BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Elvis Books
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
BeautifulAngel
post Jun 4 2008, 03:39 PM
Post #41
Love me tender, love me sweet, never let me go.
Group: Members
Member No.: 188

QUOTE(Tilly @ Jun 2 2008, 08:21 PM) *
Alanna Nash Working On New Book

In August 2007, journalist and biographer Alanna Nash interviewed a number of Elvis' female co-stars, family members, and friends for a Ladies Home Journal article titled 'The Women Who Loved Elvis'. Now she's turning the idea into a book for Harper Entertainment, to be published in time for Elvis' 75th birthday in January 2010. Nash reports the book will be the first comprehensive look at Elvis purely from the female prospective.

'For all his maleness, Elvis was a very woman-centered man, because of his closeness with his mother', she says. 'It was women he could really talk with, and from whom he drew much of his strength. The book will look at a number of his relationships, both platonic and romantic. And part of it will consider how his status as one of the greatest sex symbols of the 20th century formed his stage act and his interactions with the opposite sex'. Anyone with information or contacts that could help with this project is invited to contact Alanna at alannanash @ hotmail.com.

Source: Elvis Australia / Updated: Jun 2, 2008

Wow!! So many new books about Elvis to add to the thousands written before dance.gif You could fill a library with just Elvis books yahoo.gif

I have got a library of just Elvis books cheer.gif yahoo.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tilly
post Jun 30 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #42
I just can't help believin'
Member No.: 191
   No Gallery Pics

Who Is The Greatest: Elvis or The Beatles? (Book Review):

Lasting fame and greatness depend on the test of time. In this context, Susan MacDougall examines the latest university student text which seeks to answer the question of who is the greatest, Elvis or The Beatles?
Is there a definitive answer?

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/bookreview_sus...visbeatles.html

More articles about Elvis and the Beatles cool.gif

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/elvis_beatles_index.html

My opinion is that it's unfair to compare them, they were both pivotal in the history of popular music and their contribution to music is immense thumbup.gif I will say however, that Elvis paved the way for so many who came after, including the Beatles and as John Lennon famously said, 'Before Elvis, there was nothing.' yahoo.gif

+Quote Post
Tilly
post Jul 4 2008, 10:41 PM
Post #43
   No Gallery Pics

Bill Bram is the author of the recent book, Elvis: Frame By Frame.

Bill recently took time out to talk to EIN about how he researched Elvis: Frame By Frame and what he uncovered. In his intriguing interview, Bill discusses many fascinating and little known issues including:
• that Steve McQueen was very interested in making a film with Elvis!
• the controversial "rage reduction" scene in Change of Habit
• do outtakes still exist from Elvis' films?
• the recent destruction of many of Elvis' personal scripts with handwritten notations

(Interview, Source: EIN)

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/interview_bram.html

Book Review: Elvis: Frame By Frame

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/bookreview_bram.html

+Quote Post
Tilly
post Jul 9 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #44
   No Gallery Pics

'Elvis '57: The Final Fifties Tours' Book Review:

In 1957 Elvis performed in eighteen cities, including a short tour of Canada. 'Elvis ’57: the Final Fifties Tours' by Alan Hanson is a detailed look at these tours which started in Chicago and ended with the headline grabbing sensation of the LA Pan Pacific concerts and the final Hawaii trip in November. These would be Elvis' last live appearances before he left for his army stint and would help cement his place in Pop culture forever. This book is a sensational investigation into the phenomenon of Elvis in the fifties presented from a brand new perspective. The reviews from the time are exhilarating . .
"He clutches the mike and begins to sing, twitching all over. . . Up and down the stage he goes, dragging the mike like a captive, undulating, shouting feverishly.... Then his face sets, his lips curl back and seizing the mike by the scruff of the neck he prowls like a panther up and down the platform, snarling and driving his worshippers crazy."

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/bookreview_elvis57.html

+Quote Post
Tilly
post Jul 10 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #45
   No Gallery Pics

Preview - 5 Images from the Inside Love Me Tender Book

Here are 5 preview images from the Inside Love Me Tender book. This deluxe set will contain a 152 page full colour book featuring a lot of unknown stories about Elvis' first movie, many rare and unpublished pictures of Elvis during the filming, at the photo sessions, in the recording studio, at various meetings that were held during the filming etc. Like the previous 'inside' box-sets, this set includes a book, DVD and 7" 45 RPM vinyl single with radio promos. The DVD will contain some interesting footage from the movie set, the premier and the original trailer. The special 45 rpm vinyl single will be a replica of the original The Truth About Me single, recorded on the Love Me Tender set. Get the Elvis Presley Shaped CD Free! ($29.95).

