BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
17 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Prism' • Third Studio Album, 22.10.13
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Regina
post Sep 8 2014, 01:12 PM
Post #301
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

QUOTE(slowdown73 @ Sep 6 2014, 07:57 PM) *
Does anybody think Prism will be re-released before the end of the year with a few extra tracks to try and boost sales? I think it might as its only sold about 350k to date and can't see many other singles apart from walking on air making a big impact now.

Only 350K? Thats still good. The massive success of Teenage Dream was a fluke IMO, kind alike Breakaway was for Kelly Clarkson. Katy is still selling more albums than alot of other artists around today. She was never gonna top TD.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Sep 8 2014, 04:41 PM
Post #302
Buffy/Charmed
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Regina @ Sep 8 2014, 01:12 PM) *
Only 350K? Thats still good. The massive success of Teenage Dream was a fluke IMO, kind alike Breakaway was for Kelly Clarkson. Katy is still selling more albums than alot of other artists around today. She was never gonna top TD.

This. Unbelievable people thought Prism would even come close to TD. It would surprise me if it matched even 50%.

Teenage Dream is 2010, it's KATY'S year, her peak, working so effortlessly with her entire persona. Roar and Dark Horse felt like a natural continuation of that, but Unconditionally and Birthday (and now this one) have really let it down and seem ... sporadic in comparison to the focus and blend of TD.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Sep 8 2014, 05:19 PM
Post #303
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

Yeah, completely agree with Regina. 'PRISM' has done very well and comparing it to 'Teenage Dream' commercially (and musically smile.gif) is ridiculous. She'll never match those sales especially in the current climate.

I would be wholly against a rerelease. The album took its time but the way it is now just WORKS, wonderfully. I don't even mind if she milks it for all it's worth and we get 'Legendary Lovers' then 'Walking On Air' and then goodness knows what else. Just don't want a tacky 'Part of Me 2' taking away from a solid album like 'Confection' did for the previous one.

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Sep 8 2014, 05:31 PM
Post #304
Buffy/Charmed
   No Gallery Pics

If Wide Awake and Dressin' Up had been on the first part or a separate EP, ,much better.

Had One That Got Away broken the record in the first place, those 2 songs would've probably been on the next album without a re-release.

Boo!

+Quote Post
RobBot
post Sep 8 2014, 05:33 PM
Post #305
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7,117

Yeah, I'd be down for a re-release if we get a fair amount of tracks which were pretty stellar themselves. As much as I love(d) Part Of Me, it topped my personal chart in January 2011 after falling in love with the demo. I don't want her to just throw her left-overs onto an album, and I don't think she could afford to do that now - she's still one of the top females but she can't just sell on name alone quite how she could during Teenage Dream. A re-release ONLY if the material is top notch.

I do wish she'd stop milking Prism though, even I, as a huge fan, would find it hard to throw myself massively behind a sixth single from this album (and I love Legendary Lovers), although the idea of a re-mastered Walking On Air sounds pretty mighty, so that could help.

+Quote Post
FezVez
post Oct 30 2014, 06:30 PM
Post #306
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 10,358

I've never really appreciated By The Grace of God until today. It came on shuffle and I've had it on repeat.

Adore it! wub.gif

Decided this would be the best place to put it out there. kink.gif

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Oct 30 2014, 09:35 PM
Post #307
Buffy/Charmed
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(AltheGreat @ Oct 30 2014, 07:30 PM) *
I've never really appreciated By The Grace of God until today. It came on shuffle and I've had it on repeat.

Adore it! wub.gif

Decided this would be the best place to put it out there. kink.gif

Ha me too!! I've been listening to it loads over last weekend!

+Quote Post
blacksquare
post Oct 7 2019, 11:33 AM
Post #308
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 23,471
   No Gallery Pics

Justice for Walking on Air

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Oct 7 2019, 12:28 PM
Post #309
Jord
Member No.: 27,116

Legendary Lovers is still the best song on this album for me.

Crazy how that wasn’t a single.

As a whole it’s like an album of two halves for me it has its moments but it’s not as strong as a whole as Teenage Dream it’s in the same vein as her debut for me but some of the album tracks on this are really good.

