BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> folklore: first impressions rate: the results, I had a marvellous time revealing the results | the winner..
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
London
post Aug 2 2020, 08:42 PM
Post #21
Group icon
London Boy
User: 21,053
Hey! A bit late to the party but thanks loads for doing this - I’m loving the commentaries.

Hoax and mad women next? thinking.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post Aug 2 2020, 10:03 PM
Post #22
Group icon
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Pronouns: she/her
User: 1,454
QUOTE(London81 @ Aug 2 2020, 04:42 PM) *
Hoax and mad women next? thinking.gif

Those are my two favorites! Why do I always love what everyone doesn't? tongue.gif

+Quote this post
London
post Aug 2 2020, 10:30 PM
Post #23
Group icon
London Boy
QUOTE(...ready for it @ Aug 2 2020, 11:03 PM) *
Those are my two favorites! Why do I always love what everyone doesn't? tongue.gif

Haha! wink.gif Hoax is great - I gave it 8 and do like it but there’s just so many other songs I like more. I gave half the album 9 or above! Still not sold on mad woman yet - I’ll keep trying happy.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 3 2020, 08:25 AM
Post #24
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
QUOTE(UltraFolklore @ Aug 2 2020, 07:41 PM) *
I will be revealing 14 and 13 in a couple hours! any guesses?

I may have fallen asleep, incoming now if anyone's around x

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 3 2020, 08:43 AM
Post #25
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
'you knew the hero died so what's the movie for'

14. hoax // 7.74

my best laid plan: ...Ready For It [11], John-James, MrAndrewMan, UltraFolklore [9.5], Billy, Blacksquare, LJ Jord 7, Liam [9]
my kingdom come undone: RabbitFurCoat [4], Bre [5.5]

The song commentary:
hoax is the final track on folklore and explores the struggle of a toxic relationship and how Taylor is unable to let go of this doomed relationship. The track is produced by Aaron Dessner, who stated this (and the 1) were the final tracks written for the album and they are the 'bookends' of the album. I'm pretty sure I read on release day that hoax was completed about a week before release! Dessner also stated this track felt the most emotional and the rawest, there's sadness but it's a kind of hopeful sadness'. as the album closer hoax feels a darker version of the likes of clean, New Year's Day & daylight in terms of sound and themes. Exploring the lyrics, the first verse represents imagery from the reputation era (gun = LWYMMD, knife = TIWWCHNT) & in the last verse (my kingdom come undone = CIWYW & KOMH). hoax also echoes my tears ricochet through the use of imagery of ash and fire. We also have references to New York and the concept of 'hero's death', also seen in The Archer. the song ends with the recognition of the flaws in the relationship but she wants to stick by her partner.
The song is quite hauntingly simple but a stunning album closer and is perfectingly fitting end to the album. I adore it but I think it's in my bottom three tracks so I'm not too bothered about it leaving at this stage, as much as I don't want anything to finish low something has to!!

The rate commentary:
I'm sorry ready for it!! tho I'm lowkey impressed that hoax avoided the bottom two which is something I'd say, especially with its constant position as the bottom track on the streaming platforms from the album + the only song that would've missed the top 50 in the UK. However it is a fabulous closer and is gorgeous! Ofc RFI losing her 11 means this is the first song with an 11 to leave so far. hoax actually started really strongly in the rate, with 7 of the 8 scores in the high score section coming in the first nine rates (including the 11)!! However from then on it petered out into receiving 6's, 7's and 8's and ended up pretty comfortably in the bottom three. still a great average tho!

a big bump for 13th place as everything from then on would've come top 5 in the Lover initial rate (Cornelia Street was 5th with an average of 8.09)

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 3 2020, 09:22 AM
Post #26
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
'and you'll poke that bear 'til her claws come out'

13. mad woman // 8.14

cannons all firin: ...Ready For It, UltraFolklore [10], Ansel, John-James, LJ Jord 7, MrAndrewMan, SKOB [9]
f*** you forever: Dandy*, RabbitFurCoat [6]

