BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Voting Habits & Methods, Have you ever changed the way you vote?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Riser
post 9th April 2021, 01:25 AM
Post #21
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Add me to the "listening blind" crowd, I don't want to be biased based on the country so instead I don't know who sent what until I'm looking at the list to type my votes.

As for the method, I listen through twice, then do a rank based on the 30-second Spotify previews, then listen again to my top 15-20 in full to finalize the order. Sadly I don't have time to listen to the other semifinal so I'm very prone to semi bias during the final.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 9th April 2021, 08:06 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

My method has varied over the years but currently it's to jump straight on the Spotify playlist so I hear all the entries first without knowing who sent what. Obviously there's always the odd couple not on Spotify so have to revert back to the Semi thread to hear them but nothing's fool proof eh.

I then now make only 2 lists, one is songs I'd actively choose to listen to and the other is songs I wouldn't skip if they came on. The rest are eliminated but everything will get 2 listens at least depending on how busy my week is.

I try to listen to all the other entries in the other semi before the final is up now too to try and not fall into subconscious own-semi bias in the final due to familiarity but then again that depends on my schedule for that particular week.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 10th April 2021, 07:51 AM
Post #23
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Quick question I got to wondering about... has there ever been a time in BJSC history where a contest was done anonymously just the same way all other forum song contests are done today? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of such an approach when it comes to awarding points to different songs? thinking.gif

+Quote this post
Silas
post 10th April 2021, 08:13 AM
Post #24
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Yes! BJSC XXIX (29). For what was no noticeable change in voting patterns there was a dramatic drop in activity in the forum so we never did it again. This forum literally is the Song Contest so we don’t really need to be placing any more constraints on discussion than there already is with the confirmations process.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 10th April 2021, 08:42 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

spreadsheet. tracks get moved up or down as I listen to them and colour coded, red for Must Make The Final 10 (or 15), Green for Would Be Nice To Point and black for not-too-fussed. Much as I would love to play them all again I don't have time so it's down to the colour-coded ones only to check the order is about right starting from the bottom, so in theory each track should sound better then the one before - this is how I compile my own charts, bottom to top.

To avoid semi bias, for the final I play only the other semi tracks and merge them on the list from my semi, colour-coded, then play them from the bottom to the top, with my semi as reminder clips. If it's so close that it's tough to sort the order I repeat until it seems to make sense.

When I chart entries in my personal charts it shows the drawbacks of not being able to play tracks a lot as growers have legs over periods of months and others might have short chart runs. I don't play records over and over habitually as I get bored with them more quickly if I hear them a lot, which often applies to my own entries as I play them a lot to see if they still sound worthy on both one play and repeat plays.

I don't think I have any bias on nations, though I sometimes reward anyone that enters something interesting over someone that enters something I like that isn't quite as interesting. I do, though, have expectations from experience that some nations will send stuff I like more often than others. So there might be a bit of reverse-bias going on "Oh that's not as good as usual!" so I need to force myself to make sure I'm not being overly-disappointed due to expectations being higher. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 10th April 2021, 08:46 AM
Post #26
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118

I've found that in the last year with permanent WFH I've found it really easy to come up with a system and give everything enough listens as I can always have music on in the background. There were definitely occasions pre-Covid where a semi would get one listen not in one go which was why my participation was never guaranteed!

I always listen to songs without knowing who's sent them, and won't match up to the country until at least two listens to make sure I eliminate any perceived bias. Generally after one listen I'll eliminate between a quarter and a third of the songs that I don't like, it's very rare I won't listen to a song all the way through, with more being done on each listen, ranking whatever remains after three listens and giving one final listen in lowest-highest order and tweaking if necessary before voting.

I'll then do this again in week 2 for the songs that qualified automatically or from the other semi and then have a go at trying to merge the two lists into one order and doing another final listen through.

I've got admit that whilst I try to treat them equally, any songs not on Spotify can be disadvantaged as they're easier to forget and less convenient

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 10th April 2021, 09:05 AM
Post #27
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

QUOTE(Quarantilas @ Apr 10 2021, 09:13 AM) *
Yes! BJSC XXIX (29). For what was no noticeable change in voting patterns there was a dramatic drop in activity in the forum so we never did it again. This forum literally is the Song Contest so we don’t really need to be placing any more constraints on discussion than there already is with the confirmations process.

I guess that makes sense. Surprising to hear of a dramatic drop in activity though, makes you wonder what the difference might be if the other song contests were not anonymous. Plus it is often a challenge to keep your entry secret until the end, especially when your entry is causing discussion within the forum. laugh.gif I would agree that the way it’s done now is better for BJSC.

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 10th April 2021, 09:40 AM
Post #28
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
User: 2,790

it’s actually rly interesting to hear about everyones voting techniques !

This post has been edited by jakewild: 10th April 2021, 09:40 AM

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 12:57 AM