+Quote Post
post Oct 7 2019, 12:31 PM
Post #310
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Oct 7 2019, 01:28 PM) *
Legendary Lovers is still the best song on this album for me.

Crazy how that wasn’t a single.

Agreed.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 7 2019, 11:13 PM
Post #311
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

I actually prefer this album as a whole to TD. Oops.

Ofc the highs are higher on TD, but I feel like this is a much more solid and cohesive affair. wub.gif In fact, I think it's my fave KP album.

+Quote Post
davidas
post Oct 16 2019, 10:23 AM
Post #312
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 70,067
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Oct 8 2019, 12:13 AM) *
I actually prefer this album as a whole to TD. Oops.

Ofc the highs are higher on TD, but I feel like this is a much more solid and cohesive affair. wub.gif In fact, I think it's my fave KP album.

Completely agree! This is her best!!!

+Quote Post
Doug
post May 30 2020, 06:58 PM
Post #313
I can't help that I need it all...
Member No.: 9,410

With how much discussion the new album is getting and the many games that have been played with Teenage Dream, I'm interested to see how people's opinions on this album as a whole have changed.

My personal ranking would be this:

01 // Walking On Air
02 // By The Grace Of God
03 // Love Me
04 // Double Rainbow
05 // This Moment
06 // Dark Horse
07 // This Is How We Do
08 // Unconditionally
09 // International Smile
10 // Ghost
11 // Roar
12 // Birthday
13 // Legendary Lovers
14 // Choose Your Battles
15 // It Takes Two
16 // Spiritual

I personally feel like this album was a slow burner and when it came through, bloody hell did it come through, I actually think it's my favourite album on the whole while I may prefer a couple of tracks from the first two albums. It's also a shining example of an album full of songs that should. Have. Been. Singles.

Walking On Air is such a bop and I heard it as a student in so many bars and it hits even harder after a few drinks. The following few songs are all outstanding ballads and really connect with me, and don't see enough appreciation I find.

This post has been edited by Doug: May 30 2020, 06:59 PM

+Quote Post
Calum
post May 30 2020, 08:29 PM
Post #314
nabad
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 18,316

1. This Moment
2. Dark Horse
3. By the Grace of God
4. Unconditionally
5. Walking on Air
6. Roar
7. Ghost
8. It Takes Two
9. Legendary Lovers
10. Double Rainbow
11. This Is How We Do
12. International Smile
13. Birthday
14. Spiritual
15. Love Me
16. Choose Your Battles

Honestly this album still sounds as great as it did when it was released. wub.gif I still remember the Prismatic tour so vividly too, and all the memories associated with each of the songs. This Moment remains that gem.

+Quote Post
calxyum
post Jun 9 2020, 11:01 AM
Post #315
my caviar brings all the lords to the court~
Member No.: 20,799

1. Walking On Air
2. Dark Horse
3. Birthday
4. This Is How We Do
5. International Smile
6. Double Rainbow
7. Legendary Lovers
8. By the Grace of God
9. Unconditionally
10. Ghost
11. Love Me
12. This Moment
13. It Takes Two
14. Choose Your Battles
15. Roar
16. Spiritual

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Jul 8 2020, 11:14 PM
Post #316
Jord
Member No.: 27,116

I just completed my album for this on iTunes like nearly 7 years on.

Does that now count as a sale laugh.gif

+Quote Post
troublepink
post Oct 18 2020, 11:06 AM
Post #317
Beautiful Trauma
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 590

Prism was released on this day in 2013 cheer.gif

+Quote Post
RobBot
post Oct 18 2020, 01:51 PM
Post #318
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7,117

Given it as a listen to today and it holds just as strong as it did 7 years ago wub.gif

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Oct 20 2020, 01:59 PM
Post #319
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

Here is my track by track review of Prism. After seeing this thread pop up again, I decided to give this another listen (first time in 4 years), so here goes...

01. Roar
I think everybody knows this by now (if you do not then where have you been). Probably the best track to not only kick-start this album, but to lead this campaign with what could only be described as typical Katy Perry power pop, with its empowering lyrics, punchy chorus & instantly memorable hooks that YES is very cliché & this did get overhyped & played to death, but that’s what happens with all massive hits & this is no exception. However, it is still a great song & a firm career standout.