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/preview_in...nder_book.shtml

Looks really good cool.gif

+Quote Post
Tilly
post Aug 5 2008, 10:50 PM
Post #46
   No Gallery Pics

Elvis live at Del Webb's Sahara Tahoe - The World's Best Kept Secret

- You were allowed to take pictures during concerts when Elvis was on tour, but during the engagements at Las Vegas and Lake Tahoe it was prohibited. Sue McCasland was among the very few fans who were able to take pictures. There was a much more intimate atmosphere in Tahoe, because of a smaller showroom, so the risk was higher to get caught while sneaking cameras into the showroom and taking pictures during the concert. With that knowledge, one can appreciate the value of Sue's photos - a real treasure, so to say. And fortunately, Sue has decided to share her personal treasure with the world.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/books/elvi...ahoe_book.shtml

Elvis Book News August 5, 2008

Thank goodness for the sneaky cameramen and women thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
Tilly
post Aug 20 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #47
   No Gallery Pics

Elvis, the New Rage, A Radio History from 1945 to 1955" book garners promotion as collection goes on display:

More than 30 years after his death, Elvis Aron Presley continues to draw fans to his extensive music career. Aaron Webster of Mulkeytown has taken the 45s and record sleeves to another level, culminating in an exhibition that opened in The Buzz located on the Benton Public Square.

“The 45 rpm’s are in acid-free Mylar bags and under glass in 8x16-inch frames,” he said. “My archives include promos, LPs and CDs, more than 30 hours of audio of Presley’s work in the studio and on stage, including 1976 concerts in Carbondale, Champaign and St. Louis, Mo.” Webster said the verdict is still out on the selection of his first name.
“One of my parents says I was named for Elvis, but the other one says I was not,” he said. “I saw Elvis in concert when I was a kid. He was a superhero who was real. If Superman would have had a singing career, he could have been Elvis.”
Webster selected August to display part of his collection for a reason.

“Elvis died on Aug. 16, 1977, in his Memphis home, Graceland,” he said. “I didn’t want the month to go by without having his memory on display.”

Webster said approximately 40 items from his archives are on display in The Buzz.

“I have been collecting Elvis memorabilia for the past 30 years,” he said. “Inside The Buzz, Elvis Presley’s platters are from the 1950s, ’60s, ’70s and beyond and are from the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Spain, France, Germany, Mexico, South America, Japan and Australia. Most foreign-market sleeves were images of the Aloha concert or ’68 NBC, two events considered most iconic.”

Webster said most of the U.S. releases were manufactured in Indianapolis, Ind. “Elvis visited the pressing plant in 1955 and in 1977,” he said. “Seven thousand tons of albums of Elvis Presley’s music have been sold since 1954,” Webster said. “If they were played back to back, it would take 13,000 years to play them all.”

Webster’s research led to a book that took him three years to write.

“Elvis, the New Rage, A Radio History from 1945 to 1955,” was published in 2003, he said.

“Elvis took to the stage for the first time during the 38th annual Mississippi-Alabama State Fair held in Tupelo, Miss., on Oct. 3, 1945, during Children’s Day at the fair. WELO 580 was sponsoring an amateur talent contest,” Webster said. “Elvis’s fifth-grade teacher, Mrs. Oleta Grimes, recommended he perform after hearing him sing ‘Old Shep’ during a morning prayer program at East Tupelo Consolidated School. He won fifth prize, earning him $5.

“Twelve weeks after the talent show, Presley received his first guitar as a birthday present on Jan. 8, 1946,” Webster said. “His mother, Gladys, did not want her son to have a rifle and could not afford a bicycle, so she selected a guitar for $7.91 with tax.”

Webster said Presley was introduced to his first radio personality shortly after receiving the guitar.

