BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Missed Single Opportunities?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post Sep 11 2017, 10:30 PM
Post #1
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Which songs do you think were major missed opportunities for the Spice Girls, group-wise and solo-wise? Here are some of mine:

Supposedly 'Never Give Up On The Good Times' was initially planned to be a Double A Side alongside 'Viva Forever' - but sadly this didn't materialise! This is one of their best, most up-lifting songs. wub.gif

If the Spice Girls had continued promoting the 'Forever' era, I think 'Tell Me Why' would have made the strongest choice.

Mel B releasing 'Lullaby' (a sweet song dedicated to her first daughter) as the final single from 'Hot' was quite a choice, and one which lead to her being dropped. The summery R&B-flavoured song 'Hotter' could have had more potential.

A total gem of a pop song, this was passed on in favour of 'Desire'. Geri later admitted that not releasing 'Love Never Loved Me' was one of her career regrets!

'Burn' became an instant-fan favourite, but this evidently didn't sway Melanie into releasing it. A shame!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post Sep 12 2017, 01:05 AM
Post #2
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

'Never Give Up On The Good Times' would be my #1 pick from Spiceworld too. 'Saturday Night Divas' might have worked also.

I would've loved to have seen 'If You Wanna Have Some Fun' as a single from 'Forever'.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Sep 12 2017, 01:07 AM
Post #3
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

'Burn' and 'Never Give Up On the Good Times' are two of the biggest injustices in any single campaign ever, imo. Both outstanding and genuinely brilliantly crafted pop songs. wub.gif

'Spice' album was perfectly handled though. None of the others would've been quite as big as the ones that were chosen.

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Sep 12 2017, 01:25 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

FLAWLESS *oh yes I brought it over to BuzzJack cool.gif

From Free Me
- No Sign Of Life
- Breathing

From Life in Mono
- Undressing You
- All That Will Be
- Take Me To Another Town

IMAGINE tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Sep 12 2017, 01:42 AM
Post #5
Brown cow, stunning!
Member No.: 10,139

If only they went for NGUOGT over Viva Forever kink.gif Agree with that being a msised opportunity of the album tracks I have heard from them, such a bop in every sense.

I definitely agree with Burn, by FAR the best Mel song and my second fave solo Spice song behind Let Your Head Go *.* It would have been huge for say Kelly Clarkson or someone, I know Mel wouldn't have got a smash at that point in her career but it's just SUCH a fab pop song.

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Sep 12 2017, 06:05 AM
Post #6
With Kristina in heart
Member No.: 28,104
   No Gallery Pics

Geri Halliwell

Debut :
Save : Look At Me, Mi Chico Latino, Lift Me Up
Erase : Bag it Up
Add : Let Me Love You

Overall : Good singles selection

2nd album :
Save : Calling
Erase : It's Raining Men, Scream If You Wanna Go Faster
Add : Strength of a Woman, Circles Round the Moon, I Was Made That Way

Overall : Bad singles selection, she took the worst song (It's Raining Men) and did very risky choice with "Scream If You Wanna Go Faster"

3rd album :
Save : Desire
Erase : Ride It
Add : Passion, Superstar (not my favourite, but the rest songs will get the same flop result as "Desire" had in the real world)

Overall : I love this album, but the most tracks sounds well as album tracks all together and couldn't be successful as singles.

This post has been edited by Good Old Days: Sep 12 2017, 06:06 AM

+Quote Post
Fulvio84
post Sep 12 2017, 01:30 PM
Post #7
New Entry
Member No.: 39,660
   No Gallery Pics

with Spice and Spice World they played their cards very well.... Forever is such a nice album and was just trashed away bcs of their attitude...but If you wanna have some fun could have been such a hit and also Oxygen or Time goes by was a good Xmas single choice.

For the Solo works there is a lot of up and downs...Love nevr loved me, Breathing, Beautiful intentions, Hot, many wasted songs

+Quote Post
Sparrow
post Sep 12 2017, 04:43 PM
Post #8
New Entry
Member No.: 39,555
   No Gallery Pics

SG: Never give up on the good times and Woman

VB: I Wish

Geri: Love Never Loved Me and Love & Light (still hoping it gets mastered and released)

Emma: Free me (Dr. Octavo Seduction Remix)

Mel B: Hotter

Mel C: You'll get yours

+Quote Post
tommie
post Sep 12 2017, 05:07 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Banned
Member No.: 8,073

QUOTE(Good Old Days @ Sep 12 2017, 06:05 AM) *
Overall : Bad singles selection, she took the worst song (It's Raining Men) and did very risky choice with "Scream If You Wanna Go Faster"

To be fair to It's Raining Men - it basically only happened because of Bridget Jones Diary. I don't think it was even supposed to be on the album originally...

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Sep 12 2017, 05:44 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,551
   No Gallery Pics

'Forever' – Spice Girls

I think the 'Forever' era was sadly, too short-lived.

