cannot vote 
pippa
post Jul 16 2019, 07:11 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
I have included 15 Take That albums for you to choose fromreleased between 1992 and 2018.
You can vote for the albums you like the most and also the least.

It is a multiple choice poll.

Please vote and post your choices.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jul 17 2019, 03:51 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
The Circus is their very best album.
I voted both The Circus and Beautiful World.

Wonderland got my vote for least enjoyable album.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Jul 17 2019, 11:56 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
Best The Circus
Worst Nobody Else

The circus is my clear fave but I also love the first 2 albums,beautiful world and the live albums and ultimate collection.Three and progress have some great moments too.Wonderland nearly had my worst vote but I wasnt expecting that to be a great album but I expected more from nobody else although I love never forget.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jul 18 2019, 11:19 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Nobdoy Else does house some fine moments but it was a move away from their more pop sound on the previous 2 albums.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Jul 18 2019, 08:19 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Sure is the number 1 I would swap out for another track to have beem number 1 and outside never forget and back for good I feel the same about the album.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jul 20 2019, 01:28 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Would welcome some other people voting here.
The Take That side of things really feels to have got lost in here since the forums merged.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Jul 20 2019, 06:15 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Ya take that part does feel a bit lost here but then things are quiet on the take that front aswell.

+Quote this post
nirvanamusic
post Jul 20 2019, 07:51 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 16,950
Best: I'm in minority it would seem but for me it's Nobody Else.

The song writing, group vocals and songs were at their strongest and this showed in fact album embodies Take That's global peak success EVER.
There are continents, namely North and South America were this was their only successful studio album, that was for a reason. Their image was at strongest/sleekest and album packed with some very under-rated songs.

They broke America top 10 as a four in late 1995 with Back For Good, though I could see 'The Day After Tomorrow' becoming another global hit and top 40 US follow up. Moody and very of it's time and US radio friendly. A follow up video shot in NYC to capitalise on recent US success, however we know what came next instead.

I'm sure I read TDAT was due to be next single had they stayed together.

Worst: Take That & Party: It's personality, charm and potential future greatness (A Million love Songs) are it's strengths. However, production, cheesy songs and lyrics for majority of album let it down and vocals weren't as great/strong as from second album onwards.

+Quote this post
dylandog
post Jul 21 2019, 10:27 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 20,635
For me the choice has been simple:
1. Beautiful World
2. The Circus

I've loved songs from other albums such as The Flood, Eight Letters, WYBTFM and so on, but none of their other albums have enough depth in terms of quality. I dislike Wonderland intensely and seriously hope their next album, assuming there is one, isn't experimental and harks back to BW and TC.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Jul 21 2019, 07:23 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Wonderland lacks identity, the album could be by anyone which makes it very disappointing all round.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jul 22 2019, 01:56 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Wonderland is the album they most lost their sound with.
Giants is catchy, but 3rd single catchy, not lead single material as it was not strong enough.
They need to figure out their sound for the next album (whenever that will happen).
We have said they have nothing to prove and are entitled to experiment but they need to give the fans what they want to.
Without the fans they will go nowhere, if the next album was similar to Wonderland i would not buy it.
Odyssey i only purchased to have for my collection but i don't listen to it much as i listen to all their originals.

+Quote this post
dylandog
post Jul 22 2019, 03:52 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
I actually think they lost their direction from Progress onwards. They flattered to deceive with that album. It was a huge seller off the back of Rob's return and a very strong lead single in TF, which wasn't really representative of the album as a whole. It went further downhill from that point onwards. I've never quite understood why they moved so far from their signature sound and I'd love to know if it was a joint decision, or if GB took a back seat role. I say that because Gary's solo album and the songs he's written for Calendar Girls and FN have been very traditional and pop/ballad orientated.

If they still want to remain 'relevant' they need to give their fan base/ casual fans the type of music they expect. The importance of a great lead single can't be underestimated and their hasn't been a truly great one since TF. Eventually this will also impact on tour sales which is their main money earner. I'm with you Pippa, I've always bought their albums since the 2006 comeback but next time if I don't like what they've produced I wont buy it - and I think many others will be of a similar mind.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jul 22 2019, 04:22 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
To a level i agree about Progress, The Flood (amazing song) is not representative of the album, Progress is not in any way as good as The Circus or Beautiful World but it has some strong moments.
Three started so strongly with These Days another track i find brilliant and i enjoy and it resulted in what is now most likely their last Number 1 single.
Gary's Since I Saw You Last was a wonderful album and your point about Gary possibly taken a back seat with the sound and direction on Take That is very valid as his solo album certainly delivered what the fans wanted.
This album was a much better album than Progress/Progressed, Three and Wonderland and reflective of what the fans wanted to hear, it was fresh, uplifting and also housed some great ballads.

100% with you with your point on the importance of a lead single, lead singles can often determine success or failure for their parent albums.

Wonderland did not have this and they need the next era to open with a strong lead. These Days was a strong lead single but the album suffered with the follow up singles and their last few releases have lacked a big ballad which is a signature sound they are not just known for but are very successful for.

In the past i rush out to buy their albums when released, i did not do this with Odyssey and based on Wonderland and Odyssey i will be holding off buying their next album until i hear the sound on offer as i wont waste my money on an album as weak as Wonderland.

+Quote this post
BadHabit
post Jul 22 2019, 07:57 PM
Post #14
Group icon
New Entry
User: 28,012
For me, Progress and Circus are a tie. Progress is overall top-notch album from top to bottom. Circus though has some questionable moments it does has a lot of heart in to it. Songs like Greatest Day and Hold up the Light are a masterpiece from them.