02. Legendary Lovers
The second track takes on a somewhat different sound to a lot of her previous material. The song begins with an instrumental that has a Bollywood feel which gives it a spiritual vibe & backed by tribal, jungle-like percussion in the midsection. One of the most creative & strongest numbers on this album. This should have been a single.

03. Birthday
A fun poppy number that is quite reminiscent of her earlier songs with a catchy tongue in cheek verses & chorus with some uplifting synths. I can see why this was chosen as a single as it feels very tailor made for the radio. But that does not work in its favour as this feels very lightweight.

04. Walking on Air
Katy goes down the Eurodance route with this 90’s house inspired banger with some tinges of EDM thrown in there, while still being very much on the Pop side of things. This has to be one of the best things she is ever recorded with its very euphoric chorus that could have easily been a smash hit on the charts. (This would have been my choice for single #4 over the previous track).

05. Unconditionally
The first of many, many ballads on this album, but this is definitely one of the better ones) if not the BEST ONE). This romantic yet emotionally powerful anthem that explores a new chapter in her life rather than dwelling on the past. Love the way she lets rip on the uplifting chorus set against some beautiful production. A great choice for single #2, even if not everybody agrees.

06. Dark Horse
The OTHER big chart smash from this album with its catchy mix of pop from Katy with a hip-hop verse from rapper, Juicy J. Set against some moody Pop/Trap beats which makes this not only one of the darkest songs she has ever done, yet interesting & dare I say it BEST. A firm contender for a single release If I ever heard one, especially thanks to its stellar production values & Katy’s fierce vocals that makes this an all-round amazing number.

07. This is How We Do
This is a nice enough catchy party tune that seems to be aimed at a younger demographic & focuses on partying. However, in comparison to many of the other songs on the album, it does not have the same creativity, but still manages to have a fun chorus even if the lyrics are quite basic. Honestly don’t think this really worked as a single, especially when there are much better tracks such as ‘WOA’ or ‘LL’.

08. International Smile
Another fun party anthem that has that’s very familiar Katy Perry formula that doesn’t really break any new ground, but the disco mid-section makes for a joyful experience. This may be a filler moment, but a pretty good one at that.

09. Ghost
This & track 10 kinda blends into one for me & this is where the album starts to lose momentum. The track is one of the most revealing of the album, focusing on the end of their relationship. The song starts slow & starts to build some tension but doesn’t really go anywhere interesting.

10. Love Me
Another personal track that gives you an insight into Katy’s personal relationships with some nice soft rhythm’s that gives it an ethereal feel. But at the same time, it doesn’t really stand out & kinda gets lost in the shuffle when compared to the album’s more showier numbers.

11. This Moment
The pace picks up with this bold 80’s inspired electro-pop track, powered by a thumping beat. I feel that this often gets overlooked & its not hard to see why, it lacks that certain something needed that could have made this even better.

12. Double Rainbow
The song is wistful & whimsical, thanks to Katy’s vocals with some well-crafted lyrics. While she makes a fairly good effort at hitting those higher notes, but her voice sounds a little too thin to stretch that far. Still a very decent track though.

13. By the Grace of God
Probably the most emotional song on the album & a fantastic way to close the standard edition of this album with this slow piano power ballad that’s nothing like any of Katy's previous work and it deals with her heartbreak in a somewhat positive way as-well as portraying another side to Katy that we never seen before & its stunning.

Not gonna do the bonus tracks as I felt they weren't really needed & none of them stand out to me. So just gonna stick with the standard edition as it was fine as it was.

+Quote Post
calxyum
post Dec 22 2020, 05:45 PM
Post #320
my caviar brings all the lords to the court~
Member No.: 20,799

PRISM RANK (7 YEARS ON)

1. Dark Horse
2. Walking On Air
3. Birthday
4. International Smile
5. This Is How We Do
6. Legendary Lovers
7. This Moment
8. Double Rainbow
9. By the Grace of God
10. Unconditionally
11. Ghost
12. Spiritual
13. Roar
14. Love Me
15. It Takes Two
16. Choose Your Battles

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:31 AM