Had the girls been interested, I'd have liked them to release the following singles:

1. 'Holler' and 'Let Love Lead The Way' – perfect come-back.

2. 'Pain Proof' – It has more of the familiar Spice attitude than most of 'Forever'.

3. 'Time Goes By' – a perfect Christmas number one.

4. 'Get Down With Me' and 'Weekend Love' double A-side. Although Mel B's rap is a bit too jarring in the latter. So I'd cut that – amazing though it is :-P

This post has been edited by Michael Andrew: Sep 12 2017, 06:05 PM

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Sep 12 2017, 05:58 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

'Life In Mono' - Emma Bunton

Lead single 'Downtown' gave the impression of a covers artist. But she has so much more to offer. And 'All I Need To Know' is lovely, but it was never gonna grab the attention she needed.

I wish Emma could've released 'Take Me To Another Town' as her comic relief come-back single.

Followed by 'Undressing You' and/or 'He Loves Me Not'.

This post has been edited by Michael Andrew: Sep 12 2017, 06:05 PM

+Quote Post
breezyspice
post Sep 12 2017, 08:26 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 39,572
   No Gallery Pics

I was obsessed with Tell Me Why - definitely my choice for most missed opportunity.
I think Get Down With Me would've been solid too.

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Sep 14 2017, 12:39 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

I have just listened to the 'Tell Me Why' radio edit for the first time (from Jay's original post).

Removing the awkward intro from Victoria (as on the album version) is definitely an improvement.

The only other thing that bothered me about it, as a potential single at the time, was that Mel B had released 'Tell Me' so recently. They pretty much have the same title and same general vibe.

But in it's own right, a great song!

+Quote Post
breezyspice
post Sep 14 2017, 09:58 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 39,572
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Michael Andrew @ Sep 14 2017, 06:39 AM) *
Removing the awkward intro from Victoria (as on the album version) is definitely an improvement.

I will listen to awkward intros from Victoria, any day. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Sep 15 2017, 01:41 AM
Post #15
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

For the Spice Girls, I think they're first album and single choices were absolutely perfect, wouldn't change anything there. But for Spiceworld, yeah do agree that 'Never Give Up On The Good Times' should have been a single and would have been perfect alongside the stunning 'Viva Forever'. I dunno why they didn't include it on their Greatest Hits album, they included the average 'Move Over', 'NGUOTG' would have been a million times better.

Their 3rd album 'Forever' had some of the biggest missed opportunities on there. I think that 'Right Back At Ya' in it's original pop form would have been a more fitting choice for their comeback single, but do love 'Holler' has well which was an interesting direction for them. 'If U Wanna Have Some Fun', 'Oxygen', 'Tell Me Why' & 'Weekend Love' were also great tracks as well. It's a shame that they didn't go any further after 'Holler/Let Love Lead The Way', because there were some real potential in these songs and could have maybe helped the album back into the charts, with some decent promo for each release and some great music videos, the era could have at least had a better chance. Here's what I would have gone with =

October 2000: Holler/Let Love Lead The Way
Yes would have stuck with this as planned or had 'Right Back At Ya', maybe.

December 2000: Oxygen
This was a total wasted opportunity as it's the album's most stunning ballad and releasing it around X-Mas time, could have helped the album sell more around the festive period.

March 2001: If U Wanna Have Some Fun
This was planned as the follow up and they should have went with it as it would have definitely been a hit for the girls, along with a funky and sexy music video with loads of dance moves, this would have been epic.

June 2001: Tell Me Why
Another planned single that never was, but perhaps would have re-recorded it for the actual single release as it would have kept more interest and hype, along with a ton of promo this also could have been massive.

Aug/Sept 2001: Weekend Love
Again perhaps remixing this for it's release could end the era on a higher note.

Mel B

Never been a fan of her solo stuff, I did buy her first album and found it pretty dreadful apart from a few select cuts 'I Want You Back', 'Feels So Good' and 'Hotter', the latter should have definitely been made a single instead of the awful 'Lullaby', and perhaps could have been another hit for her and could have saved her from being dropped by the record label.

Emma Bunton

I do actually like her solo stuff, her 2nd album was by far her best and she did release the best songs from it, so no complaints there. Her debut was pretty decent as well, but don't think 'We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight' was a good choice, even the single version wasn't very good either. 'A Girl Like Me' would have been a better choice in my opinion.

Geri Halliwell

I used to love her stuff back in the day and her first album she got it totally right with picking the singles as they were fabulous.

Her second album was also great and had so much potential. Yes would have stuck with 'It's Raining Men' for the lead single as it was a #1 smash. But instead of the title track being released next I would have went with 'Strength Of A Woman', as I feel it's a much stronger choice. For the 3rd single, yes 'Calling' was beautiful but also think that 'Love Is The Only Light' would have been just as great a choice. Then there should have definitely been a 4th single and my pick would have been 'Circles Around The Moon' which would have been the perfect ending to this era.