“A classmate of Elvis had an older brother named Carvel Lee Ausborn, who went by the name Mississippi Slim,” he said. “Ausborn worked as a guitarist with Goober P. Nutt (Gib Buchanan) and His Kentuckians, a band that originated on WDZ 1050 in Decatur. The group toured throughout Tennessee, Kentucky and Southern Illinois, playing $15 shows.

“According to Slim, he remembers the Presley boy singing on WELO on Saturday, May 15, 1944,” Webster said. “Elvis coerced the radio star to provide some guitar lessons.”

Webster said Presley launched his career as a radio personality.

“A radio program, Louisiana Hayride, was launched on April 3, 1948, in Shreveport, La.,” Webster said. “Elvis was invited to perform on Oct. 16, 1954. On Nov. 6, 1954, Elvis signed a one-year contract with KWKH Radio. The Louisiana Hayride program became the only country and western radio program to rival the Grand Ole Opry.

“He was on the top country music charts in 1955, with ‘I Forgot to Remember to Forget,’ which rose to number eight on the charts,” Webster said. Webster said Presley was the first to receive awards from Billboard magazine.

“During a disc jockey convention in the 1950s, Elvis received three awards during the third annual Country Music Awards,” he said.

Webster said Presley was the first to earn accolades in gospel music.

“He was the first million album seller in the history of gospel music with ‘His Hand in Mine,’” he said.

Webster said he saw Presley in concert.

“I was a young boy when I saw Elvis Presley’s final St. Louis concert in March 1976,” Webster said.

“My father and I were on Elvis Presley Boulevard to witness the funeral procession for the entertainer in August 1977.”

He said other music legends were interested in Presley’s career.

“George Harrison, John Lennon and David Bowie were all in the audience at one time or another to listen to Elvis,” Webster said.

Also a musician, Webster said he is looking forward to the Oct. 4 George Harrison Beatle Festival.

“My brothers and I perform in a band called Fusion,” he said. “We are slated to perform at 3 p.m. My nephew, Garry Peffer Jr., 10, will make his performing debut during our portion of the day’s event. I am really excited about seeing Pete Best perform later that day. I hope to be able to interview him.”

Webster, a disc jockey, produced and hosted a 15-hour Presley radio documentary that received a Silver Microphone Award for Best Audio Program National Finalist in 2000.

“I work at the I-57 Dragstrip on weekends and award copies of my book as prizes for Elvis trivia,” Webster said. “I have also donated autographed copies of my book and some Presley records I have matted to radio stations in Southern Illinois, Memphis, St. Louis, as well as Texas, Ohio and Virginia.”

The book is available at The Buzz, the I-57 Dragstrip and at www.Amazon.com , he said.

(News, Source: Benton Evening News)

+Quote Post
elvislady
post Aug 29 2008, 06:28 PM
Post #48
New Entry
Member No.: 6,948
   No Gallery Pics

I also have many books, i treasure them.
elvislady biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Tilly
post Aug 31 2008, 05:34 PM
Post #49
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(elvislady @ Aug 29 2008, 07:29 PM) *
I also have many books, i treasure them.
elvislady biggrin.gif

Do you have any fave Elvis books, Elvislady?

I’ve not long finished reading the book In Search Of Elvis by Charlie Connelly. It’s a great book where Charlie travels to all sorts of locations around the world looking for the secret of Elvis’ popularity and just why he had such a ‘global reach.’. As the blurb on the back cover says ;-

‘In Search Of Elvis’ takes Charlie to Finland to meet a professor who performs Elvis songs in Latin while wearing a kilt. In Canada he finds the Jewish Elvis impersonator Schmelvis, and meets Elvis Priestley, the minister of the Elvis-themed Anglican church. And Uzbekistan Charlie finds himself performing on national TV alongside the country’s biggest pop singer while wearing dreadful trousers.’