The song commentary:
Taylor described this song as a misfit widow getting gleeful revenge on the town that cast her out. However mad woman has received many interpretations, from being about Daenyrs from Game of Thrones to being about Rebekah from the last great American dynasty to being a kind of sequel to the Man and being about her battles with Scott & $cooter. Mad Woman connects the concept of a delusional woman to societal expectations and reactions + references to Taylor's personal life. This is the 3rd track to leave that is produced by Dessner and features one of the more stronger productions on the album. Taylor delivers the song in a a furious and righteous tone but also calmly at the same time. In the first verse, there's a pretty direct reference to the masters battle with 'do you see my face in the neighbours lawn', as to get to big machine records, you have to drive past republic/sony were there's a billboard celebrating Taylor! this is also the first song where Taylor says f***! the chorus shows how the public and the people surrounding her made her a mad woman. the 2nd verse makes further references to her masters battle (refusing to move on despite them trying to sweep it under the carpet, brought you two together) and more reputation references (hunting witches from IDSB) and the way men justify their actions whilst staying quiet and getting women to fight the battles for them. this song is really interesting from a lyrical perspective.
This was actually my 2nd favourite song on the album on 1st listen but I'd say it's dropped to around 11th for me now ohmy.gif the shock of hearing the iconic 'does she mouth, f*** you forever' was iconic *.* and it's definitely the most scathing song lyrically on the album! I love the production touches but idk I don't go back to it as much as I was expecting! This does seem to be amongst most people's bottom half so I'm not too surprised to see it dropout now.

The rate commentary:
onto Taylor's favourite number placing, in 13th we have mad woman, the 12th track on folklore! This is about where I was expecting it, it never really seems to be anyone's highlight but also nobody seems to dislike it. Which is reflected perfectly in the averages, as it scores just two 10's (from Taylor mods *.*, tho I do think I'd drop this to a 9.5 now) and a few 9's, but scoring nothing lower than a six which is impressive! This was such a standout to me on 1st listen but has faded a lil bit with repeat listening, I feel it's one of the tracks on the album with less replay value. However we saw a big average jump to 8.14, insane that over 3/4 of the album scored an average above 8!!

and we have another mini bump for 12th place, which is a song I'm surprised missed the top 10? I'll be revealing the next 5 lowest voters next, followed by 12th and 11th place so any predictions?

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post Aug 3 2020, 09:49 AM
Post #27
Group icon
Two of my favorites out. sad.gif That hurts. I love the piano in both of them.

+Quote this post
John-James
post Aug 3 2020, 09:53 AM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 20,665
Hoax is underrated, the piano is absolutely stunning

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post Aug 3 2020, 09:55 AM
Post #29
Group icon
I heard the clean version of mad woman this weekend and it says "hate you forever" instead.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 3 2020, 09:55 AM
Post #30
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
THE VOTERS AVERAGES: #16-#20

16. Jonjo // 8.53
17. HarryEzra // 8.43
18. JosephStyles // 8.31
19. HausofGhibli // 8.19
19. Josh // 8.19

The raters commentary:
So here are our next highest rates! We zoom past the 8 average with Josh and HausOfGhibli both scoring pretty great averages with their scoring! in 18th we have a major flop from Joseph who's affirming his lack of taste as ever xxxx late rater Harry enters in 17th and after thinking he'd be out in the first section, Jonjo nearly escaped the 2nd section too!!

congrats for still high averages though cheer.gif

after a bump in this section, I can reveal in the #11-#15, we are only increasing from Jonjo's scores by 0.13 ohmy.gif there is also a 3-way-tie! do you think you'll be in this section ohmy.gif All will be revealed after 11th in the folklore rate (now that I've worked out the correct amount of tracks x)

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 3 2020, 09:56 AM
Post #31
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
QUOTE(...ready for it @ Aug 3 2020, 10:55 AM) *
I heard the clean version of mad woman this weekend and it says "hate you forever" instead.

I still haven't heard any of the clean versions yet! (tho I do know betty is changed to straight to hell from f*** myself)

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post Aug 3 2020, 10:01 AM
Post #32
Group icon
I can't wait to have the CD in my hands.

