BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Bré's UK Charts Family Fortunes / RESULTS, results on page 5!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brer
post 10th June 2020, 08:30 PM
Post #21
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

3. Name an album which missed the UK top 40 despite containing at least one UK top 10 single.

4 Kesha - Warrior // Bré, dan-G, Riser, Klumzee, RobBot
2 Emma Bunton - Life In Mono // Lee_J11, Viper*, dj_tim_e
2 Mariah Carey - Charmbracelet // paulgilb, Bjork, JosephStyles
2 Tones And I - The Kids Are Coming // Scene, jimwatts, Dan17F1

1 DJ Snake - Encore // xajnipi, PeteFromLeeds
1 Doja Cat - Hot Pink // Josh!, Dobbo
1 SAINt JHN - Collection One // King Rollo, West

0 Boney M. - Gold // M4NGO
0 The Chainsmokers - Collage // StoneDragon
0 Dannii Minogue - Girl // vibe
0 Holly Valance - State Of Mind // girlsaloudjunkie
0 Jack Ü - Jack Ü // chrissmith276
0 Jason Derulo - Platinum Hits // Jáhq
0 Kelis - Flesh Tone // Jordan Lee
0 Megan Thee Stallion - SUGA // LewisGT
0 Pitbull - Global Warming // *Callum
0 Pixie Lott - Platinum Pixie: Hits // Jade
0 Portugal. The Man - Woodstock // n4yr
0 Tyga - Legendary // awardinary
0 [no answer] // MrAndrewMan

Unsurprisingly this winds up being one of the questions with the lowest score for its top answer - I was expecting this to be very spread out as I thought it wouldn't be too difficult to find a valid answer, but it may be tough for people's logical trains to coincide. As it were, the album I had in mind that inspired this question was Kesha's 2nd studio album 'Warrior' which, released deep into Q4, left a rather rough looking stain on her chart discography by peaking at just #60 despite its lead single 'Die Young' peaking at #7. And that was indeed the top answer, worth a whopping 4 points. Go me.

3 albums apiece were worth either 2 points or 1 point. First among the 2 pointers is Emma Bunton's 'Life In Mono' which seems to be a similar case to Kesha of being screwed over by a Q4 release date, peaking at #65 while home to #3 hit 'Downtown'. I didn't know this was a thing so this is education! Then there's Mariah Carey's somewhat infamous flop 'Charmbracelet', #52 in the UK with #8 peaking single 'Through The Rain', and finally there's Tones And I's EP 'The Kids Are Coming' which is of course home to the monster #1 hit 'Dance Monkey' but never registered at all on the albums chart (I'm assuming it wasn't eligible to chart due to being too short). Then worth a point each are DJ Snake's 'Encore' (#46 in the albums chart and home to #2 peaking 'Let Me Love You' and #10 peaking 'Middle'), SAINt JHN's 'Collection One' (never charted, but home to the original version of 'Roses' which hit #1 following the popularity of Imanbek's remix) and most curiously Doja Cat's 'Hot Pink' which is actually an incorrect answer as it peaked at #38 in the albums chart, but being correct is not a requirement to be worth points so the two of you have got lucky!

I won't comment in detail about all the other answers as we'll be here forever but as I expected the route of going for a greatest hits album is fruitless as although 3 people went for one, they all picked different artists so alas it's 0 points for all three. The other answers (bar MrAndrewMan's lack of an answer) are all correct but also worth nothing. (Incidentally I always thought that Jack Ü album was just ineligible to chart for some reason but it does have a peak of #131 according to Wikipedia so I guess it was just a bizarrely massive underperformance).
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 10th June 2020, 08:30 PM
Post #22
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun
User: 38,591

Thought there would be a lot of different answers for Q3...

This post has been edited by jimwatts: 10th June 2020, 08:31 PM

+Quote this post
RobBot
post 10th June 2020, 08:33 PM
Post #23
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117

AND AGAIN! Come on last minute Rob! *.*

+Quote this post
Jade
post 10th June 2020, 08:34 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

I have no recollection of that Kesha album missing the top 40 oops laugh.gif I should've thought of 'Life In Mono' though!!

'Platinum Pixie' was genuinely the only thing I could think of rotf.gif

+Quote this post
chrissmith276
post 10th June 2020, 08:34 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 18,005

I thought Jack U might have been answered by a few people having been in the Album cover quiz a couple of weeks ago sad.gif

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 10th June 2020, 08:36 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

I thought th obvious answer for Q3 was Mariah - Charmbracelet, that was my instant thought after reading the question smile.gif

+Quote this post
Dan17F1
post 10th June 2020, 08:38 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 35,239

Surprised I got 2 points for Tones and I tbh! I wasn’t even sure it would be a correct answer with it just being an EP.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 10th June 2020, 08:38 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

I went for the most recent no.1 single that wasn't from a top 40 album. At least someone else chose the same one.

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 10th June 2020, 08:39 PM
Post #29
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun

QUOTE(Bjork @ Jun 10 2020, 09:36 PM) *
I thought th obvious answer for Q3 was Mariah - Charmbracelet, that was my instant thought after reading the question smile.gif

I did consider it but thought maybe it was too long ago. I would have gone for Hot Pink if it had actually missed the Top 40 laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Riser
post 10th June 2020, 08:39 PM
Post #30
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Not challenging anyone on #2 but "highest-charting song" implied just one song, not five, which is why I didn't go for Sash tongue.gif On the other hand 'Say So' didn't even cross my mind for a TikTok song, it doesn't help that I don't use TikTok but its popularity seems well and truly beyond that app that I forgot it originated from there!

