BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Chart Replay: Black Box vs. Technotronic
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Black Box vs. Technotronic
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 39
Guests cannot vote 
Mangø
post 11th October 2019, 10:10 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151

Both iconic but 'Ride On Time' wins it for me easily. Btw anyone who likes 'Ride On Time' should check out their album 'Dreamland'.

This post has been edited by M4NG0: 11th October 2019, 10:11 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post 11th October 2019, 10:15 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585

Am I the only one who didn't know Heather Small's vocals were on a different version of Ride On Time? laugh.gif

So is it her vocals on the version we all know and love or is it the reworking of Loleatta's vocals?

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 11th October 2019, 10:39 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366

QUOTE(Medellíam @ Oct 11 2019, 04:45 PM) *
I know it's only a year off but I remember being so surprised to learn these were both from the 80s. They feel distinctly 90s and you can notice they're influence in so many of the biggest 90s dance classics. Both ahead of their time and timeless, as these go down a storm on the dancefloor now and fit very well among today's dance records.

It's very close but I've gone for 'Pump Up the Jam'.
At the time I thought that 'Pump Up The Jam' had something of a retro feel to it. In places the music sounds modern (as in back in 1989) but there are also times where it does sound like it could have been from 1984 or 1985.

I bought both singles so love both songs but I'll go for Black Box. Only the Loleatta Holloway sampled version though. The Heather Small version (which probably sold more copies back in 1989) is dreadful. As Alan Jones described her re-recording at the time it was like something you would find on those cheap 'Top Of The Pops' type albums that Hallmark Records used to release which often featured "gross cover versions". Alan (like the rest of us at the time) didn't know who the singer was on the re-recording and M-People were a couple of years away from making the charts so he just described her as an "inferior singer".

This post has been edited by Robbie: 11th October 2019, 10:49 PM

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 11th October 2019, 10:46 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Both are bonafide classics, but Ill go with Black Box on this one.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 11th October 2019, 10:51 PM
Post #25
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

Crazy to think I was a matter of weeks old when this chart happened! I have to say Black Box are my favourite of the two here. First act from Italy to have a number one too, I believe?

Also can't hear this without thinking of Jennifer Saunders singing it in character on the original French & Saunders sketch that later became Ab Fab!

+Quote this post
steveh31
post 12th October 2019, 05:50 AM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 21,175

QUOTE(lewistgreen @ Oct 11 2019, 11:15 PM) *
Am I the only one who didn't know Heather Small's vocals were on a different version of Ride On Time? laugh.gif

So is it her vocals on the version we all know and love or is it the reworking of Loleatta's vocals?

How on earth can you not tell the difference it is totally obvious

https://youtu.be/M0quXl_od3g?t=102

https://youtu.be/R3aW9kkfvWk?t=123

by the way Loletta Holloway interview on Youtube love the last comment she makes and her facial expression over the settlement making her views clear.

This post has been edited by steveh31: 12th October 2019, 05:53 AM

+Quote this post
Gezza
post 12th October 2019, 06:27 AM
Post #27
Group icon
Ciao, 911? E 'Quagmire. Sì, è preso nella finestra di questo
User: 13,341

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Oct 11 2019, 11:51 PM) *
Crazy to think I was a matter of weeks old when this chart happened! I have to say Black Box are my favourite of the two here. First act from Italy to have a number one too, I believe?

Mantovani was Italian and made no 1 way back in the 50s as well as half of Renee & Renato biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Sinner
post 12th October 2019, 06:53 AM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 11,640

QUOTE(Bjork @ Oct 11 2019, 07:04 PM) *
^agree on that, Get Up was much better, a masterpiece compared to Pump up the jam

This I do not understand.

+Quote this post
steveh31
post 12th October 2019, 11:55 AM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 21,175

Get Up, This Beat Is Technotronic & Rockin Over The Beat were much better the latter being my fave of their songs.

I would like to pose a question re Black Box if Ride On Time had not been re-recorded by Heather Small do we think it would still have reached 1 million copies, did people buy both and inflate the sales or did in fact the remix put some people off like me and had the original stuck around in the shops it may have sold more?

The remix and the hype over the vocals certainly put it into people's minds so maybe a factor of all the above inflated sales and maybe it would have done slightly less had it not had the negative coverage.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 07:42 AM