BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Sweden v England, 7th July, 3pm, Samara Arena, Samara, BBC
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ML Hammer95
post 8th July 2018, 04:41 PM
Post #121
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,265

I'm so used to West Ham losing that a defeat rarely lingers for too long... even if I'm at the match I'll just smile ruefully and enjoy the day out. Obviously there are still a few matches where I'm a nervous wreck (usually important cup games) but even the thought of relegation doesn't have much of an effect... I've seen them in the lower leagues before and the away days are often better anyway.

But with England this time, I have felt tense and emotionally invested.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 8th July 2018, 05:11 PM
Post #122
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

I don't really support any Premier League teams, but I would suppose if you are supporting a Premier League team a few losses don't matter as much, as long as it isn't near the end of the season and relegation or (at the other end of the table) a Europa/Champions League place or Premier League title isn't at stake!

Whereas with knockout football like the Champions/Europa league it obviously means a lot more to lose even once.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 8th July 2018, 05:24 PM
Post #123
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(The Snake @ Jul 8 2018, 06:11 PM) *
I don't really support any Premier League teams, but I would suppose if you are supporting a Premier League team a few losses don't matter as much, as long as it isn't near the end of the season and relegation or (at the other end of the table) a Europa/Champions League place or Premier League title isn't at stake!

Whereas with knockout football like the Champions/Europa league it obviously means a lot more to lose even once.

Well usually as a Premier League fan you expect your team to get beat probably 4-5 teams throughout the season, to a rival it really hurts. While one loss in the grand scheme of things is not that significant, realistically you cannot afford to drop too many points throughout the season if you want to win the league.

The good thing about cup football is anyone can beat anyone so it can lead to surprising winners, whereas 99 times out of 100 the best team usually wins the league.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 8th July 2018, 07:35 PM
Post #124
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

Even as a season ticket holder at Chester, I'm so much more emotionally invested in the national team than club football.

When Chester lose I'm very emotionally at the match but I'm over it by the time I get home. To be fair it was happing twice a week last season laugh.gif

I think international football just feels more important, maybe due to the fact that players have more of an attachment to their countries because they represent their homeland and not like club football where players constantly move teams.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 8th July 2018, 08:19 PM
Post #125
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Another reason for me is that the big international tournaments occur less frequently. If United lose the Champions League final, there's always next season (well, not so much these days but you get what I mean) whereas if England lose the World Cup final (or indeed any KO match) it's another four years to wait.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 8th July 2018, 08:29 PM
Post #126
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

^^Yeh that is exactly right plus as was also stated above players play because of a love for their country whereas with clubs players are playing for their own career.

It's also the case that a lot of England flags have smaller clubs on them like Chester and not Man united!

As I said to my mates when Chickarito started crying after beating Ze Germans I said he wouldn't have cried if he'd won for West Ham!

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 8th July 2018, 08:53 PM
Post #127
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

And the last few England squads down the years, full of the egos most certainly cared more about their club than their country. Number of times they'd mysteriously "pull out" of friendlies or qualifiers because of an important cup tie coming up. The current crop (mostly) give me the impression they show pride & revel in wearing the shirt!

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 8th July 2018, 09:03 PM
Post #128
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

They look like Lions on a mission to succeed!

+Quote this post
Houdini
post 8th July 2018, 10:36 PM
Post #129
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725

With club football it's the defeats in the early part of the season before Christmas that feel more painful because that's usually the stage when you're more full of hope for the team that you support and as Rooney said these are the things that can cost a team winning a league or even surviving relegation. Man United losing to Huddersfield was the worst defeat of the past season for me and losing to Manchester City at Old Trafford just before Christmas changed a lot of our fans (and perhaps the players as well) mentality towards the rest of the season.

I think with International football expectations are generally lower because there's only a certain amount of players that each team can call up into their side and it's all about heritage rather than how much money a team has or which competitions they're likely to play in. When it comes to the fans they can choose which club team they want to support but they cant choose which ethnicity and nationality they're from.

+Quote this post
Red Blooded Man
post 9th July 2018, 04:44 AM
Post #130
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 822

QUOTE(Dobbo @ Jul 9 2018, 04:53 AM) *
And the last few England squads down the years, full of the egos most certainly cared more about their club than their country. Number of times they'd mysteriously "pull out" of friendlies or qualifiers because of an important cup tie coming up. The current crop (mostly) give me the impression they show pride & revel in wearing the shirt!

That's the impression people have been having in the last few major WC/Euro tournament, not just England but other strong teams like France, Portugal and Spain. I suspect this is also one of the reasons why those favourites were eliminated so early. The players just don't have any pride in representing their countries, their hearts weren't really into it.

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 09:37 AM