Of course, Charlie also visits the places closest to Elvis’ heart ; Tupelo, Memphis, Las Vegas and Hawaii. The final chapter when Charlie visits a bar in Israel following a trip to Bad Nauheim in Germany where Elvis was posted, sums up Elvis’ ability to unite people from all races and all corners of the globe, in their love of his music and their admiration for the man himself. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found myself laughing out loud at some of Charlie’s tales. I’m sure my fellow coach travellers thought I was bonkers. laugh.gif I would definately recommend this book. It’s light hearted, funny and it reinforces my belief, that as Elvis fans, we’ve got it right. yahoo.gif

Here’s Charlie’s website where he’s added a bonus chapter to the book and where you can hear the recording he made at Sun Studios of 'Blue Moon Of Kentucky', the song that started him on the road in search of Elvis and which followed him on his journey.

http://www.charlieconnelly.com/in-search-of-elvis.htm

+Quote Post
elvislady
post Sep 1 2008, 05:48 PM
Post #50
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

Here are some of my favs. "the inner elvis" i really enjoyed.
elvislady biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Tilly
post Sep 1 2008, 11:47 PM
Post #51
   No Gallery Pics

You have some great books, Elvislady, there's a few there I haven't read including The Inner Elvis. I shall have to look out for that one. The Kathy Westmoreland book is quite rare isn't it? I've heard it's difficult to get hold of now. I did enjoy Elvis and the Memphis Mafia thumbup.gif I love the Guralnick books too!

+Quote Post
elvislady
post Sep 2 2008, 07:50 AM
Post #52
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

Hi tilly, the kathy westmorland i bought from ebay years ago cost me £20.00 i was lucky to get it because it was selling in america for $400 DOLLARS no joke. the inner elvis i had given to me and i really enjoyed it.
elvislady biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Tilly
post Sep 4 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #53
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(elvislady @ Sep 2 2008, 08:51 AM) *
Hi tilly, the kathy westmorland i bought from ebay years ago cost me £20.00 i was lucky to get it because it was selling in america for $400 DOLLARS no joke. the inner elvis i had given to me and i really enjoyed it.
elvislady biggrin.gif

Wow, you certainly got a bargain then thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
Tilly
post Sep 4 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #54
   No Gallery Pics

Jailhouse Rock Assistant Director Robert E. Relyea - new book:

Fans will be able to learn more about Elvis in the fifties when LA's 'Book Soup' store hosts Jailhouse Rock Assistant Director Robert E. Relyea on September 10 to talk about his new book.
Producer Robert E. Relyea, a fifty-year veteran of the movie industry and assistant director on Elvis Presley's most iconic film, Jailhouse Rock, will appear at a world famous book store on the Sunset Strip this month to promote his new action-packed autobiography.
The two-hour signing will take place 7 p.m. Wednesday, September 10 at Book Soup, 8818 Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood. Relyea will be signing copies of 'Not So Quiet On The Set: My Life In Movies During Hollywood’s Macho Era', which promises to become a must read for anyone who yearns to know the "real" stories about the movies.

Co-authored by son Craig Relyea, Not So Quiet On The Set provides a fascinating behind-the-scenes, first person look into Hollywood’s movie-making landscape during the turbulent pre-and post-Kennedy years in America. The book also chronicles Relyea’s relationship with Elvis Presley on the set of Jailhouse Rock and Kid Galahad.
Titbits include:
• When Relyea rushed Presley from the MGM soundstage to Cedars-Sinai Hospital because the singer had swallowed a tooth cap.
• A behind-the-scenes look at the famous dance sequence that became Presley's most enduring image on celluloid.
• How Presley won over the film's veteran cast and crew with his polite manners and sincerity.
• Relyea's take on Presley's romance with co-star Judy Tyler, who died in a tragic automobile accident shortly after Jailhouse Rock was finished.
• Having fun with Presley and the Memphis Mafia on the set of Kid Galahad
The 348-page work includes candid photos of Relyea on the sets of epic films and presents rare insights into the mechanics and politics of film making, defining a dynamic period in motion picture history. A unique collaboration between father and son, Not So Quiet On The Set not only illustrates how the movie industry really works, but also provides a revealing portrait of Hollywood’s loss of innocence. For more information, go to www.booksoup.com or click here www.NotSoQuietOnTheSet.com.

