BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Your top national final songs of 2022, Post your top songs that are rejected from the national selections!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
uhsting
post 13th March 2022, 01:33 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

All 28 national finals have concluded with winners representing their own country. How do you rate the national selections this year? For me, there are a lot of great discoveries from every country. However, only 5 of my first choices make it that far to represent their own country. I think it is important to recognise these rejected songs as some of them sound amazing!

Please feel free to share your ranking if you have listened to all the selections!

My NS ranking:

Overall average:
1. Iceland 7.2
2. Israel 7.06
3. France 6.92
4. Norway 6.73
5. Australia 6.36
6. Finland 6.29
7. Sweden 6.21
8. Croatia 6.14
9. Ukraine 6
10. Slovenia 5.875
11. Ireland 5.83
12. Poland 5.8
13. Malta 5.75
14. Italy 5.68
15. Germany 5.67
16. Serbia 5.63
17. North Macedonia 5.58
18. Denmark 5.5
19. Romania 5.5
20. Spain 5.43
21. Estonia 5.425
22. Albania 5.3
23. Czechia 5.29
24. Lithuania 5.26
25. Moldova 5.21 (5.33 with Intro)
26. Latvia 5.18 (5.5 including wild card)
27. Portugal 5.08

San Marino is not included as not all performances are accessible on YouTube or other platforms.

Top 5 average: (Charted songs)
1. Norway 9 (Death Of Us, Fly, Queen Bees)
2. France 8.4 (Les chansons d’amour, Fulenn, Madame)
3. Iceland 8.2 (Turn This Around, Þaðan af)
4. Slovenia 8.1 (All In, Girls Can Do Anything)
5. Sweden 8 (Hold Me Closer)
6. Israel 7.9 (Marionette, Head Up)
7. Estonia 7.8 (CHAMPION)
8. Italy 7.8 (Inverno dei fiori)
9. Serbia 7.7 (Zorja)
10. Australia 7.6 (I Suck At Being Lonely, Not The Same)
11. Croatia 7.6 (Here For Love, Forgive Me (Oprosti))
12. Portugal 7.5 (DEGRA.DE)
13. Malta 7.5 (A Lover's Heart)
14. Lithuania 7.4 (The Devil lives in Spain)
15. Romania 7.4
16. Albania 7.2 (Sekret)
17. Finland 7.2
18. Spain 7 (Mejores)
19. Ukraine 6.8 (GIRLZZZZ)
20. Poland 6.8
21. Moldova 6.8 (7.4 with Intro)
22. Ireland 6.4 (That's Rich)
23. Latvia 6.4 (7.8 including wild card (My Voice, Brinumzeme))
24. Denmark 6.2 (The Show)
25. North Macedonia 6.1
26. Germany 6
27. Czechia 5.8

I will do a ranking of all the songs once all of them have exited my top 50 chart.

Songs that received 10/10:

This post has been edited by HuhdMeClosting: 13th March 2022, 01:36 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Colm
post 19th March 2022, 01:33 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

I much prefer Culpa to Slomo and Theje to Sekret.

In fact, had they qualified they both be in my top 5

This post has been edited by Colm: 19th March 2022, 01:35 AM

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 29th May 2022, 02:35 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

Probably will compile a list of charted songs later and their peak haha. I've come across a tier list so if you wanna make one yourself, go ahead! wink.gif

https://tiermaker.com/create/eurovision-nat...on-2022-1591551

My tier list:

Comments:

Very strong

Söngvakeppnin 2022 (Iceland) - This selection has an exceptionally strong crop of songs. I think I have half of the songs down for second listen, with Katla and Reykjavíkurdætur making my top 50 personal chart in the end. Although I would like to have more songs, I think this condensed crop works well for them. The show itself was overshadowed by other NFs happening at the same time and it also suffered from being quite long in general, so having this ranked as "Very strong" was mainly due to the fact that the song quality is phenomenal.

Melodi Grand Prix 2022 (Norway) - Quite a few of the people I know didn't like the quality this edition but I'm in the minority here. I think this is probably the strongest NF this year with the song quality they have. They were also probably the only NF that deserve to have this many songs without feeling a lot of them are fillers. There is a good diversity of genres. In the end, I have 3 songs that make my top 50 and 2 more that are included in the weekly rankings. The show on the other hand is also very well produced and I like the art style and stage. I think this selection has the total package for me and I hope they maintain this standard next year.

Festival da Canção 2022 (Portugal) - This selection is also quite diverse and I'm also delighted to hear the improvement in the general song quality as well, as they steer away from the more dated sound in general though there is still a large number of them imo. However, what makes this selection very strong is the art style. I really love the crumpled paper artwork and the postcards in the show. Everything looks very slick in the production, and even if I only like Dégrá.dê from the song selection, I think a lot of the songs were improved through the staging.