I predict that I will be in the higher part of the voters since I gave a lot of tens. It deserves it. wub.gif

Next out...wow, what would I guess...I wonder if it's epiphany, another favorite.

+Quote this post
London
post Aug 3 2020, 10:07 AM
Post #33
Group icon
London Boy
It’s getting tricky to predict now.
12th and 11th place? I’m going to take a guess @ this is me trying & my tears ricochet. Also wondering about seven but maybe that will come a little higher. Idk!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 3 2020, 02:19 PM
Post #34
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

'you are not like the regulars, the masquerade revellers, drunk as they watch my shattered edges glisten'

12. mirrorball // 8.30

shimmering beautiful: Billy, Blacksquare, Nina West, UltraFolklore [10], MrAndrewMan [9.5] + eight 9's
the rodeo clowns: LM Lou [5], JosephStyles [6]

The song commentary:
mirrorball is the sixth track of folklore, a track position on a Taylor album that is usually synonymous with becoming a single (only the debut's the outside and lover's I think he knows not becoming singles! track 6 are some of her biggest hits - YBWM, mean, 22, SIO, LWYMMD). this is the 2nd Jack Antonoff track we've lost! mirrorball sees Taylor comparing herself to a mirrorball (a reflective disco ball x) as she entertains others and shatters like glass when she's broken. I love the analogy use of a mirrorball and it also recalls Taylor's 2018 AMA's dress when we all thought lover was gonna be a disco-pop album, clown faces on us. the lyrics in the chorus conveys how a mirrorball casts shapes & light on everything in a room. The 'hush' parts reflects some previous lyrics of hers on Red, now embracing spinning in high heels wheres she previously shied away from wearing them in Begin Again cos her lover didn't like it, and 'spinning around' from holy ground. masquerade revelers also brings back shades of Romeo & Juliet. Taylor also uses lots of circus imagery, this can be seen as symbolising her shifting sounds between era's and constantly reinventing herself (damn it feels like I'm doing an English a-level analysis at times with some of this commentary x). mirrorball is a gorgeous song both reflecting on her relationship with Joe and her life around her - both personal and music.
This has probably been the biggest grower on the album for me! there's something so magical about this song, the vocals and productions are beautiful and I love how the vocals go quieter during the 'hush' parts and then boom back in the chorus and the production is v ethereal. Def a major album highlight for me and a song Iv'e been returning to SO much on the album. and also this is the PERFECT song on the album when you're drunk, it is such a vibe. This deserved better. ALSO the Spotify visual for this is so gorgeous <3

The rate commentary:
and at number 12 we have the first track from the first half to the album to fall out which is mirrorball. as Tinashe said, EVERYONE IS SLEEPING ON IT. this is definitely the first big loss for me </3 quite honestly when the rate opened it was probably my 10th or 11th but now it's getting close to cracking my top 5, there's something so magical about it. anyway we see another slight increase in averages to 8.30 and this received 4 10's and quite a lot of 9's. However a few 7's and 8's and a couple low scores means this misses the top 10. I really expected this to place top 10 so this is the first big shock for me! I feel it could place top 10 in a future rate as its such a grower aha

what is the final song that just missed out on the top 10?

+Quote this post
Billy.
post Aug 3 2020, 02:45 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,095
if i had done this rate today mirrorball would've got my 11 tbh - between that an seven.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Aug 3 2020, 02:46 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
How is 'betty' not out yet drama.gif 'mirrorball' the first big loss for me sad.gif

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Aug 3 2020, 02:50 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
QUOTE(Billy. @ Aug 3 2020, 03:45 PM) *
if i had done this rate today mirrorball would've got my 11 tbh - between that an seven.

Possibly for me as well — I keep coming back to it, or listening to it before the rest of the album. There are so many strong songs here... I'll probably find something else to swoon over next week.