(News, Source;EIN/Marshall Terrill)

+Quote Post
Tilly
post Sep 17 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #55
   No Gallery Pics

The Memphis Recording Service is hard at work on a high quality, coffee table hardcover book showcasing images of Elvis' beloved Graceland mansion, to be titled, Elvis Presley's Graceland - Through The Years 1957-77. At this time the plan is still for a 2008 release, however due to the massive amount of work, research, writing and photos involved, it is possible the release may be delayed until early 2009.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/books/elvi...s_1957_77.shtml

Elvis Book News, Elvis News September 17, 2008

Sounds good thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
Tilly
post Sep 29 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #56
   No Gallery Pics

Book Review:

"The Man Who Made ELVIS Laugh"

Sammy Shore's second memoir is filled with wonderful stories about his time with Elvis and the countless other celebrities who he either opened for, or were his good friends.
From Red Skelton, Bob Hope and Glen Campbell to Barbra Steisand, Sid Caesar and Ann-Margret, Sammy's memoir lives up to its by line of "A Life in American Comedy".
There are many delicious one liners and more involved jokes to keep the reader smiling as you engage in Sammy's trip down memory lane to a sadly by-gone era - the Golden Era of Comedy.

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/bookreview_man...elvislaugh.html

(Book Review, Source: EIN)

+Quote Post
Tilly
post Nov 4 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #57
   No Gallery Pics

Teenager's Hero

A new book entitled "Teenager's Hero" by Steve Rino is due for release tis December from Teenagers Hero Publishing.

From the press-release:

This is the definitive book-documentary of Elvis’ live performances in early 1956. With more than 400 pages, sized 30x21 and featuring 445 photos mostly unpublished and never put in the right context. The book has high quality design (soft cover 300 g, cloth binding, and 150 glossy pages), 1000 copies printed, each copy numbered.

In the beginning the book was thought to be one volume only about the 1956, but due to the great quantity of material that we were able to find during in this period and also the different aspects of Elvis activity during the same year, we decided to give life to two different volumes.

The first volume, has as its focus Elvis’ live activity in the first six months of 1956. The author Steve Rino spent two years of research to give life to a day by day photo journal where together with a scientific approach of the day, has been put together a professional layout with relative photos taken from newspapers, magazines and his personal collection. In trying to bring to the reader a feeling of the time through images, newspaper & magazines clips we give life, we hope, to something unique and new in the landscape of books about Elvis. We are proud of the in-depth research of every detail of every one of the 180 days listed, trying to putting in the right order all information, news, photo and tales coming from this difficult research.

Inside the web-site you can have access through the links to a lot a more details about the book's contents, quality and price.

The book will be available, we hope, in December. A pre-order can be made using the web shop section of this website or by the usual dealer.

Source: Email / Updated: Nov 3, 2008

This looks really good! Will have to look out for it thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
BeautifulAngel
post Nov 5 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #58
Love me tender, love me sweet, never let me go.
Member No.: 188

I was reading about this book yesterday, i was going to post about it,, then the phone rang and i got a little distracted. rolleyes.gif

Thanks for posting Carole, i will have to look out for it yahoo.gif

+Quote Post
Tilly
post Dec 6 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #59
   No Gallery Pics

Elvis For Dummies yahoo.gif

Due for release July 24, 2009 from John Wiley & Sons is the 384 pages book "Elvis For Dummies" by Susan Doll (ISBN: 0470472022).

Source: Elvis Club Berlin / Updated: Dec 5, 2008

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elvis-Dummies-Susa...0009&sr=8-1

+Quote Post
Tilly
post Jan 15 2009, 12:05 AM
Post #60
   No Gallery Pics

Top Ten Elvis Books:

Robert Fontenot, About.com has compiled his list of the Top 10 books released about Elvis. While not everyone will agree with Robert's list, it makes for interesting reading:
Since Elvis Presley was not only the "King" but also arguably the most famous entertainer of the 20th century, there are of course books (ghost)written about him by everyone, it seems, who ever met the man. And his significance in music history has led to endless print discussions of him as a musician, celebrity, and icon. But Elvis was also the most aggressively private star of his time, difficult to know even by those who knew him best. These books attempt to understand him from all angles.

"Elvis," Dave Marsh
There are a number of books that explore Elvis more intently from different viewpoints, but this is the only one to define him in all ways at once -- who he was as a person, why he rose, what he meant to music and culture, why he was so loved and hated, why he fell. As a result, this is the first book to buy if you're wondering what all the fuss was about, but there's plenty of thoughtful eulogy for hardcore fans, too. The stunning Bea Feitler photos are alone worth the price of purchase.