Take That and Party is just too young and doesn't age well at all.

I'm in a minority here that like Wonderland. At least more than III for sure. I was not impressed by III when it first came out even though I like several songs in it. III and Beautiful World are in the same category for me as in they are very formulaic. Beautiful World just have better songs.

This post has been edited by BadHabit: Jul 22 2019, 08:02 PM

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jul 22 2019, 08:09 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Progress has some questionable moments for myself with songs such as Flowerbed, affirmation and Pretty Things but it also has so much to offer.
The Circus, is warm, from the heart and very Take That from start to finish.
As a debut Take That and Party was right for them at that time and it still houses some wonderful tracks that remain great on the tours today.
Hold Up The Light is one of the biggest missed opportunities from Take That, easily should have became a single and a huge hit as it is extremely radio friendly.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Jul 23 2019, 02:32 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I like progress but its disjointed by having a few different sounds throughout the album.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jul 23 2019, 03:08 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Progress had alot of influence by Robbie and i feel that is evident throughout the album.
The album was very different from their previous 2 releases but was extremely solid and Progressed had some good offerings too.
It was from this point the sound changed, they became more experimental, lost group members and to a level lost their way with sound as a group.
It would be interesting to know what Take That want to achieve when they come round to recording a new album but i think they really should pay attention to their fans.

+Quote this post
dylandog
post Jul 23 2019, 04:57 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
Pippa, if I recall correctly they wanted a different sound for Progress to represent Rob's return. Gary and Rob were probably the primary movers with Mark dipping in with ideas. The impression I got from the documentary was that Jay and Howard took a back seat- and I clearly remember Jay having a rather awkward conversation with Rob about the lyrics for Eight Letters. Gary apparently wrote all the music before there were any lyrics and there is some beautiful music hidden in both Progress and Progressed. The intro to Wait for example, is really lovely. With Stuart Price as producer a different sound was always on the cards.

I hate the distorted sound on a lot of their recent music. Someone may be able to tell me otherwise but I'm sure Mark is the primary mover re this as he apparently likes this kind of sound. Unfortunately for them I'm not sure their fan base feel the same. A low point for me was the release of Hey Boy. I'm sure some people like it but I thought it was simply awful, an absolute stinker!!!

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jul 23 2019, 06:18 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Hey Boy and Out of Our Heads were both of sounds i feel did not suit Take That.
The sound change in recent releases may back up what you mention about Mark been the primary mover as the recent sound of music would be closer to Marks solo sound more so than Take That's, Gary's or even that by Robbie.
With Jason, i picked up Robbie returning was the catalyst in his decision to leave as i don't think Jason was too comfortable with his return.
Having Robbie back did great for nostalgia, it was good for the boys to make up and put all that in the past and it was a hugely successful album and tour.
That said, the magic of Take That's return and huge success was in part due to do with them been such huge underdogs, no one predicted the success that lay await and for a time (UK) Take That became much more popular than Robbie. There was many digs about "Take Who" when it was rumoured they were reforming for a one off tour and Greatest Hits.
Robbie returning in part took some of that away and after Robbie's return stint there was questions such as where do Take That go from here.
Jason leaving was another blow, combined with relatively drastic changes in sound, Take That for what they were loved for got lost.

+Quote this post
jay727
post Jul 23 2019, 09:47 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 12,273
QUOTE(nirvanamusic @ Jul 20 2019, 08:51 PM) *
Best: I'm in minority it would seem but for me it's Nobody Else.

The song writing, group vocals and songs were at their strongest and this showed in fact album embodies Take That's global peak success EVER.
There are continents, namely North and South America were this was their only successful studio album, that was for a reason. Their image was at strongest/sleekest and album packed with some very under-rated songs.

They broke America top 10 as a four in late 1995 with Back For Good, though I could see 'The Day After Tomorrow' becoming another global hit and top 40 US follow up. Moody and very of it's time and US radio friendly. A follow up video shot in NYC to capitalise on recent US success, however we know what came next instead.

I'm sure I read TDAT was due to be next single had they stayed together.

Worst: Take That & Party: It's personality, charm and potential future greatness (A Million love Songs) are it's strengths. However, production, cheesy songs and lyrics for majority of album let it down and vocals weren't as great/strong as from second album onwards.

QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ Jul 21 2019, 08:23 PM) *
Wonderland lacks identity, the album could be by anyone which makes it very disappointing all round.

Completely agree with both of these points!

Wonderland is my least fav album, as mentioned for the same reasons many have already alluded to. TT&P also hasn’t aged well.

My fav three albums would have to be BW, Circus and III in that order. I really liked the direction of III - These Days was a great single; Higher than Higher is one of their best in my view; Freeze; and the couple of extra songs in the Deluxe were also very strong.

Looking at the results so far, III is joint second if you add the Deluxe and normal editions up, which despite my views, I didn’t expect to see!

Wonderland. I mean. What happened there? It was rushed. It missed its usual Xmas release. Missed the #1 spot. Although, the tour was good.

Question is where do the band go from here. Personally, I think fresh blood and ideas are needed. Jason or even a Robbie cameo would be needed to realign their sound for the 2020s. Will that happen? Who knows. But the charts now are against them and they’ll need to become relevant again like they did in 2006.

This post has been edited by jay727: Jul 23 2019, 09:54 PM

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:40 AM