EMA 2022 (Slovenia) - This selection is probably the only selection that features a large-scale newcomer section that could have a chance to represent Slovenia (and in the end it is the case). The song quality is hugely exceptional. 2 songs reached my top 50 and a couple of others are down for second listen. I wish they have all the songs uploaded to streaming services as I'm still waiting for Vse kar imam to be on Spotify which could potentially sound amazing in the studio version. Hence, I'm somewhat disappointed that we don't have all the songs in studio version. Unfortunately, I'm quite upset about the voting system and that the viewership is horrendously low, which makes me worry about the future of the selection and ponder why they have a national selection in the first place. Nevertheless, I put this in the very strong tier on the basis that the song quality is impeccable.

Benidorm Fest 2022 (Spain) - This selection has the weakest song quality in this tier. However, it is here because the show production is the best of all national selections here. Almost all the songs receive great staging that elevated them considerably. It was only this selection that I grew on Ay Mama and SloMo. The voting system is questionable but they managed to give us the summer banger SloMo so maybe it's not the worst. Certainly if they revamp the voting method we would get another smashing selection.

Strong

Uuden Musiikin Kilpailu 2022 (Finland) - This selection continues its excellence from last year. I'm not fond of the song quality unfortunately but the fact that they managed to get Cyan Kicks and The Rasmus on board speaks volumes. The show production quality is also very high. I also love their voting system being 75% televoting. Although one of the weaker songs in this selection won imo, I think they should be proud of the entire show.

Eurovision France, c'est vous qui décidez ! (France) - This selection has an amazing crop of songs. I managed to have 3 songs in my top 50 from this selection. Unfortunately, the show quality is subpar. I'm not a huge fan of the rating system by tallying the total number of juries liking the song, which feels redundant. I also think the stage does not seem to complement well with the staging of the songs. Besides, they need to rethink entirely on how to present the televoting points, because when Seule was given points we know by simple maths that Fulenn won which killed the tension entirely. Basically this selection was strong based on the song quality.

The X Factor Israel 2022 (Israel) - I love the song quality in this selection which showcases the strength of Israeli pop industry. I'm not fond of the show format though. I personally do not like selecting artists from singing competitions based on the fact that more established singers could join and that they may be given a song that they may not have a lot of say in. We were at one point seeing Israel potential withdrawal because Michael Ben David was not happy with the entire process allegedly. On top of that, I'm not very sure whether giving the top 4 2 songs to perform is a good idea since the song qualify could be easily rigged (though we end up having one of the weaker songs winning). The voting is also influenced by the singers' previous performances which may be unrelated to the potentials they were performing. All in all, the show itself was quite questionable but I enjoyed the song quality loads, with 2 songs in my top 50.

Vidbir 2022 (Ukraine) - I think this selection has some really great songs. However, they also left some songs before the show. The show itself is a bit of a mess sadly, ranging from the Alina Pash incident, the Laud disqualification and the scoreboard issue. Adding on to that, there is a meme during Stefania performance on a random jury shot which seems weird. The production quality is not as good as the previous years but they still managed to pull off another amazing show with great staging and I love this year's stage better as well.

Pesma za Evroviziju '22 (Serbia) - I didn't follow the live show that much on the night unfortunately. However, it has an amazing crop of songs. The song quality is pretty high on average and the diversity is wonderfully large, including bangers, heartfelt ballads and traditional Balkan ballads that sound convincing. Konstrakta pulling off the win is something I did not see coming and she certainly pulled it off with the staging. What was once the worst song in the selection back then is now one of my favourites in Eurovision 2022. I think the show could do better with reducing the number of songs admitted to the live show, as there are quite a good number of filler songs, though credits should be given for uploading all 46 songs on Spotify.

Good

Not going to comment too much in the selections below
Eurovision – Australia Decides 2022 (Australia) - The song quality is good as they gave me 2 top 50 songs. Sheldon Riley winning is amazing. Staging however does feel a bit empty this year. I didn't really watch the entire show because of the time so I couldn't really comment much on that.

Dora 2022 (Croatia) - I actually enjoy the song quality this year with 2 top 50 songs delivered. The show production overall is decent. I don't think the best song won unfortunately as I think some of the songs may have given Croatia qualification this year.

Eesti Laul 2022 (Estonia) - I feel like Eesti Laul is regressing each year. This year the song quality is ok but there are far too many filler songs in this selection. I would also prefer them to upload all songs to Spotify at once during the quarterfinals so that we can judge the songs more fairly. The show itself is alright though a few technical issues like the Elina Nechayeva death drop concern me. I do like the juries though.