This post has been edited by blacksquare: Aug 3 2020, 03:01 PM

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 3 2020, 03:21 PM
Post #38
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
'for the boys who broke my heart, now I send their babies presents'

11. invisible string // 8.34

one single thread of gold: Cremey [11], Ansel, HarryEzra, ...Ready For It [10], John-James, UltraFolklore [9.5]
bad was the blood of the song in the cab: RabbitFurCoat [5], Dandy* [6]

The song commentary:
invisible string is the eleventh track of folklore, making it the first song to fall out in the same position it occurs on the tracklist! (after a couple close calls with peace & mad woman!). this is the fourth Aaron Dessner track to leave us, meaning we have 6 Dessner tracks, 3 Jack tracks + 1 joint one remaining iirc.
invisible string represents a folk myth about a red thread of fate tying two soulmates together and expresses the way previous romantic failures allowed for her to find true love with Joe. Taylor described the song as 'a single thread that, for better or for worse, ties you to your fate.' the production is v. guitar/harp based and is a wide-eyed ode to love. the first verse sees Taylor making connections with colours with green representing new beginnings when she thought she'd meet someone at Centennial Park and the yogurt shop referencing Joe's old part time job at a Frozen Yogurt place (Esmee Denters who x). The folklore narrative of the album is v. obvious here through the folk tale of the 'red string of fate', an ancient legend in East Asia, with the chorus also making illusions to Jane Eyre. In verse 2 and one of the most obvious references on the album that even a casual listener could pick up, Taylor references Bad Blood, highlighting the theme of fate on this song. and I love the linen 'she said I looked like an American singer', a tongue-in-cheek line about Tay getting recognised wherever she goes! Taylor also references 'dive bar' again on this track, which is a clear reference to another love track from a previous album, Delicate! as well as continuing love to = gold after daylight. there's more colour references with 'gave me the blues', using the colour by showing how everything isn't blue anymore on both this track, paper rings, INTHAF & CS. the 3rd verse also makes a direct reference to ex-boyfriend Joe Jonas, as she now buys his babies presents. we all know Joe J broke Tay's heart over the voicemail breakup but now the drama is settled and their fine with each other. I also love how she links back to Centennial Park towards the end of the song with the leaves now being gold and Tay's new relationship blossoming <3
I really do like invisible string but I think it's a bit like Death By A Thousand Cuts for me where the whole fandom is stanning it/has it in their top 5's and I'm just not seeing it. Ofc I love it though but it is in my bottom 4 on the album! The lyrics are fab and its a really cute track and it's a beautiful song <3 I'm lowkey glad it missed the top 10 tho and I oop. though I think the song has just grown on me again after doing the lyrics analysis, damn it's one of the strongest songs lyrically aha its so cute <3

The rate commentary:
at number 11 we have invisible string, which is another surprise for me as I was pretty sure this would come top 10! invisible string is definitely turning into a fan favourite and is one of the more popular songs on streaming, rising above a couple of the tracks ahead of it on the trackless! we see a tiny increase in average to 8.34 (and that tiny increase is also the same margin it missed the top 10 by ohmy.gif). invisible string is the 2nd song to receive an 11 to miss the top 10, soz Cremey! that means 7 of the top 10 received 11 scores from the remaining participants. invisible string also picked up a few 10's and some 9's, however a few lower scores and quite a few average scores means it JUST misses out on a top 10 position.

now we have our top 10, predict away?! would be fab to see a couple of full top 10 predictions x

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 3 2020, 03:23 PM
Post #39
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
The top 10:

august
betty
cardigan
epiphany
exile (ft. Bon Iver)
my tears ricochet
seven
the 1
the last great american dynasty
this is me trying

what are your predictions? what are your hopes? would be amazing to see some full predictions!!

#11-#15 in scorers average is coming later tonight (probs around midnight) and we'll crack on with the top 10 tomorrow cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Ansel
post Aug 3 2020, 03:53 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739
nooo not invisible string missing the top ten! cry.gif

this is my guess at the top ten but watch me get it entirely wrong:
10 this is me trying
9 my tears ricochet
8 seven
7 august
6 betty
5 epiphany
4 the 1
3 cardigan
2 the last great american dynasty
1 exile

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:40 AM