Her 3rd album 'Passion' was by far her worst, but releasing 'Desire' was a dire choice and 'Love Never Loved Me' would have been far more suitable and may not have cost her career. To be honest don't think anything else on the album had any potential.

Victoria Beckham

I did actually buy her album and thought it was pretty decent, there were some great tracks on there such as 'Like That' which should have been the 2nd single instead of 'A Mind Of It's Own' which should have been released later. 'Midnight Fantasy' was also another track I liked on this and would have made a great single in my opinion.

Such a shame her 2nd album didn't get released as her planned single 'My Love Is For Real' was brilliant and would have definitely been a hit back in 2004 when it was originally planned.

Melanie C

Only owned her first 2 albums and thought the single choices were fine, but 'First Day Of My Life' should have been given a chance in the UK at least, as it did perform well in Europe and with some decent promo and airplay, could have maybe turned things around for her. Never heard 'Burn' before this and that is a cracking song, why wasn't it released, she should have listened to the fans on that one.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Oct 14 2017, 10:01 PM

+Quote Post
cripesdude
post Sep 15 2017, 09:36 AM
Post #16
New Entry
Member No.: 39,646
   No Gallery Pics

Spice Era
Naked - Whilst I think they made the best single choices with Wannabe, Say You'll Be There, 2 Become 1 and Mama/Who Do You Think You Are?, Naked had the potential to be a classy darker single. It's perhaps the closest the Spice Girls ever got to All Saints and with a more edgy video could have been a hit for sure, shoring-up more adult fans.

Step To Me - Sort of a single but not really, I was so relieved when my CD came in the post from Pepsi and the song was great! This would have done fine as a 'proper' single rather than a promotional one.

Spiceworld Era
Never Give Up On The Good Times - Certainly Spiceworld's Who Do You Think You Are?, I remember the rumours it was going to be a double a-side with Viva Forever. I think it's a shame this upbeat number didn't get the single treatment and the video/radio play that would have gone with it.

Move Over - A bit like Step To Me, if this song hadn't been used in the high profile Pepsi campaign it could have been a hit single on its own... Generation Next! Full of girl power attitude.

Forever Era
Tell Me Why - The radio edit had follow-up to Holler written all over it. It might have needed the double a-side treatment to ensure it was a hit, but I think it's a stand out from Forever.

Time Goes By - After Goodbye, certainly the next-in-line ballad release. Perhaps tied up with Tell Me Why this could have produced a 4th Christmas No1.

If You Wanna Have Some Fun - I wasn't too bothered about this at the time, but retrospectively think it could have done well, funk/disco-meets-Who Do You Think You Are vibes for sure. I remember it was played along with tour footage on CD:UK when the album launched and I thought that meant it was headed to be the next single... little did I know we'd be waiting 7 years for Headlines.

W.O.M.A.N. - This HAS to be the BIGGEST missed opportunity. A quality pop number perfectly transitioning the group from girls to ladies. Absolutely criminal it's never been released. Not even an album track, not even leaked. I hope I don't spent the rest of my days with only the Christmas In Spiceworld live audio from it's only ever outing! If only Forever had come along a year earlier... Goodbye in December 1998, followed by W.O.M.AN. in spring 1999, with Holler/Let Love Lead The Way (and the Forever album) in the summer, with finally Tell Me Why/Time Goes By Christmas 1999 would have made for a great Forever era.

This post has been edited by cripesdude: Sep 15 2017, 09:42 AM

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Sep 15 2017, 11:56 AM
Post #17
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(breezyspice @ Sep 14 2017, 10:58 PM) *
I will listen to awkward intros from Victoria, any day. tongue.gif

laugh.gif Haha! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Victoria features more heavily on Forever. It has some of her best ever vocals. It was more the arrangement, than her voice, that bothered me.

And I'm only speaking from the perspective of mass appeal. The radio edit is great for that.

I love Victoria. She is a queen. Obviously. teresa.gif

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Sep 15 2017, 04:41 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

Actually, I would like to add that If You Can't Dance SHOULD have been released back in 1997 as the final single from Spice. It was such a cool song and it would have proven a very 'cool' addition to their streak of singles.

At that time, they were still very much attached to the cool Brit Pop wave across the World, and having them release some 'underground' and hip-hop song like If you Can't Dance would have been the final cherry on the cake!

I would have prefered that than the Mama double a-side tbh

+Quote Post
JB2o2o
post Sep 15 2017, 07:46 PM
Post #19
New Entry
Member No.: 39,575
   No Gallery Pics

Definitely missed opportunities from the Forever era. TMW, IFYWHSF and Oxygen. WMT maybe, but I also like WL and GDWM

The ball may have dropped at the Forever campaign but it honestly had more single worthy tracks than Spice World.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Sep 15 2017, 10:49 PM
Post #20
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

'Love Never Loved Me' could have been such a great single.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:58 AM