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post 10th June 2020, 08:40 PM
Post #31
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421

QUOTE(RobBot @ Jun 10 2020, 09:33 PM) *
AND AGAIN! Come on last minute Rob! *.*

You and me are the only two with a 100% record still. GAME ON.

Also I had no idea Kesha was an obvious answer for this laugh.gif I just knew Warrior did shockingly bad!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 10th June 2020, 08:40 PM
Post #32
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I thought about Tones & I but when I looked at her chart history and saw she didn't have a charting album I just assumed she hadn't released one tongue.gif

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 10th June 2020, 08:42 PM
Post #33
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun

QUOTE(chrissmith276 @ Jun 10 2020, 09:34 PM) *
I thought Jack U might have been answered by a few people having been in the Album cover quiz a couple of weeks ago sad.gif

Funnily enough I did consider that album with the dancing pineapple on the cover laugh.gif

+Quote this post
chrissmith276
post 10th June 2020, 08:43 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(jimwatts @ Jun 10 2020, 09:39 PM) *
I did consider it but thought maybe it was too long ago. I would have gone for Hot Pink if it had actually missed the Top 40 laugh.gif

Ha same - I looked up the chart history and saw it had made #38 or #39 so put something else!

+Quote this post
Brer
post 10th June 2020, 08:49 PM
Post #35
Group icon

4. Name a song that is a cover or heavily samples another song and charted higher in the UK than the original version.

8 Calum Scott - Dancing On My Own // Jordan Lee, jimwatts, Lee_J11, Viper*, Riser, LewisGT, Klumzee, Dan17F1, Jade
7 Kygo and Whitney Houston - Higher Love // Bré, xajnipi, Josh!, Jáhq, Dobbo, n4yr, JosephStyles, MrAndrewMan
2 Madonna - American Pie // vibe, girlsaloudjunkie, M4NGO
1 Joel Corry - Sorry // awardinary, chrissmith276
1 Leona Lewis - Run // Scene, Bjork
1 Live Lounge Allstars - Times Like These // paulgilb, PeteFromLeeds

0 Ellie Goulding - River // West
0 Joe McElderry - The Climb // *Callum
0 Jonas Blue - Fast Car (feat. Dakota) // dan-G
0 Madonna - Hung Up // dj_tim_e
0 Natalie Imbruglia - Torn // King Rollo
0 Nathan Dawe - Flowers (feat. Jaykae) // StoneDragon
0 Regard - Ride It // RobBot

The top answer here was a competitive one as well, with two answers running well ahead of everything else. Just about reaching the top is Calum Scott's soul-destroying mangling of Robyn's 'Dancing On My Own', finishing a point ahead of Kygo's slightly less soul-destroying, but still somewhat soul-destroying, mangling of Whitney Houston's cover of 'Higher Love' by Steve Winwood. Both songs peaked at #2, easily beating the original versions (Robyn got to #8 and Winwood got to #13).

Four other answers are worth a point or two. There are two points for Madonna's take on 'American Pie' which hit #1 besting the #2 peak of the Don McLean original. One point for those who went for Joel Corry's soul-destroying mangling of Monsta Boy's 'Sorry (I Didn't Know)' (peaking at #6, well ahead of the original's unjust #25), Leona Lewis' actually rather good rendition of Snow Patrol's 'Run' (#1 compared to #5 for the original) and the Live Lounge Allstars charity version of Foo Fighters' 'Times Like These' (#1 just a few weeks ago while the original stalled at a shockingly low #12).

Ellie Goulding's 'River', another recent #1 and a cover of the Joni Mitchell song that has never charted, isn't worth anything however. Neither is Joe McElderry's #1 (but not Christmas #1) version of Miley Cyrus' #11 hit 'The Climb', or a couple more dance remakes that peaked at #2 in recent years (Jonas Blue & Dakota's 'Fast Car' and Regard's 'Ride It', covers of the Tracy Chapman and Jay Sean tracks that peaked at #4 and #11 respectively). dj_tim_e was bravely the only person to go for a song that used only an instrumental sample - a correct answer as 'Hung Up' peaked at #1 while ABBA's 'Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)' only got to #3, but it's also not worth any points. Finally we have an incorrect answer as thankfully Nathan Dawe & Jaykae's soul-destroying mangling of 'Flowers' by Sweet Female Attitude hasn't yet outpeaked the #2 original, and let's pray it never does.

edit: reading this back I realise that I totally forgot to comment on Natalie Imbruglia's 'Torn', which was a #2 hit that a lot of people don't know was a cover (the original version by Ednaswap did not chart). That answer was also not worth any points unfortunately.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 10th June 2020, 08:51 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

SO annoyed at that one! I was incredibly close to putting Calum but thought Live Lounge Allstars would get more people as a recent #1.

+Quote this post
chrissmith276
post 10th June 2020, 08:52 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

I nearly went for Higher Love as well but thought a song that had a lot of hate on here (Sorry) would garner more points! sad.gif

+Quote this post
Scene
post 10th June 2020, 08:53 PM
Post #38
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

I was sure many would (wrongly kink.gif) put Zayn's megaflop Icarus Falls for #3. Dusk Till Dawn was only on the Japanese edition but I thought some might've assumed it was on the standard edition. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 10th June 2020, 08:53 PM
Post #39
Group icon

(Calum Scott genuinely didn't come to my mind at all, that's probably the most surprising top answer for me - I thought for sure most people would go with one of the more recent songs (i.e. Kygo, Joel Corry, Regard etc.))

+Quote this post
Jade
post 10th June 2020, 08:55 PM
Post #40
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Back in the game *.* 'Dancing On My Own' recently celebrating its 10 year anniversary put it back in my mind! Plus the memorably dull cover of course :')

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 10:02 AM