2. "Last Train To Memphis" and "Careless Love," Peter Guralnick
The best of the in-depth attempts to understand Elvis as all things to all people, Guralnick's two-volume, 1600-page monster (the post-Army Careless Love being the second half) offers painstaking (and sometimes painful) detail on what life the King was, in fact, leading while worshipped from afar. Sort of a rise-and-fall tale that substitutes The Pelvis for the Roman Empire, and often cited as the greatest rock and roll biograohy ever written, it's a must for any Elvis fan.

3. "That's Alright, Elvis," James Dickerson and Scotty Moore
Guitarist Scotty Moore, who worked with Elvis at Sun and beyond, was one of the handful of people present when Presley "created" rock and roll, but his memories are even more valuable than that fact would indicate: he was also one of the King's favorite people (if not quite a close friend, but who was?). Add to that the fact that he knew Elvis well for three full years before the Sun sessions, and this becomes the most important (and least sensational) of the "insider" books.

4. "Elvis Day by Day," Peter Guralnick
Ernst Jorgensen's Elvis Presley: A Life in Music: The Complete Recording Sessions is the bible for those who want to know what Elvis did in the studio and when, but for the big day-by-day picture of the King's life, you want this lavishly illustrated coffeetable book, which utilizes Guralnick's wordsmithing and Jorgenson's archivism to paint a very intimate portrait of Presley's life. Want to play detective and figure out who the real Elvis was? Here's 400 pages of (often surprising) evidence.

5. "Elvis: A Radio History From 1945 to 1955," Aaron Webster
A simple and straightforward tome: transcripts of radio interviews and descriptions of performances that Elvis made in the postwar era. But what a revelation! Presley was walled away from the public, both by accident and design, after his initial success, but before then he was an open book, and this book attempts to show us the Elvis we might have met on the street before he became an icon. Essential reading for those who think his professional life started in 1954.

6. "Elvis! Elvis! Elvis! The King at the Movies," Peter Guttmacher
A book that exists to fill a vacuum, but it's a fun and necessary job: a look at the thirty-one (!!!) films the King made in his thirteen-year screen career. Many folks snicker at these films, but in his earliest years of stardom, Presley was thought of as a possible successor to James Dean. Film historian Guttmacher examines the evidence and offers the hard facts on every single film, including full-color reproductions of every poster and loads of rare on-the-set photos! Fun and fascinating.

7. "The Girls' Guide to Elvis," Kim Adelman
Many male music lovers admired the King, but all the girls simply adored him, and so this crushworthy salute to Elvis also addresses a need. It's subtitled "The Clothes, The Hair, The Women & More," and that about sums up the kicky (and yet surprisingly in-depth and archival) approach to all things Elvis. Not born when he made millions swoon? Want to relive old slumber-party memories? This book can help. See Elvis on dates! Go with him on shopping sprees! Gossip about his girlfriends!

8. "The Death of Elvis," James P. Cole, Charles Thompson
Elvis Presley died as he lived -- mired in controversy. And the unfortunate circumstances of his demise have been fodder for tabloids since before his burial. Cole and Thompson, newsmen both, prove that Presley died from drug abuse and not heart failure through a long and sadly detailed look at the last decade of his life. This is the definitive book on the causes of his death, which is why it's here, but it's not for everyone -- no morbid factoid is spared the reader. Approach with caution.

9. "Dead Elvis: A Chronicle of a Cultural Obsession," Greil Marcus
This, on the other hand, is not about Elvis death at all, but his afterlife -- that is, the fixation that the world still has with him, inspired by the many "sightings" of Presley in the years following his death. Irreverant and often hilarious, this series of essays (by one of rock's most venerated critics) works from the premise that he's worth more dead to us than alive, that Elvis represents "the necessity existing in every culture to produce a perfect, all-inclusive metaphor for itself."

10. "The Elvis Treasures," Robert Gordon
Examining Elvis Presley's possessions makes as much sense as examining those of King Tut -- he was our boy-king, after all. A gorgeous "interactive" book assembled by historian Robert Gordon with the help of the Graceland estate, The Elvis Treasures features an hour-long CD of interviews and 22 removable documents. And those are just the bonuses. Personal letters, business contracts, invitations, greeting cards, handwritten plays for "Memphis Mafia" football games...it's all here. And then some!

Only read half of them so looks like I've got some more Elvis reading to do w00t.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:39 PM