Sanremo Music Festival 2022 (Italy) - I think the song quality is one of the weakest in years for Sanremo but they improved on the time management of the show which doesn't end at like 2 am in the UK! Personally I think they have much better songs in the selection though it doesn't matter because Italy still did very well in Eurovision 2022.

Malta Eurovision Song Contest 2022 (Malta) - I think the song quality is consistently average and the staging looks pretty good in some performances like Ritmu. I like they upload all the studio versions of the songs to YouTube and they did hype the songs before the show. I could see the effort made here. I do think they are a bit dated with a couple of things, like I don't understand why they do not upload studio versions to streaming services and prohibit participants from doing so when they upload those to YouTube anyway. The song production quality would also benefit from modernisation as well. Finally, if they decide not to go for the winning song because they fear NQ then they should have internally selected the artist instead and not give false hope to participants.

Tu bije serce Europy! Wybieramy hit na Eurowizję (Poland) - The entire selection was plagued with drama kink.gif but the song quality was average. The production was also fine I guess. I didn't really follow much in this selection.

Melodifestivalen 2022 (Sweden) - The song quality is easily the worst in years this year. I only liked Hold Me Closer here which deservingly won the selection thanks to the juries. They are still transitioning because of a new show producer so it seems unfair to comment on a few technical issues. However, I enjoy the art style and quality more in the previous years. I hope they improve on the diversity of the songs next year.

Weak

Festivali i Këngës 60 (Albania) - Sekret is truly one of the best songs coming from this selection in recent years but the overall quality is still weak. I'm also not a fan of the semi-final format, which was only announced like a day ago which I think the newcomers deserve to complain. I'm also not entirely sure of the purpose of one if they are going to eliminate only 3 songs from 20.

Eurovision Song CZ 2022 (Czech Republic) - The song quality is one of the weakest among all selections this year. However, I like quite a few things from this selection. First I like that they provide "live" versions of each song. Second I like they include the international televoting which allows us to vote for our favourites, learning from the NQ of Benny Cristo. I still enjoy their online format a lot which makes it stand out from the rest. I think they should continue with this format and select better songs next year.

Pabandom iš naujo! 2022 (Lithuania) - Overall I find the song quality a big step down from 2020. I still like their Heat-Semi-final-Final format but I feel a bit worried about the lack of televoting during the Heat stages. There are quite a few filler songs as well. Nevertheless, the show production quality is decent.

Za Evrosong 2022 (North Macedonia) - The song quality is quite poor unfortunately especially on the production side. If I remember correctly they are trying to replicate the Czech NF? I do think Superman should have gone through from the televoting... at least we would be served a banger!

Eurosong 2022 (Ireland) - The song quality overall is still quite poor with the exception of Brooke. The jury comments feel ingenuine especially the comparisons with the most popular singers. It also feels a bit weird using a talk show stage to host a national selection as it is too small with limited lighting capability. Surely they should go for a bigger stage next time.

Very weak

Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2022 (Denmark) - The song quality is sadly one of the worst in years. The show itself is ok but it is not enough to save the selection from being marked in this tier.

Germany 12 Points (Germany) - Given the huge diversity of musical styles and genres in the German pop industry, you would expect a LOT more from this crop of songs, which are too bland and uninteresting for Eurovision. The German pop industry is exciting on its own and I do feel NDR is not utilising it to its full extent.

Supernova 2022 (Latvia) - They had a much better stage this year but that is pretty much the only good thing I could say here. The song selection is highly questionable, as the best songs are left in the wildcard and we are only allowed to select one there. There are a couple of songs in the main list which do not convince me at all. That being said I like that they are choosing the songs without knowing who are behind but the taste is really questionable.

Selecția Națională 2022 (Romania) - The song quality is not good in this selection and there are far too many filler songs which don't justify the number of songs they selected. The format is also quite questionable and there are a couple of controversies in this selection too. The disparity between the jury and the public is also notoriously big. Overall, I think this show needs a huge revamp next year in its entirety.

??? (Moldova) - It's the messiest by far. Again there are too many filler songs though props to them for shortlisting Intro from Misscatylove.

Didn't watch/listen the songs

Una voce per San Marino (San Marino) - Same problem with EMA 2022 is that we do not have the studio versions of all the songs here. The song quality is mediocre though I have one song in my top 50. I like that they invite big names to the competition. I couldn't rate this selection because I couldn't even listen to all the songs as some of them are unavailable, so it feels unfair to do so.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 04:01 AM